ACLU files suit on Arizona law

As New Mexico hands out driver's licenses without proof that a person is here in the country legally, they are not worth the laminate which encases them. Given the lack of controls, it's perfectly reasonable that states which do require proof of legal residency do not accept ID from states which do not.

Simply NOT TRUE....WHY would you say such?

Getting Your New Mexico Driver's License (Non-Commercial)

Age 18-24:

First time license applicants between the ages of 18-24 must take a class on DWI awareness, "None for the Road". Call 1-800-621-5755 to enroll or obtain more information. In Albuquerque, dial 277-0051 or call toll free, 1-877-NO-DRINK (1-877-663-7465).

Bring these items to the MVD:

Completion certificate from the DWI awareness
class

Proof of age and identification

Birth Certificate

Passport

Military ID Card

Indian Census Card

or certified copies of above

and

Social Security Card

What's the first thing an officer asks for when you're stopped for a traffic violation ? ...

:popcorn:

"a Latino citizen studying at Arizona State University, whose New Mexico driver's license would not be accepted as proof of citizenship under the law"

:eusa_shhh:

Keep repeating that, then ask why the officer didn't accept it. There is always two sides to every story. And this who;le case sounds like a story.

"and a Jamaican immigrant, who fears police will not believe the photocopy of a judge's order that he be allowed to stay in the country, the only paperwork he has that gives him legal status here."

Now I'm not an immigration expert but I believe you need more than a photocopy of some judicial order to be in the USA. Like a passport with a Visa, or maybe a greencard, how about a student Visa.............

Nice to see the "conservatives" supporting National ID.

We do not need a national ID. If you live in a state that does not verify citizenship prior to issuing a state ID or Drivers license, you'd better be prepared to carry your passport when traveling through Arizona. What's so hard about that? If you live there legally, you already have ID that proves your citizenship. God forbid we make it inconvenient for illegal aliens......:rolleyes:
LOL! A passport is a national id...damn, why not just admit that you want big brother to protect your lame ass.

there are people asking for a national ID law---to carry the Passport card. It's cheap and maybe a solution for a few ills.

Nice to see the "conservatives" supporting National ID.

We do not need a national ID. If you live in a state that does not verify citizenship prior to issuing a state ID or Drivers license, you'd better be prepared to carry your passport when traveling through Arizona. What's so hard about that? If you live there legally, you already have ID that proves your citizenship. God forbid we make it inconvenient for illegal aliens......:rolleyes:
LOL! A passport is a national id...damn, why not just admit that you want big brother to protect your lame ass.

it also costs a lot of money for passports...for matt and me it was $280 bucks!

What's the first thing an officer asks for when you're stopped for a traffic violation ?

So giving license's to illegals wasn't the sooper idea you and the leftist idiots you support thought it was ? omgnoway ......

Giving licenses to illegals as a way of making the roads safer, was not a bad idea.WTF ? How the fuck does it make roads safer and why the fuck would any idiot support giving a license to someone who doesn't belong in the country ? A traffic stop is not a substitute for immigration enforcement. Stopping people for a traffic violation and then demanding proof of citizenship strays way too close to the line of fascism/totalitarianism.But forcing them to buy healthcare isn't, right moonbat ? There are other ways of dealing with illegal immigrants. Right, like giving them amnesty ! :cuckoo:

A traffic stop is a civil offense. A civil offense should never be an opportunity for police powers of the state to check citizenship. Sure, because they have every right to be here....

We can demand we have a national ID. Then get rid of drivers licenses. But then we'd be using the Federal government to step on the rights of the states.Arizona is using their state right, you and the democrats want to step on them.

thank you, drive thru ...

Ravi:

That's hardly the case.

We are supporting states not debasing their Driver's Licenses by handing them out willy nilly with no proof of legal residency required.

I thought they proved legal residency. If they live in an apt and pay rent, there is proof of legal residency for the purposes of a state driver's license. A state driver's license is NOT a federal issue.

If you want a national ID and want to hand over state rights do so. Start an amendment process giving the federal government say over state laws.

New Mexico DOES NOT REQUIRE PROOF OF LEGAL RESIDENCY for someone to get a driver's license. It renders the document worthless to prove legal residency.

Hawaii, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Oregon, Utah and Washington have the same problem - so their state driver's licenses have the same issue.

Wanting states to verify legal residency prior to issuing and ID in no way resembles or denotes support for a National ID Card.

Correct and Maryland gives approx. 400 licences a week to illegals ..........

Ravi:

That's hardly the case.

We are supporting states not debasing their Driver's Licenses by handing them out willy nilly with no proof of legal residency required.

When I moved to CT, in order to get a drivers' license I had to produce a notarized birth certificate a bank statement and 2 months of utility bills with my CT address on them.

Why shouldn't everyone have to do the same?

In Connecticut, everyone does or doesn't have to show a certified birth certificate?

I only know what I had to do. In a world that made sense it should be reasonable to assume that the same standards hold true for everyone.

So giving license's to illegals wasn't the sooper idea you and the leftist idiots you support thought it was ? omgnoway ......

Giving licenses to illegals as a way of making the roads safer, was not a bad idea.WTF ? How the fuck does it make roads safer and why the fuck would any idiot support giving a license to someone who doesn't belong in the country ? A traffic stop is not a substitute for immigration enforcement. Stopping people for a traffic violation and then demanding proof of citizenship strays way too close to the line of fascism/totalitarianism.But forcing them to buy healthcare isn't, right moonbat ? There are other ways of dealing with illegal immigrants. Right, like giving them amnesty ! :cuckoo:

A traffic stop is a civil offense. A civil offense should never be an opportunity for police powers of the state to check citizenship. Sure, because they have every right to be here....

We can demand we have a national ID. Then get rid of drivers licenses. But then we'd be using the Federal government to step on the rights of the states.Arizona is using their state right, you and the democrats want to step on them.

naw, I won't even pass through. Too many illegals in Arizona for my tastes. :eusa_whistle:

As New Mexico hands out driver's licenses without proof that a person is here in the country legally, they are not worth the laminate which encases them. Given the lack of controls, it's perfectly reasonable that states which do require proof of legal residency do not accept ID from states which do not.

Simply NOT TRUE....WHY would you say such?

Getting Your New Mexico Driver's License (Non-Commercial)

Age 18-24:

First time license applicants between the ages of 18-24 must take a class on DWI awareness, "None for the Road". Call 1-800-621-5755 to enroll or obtain more information. In Albuquerque, dial 277-0051 or call toll free, 1-877-NO-DRINK (1-877-663-7465).

Bring these items to the MVD:

Completion certificate from the DWI awareness
class

Proof of age and identification

Birth Certificate

Passport

Military ID Card

Indian Census Card

or certified copies of above

and

Social Security Card

I say it because it's true. From the New Mexico website:

How to get a New Mexico Driver License

All persons driving a motor vehicle on New Mexico highways and roadways are required to be licensed.

If you are a new driver, under age 18 or aged 18-24, go to New Drivers.

The New Mexico MVD issues a secure driver license to help protect New Mexicans from identity theft. Persons applying for a first-time driver license, a license renewal or a license replacement are issued a temporary license while their regular license is being processed and mailed.

If you have an out-of-state license or a prior New Mexico ID card, it will be hole-punched and may be used in conjunction with the temporary license, for up to 45 days from the date of issue. The temporary license and the hole-punched license or ID card are only valid for identification purposes when presented together.

You must go into a MVD Field Office to get your New Mexico driver license. Staff at any Field Office can issue your temporary driver license.

First-Time New Mexico Driver License Requirements
Once you have established residency in New Mexico, you are required to surrender your license from any other state and apply for a New Mexico license.

To get a non-commercial driver license, you will need to bring the following documents to any MVD Field Office:
- One (1) proof of identification number, and
- One (1) proof of identity, and
- Two (2) proofs of New Mexico residency.

Someone can get a driver's license with a Non-U.S. Passport or Matrícula Consular Card (which is issued to both legal and illegal aliens by the Mexican Government through consular offices).

MVD New Mexico - Licensing - MVD Proof of Identification Number - No SSN

a Mexican Birth Certificate

MVD New Mexico - Licensing - MVD Proof of Identity

and two proof of residency (not LEGAL residency, btw). Acceptable documents include utility bills and proof that a child is enrolled in a school. They do not have to show that they have a green card or visa.

The following are accepted by MVD as proof of New Mexico Residency (document must not be more than three months old and have printed physical address):

- Real property rental agreement or purchase agreement
- Utility bills, we accept the following:
Water bill, Gas bill, Electric bill, Waste/Sewer bill, Land Line Telephone bill, Cable or Satellite bill, Internet Access bill, Home Security System bill

- Insurance bill, we accept the following:
Automobile insurance bill, Boat insurance bill, Home Owner’s/Rental insurance bill, Health insurance bill, Life Insurance bill

- Bank or Credit Union statement
- Employment pay stub that contains the applicant’s name and address
- A local property tax statement or mortgage document
- Proof of minor child enrolled in a new Mexico public, private, or tribal school, we accept the following: School enrollment form, Letter signed by school official on school letterhead...

MVD New Mexico - Licensing - Proof of New Mexico Residency

Net net, the proof of residency requirement is just proof of physical residency, not legal residency. It is very easy to game the system in NM.

When I moved to CT, in order to get a drivers' license I had to produce a notarized birth certificate a bank statement and 2 months of utility bills with my CT address on them.

In Connecticut, everyone does or doesn't have to show a certified birth certificate?

I only know what I had to do. In a world that made sense it should be reasonable to assume that the same standards hold true for everyone.

I personally understood the argument to give driver's licenses to illegals, because of cases where people I know were maimed or hurt in car accidents. One case I heard, I was told the illegal was deported. The woman I knew was left with paying all her own bills.
there are other cases that can be argued for giving illegals licenses in some states where they are already on the roads in great numbers.

I would support a national ID passport program if it were made legal. But I don't think a state police officer has the right to demand citizenship from me for a driving offense.

If a passport was accepted as a driver's license...but then we get into state vs federal rights under the US Constitution.

:eusa_whistle:

naw, I won't even pass through. Too many illegals in Arizona for my tastes. :eusa_whistle:

pffft ...

P.S. Barney Fwank is a bitch .......

Yep...state's rights go under the bus. Sad.

Dear idiots, all three people in the suit are either citizens or are here legally.

Cant you fucking read?

the law aint even in effect yet dipshit.....so how can one guy say he was pulled over because of the law?.....and 2 others are speculating this will happen to them apparently without having enough intellect to see if their id is good enough.....these 3 are as about as bright as you are Truth....

Dear idiots, all three people in the suit are either citizens or are here legally.

Cant you fucking read?

the law aint even in effect yet dipshit.....so how can one guy say he was pulled over because of the law?.....and 2 others are speculating this will happen to them apparently without having enough intellect to see if their id is good enough.....these 3 are as about as bright as you are Truth....

Remember.. TM is stamped with "stupid"

i love people bashing the aclu as if they would be able to post freely on the internet without the aclu & eff fighting for them

hey Blu....question.....where was the ACLU when the 2nd Amendment was being dragged through the courts the last few years?

i love people bashing the aclu as if they would be able to post freely on the internet without the aclu & eff fighting for them

hey Blu....question.....where was the ACLU when the 2nd Amendment was being dragged through the courts the last few years?
The ACLU doesn't get involved in second amendment cases because they feel the NRA does a decent enough job.

You may as well ask why the NRA doesn't get involved in free speech or freedom of religion cases.

Forum List

Back