After 14 Years, I Started Flying Again

Flying is the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

I've used Microsoft Flight Simulator for the past 15 years and also was a member of an online squad that recreated WW2 missions in the Pacific. We used ded reckoning calculations in all our flights as the flight simulators we used were the entire world and used real latitudes and longitudes.

What are you flying now?

I am flying a C-172 but previously owned a 1970 Mooney M20C. Really enjoyed getting my taildragger endorsement years ago as well in a Citabria that was a blast to fly.

-Geaux

You are getting recertified? Do they still require you to understand and fly using VORs and ADF? Or is it all GPS now? And I imagine a C-172 is quite the step back from the jets.

I never flew jets per say, I was the idiot photo chase photographer in the back where the RIO used to ride when the F-4's were making hay. However, I do have about 3 hours left seat in a US Navy P3 Orion. They used to let me fly it (at cruise) when we were working on things around Wake Island and Kwajalein.

When I stopped flying in 03' GPS was just coming on line for GA aircraft. Now? Even the 172's have some glass. The one I'm flying has a nice moving map coupled to the Garmin 430. But the big change I see is the use of IPads. I broke out a VFR sectional and the CFI asked "what is that" ? We use those for sun shades these days. The IPad provides all things needed. I used to have approach chart subscriptions that are today, only needed as a backup as the approach plates are now on the Ipad using an App called Foreflight. You can file your flight plan, view approach and en-route charts, and when coupled to a weather receiver, view weather overlay on the Ipad chart. Unless I decide to get an Instrument Proficiency Check I doubt I will get that involved again. Paper will be just fine. Yes, GPS rules the day but we still have the radios required for VOR nav. Not many planes with ADF anymore. If one does, its just an AM radio to listen to music or the game. lol. And yes, after a 14 year lapse, I was signed off by a CFI after 3.5/hrs of duel.

-Geaux

"I broke out a VFR sectional and the CFI asked "what is that" ?" It has changed that much? That happened fast. I have also heard talk of VOR being phased out. I don't think it a good idea to get rid of all these older ways of navigating completely. We're talking about flying, there has to be a backup to GPS. No human mechanical system is foolproof and it will fail at some point. Having a tablet with a weather overlay has to be a huge plus for GA pilots I would think. Very interesting to hear how aviation is changing and how quickly it is happening.

Yes, the digital age I think can be dangerous. On this mornings flight, I departed John Tune airport in Nashville and flew north up the Cumberland river to buzz the old family farm. My uncles, mom et al, were out waving as I went over the top of their places. I learned to fly out West in So Cal and we were trained to keep radio chatter to a minimum. Down south here, many uncontrolled fields use the same frequency. As I was flying into Springfield (KM91) a couple planes up in Bowling Green were flying the VOR arc there and just talking endlessly about nothing. I finally got in to report I was on the 45 for the left downwind RWY 4 Springfield. I heard another aircraft call out on the freak that there was a Cessna coming in not talking on the radio.... Sigh.......... BTW, even though I was talking, it is not a requirement to do so at an uncontrolled field.

5 miles out of Nashville picked up some rain..

Reminded me of old times and my 68 mile drive back home must be what a good smoke is like after sex

-Geaux

Sounds like a great time for a pilot! When you file a VFR flightplan these days do you include the VOR's along the way, do you even navigate by them at all? And if you don't do you mark them on your flight path 'just in case' it gets foggy or IMC real quick? I'm sure you use the iPad for weather info but it can change on a dime.

Flying is the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

or with clothes off while joining the

mile high club

It has changed that much? That happened fast. We're talking about flying, there has to be a backup to GPS. No human mechanical system is foolproof and it will fail at some point. Having a tablet with a weather overlay has to be a huge plus for GA pilots I would think. Very interesting to hear how aviation is changing and how quickly it is happening.

My friend, you would be stunned into disbelief if you could see what became of the modern pilot starting over 20 years ago.

It has nothing to do with technology or the navigational aids. It's what we allowed the technology to do to our pilot culture.

We call young pilots "Children of the Magenta" after a speech that was given 20 years ago. Yes, 20 years ago, this was clearly identified as a cultural problem.

You may not understand some of the terms but I think you'll find this interesting:

1997. 25 minutes.

Last edited:
It has changed that much? That happened fast. We're talking about flying, there has to be a backup to GPS. No human mechanical system is foolproof and it will fail at some point. Having a tablet with a weather overlay has to be a huge plus for GA pilots I would think. Very interesting to hear how aviation is changing and how quickly it is happening.

My friend, you would be stunned into disbelief if you could see what became of the modern pilot starting over 20 years ago.

It has nothing to do with technology or the navigational aids. It's what we allowed the technology to do to our pilot culture.

We call young pilots "Children of the Magenta" after a speech that was given 20 years ago. Yes, 20 years ago, this was clearly identified as a cultural problem.

You may not understand some of the terms but I think you'll find this interesting:

1997. 25 minutes.

Thanks for posting up the video I watched in entirety as aviation is one of my great interests. I understood all of the terms. Although I have only done flight simming the last 15 years I have studied and can read VFR and IFR charts and maps (80% I'd say) and know most of the abbreviations and acronyms though there are a ton of them with new ones added regularly. CFIT was a surprise as it seemed sadly comical when I first read what it meant.

There was the film Executive Decision in 1997 where Kurt Russell as a new GA pilot has to take control of an airliner and land it, far fetched and 'a movie' but he noted some important things. 'Fly the airplane' and 'stick and rudder'. The size of the aircraft means a lot more systems to manage but it still flies by the same principles as every other aircraft. Airspeed, attitude, altitude. A twin engine tubroprop iced up and crashed 6-7 years ago with the pilot doing the opposite of what was required. They stalled and he pulled the stick back and nose of the aircraft up, worsening the stall. He should have eased it forward to force the nose down to gain airspeed and avoid stall. In contrast to Scully who hand flew and landed an airliner on the water because he understood through a lot of experience the needs to maintain flight in the situation he was in. Also of note was John F Kennedy Jr who lost situational awareness at night over water and crashed. He must have panicked and ignored his instruments, specifically the attitude indicator or artificial horizon. (I haven't seen any of the official reports on what happened). All aircraft have the six main gauges to maintain safe level flight, even the glass cockpits. Flying is flying.

And yes I am surprised that airline pilots don't know when to release automatic systems and take control by rote. It should be automatic, you see or have a problem take control and get the aircraft into a safe attitude and speed. Then go back to automatic systems if warranted. I learned via combat flight simming that your energy state, or big E, is all important. You can make mistakes at altitude but closer to the ground or on approach to landing and stall speed you can't be underspeed or having to make large adjustments to flight path and that is multiplied greatly if you are landing an airliner.

Panel says less experience OK for airline pilots

This is an area where politics should have no say. I don't post this for political reasons, I just read this a while ago and thought "why would anyone think this a good idea".

1997. 25 minutes.

Thanks for posting up the video I watched in entirety as aviation is one of my great interests. I understood all of the terms. Although I have only done flight simming the last 15 years I have studied and can read VFR and IFR charts and maps (80% I'd say) and know most of the abbreviations and acronyms though there are a ton of them with new ones added regularly. CFIT was a surprise as it seemed sadly comical when I first read what it meant.

There was the film Executive Decision in 1997 where Kurt Russell as a new GA pilot has to take control of an airliner and land it, far fetched and 'a movie' but he noted some important things. 'Fly the airplane' and 'stick and rudder'. The size of the aircraft means a lot more systems to manage but it still flies by the same principles as every other aircraft. Airspeed, attitude, altitude. A twin engine tubroprop iced up and crashed 6-7 years ago with the pilot doing the opposite of what was required. They stalled and he pulled the stick back and nose of the aircraft up, worsening the stall. He should have eased it forward to force the nose down to gain airspeed and avoid stall. In contrast to Scully who hand flew and landed an airliner on the water because he understood through a lot of experience the needs to maintain flight in the situation he was in. Also of note was John F Kennedy Jr who lost situational awareness at night over water and crashed. He must have panicked and ignored his instruments, specifically the attitude indicator or artificial horizon. (I haven't seen any of the official reports on what happened). All aircraft have the six main gauges to maintain safe level flight, even the glass cockpits. Flying is flying.

And yes I am surprised that airline pilots don't know when to release automatic systems and take control by rote. It should be automatic, you see or have a problem take control and get the aircraft into a safe attitude and speed. Then go back to automatic systems if warranted. I learned via combat flight simming that your energy state, or big E, is all important. You can make mistakes at altitude but closer to the ground or on approach to landing and stall speed you can't be underspeed or having to make large adjustments to flight path and that is multiplied greatly if you are landing an airliner.

Panel says less experience OK for airline pilots

This is an area where politics should have no say. I don't post this for political reasons, I just read this a while ago and thought "why would anyone think this a good idea".

Scully was also a sailplane pilot, as was Dave Cronin years back with United Flight 811 when it suffered an inflight decompression. Cronin saved the aircraft when no one was able to on the simulators afterwards. The idea that they would allow inexperienced pilots to get their ATP ticket is simply absurd.

I am flying a C-172 but previously owned a 1970 Mooney M20C. Really enjoyed getting my taildragger endorsement years ago as well in a Citabria that was a blast to fly.

-Geaux

You are getting recertified? Do they still require you to understand and fly using VORs and ADF? Or is it all GPS now? And I imagine a C-172 is quite the step back from the jets.

I never flew jets per say, I was the idiot photo chase photographer in the back where the RIO used to ride when the F-4's were making hay. However, I do have about 3 hours left seat in a US Navy P3 Orion. They used to let me fly it (at cruise) when we were working on things around Wake Island and Kwajalein.

When I stopped flying in 03' GPS was just coming on line for GA aircraft. Now? Even the 172's have some glass. The one I'm flying has a nice moving map coupled to the Garmin 430. But the big change I see is the use of IPads. I broke out a VFR sectional and the CFI asked "what is that" ? We use those for sun shades these days. The IPad provides all things needed. I used to have approach chart subscriptions that are today, only needed as a backup as the approach plates are now on the Ipad using an App called Foreflight. You can file your flight plan, view approach and en-route charts, and when coupled to a weather receiver, view weather overlay on the Ipad chart. Unless I decide to get an Instrument Proficiency Check I doubt I will get that involved again. Paper will be just fine. Yes, GPS rules the day but we still have the radios required for VOR nav. Not many planes with ADF anymore. If one does, its just an AM radio to listen to music or the game. lol. And yes, after a 14 year lapse, I was signed off by a CFI after 3.5/hrs of duel.

-Geaux

"I broke out a VFR sectional and the CFI asked "what is that" ?" It has changed that much? That happened fast. I have also heard talk of VOR being phased out. I don't think it a good idea to get rid of all these older ways of navigating completely. We're talking about flying, there has to be a backup to GPS. No human mechanical system is foolproof and it will fail at some point. Having a tablet with a weather overlay has to be a huge plus for GA pilots I would think. Very interesting to hear how aviation is changing and how quickly it is happening.

Yes, the digital age I think can be dangerous. On this mornings flight, I departed John Tune airport in Nashville and flew north up the Cumberland river to buzz the old family farm. My uncles, mom et al, were out waving as I went over the top of their places. I learned to fly out West in So Cal and we were trained to keep radio chatter to a minimum. Down south here, many uncontrolled fields use the same frequency. As I was flying into Springfield (KM91) a couple planes up in Bowling Green were flying the VOR arc there and just talking endlessly about nothing. I finally got in to report I was on the 45 for the left downwind RWY 4 Springfield. I heard another aircraft call out on the freak that there was a Cessna coming in not talking on the radio.... Sigh.......... BTW, even though I was talking, it is not a requirement to do so at an uncontrolled field.

Reminded me of old times and my 68 mile drive back home must be what a good smoke is like after sex

-Geaux

Sounds like a great time for a pilot! When you file a VFR flightplan these days do you include the VOR's along the way, do you even navigate by them at all? And if you don't do you mark them on your flight path 'just in case' it gets foggy or IMC real quick? I'm sure you use the iPad for weather info but it can change on a dime.

VFR flight plans are kind of a thing from the past. Most places around the country you can get 'Flight Following' from the controlling center if you're high enough. If not, some of the local approach controls will provide it for you 'time permitting'. Essentially, they provide you a transponder squawk code and will call out traffic for you. Once established, they will pass you off to the next controlling facility down the line as you progress along your route.

In So Cal, unless I was staying very close to home, I would always file IFR, even on CAVU days

-Geaux

Thanks for posting up the video I watched in entirety as aviation is one of my great interests. I understood all of the terms.

That's great. I didn't mean to be condescending. With all the response to this thread, we should start a flying page. I'm so glad you watched "Children of the Magenta" from 20 years ago. You're now more aware than some pilots are unfortunately.

And yes I am surprised that airline pilots don't know when to release automatic systems and take control by rote.

I'm with you. It just boggles my mind.

I see it every month. We train inexperienced and experienced pilots, "new age" and "classically seasoned" to get their type rating on our business jet. It is only natural that while learning they make mistakes in programing the FMS or selecting the wrong mode on the AFCS. When this happens, the simulator wanders off altitude, course or both. Classically seasoned pilots will immediately disconnect the AFCS and manually maintain course and altitude and command the other pilot to "fix that". New age pilots will go heads down and stare at the box as the simulator goes further off heading and altitude. Even though they are still unfamiliar with our FMS and AFCS, they dive into it trying to "fix that" while the simulator continues to wander off course and altitude. That's when we stop the sim and have a chat.

Today, we have a thinning mixture of classic and new age pilots so they even each other out. The new guys help the old guys with the technology. The old guys TRY to pass along the age old art of flying. But very soon, the Children of the Magenta will be the Captains and they will be raising the next generation of pilots. What will the future hold?

-Geaux

-Geaux

VFR flight plans are kind of a thing from the past. Most places around the country you can get 'Flight Following' from the controlling center if you're high enough. If not, some of the local approach controls will provide it for you 'time permitting'. Essentially, they provide you a transponder squawk code and will call out traffic for you. Once established, they will pass you off to the next controlling facility down the line as you progress along your route.

In So Cal, unless I was staying very close to home, I would always file IFR, even on CAVU days

-Geaux

I've flown some on VATSIM which provides Flight Following type of procedures for VFR flights. I actually learned how most of the airspace around LAX works and it is quite odd. You can fly north south over the runway at certain altitudes if I remember correctly and there are all these strange corridors. Watching the activity there on FlightAware is something else. The ATC has to be on their game there I would think, as with all the large airports.

I assume Victor airways are still in use? I haven't flown much (again, flight simming is not real world flying but much of it gets close I think) the past year or so. I will have to reengage it and get back up to speed.

Thanks for posting up the video I watched in entirety as aviation is one of my great interests. I understood all of the terms.

That's great. I didn't mean to be condescending. With all the response to this thread, we should start a flying page. I'm so glad you watched "Children of the Magenta" from 20 years ago. You're now more aware than some pilots are unfortunately.

And yes I am surprised that airline pilots don't know when to release automatic systems and take control by rote.

I'm with you. It just boggles my mind.

I see it every month. We train inexperienced and experienced pilots, "new age" and "classically seasoned" to get their type rating on our business jet. It is only natural that while learning they make mistakes in programing the FMS or selecting the wrong mode on the AFCS. When this happens, the simulator wanders off altitude, course or both. Classically seasoned pilots will immediately disconnect the AFCS and manually maintain course and altitude and command the other pilot to "fix that". New age pilots will go heads down and stare at the box as the simulator goes further off heading and altitude. Even though they are still unfamiliar with our FMS and AFCS, they dive into it trying to "fix that" while the simulator continues to wander off course and altitude. That's when we stop the sim and have a chat.

Today, we have a thinning mixture of classic and new age pilots so they even each other out. The new guys help the old guys with the technology. The old guys TRY to pass along the age old art of flying. But very soon, the Children of the Magenta will be the Captains and they will be raising the next generation of pilots. What will the future hold?

Hard to understand why they would not require the older stuff as an extra class or two. We're talking about lives at stake every time a plane takes off, why the nonchalance at cutting corners? I just do not get that. Far better to be over-prepared than under-prepared.

I also think this would apply to new 'driverless' cars. The technology is no where near ready to have software drive a car in the real world safely enough at all times. Too many variables and subtleties that the human mind can see coming and compensate for that a sensor can't. Maybe in another 25 years, but not now.

I'm a little late to the party, but yea, I'm a pilot. I haven't flown in a while since life got in the way. I just flew 152's and 172's, but I had fun.

I've flown IN some cool shit like a T-6 texan. The pilot let me do a roll myself and we did a few loops and such. It's really a good solid flying airplane, just kinda heavy. I also flew briefly in a Falcon 10. That's a missile with a man in it.

-Geaux

-Geaux

-Geaux

I've flown some on VATSIM which provides Flight Following type of procedures for VFR flights. I actually learned how most of the airspace around LAX works and it is quite odd. You can fly north south over the runway at certain altitudes if I remember correctly and there are all these strange corridors. Watching the activity there on FlightAware is something else. The ATC has to be on their game there I would think, as with all the large airports.

I assume Victor airways are still in use? I haven't flown much (again, flight simming is not real world flying but much of it gets close I think) the past year or so. I will have to reengage it and get back up to speed.

Yes, the Airways are still in use. I used to fly Victor 27 3 times a week back in the day!

I think this should play. Disregard the length as it is not a 1 hour video. And as I mentioned, quality is poor. Best if not maximized

-Geaux

I think that would be a hell of a ride from any seat. Very cool. It looked like the other jet was less than ten feet away as you were coming in for landing. And altitude 15k-19k on the bomb drop? What a ride that had to have been.

Any other pilots out there?

Oh man, what a joy. Flying was very addictive for me and I had to put it down for 14 years. Being retired now, I spent a couple days driving into Nashville getting current again.

Life is good

-Geaux
========

I haven't flown in years. I had the world's greatest instructor ever and I flew a Piper Tomahawk. I haven't thought about this in a really long time.

Kids.........they expect food and housing and clothing and crap. Who knew?

I soloed 43 years ago today on my 16th birthday in a Cessna 152. I can remember it as clearly as if I just shut down the engine over 11,000 flight hours ago.

The shirt tail they cut off of me that day is still one of my proudest possessions. It hangs on my bedroom closet door.

I remember the words of my flight instructor that has echoed true through the years. A great life lesson to start a teenager off with:

"Flying is a series of minor corrections."

And so has been life.

152Panel.jpg

Forum List

Back