A Summa of the Summa

Picaro

Gold Member
Oct 31, 2010
Texas
A great intro book for both young people who might be intimidated by plunging right into Thomas Aquinas great work of logic, reason, and metaphysics without any background, and those who have read parts of it as well, believers and agnostics alike will find it a useful abridgement. Very useful footnotes help a lot for the layman explain word usages, historical references, sources, etc., etc.

https://www.amazon.com/Summa-Thomas-Aquinas/dp/089870300X&tag=ff0d01-20

As always the reviews are good reading, too. This one has a couple of caveats worth noting:

A Fine Abridgment That Should Be Used With Care
ByA customeron March 7, 2002
Format: Paperback
Summa of the Summa (hereafter SS) is a simply wonderful abridgment of Aquinas' Summa Theologica (hereafter ST). Professor Kreeft has done a superlative job of assembling those parts of ST that will be of most interest to readers new to Aquinas' thought. The text is drawn from the Dominican Benzinger Brothers translation of ST, still the most faithful to Aquinas original language and still the most widely available complete edition of ST in English. Kreeft includes a fine glossary of technical terms in ST likely to be unfamiliar to most readers, and a short, readable introductory essay that gives an interesting discussion of the structure of ST. Rather than include a lengthy introductory commentary on the classic text as do many editors, Kreeft includes his comments in footnotes, which appear frequently and are quite extensive. To give one example, to accompany Aquinas' famous "five ways" to prove the existence of God on pp. 57-70, Kreeft provides approximately eight pages worth of footnotes. The footnotes that discuss Aquinas only are nearly always illuminating, and will prove invaluable to readers as they study the primary text. I believe readers of SS will be able to progress more smoothly to the complete ST if they so choose than they could with any other abridgment of ST or other anthology of Aquinas' writings now in print. At the same time, SS is a fine, self-contained introduction to Aquinas' thought.
The only disappointing aspect of SS is its discussion of philosophical positions that are at variance with Aquinas. Like many philosophers working in Roman Catholic institutions, Kreeft has a tendency to present false straw-man interpretations of philosophers whose conclusions he disagrees with, and then to "refute" these philosophers by kicking down the straw men. (For the record, I am Roman Catholic.) For instance, on a footnote on p. 522, Kreeft erroneously attributes to Hobbes the view that people are naturally vicious and to Hume the view that knowledge is nothing other than the passive reception and ordering of sense impressions. Kreeft strongly hints to the reader here that Aquinas' own positions are more cogent than those of Hume and Hobbes, but this is misleading since the footnote presents a "straw-man Hobbes" and a "straw man Hume". Kreeft's tendency to misinterpret and then unfairly dismiss certain important philosophical doctrines even leads him to occasionally misrepresent Aquinas. For instance, in a footnote on pp. 430-431 Kreeft claims that Aquinas' example on these pages refutes utilitarianism. In fact, the classical doctrine of utilitarianism as John Stuart Mill and Henry Sidgwick formulated it is designed to show that the very example Aquinas gives is a CONSEQUENCE of utilitarianism.
In summation, readers can profit immensely from a careful study of the classic text and supplementary materials in SS, but they should take care not to trust anything said here about philosophers who disagree with Aquinas at face value.

... and the 'Comments' disputing parts of this review are also informative as well.

Last edited:
A great intro book for both young people who might be intimidated by plunging right into Thomas Aquinas great work of logic, reason, and metaphysics without any background, and those who have read parts of it as well, believers and agnostics alike will find it a useful abridgement. Very useful footnotes help a lot for the layman explain word usages, historical references, sources, etc., etc.

As always the reviews are good reading, too. This one has a couple of caveats worth noting:

Summa of the Summa (hereafter SS) is a simply wonderful abridgment of Aquinas' Summa Theologica (hereafter ST). Professor Kreeft has done a superlative job of assembling those parts of ST that will be of most interest to readers new to Aquinas' thought. The text is drawn from the Dominican Benzinger Brothers translation of ST, still the most faithful to Aquinas original language and still the most widely available complete edition of ST in English. Kreeft includes a fine glossary of technical terms in ST likely to be unfamiliar to most readers, and a short, readable introductory essay that gives an interesting discussion of the structure of ST. Rather than include a lengthy introductory commentary on the classic text as do many editors, Kreeft includes his comments in footnotes, which appear frequently and are quite extensive. To give one example, to accompany Aquinas' famous "five ways" to prove the existence of God on pp. 57-70, Kreeft provides approximately eight pages worth of footnotes. The footnotes that discuss Aquinas only are nearly always illuminating, and will prove invaluable to readers as they study the primary text. I believe readers of SS will be able to progress more smoothly to the complete ST if they so choose than they could with any other abridgment of ST or other anthology of Aquinas' writings now in print. At the same time, SS is a fine, self-contained introduction to Aquinas' thought.
The only disappointing aspect of SS is its discussion of philosophical positions that are at variance with Aquinas. Like many philosophers working in Roman Catholic institutions, Kreeft has a tendency to present false straw-man interpretations of philosophers whose conclusions he disagrees with, and then to "refute" these philosophers by kicking down the straw men. (For the record, I am Roman Catholic.) For instance, on a footnote on p. 522, Kreeft erroneously attributes to Hobbes the view that people are naturally vicious and to Hume the view that knowledge is nothing other than the passive reception and ordering of sense impressions. Kreeft strongly hints to the reader here that Aquinas' own positions are more cogent than those of Hume and Hobbes, but this is misleading since the footnote presents a "straw-man Hobbes" and a "straw man Hume". Kreeft's tendency to misinterpret and then unfairly dismiss certain important philosophical doctrines even leads him to occasionally misrepresent Aquinas. For instance, in a footnote on pp. 430-431 Kreeft claims that Aquinas' example on these pages refutes utilitarianism. In fact, the classical doctrine of utilitarianism as John Stuart Mill and Henry Sidgwick formulated it is designed to show that the very example Aquinas gives is a CONSEQUENCE of utilitarianism.
In summation, readers can profit immensely from a careful study of the classic text and supplementary materials in SS, but they should take care not to trust anything said here about philosophers who disagree with Aquinas at face value.

... and the 'Comments' disputing parts of this review are also informative as well.

I happen to have this book, along with the whole text of the original work. Aquinas is always worth considering, but I think you are wasting your time on this crowd.

I happen to have this book, along with the whole text of the original work. Aquinas is always worth considering, but I think you are wasting your time on this crowd.

I didn't expect many to be interested, just a few; I started my own children out with it when I thought they were ready to start reading logic, reason, and philosophy and writing little essays on it, usually by 4th grade, the oldest started a little later, 5th, but helped tutor the younger two as they came up so they got started earlier than he did. It helped immensely in easing their later education. I think Aquinas' Summa is the best teaching text ever written, covering not only the ancient philosophers but critical thinking and approaches to science and theologies, and theologians themselves.

Last edited:

I didn't expect many to be interested, just a few; I started my own children out with it when I thought they were ready to start reading logic, reason, and philosophy and writing little essays on it, usually by 4th grade, the oldest started a little later, 5th, but helped tutor the younger two as they came up so they got started earlier than he did. It helped immensely in easing their later education. I think Aquinas' Summa is the best teaching text ever written, covering not only the ancient philosophers but critical thinking and approaches to science and theologies, and theologians themselves.

It's funny how the people who claim to be interested in "logic and reason" won't give Aquinas the time of day, even as they claim that Christianity is irrational. On the contrary, Christianity is probably the most well thought out religion there is. Some of the best minds in the world have been thinking about it for over 2000 years. You're going to have some really smart kids there, unfortunately, I am afraid irrationality and emotion are more highly valued than actual reason.

I also have Kreeft's treatise on the philosophy of J.R.R. Tolkein, pretty dense stuff, even for me, I like to think I am acclimated to this kind of thing.

In the tradition of the Classics, Aquinas distinguished animal passions (bodily resonances) from reason. Reason may lead us to pass up instant gratification in the pursuit of higher goals

Forum List

Back