50 Open Source Replacements for Windows XP

The VAST majority of people using Linux use Ubuntu, Mint and Fedora none of which have hardware issues except with a VERY few manufacturers when they introduce new hardware. Generally the big three write code for those very quickly so it's pretty much a non-issue.
And Iceweasle, according to Bleipriester, he's tried Linux and had issue with it, like you had issues with Windows..... Stop reading more into my statement then is there.
Hell if you two wanna battle back and forth all day long it's no skin off of my nose but if either on of you don't want to look like rabid adherents ya might consider opening up your minds and get past your personal experiences.
Years ago i had a piece of shit Toyota 4 Runner, one bad experience didn't turn me against Toyota, we own one now that's 10 years old and still going strong with only a cople of parts needing replacing.
I don´t have a problem with him but his bear-ruled Linux Caliphate might have a problem with a Windows user.
I don´t have anything against the Linux distrubutions you mentioned or others or discussions about them, I just don´t want to be confronted with its unlimited greadness 100 times a day, which allows its fanatic supporters to put on airs and talk like a cow farts.

The VAST majority of people using Linux use Ubuntu, Mint and Fedora none of which have hardware issues except with a VERY few manufacturers when they introduce new hardware. Generally the big three write code for those very quickly so it's pretty much a non-issue.
And Iceweasle, according to Bleipriester, he's tried Linux and had issue with it, like you had issues with Windows..... Stop reading more into my statement then is there.
Hell if you two wanna battle back and forth all day long it's no skin off of my nose but if either on of you don't want to look like rabid adherents ya might consider opening up your minds and get past your personal experiences.
Years ago i had a piece of shit Toyota 4 Runner, one bad experience didn't turn me against Toyota, we own one now that's 10 years old and still going strong with only a cople of parts needing replacing.
I don´t have a problem with him but his bear-ruled Linux Caliphate might have a problem with a Windows user.
I don´t have anything against the Linux distrubutions you mentioned or others or discussions about them, I just don´t want to be confronted with its unlimited greadness 100 times a day, which allows its fanatic supporters to put on airs and talk like a cow farts.
Fair enough.
Just in reading both of your occasional back and forths the appearance is as I stated. :dunno:

Fair enough.
Just in reading both of your occasional back and forths the appearance is as I stated. :dunno:
I am not sure what you mean. Calling an OS-version "crapware" that is known not to offer essential features, either due to a lack of intern or extern support, is an adequate behavior in this environmnent.
I have a paid version of Parted Magic, a live Linux distribution, whose basic functionality (out of the box) goes far beyond that of all the little distros.

Yeah but most people haven't a clue when we talk about hardware/software support, distros, codex, etc so when you use the term "crapware" they generally get the wrong impression. It also reflect a bias on your part because many of the tiny Linux distros are designed with a specific job in mind and are not geared towards the typical user so really has no true basis for comparison with Windows or the very user friendly versions of Linux.
In my personal experience I have never had any hardware issues with Ubuntu, Mint or Fedora, (the real Windows competitors), matter of fact in all the above cases recognition and installation of peripheral drivers, like a new printer, took only a couple of seconds and that was on older machines as well. As for the standard hardware everything installed normally during the OS install. Other than Fedora the restricted codex install automatically, with Fedora they offer them in their software library.

Yeah but most people haven't a clue when we talk about hardware/software support, distros, codex, etc so when you use the term "crapware" they generally get the wrong impression. It also reflect a bias on your part because many of the tiny Linux distros are designed with a specific job in mind and are not geared towards the typical user so really has no true basis for comparison with Windows or the very user friendly versions of Linux.
In my personal experience I have never had any hardware issues with Ubuntu, Mint or Fedora, (the real Windows competitors), matter of fact in all the above cases recognition and installation of peripheral drivers, like a new printer, took only a couple of seconds and that was on older machines as well. As for the standard hardware everything installed normally during the OS install. Other than Fedora the restricted codex install automatically, with Fedora they offer them in their software library.
That distributions that are made to do a special job include on or two freeware tools one can download easily by oneself but lack of essential functions as I explained. There is really crapware around people should be warned of. For example, there was a distro whose single maker promised that it can run Windows software natively. The distro was not capable of anything. There is another distro especially designed for gaming but there are hardly some games around. Many of these Linux versions are made by one or two guys. Nothing against them but I would not give my computer in their hands by installing their operating systems. What, if something went wrong due to bugs in the OS? Who is going to fix them? An operating system has to work, the user must be able to bank on it at any time.

That distributions that are made to do a special job include on or two freeware tools one can download easily by oneself but lack of essential functions as I explained. There is really crapware around people should be warned of. For example, there was a distro whose single maker promised that it can run Windows software natively. The distro was not capable of anything. There is another distro especially designed for gaming but there are hardly some games around. Many of these Linux versions are made by one or two guys. Nothing against them but I would not give my computer in their hands by installing their operating systems. What, if something went wrong due to bugs in the OS? Who is going to fix them? An operating system has to work, the user must be able to bank on it at any time.
I know what you mean by this but again, what's the percentage of total users among all users of every OS that uses those distros or would ever be aware that they exist? .00000001% at best? So how do these distros play into the larger comparison "game"? Almost non-existant, kinda like when people are trying to dis anything specific, they look for the worst they can find, no matter how trivial, and use that as a basis for comparison, hell this board (especially in politics) is a perfect example of that.
Warn people of the distros that are not user friendly or make claims they can't back up but like I do, I make the differentiation between those distros and the ones that are very user friendly. I don't leave them with the impression that because some are bad, all are bad, that's the point I was trying to make.
Iceweasle does the same when talking about Windows, too bad he decided to take offense and personally attack me over that. :dunno:

Last edited:
I know what you mean by this but again, what's the percentage of total users among all users of every OS that uses those distros or would ever be aware that they exist? .00000001% at best? So how do these distros play into the larger comparison "game"? Almost non-existant, kinda like when people are trying to dis anything specific, they look for the worst they can find, no matter how trivial, and use that as a basis for comparison, hell this board (especially in politics) is a perfect example of that.
Warn people of the distros that are not user friendly or make claims they can't back up but like I do, I make the differentiation between those distros and the ones that are very user friendly. I don't leave them with the impression that because some are bad, all are bad, that's the point I was trying to make.
Iceweasle does the same when talking about Windows, too bad he decided to take offense and personally attack me over that. :dunno:
Ok, but I never said that all the distributions are bad.

Ok, but I never said that all the distributions are bad.
Never said you did, but what is left unsaid can leave certain impressions which is one reason I point out that all the different operating systems (not including the obscure Linux distros) have their strong and weak points, that way readers don't get the impression I'm a biased Windows or Linux acolyte. I am trying to offer people advice and let them make up their own mind concerning any possible switch over to a user friendly major Linux distro.

Reading through this thread - damn - lot of touchy folks here.
Here is my 2 cents....which will inspire flame posts for sure.
You cannot fairly compare Windows to Linux concerning an average user.
Every Windows PC comes pre-installed, on hardware that is specifically designed to run on it.
If every Linux PC came pre-installed, such as those on ZaReason, then it would be a fair comparison.
I have installed Mint and Ubuntu for numerous folks...they love it. In all honesty, absolutely no one has ever called me wanting to go back to Windows. However, I have received calls from them when they need a new computer and want to know which one will work with Linux best.
When people use Linux where someone else installed everything for them, like every Windows PC, they like it. A lot.
The vast majority of people have never even heard of Linux, just like 10 years ago they never tried anything other than I.E....but in a few more years Internet Explorer will be below 50% marketshare - which is HUGE considering it comes pre-installed on 91% of all computers!
The thread is about replacements for Windows. IMO, because of compatibility and availability of vast software downloads built-in - LinuxMint is the best. It is so fast and easy to use. And best of all, no spyware and no antivirus behemoth to buy or constantly be annoyed by that doesn't really work anyway.
It is blazing fast, faaarrr easier than Windows 8 - and just works.

Every Windows PC comes pre-installed, on hardware that is specifically designed to run on it.
If every Linux PC came pre-installed, such as those on ZaReason, then it would be a fair comparison.
I have installed Mint and Ubuntu for numerous folks...they love it. In all honesty, absolutely no one has ever called me wanting to go back to Windows. However, I have received calls from them when they need a new computer and want to know which one will work with Linux best.
When people use Linux where someone else installed everything for them, like every Windows PC, they like it. A lot.
The vast majority of people have never even heard of Linux, just like 10 years ago they never tried anything other than I.E....but in a few more years Internet Explorer will be below 50% marketshare - which is HUGE considering it comes pre-installed on 91% of all computers!
The thread is about replacements for Windows. IMO, because of compatibility and availability of vast software downloads built-in - LinuxMint is the best. It is so fast and easy to use. And best of all, no spyware and no antivirus behemoth to buy or constantly be annoyed by that doesn't really work anyway.
For those folks it doesn´t really make a difference if they click the Iceweasel or the Firefox desktop shortcut.
For pre-installed Linux-PCs, there must be a market. Linux gets little support from the paid software developers due to the open-source nature of this environment.

For those folks it doesn´t really make a difference if they click the Iceweasel or the Firefox desktop shortcut.
For pre-installed Linux-PCs, there must be a market. Linux gets little support from the paid software developers due to the open-source nature of this environment.

When people try Linux - everyone of them ask the same question - "why isn't everyone using this?"
I always say for the same reason we are still using internal combustion engines in our cars. We should have long - looonnng ago built a better power train than a gasoline engine. But there are too many industries that depend on that motor - so nothing changes.
Same with the PC market.
If/when Windows is ever beat, I think it will be something like Chromebook. I bought my wife one, it is infinitely better than a surface for people like my wife who only use a computer to look up recipes, youtube, face book and browse the internet. They are sooooo much faster than Windows...and should be since all it is is a browser.

A major city in Syria? Is that an oxymoron?
Are you seriously making a "joke" out of the looming slaughter of thousands of people, Old School? This isn't funny stuff! This is horrendous stuff that Barack Obama is letting happen because he won't get off his skinny ass and wage war.

Oh? No other leaders are "letting" it happen?

The Kurds are there fighting against tanks and artillery with small arms. Barack Obama once again allowed ISIS to move those weapons across open desert to attack yet another city after declaring that ISIS would be attacked with US air power. It's obvious at this point that an Obama promise has about as much staying power as a weak fart in a strong wind!
The US-led anti-terror coalition is about to beat ISIS with three years of pinpricks. The Syrian army will have to do the whole job.

Hmmm we can supply Isis with an I phone for each member, within a month they will all be walking around like zombies..... then someone can walk up and hit them with a club while they are busy texting.

Or Maybe Obama should send in the A10 Warthog tank killing aircraft

When people try Linux - everyone of them ask the same question - "why isn't everyone using this?"
I always say for the same reason we are still using internal combustion engines in our cars. We should have long - looonnng ago built a better power train than a gasoline engine. But there are too many industries that depend on that motor - so nothing changes.
Same with the PC market.
If/when Windows is ever beat, I think it will be something like Chromebook. I bought my wife one, it is infinitely better than a surface for people like my wife who only use a computer to look up recipes, youtube, face book and browse the internet. They are sooooo much faster than Windows...and should be since all it is is a browser.
Windows is not a retarded system. Just like combustion engines, it is highly developed and still lacks of serious alternatives. Electric cars for example. Back then in 1900, electric cars were the big majority. Now, electric cars have neither the range nor the power of a normal car.
Linux, whereas, is a freeware based system whose users only use freeware. Once one figured out the differences between a freeware office and Microsoft Office, that one knows why people pay so much for it.
Few Linux programs are paid. Of course. Its just like to offer your paid program for 50 bucks at the pirate bay. Although it is not the same, the result is.
I don´t believe that the world domination of Windows will be broken. And it is good that we have a single OS with that one can do all the things available. Linux users are often also Linux prophets who ignore the limitations the OS is shipped with due to a lack of support of 3rd party developers. And there is not a single serious Linux user who has not a Windows version in his dual boot system for exactly that reason.

However, when I seriously tried Ubuntu, it was a mess with lots of malfunctions and errors. You can read it here, but would have to translate it. It became a funny discussion however:
Habe aus Neugier Ubuntu 10.10 installiert...

Are you seriously making a "joke" out of the looming slaughter of thousands of people, Old School? This isn't funny stuff! This is horrendous stuff that Barack Obama is letting happen because he won't get off his skinny ass and wage war.

The Kurds are there fighting against tanks and artillery with small arms. Barack Obama once again allowed ISIS to move those weapons across open desert to attack yet another city after declaring that ISIS would be attacked with US air power. It's obvious at this point that an Obama promise has about as much staying power as a weak fart in a strong wind!
The US-led anti-terror coalition is about to beat ISIS with three years of pinpricks. The Syrian army will have to do the whole job.

Hmmm we can supply Isis with an I phone for each member, within a month they will all be walking around like zombies..... then someone can walk up and hit them with a club while they are busy texting.

Same with the PC market.
Windows is not a retarded system. Just like combustion engines, it is highly developed and still lacks of serious alternatives. Electric cars for example. Back then in 1900, electric cars were the big majority. Now, electric cars have neither the range nor the power of a normal car.
Linux, whereas, is a freeware based system whose users only use freeware. Once one figured out the differences between a freeware office and Microsoft Office, that one knows why people pay so much for it.
Few Linux programs are paid. Of course. Its just like to offer your paid program for 50 bucks at the pirate bay. Although it is not the same, the result is.
I don´t believe that the world domination of Windows will be broken. And it is good that we have a single OS with that one can do all the things available. Linux users are often also Linux prophets who ignore the limitations the OS is shipped with due to a lack of support of 3rd party developers. And there is not a single serious Linux user who has not a Windows version in his dual boot system for exactly that reason.

However, when I seriously tried Ubuntu, it was a mess with lots of malfunctions and errors. You can read it here, but would have to translate it. It became a funny discussion however:

"Lack of a viable option" - ?? Seriously?
On the server market Windows is a distant - distant second. Depending on where you look of course, a good number for internet server marketshare would be about 70% *nix.
In the security sector Microsoft's share is in the neighborhood of 35-38%.
Linux servers continue to gain marketshare while Unix and Windows decline.
For scalability alone Linux is a better server option.
Now..the desktop. Linux is of course a viable option for MOST people. Exception is gamers and a small minority who need to access Microsoft specific clientware from home...which is also in decline as client-based business systems is quickly becoming extinct, replaced by browser based access which is holy cow superior to client based.
I am a daily Linux user. I am also a power user, I access work from home, send and receive multiple files - do quotes...complete orders etc. etc.
I don't have any "limitations" whatsoever. And I use a computer for a lot more additional task/services than an average user by far. (including multi-media and image manipulation)
Is Windows retarded? (Assuming of course you mean the literal use of the word and not the insult meaning) I would say yes it is in several ways. Example is IE. Not until there was serious competition did Microsoft address the serious/multi security holes in IE. Nor did they introduce tab features until after everyone else did.
As well as when you think of newer and more innovative ways people use devices - hmmm - Microsoft is rarely even in the playing field. And when they do arrive, they spend uber-millions in advertising for a product that is significantly less useful than other options. Microsoft is not exactly known for innovation. What they are known for is creating a behemoth OS that is ridiculously resource heavy, non scalable and making people pay dearly for their mistakes.

Same with the PC market.

On the server market Windows is a distant - distant second. Depending on where you look of course, a good number for internet server marketshare would be about 70% *nix.
Now..the desktop. Linux is of course a viable option for MOST people. Exception is gamers and a small minority who need to access Microsoft specific clientware from home...which is also in decline as client-based business systems is quickly becoming extinct, replaced by browser based access which is holy cow superior to client based.
I am a daily Linux user. I am also a power user, I access work from home, send and receive multiple files - do quotes...complete orders etc. etc.
I don't have any "limitations" whatsoever. And I use a computer for a lot more additional task/services than an average user by far. (including multi-media and image manipulation)
Is Windows retarded? (Assuming of course you mean the literal use of the word and not the insult meaning) I would say yes it is in several ways. Example is IE. Not until there was serious competition did Microsoft address the serious/multi security holes in IE. Nor did they introduce tab features until after everyone else did.
As well as when you think of newer and more innovative ways people use devices - hmmm - Microsoft is rarely even in the playing field. And when they do arrive, they spend uber-millions in advertising for a product that is significantly less useful than other options. Microsoft is not exactly known for innovation. What they are known for is creating a behemoth OS that is ridiculously resource heavy, non scalable and making people pay dearly for their mistakes.
This is not fair. Depending on what desktop you use, Linux can require even more than the 1Ghz/1GB that has been the minimum since Vista and also be the minimum for Windows 10. And if you want innovation, don´t by an operating system.

Same with the PC market.

This is not fair. Depending on what desktop you use, Linux can require even more than the 1Ghz/1GB that has been the minimum since Vista and also be the minimum for Windows 10. And if you want innovation, don´t by an operating system.

Pheh....1Ghz/1GB is ludicrous as a minimum. It is indeed possible to operate with that, but not without going insane (and bald) and only if you do the most minor tasks...albeit painfully slow.
I have a Dell n5050 that has dual 2.3 and 6GB RAM. I dual boot on this machine with Win7 and Mint.
On the Win7 side it is..okay. Bootup time is far too long, Win 7x64 is especially LONG considering I use HiJackThis to remove the extraneous crap that one gets upon purchase and thereafter.
Mint boots up at least 40% faster, having said that, ubuntu is also notoriously slow to boot - just one of the reasons I switched to Mint.
I would say Win 7, on this machine, is on average about 10% slower doing the same task on Mint.
At any rate - I would absolutely go insane operating a Windows machine with 1 measly GB of RAM which is a joke to call that "minimum"...sort of like saying the minimum horsepower for a 4 passenger car is 50HP.

Same with the PC market.

Pheh....1Ghz/1GB is ludicrous as a minimum. It is indeed possible to operate with that, but not without going insane (and bald) and only if you do the most minor tasks...albeit painfully slow.
I have a Dell n5050 that has dual 2.3 and 6GB RAM. I dual boot on this machine with Win7 and Mint.
On the Win7 side it is..okay. Bootup time is far too long, Win 7x64 is especially LONG considering I use HiJackThis to remove the extraneous crap that one gets upon purchase and thereafter.
Mint boots up at least 40% faster, having said that, ubuntu is also notoriously slow to boot - just one of the reasons I switched to Mint.
I would say Win 7, on this machine, is on average about 10% slower doing the same task on Mint.
At any rate - I would absolutely go insane operating a Windows machine with 1 measly GB of RAM which is a joke to call that "minimum"...sort of like saying the minimum horsepower for a 4 passenger car is 50HP.
Bloatware is a real problem for new computers. First thing to do is to download an iso directly from Microsoft and re-install the computer using that image. For Win7, it is easy. On Windows 8 PCs the Key is deposited in the Bios and can be gathered with Aida for example. You also need the Key to download the iso. Not my problem as my Windows 8 images don´t require a Key.
Booting Windows 8 is quite quick. I also disable User Account Control and all that stuff. System runs fast and stable. I don´t have any reason to switch to Linux because I would have to use two systems for all the tasks I would have been able to do with one before.

Bloatware is a real problem for new computers. First thing to do is to download an iso directly from Microsoft and re-install the computer using that image. For Win7, it is easy. On Windows 8 PCs the Key is deposited in the Bios and can be gathered with Aida for example. You also need the Key to download the iso. Not my problem as my Windows 8 images don´t require a Key.
Booting Windows 8 is quite quick. I also disable User Account Control and all that stuff. System runs fast and stable. I don´t have any reason to switch to Linux because I would have to use two systems for all the tasks I would have been able to do with one before.

Not to mention previously trusted "download sites" (such as CNET) today are nothing more than malware central. Download Adobe Reader from these guys - and your browser now acts like a crazy uncle...with a mind of it's own.
Not to sound like a broken record, but again why I like Linux. The built in software managers and source management is fantastic. Something Microsoft can't or will ever do. Not in their best interest.
Imagine your Windows computer with a "download center" where only trusted and verifiable applications with ZERO malware can appear. That would be awesome. Something Linux has done for years.

Not to mention previously trusted "download sites" (such as CNET) today are nothing more than malware central. Download Adobe Reader from these guys - and your browser now acts like a crazy uncle...with a mind of it's own.
Not to sound like a broken record, but again why I like Linux. The built in software managers and source management is fantastic. Something Microsoft can't or will ever do. Not in their best interest.
Imagine your Windows computer with a "download center" where only trusted and verifiable applications with ZERO malware can appear. That would be awesome. Something Linux has done for years.
Download portals tend to force their stupid installers upon the users. Luckily, I neither use adobe reader nor cnet.
Something like a download center is not the task of the provider of an OS but can only be realized in cooperation with various software developers. And since Windows 8, there is something like that: The App Store. I don´t use such apps. Such a download center is useful as long it is not the only source of applications.
SourceForge is a nice portal for example.

For business usage, internet browsing, multimedia, email and a host of other activities Ubuntu has been great and entirely problem-free. I've been using it for some 5 years in an international business environment without issue. Thankfully I don't play games because as mentioned it doesn't have a lot to offer in that department.

Forum List

Back