ACLU files suit on Arizona law

"a Latino citizen studying at Arizona State University, whose New Mexico driver's license would not be accepted as proof of citizenship under the law"

:eusa_shhh:

Keep repeating that, then ask why the officer didn't accept it. There is always two sides to every story. And this who;le case sounds like a story.

"and a Jamaican immigrant, who fears police will not believe the photocopy of a judge's order that he be allowed to stay in the country, the only paperwork he has that gives him legal status here."

Now I'm not an immigration expert but I believe you need more than a photocopy of some judicial order to be in the USA. Like a passport with a Visa, or maybe a greencard, how about a student Visa.............

I don't think it's legal to ask em as a citizen to prove I am one---at a traffic stop for a civil offense.

---

Why All Americans Should Carry ID Papers - Christopher Dickey - Newsweek.com

"a Latino citizen studying at Arizona State University, whose New Mexico driver's license would not be accepted as proof of citizenship under the law"

:cuckoo:

you got a link showing that an out of state DL would not be accepted Dev....i know Truth wont show me one...cause she dont have one....but you are little smarter than she....

Arizona's immigration law: ACLU, civil rights groups file lawsuit - latimes.com

The individual plaintiffs include a 70-year-old U.S. citizen of Spanish and Chinese descent, who says he's been stopped twice by Arizona police asking for "papers"; a Latino citizen studying at Arizona State University, whose New Mexico driver's license would not be accepted as proof of citizenship under the law; and a Jamaican immigrant, who fears police will not believe the photocopy of a judge's order that he be allowed to stay in the country, the only paperwork he has that gives him legal status here.

Let me see if I understand this correctly - this law is NOT in effect yet and we have the loony tune ACLU filing lawsuits??? What is wrong with this picture???? When did this take place????

you got a link showing that an out of state DL would not be accepted Dev....i know Truth wont show me one...cause she dont have one....but you are little smarter than she....

I have no idea to what exactly you are asking. I am only responding to what was quoted. I would have to read the law again...and that is a waste of time.

Are you asking about the specifics of the lawsuit?

Harry, here is a quote from the news article: "a Latino citizen studying at Arizona State University whose New Mexico driver's license would not be accepted as proof of citizenship under the law; "

It is part of the law suit. It appears the latino student had a driver's license issued by the state of New Mexico and the state of Arizona refused to accept it as a valid form of citizenship. Weird.

The individual plaintiffs include a 70-year-old U.S. citizen of Spanish and Chinese descent, who says he's been stopped twice by Arizona police asking for "papers"; a Latino citizen studying at Arizona State University, whose New Mexico driver's license would not be accepted as proof of citizenship under the law; and a Jamaican immigrant, who fears police will not believe the photocopy of a judge's order that he be allowed to stay in the country, the only paperwork he has that gives him legal status here.

Let me see if I understand this correctly - this law is NOT in effect yet and we have the loony tune ACLU filing lawsuits??? What is wrong with this picture???? When did this take place????
reading and comprehension not your strong suit?
:eek:

another moron?

sigh

check it out-
Several civil rights organizations filed a lawsuit Monday seeking to halt a controversial new Arizona law
-happens all the time :eusa_whistle:

Dear idiots, all three people in the suit are either citizens or are here legally.

Cant you fucking read?

the law aint even in effect yet dipshit.....so how can one guy say he was pulled over because of the law?.....and 2 others are speculating this will happen to them apparently without having enough intellect to see if their id is good enough.....these 3 are as about as bright as you are Truth....

Remember.. TM is stamped with "stupid"

TM is a lying,spinning one sided biased piece of shit....

the law aint even in effect yet dipshit.....so how can one guy say he was pulled over because of the law?.....and 2 others are speculating this will happen to them apparently without having enough intellect to see if their id is good enough.....these 3 are as about as bright as you are Truth....

Remember.. TM is stamped with "stupid"

TM is a lying,spinning one sided biased piece of shit....

:eek::eek:

You do realise "TM" => "TruthMatters!!!"

where was this happening?

----------------

where have you been Dev?....remember the DC case....i believe Chicago is doing this right now.....ACLU MIA....when i googled this question i got a few answers from different sites, all of them told me basically the same thing.....the ACLU is against the second part.....the right of the people to bear arms.....they dont think thats what it means.....they feel the first part sums it up....a MILITIA has that right,not the populace.....so they wont take a stand on it....or defend someone on this....American Civil Liberties Defenders?.....only if they agree with the cause i guess.........now if some Pedophile or Felon was suing on this....they would take the case....

i love people bashing the aclu as if they would be able to post freely on the internet without the aclu & eff fighting for them

hey Blu....question.....where was the ACLU when the 2nd Amendment was being dragged through the courts the last few years?
The ACLU doesn't get involved in second amendment cases because they feel the NRA does a decent enough job.

You may as well ask why the NRA doesn't get involved in free speech or freedom of religion cases.

sorry not what i found out.....read post no 91.......^^^

:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

please ST don't be dumb, how can they sue over a law that has yet to be enacted?

Harry, here is a quote from the news article: "a Latino citizen studying at Arizona State University whose New Mexico driver's license would not be accepted as proof of citizenship under the law; "

It is part of the law suit. It appears the latino student had a driver's license issued by the state of New Mexico and the state of Arizona refused to accept it as a valid form of citizenship. Weird.

thats what i am asking Dev.....i dont see any thing here from the State of Arizona saying ...its not valid.....just a statement from ...who?...who said his DL would not be accepted...the ACLU?....the student?.....as far as i have always been led to believe.....one States DL ...as long as its not expired and has a photo with correct info on it.....is a legal ID in all 50 States....so until i see a statement from the State of Arizona Stating this....i dont buy it....

thats what i am asking Dev.....i dont see any thing here from the State of Arizona saying ...its not valid.....just a statement from ...who?...who said his DL would not be accepted...the ACLU?....the student?.....as far as i have always been led to believe.....one States DL ...as long as its not expired and has a photo with correct info on it.....is a legal ID in all 50 States....so until i see a statement from the State of Arizona Stating this....i dont buy it....

I will go out on a limb here and speculate: I think the police asked for proof of citizenship, as if asking for immigration papers. The ACLU would not have put it in a filing if it was a baseless accusation. You can agree or disagree with how a court will rule, but rarely has the ACLU been accused of lying to make a case.

careful, you're being stalked by a driveby nitwit with venom and hatred. I see your posts being bombarded with inane replies and other bullshit.

:eek:

please ST don't be dumb, how can they sue over a law that has yet to be enacted?

What do yo mean how? They just did!

Forum List

Back