ACLU files suit on Arizona law

Harry, here is a quote from the news article: "a Latino citizen studying at Arizona State University whose New Mexico driver's license would not be accepted as proof of citizenship under the law; "

It is part of the law suit. It appears the latino student had a driver's license issued by the state of New Mexico and the state of Arizona refused to accept it as a valid form of citizenship. Weird.

thats what i am asking Dev.....i dont see any thing here from the State of Arizona saying ...its not valid.....just a statement from ...who?...who said his DL would not be accepted...the ACLU?....the student?.....as far as i have always been led to believe.....one States DL ...as long as its not expired and has a photo with correct info on it.....is a legal ID in all 50 States....so until i see a statement from the State of Arizona Stating this....i dont buy it....

Since an official driver's license from any of the 50 states constitutes valid ID for everything else in the world that requires ID, I can't imagine why this guy would think his New Mexico license wouldn't suffice. I sure don't know of any part of SB 1070 that indicates that, so how does he know?

Since an official driver's license from any of the 50 states constitutes valid ID for everything else in the world that requires ID

Wrong. a) You can't get back into the country with one b) A DL does not establish citizenship for employment purposes

I can't imagine why this guy would think his New Mexico license wouldn't suffice.

You do not have to prove that you are a legal resident in all states to get a DL.

Since an official driver's license from any of the 50 states constitutes valid ID for everything else in the world that requires ID

Wrong. a) You can't get back into the country with one b) A DL does not establish citizenship for employment purposes

I can't imagine why this guy would think his New Mexico license wouldn't suffice.

You do not have to prove that you are a legal resident in all states to get a DL.

No, you prove citizenship for employment purpose with BOTH a driver's license AND a Social Security card. Nevertheless, it DOES serve to identify you as the person you say you are, which is what I said.

For the record, New Mexico DOES require proof of residency for a driver's license. So we're back to the same question. The state of Arizona accepts driver's licenses from all 50 states as PROOF OF IDENTITY, and while there may be some states for which that doesn't qualify as proof of legal residency, New Mexico isn't one of them. Nor does SB 1070 say anything, to my knowledge, about not accepting driver's licenses from other states. So why does this guy think his New Mexico driver's license wouldn't work?

No, you prove citizenship for employment purpose with BOTH a driver's license AND a Social Security card.

The DL establishes identity - the SS card establishes authorization to work. Says so on the I-9 form itself. A Passport may be substituted as it establishes both.

For the record, New Mexico DOES require proof of residency for a driver's license. So we're back to the same question. The state of Arizona accepts driver's licenses from all 50 states as PROOF OF IDENTITY, and while there may be some states for which that doesn't qualify as proof of legal residency, New Mexico isn't one of them. Nor does SB 1070 say anything, to my knowledge, about not accepting driver's licenses from other states. So why does this guy think his New Mexico driver's license wouldn't work?

I have no idea, ask him.

Nice to see the "conservatives" supporting National ID.

We do not need a national ID. If you live in a state that does not verify citizenship prior to issuing a state ID or Drivers license, you'd better be prepared to carry your passport when traveling through Arizona. What's so hard about that? If you live there legally, you already have ID that proves your citizenship. God forbid we make it inconvenient for illegal aliens......:rolleyes:
LOL! A passport is a national id...damn, why not just admit that you want big brother to protect your lame ass.

Nuance Dahling, nuance.

BTW- My "lame ass" doesn't need protection OF the government, I need protection FROM gov't.

New Arizona Illegal Alien Law Facts:

The law becomes effective 90 days after the legislative session it was passed in closes. That session closed April 29, 2010 at 11:07 PM.. The law becomes effective at 11:07 PM on July 28, 2010.

So the law is not the reason the old man was stopped twice.

The student with the New Mexico driver's license is correct if New Mexico does not require proof of legal presence in the US to get a driver's license. Below is how the Bill reads that AZ Governor Brewer signed into law so it is how the law will read.

"A person is presumed to not be an alien who is unlawfully present in the United States if the person provides to the law enforcement officer or agency any of the following:

1. A valid Arizona driver license.

2. A valid Arizona nonoperating identification license.

3. A valid tribal enrollment card or other form of tribal identification.

4. If the entity requires proof of legal presence in the United States before issuance, any valid United States federal, state or local government issued identification."

If you would to care to read the Bill as it was signed to go into law. CLICK HERE

End of Facts.

My own speculation now:
The guy with photocopy of a judge's order is screwed. I have worked in the Arizona court system. For a judge's court order to work with a cop it would have to be certified by the court and have a embossed raised seal or some other official court stamp that it obviously stamped on a copy and not actually part of the copy process.

Last edited:
The illegal immigration situation in this country just isn't problematic enough to convince me that I need to sacrifice my individual liberty to deal with it. Same goes for terrorism.

Amazing how much fear and hatred can get folks to support policies that run counter to their own best interests.

*sigh*

what is your issue with the NAMBLA case? are you a thought crime proponent? and they have upheld everyone's right to post freely including yours. the country would be a lot less "free" without the aclu & eff

somehow I think we could manage.. just think our own country with our own borders.. that's clearly something you don't wish for.

again, you wouldn't be able to post much online without their cases, and they aren't for open bordres from what I have read, they just don't want people who are legally here to be harassed, arrested or deported as many of them will be

At what point did a Police Officer asking to see your DL become 'harassment'?

The illegal immigration situation in this country just isn't problematic enough to convince me that I need to sacrifice my individual liberty to deal with it. Same goes for terrorism.

Amazing how much fear and hatred can get folks to support policies that run counter to their own best interests.

*sigh*
Yep.

I will go out on a limb here and speculate: I think the police asked for proof of citizenship, as if asking for immigration papers. The ACLU would not have put it in a filing if it was a baseless accusation. You can agree or disagree with how a court will rule, but rarely has the ACLU been accused of lying to make a case.

Dev the law does not take effect untill Aug.....there has to be more info on these cases as to the why....until then none of us know much about what is going on here.....

Arizona's immigration law: ACLU, civil rights groups file lawsuit - latimes.com

The individual plaintiffs include a 70-year-old U.S. citizen of Spanish and Chinese descent, who says he's been stopped twice by Arizona police asking for "papers"; a Latino citizen studying at Arizona State University, whose New Mexico driver's license would not be accepted as proof of citizenship under the law; and a Jamaican immigrant, who fears police will not believe the photocopy of a judge's order that he be allowed to stay in the country, the only paperwork he has that gives him legal status here.

Have they filed suit against the EXACT same Federal Law?

I will go out on a limb here and speculate: I think the police asked for proof of citizenship, as if asking for immigration papers. The ACLU would not have put it in a filing if it was a baseless accusation. You can agree or disagree with how a court will rule, but rarely has the ACLU been accused of lying to make a case.

Dev the law does not take effect untill Aug.....there has to be more info on these cases as to the why....until then none of us know much about what is going on here.....

Totally agree.

The story doesn't give you a lot of info to go on.

How the hell can the ACLU sue, a class action suite no less, for arrests made before the law is enacted??

Must be a slow week in liberal land.

Jeeze. Talk about jumping the gun.

The AMERICAN Civil Liberties Union files a lawsuit AGAINST enforcing an AMERICAN state law in favor of people who are in this country ILLEGALLY, got it, thanks ...... :lol:

While I have nothing against a law that kicks illegals out...you may have failed to notice that this lawsuit was filed on behalf of CITIZENS and LEGAL immigrants who are in this country LEGALLY.

Arizona's immigration law: ACLU, civil rights groups file lawsuit - latimes.com

The individual plaintiffs include a 70-year-old U.S. citizen of Spanish and Chinese descent, who says he's been stopped twice by Arizona police asking for "papers"; a Latino citizen studying at Arizona State University, whose New Mexico driver's license would not be accepted as proof of citizenship under the law; and a Jamaican immigrant, who fears police will not believe the photocopy of a judge's order that he be allowed to stay in the country, the only paperwork he has that gives him legal status here.

:lol::lol::lol: I'm pretty dumb but I don't see how they can sue over a law that hasn't been enacted yet.. :confused:
Happens all the time. Welcome to reality.

"a Latino citizen studying at Arizona State University, whose New Mexico driver's license would not be accepted as proof of citizenship under the law;"

you have some severe comprehension problems huh?

Why do you think a New Mexico driver's license would not be accepted, genius ?

Hint: The leftist idiots you support caused the problem ......

What's the first thing an officer asks for when you're stopped for a traffic violation ?

What's the first thing an officer asks your passengers when you are stopped for a traffic violation?

Just like i would be stopped in arizona this man has been stopped twice.

Stop pretending only illegal aliens will be effected by the law.

What's the first thing an officer asks for when you're stopped for a traffic violation ? ...

Because you are driving. What's the first thing an officer asks a passenger?

Hate to break it to you but at a traffic stop an officer can and will ask passengers for ID. It is legal and it is accepted practice in all 50 States.

Forum List

Back