50 Open Source Replacements for Windows XP

I'm sorry to say that I have Windows 8. Yes ... I'm ashamed to admit it. Windows 7 wasn't actually that bad. I'll check out your link when I get home from work.

I hadn't heard of Robolinux before, I'll look into that one. I'm skeptical about loading XP apps but you never know. Zorin is good and if you want the Windows look, at least until you get used to things. It's got a much smaller user base than the top two but it's very polished and sets up a ram drive. It seems to run quicker.

Mageia is also very good but uses the KDE environment and it's too much for my 2 gigs. KDE is eyecandy and if you like to customize your look you can fiddle with just about everything.

I just looked at Robolinux's website. It looks like it runs Windows in a virtual machine, I think all distros can do that. Running programs is doable but slower and not quite like the real thing.

Last edited:
Downloaded and checked out Zorin OS 9 Core. I can see how those migrating from Windows to Linux would like this one, very, very user friendly. The Core version gives one the option of a Windows XP, Windows 7 or Gnome 2 look, the Ultimate version, aside from having more pre-installed programs and some other extras, allows for the Mac OX look plus two others. The Ultimate and Business versions can be downloaded with a small donation, the Core and Lite (for older machines) are free.

Yeah, with Win 8.1....... No thanks. Besides, I build my own and I put what I want on and in it........ Besides a $200 computer won't give me what I want in a system.

Yea I bet XP is the first thing you put on your custom built CPU :rolleyes:
Yeah, sure thing Sparky. I bet knowledge is the last thing you put into your brain..... You have one, right?
Whatsamatter? Afraid your M$ stock is gonna take a hit?

Yeah, sure thing Sparky. I bet knowledge is the last thing you put into your brain..... You have one, right?

You're right SORRY EVERYONE! Go find some opensource XP code for your shitty 2001 computer!

As if fucking any of you are actually going to do that.

Go to staples. It's time for a new freaking computer.

You're right SORRY EVERYONE! Go find some opensource XP code for your shitty 2001 computer!

As if fucking any of you are actually going to do that.

Go to staples. It's time for a new freaking computer.
Oh great, another brainwashed MCSE certified moron........

Oh great, another brainwashed MCSE certified moron........

You're right man I apologize. I'm such an ass. Sorry everyone! Go spend a ton of time installing inferior software onto old. as. FUCK. machines! When a $200 laptop, as shitty as it seems, would blow your mind with what it can do.

But no! Settle for crap by all means!
Well you got the ass part right........ :thup:

Well you got the ass part right........ :thup:

Yea man I'm sure everyone's gonna go install robolinux into their 10 year old computers now. Good job man you lived the dream bravo :clap2:
Were you born a clueless prick or is this a new thing for you?

Honestly I have no idea why I'm still in this thread. Carry on. I'm sure you're OS is wonderful.
You mean Windows 7? Yeah, unlike you I know the weak and strong points inherent in both Windows and Linux and use them both........ Unlike you I also understand human motivations and realize that a few will not want to move to Win 7, 8 or 9...... So instead of being a ignorant ass I provide the with helpful information, you know, let them make the choice......
But don't let that stop ya Sputz, keep on diggin' that hole. :thup:

I like that LibreOffice. But I don't get the whole fresh and still branch thing. To confusing on which version to download.

Buy a new computer guys. You can get one for $200.
Or just keep using XP as there's nothing wrong with it.

You're right man I apologize. I'm such an ass. Sorry everyone! Go spend a ton of time installing inferior software onto old. as. FUCK. machines! When a $200 laptop, as shitty as it seems, would blow your mind with what it can do.

But no! Settle for crap by all means!
The crap is between your ears. I have a half dozen peripherals attached to my desktop, how's a laptop going to run them? Software wise, I don't care for Windows and use XP only for one program. I have open source alternatives for everything else I did with Windows and Mac. Which is what the thread is actually about. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Downloaded and checked out Zorin OS 9 Core. I can see how those migrating from Windows to Linux would like this one, very, very user friendly. The Core version gives one the option of a Windows XP, Windows 7 or Gnome 2 look, the Ultimate version, aside from having more pre-installed programs and some other extras, allows for the Mac OX look plus two others. The Ultimate and Business versions can be downloaded with a small donation, the Core and Lite (for older machines) are free.
I pretty much have a Mac look now with Cairo Dock. I'm using Debian 7 but it will most likely work with Zorin as well. I had Zorin 5 and 6, they're up to 9 now?

I am using it in a gnome3 environment, which is better than what I had with Mac. I use the Cairo dock the same but also have and activities bar that reveals all virtual desktops and everything running on my dual monitor system. I use three desktops so I have six virtual monitors, I don't know if Windows has that yet, they didn't not long ago.

Forum List

Back