50 Open Source Replacements for Windows XP

Which one for me offers the easiest driver downloads? Four or five years ago I had....Umbuntu I think it was, I loved IT, just having to go find drivers for things was time consuming.

Besides that, I can live with 8.1 after I get rid of that silly squares screen especially on our touch screens. But man operating systems require a lot of processing power anymore to do the same thing XP did.

Which one for me offers the easiest driver downloads? Four or five years ago I had....Umbuntu I think it was, I loved IT, just having to go find drivers for things was time consuming.

Besides that, I can live with 8.1 after I get rid of that silly squares screen especially on our touch screens. But man operating systems require a lot of processing power anymore to do the same thing XP did.
I can have a bunch of crap running and I'm still under 1 gig. A fresh start before opening stuff is about 300 megs. I think you'd be better off with Linux Mint for ease of use but the only driver I've had to find is for my HP multi-use printer. It usually is installed automatically but I've run some distros before they added it. I have that, an Epson printer, Wacom tablet, Epson scanner, two monitors, two hard drives and some USB drives. All install automatically since Ubuntu 11 (I think it was) on my first install, except the HP on occasion. It's better to turn them all on and select 'download drivers during install'.

Downloaded and checked out Zorin OS 9 Core. I can see how those migrating from Windows to Linux would like this one, very, very user friendly. The Core version gives one the option of a Windows XP, Windows 7 or Gnome 2 look, the Ultimate version, aside from having more pre-installed programs and some other extras, allows for the Mac OX look plus two others. The Ultimate and Business versions can be downloaded with a small donation, the Core and Lite (for older machines) are free.
I pretty much have a Mac look now with Cairo Dock. I'm using Debian 7 but it will most likely work with Zorin as well. I had Zorin 5 and 6, they're up to 9 now?

I am using it in a gnome3 environment, which is better than what I had with Mac. I use the Cairo dock the same but also have and activities bar that reveals all virtual desktops and everything running on my dual monitor system. I use three desktops so I have six virtual monitors, I don't know if Windows has that yet, they didn't not long ago.
I'm not a Windows hater as far as operating systems in general go, now 8 and 8.1..... that's a different story and it's a personal preference as 8.1 is actually a very good OS. Both Windows and Linux distributions have their strong points and their bad points so I use both for different applications. Granted If I wasn't a gamer I'd never use Windows again I'd use Mint.
The thing about transitioning, very few will actually make the switch and out of those that do at least 2/3s will revert back simply because they picked a Linux distro that is confusing to them and overwhelms them. That's why Zorin OS is probably the best start off OS because it can give the user a (somewhat) familiar look.
And I wouldn't worry about TheOldScrewloose, he was probably drunk, I hear its a perpetual state with him, that kind of drinking eats up not only the liver but the brain also...... :eusa_whistle:

Zorin OS and Mint are both built off of Ubuntu and all the drivers come preloaded. If you used and like Ubuntu before I'd recommend Mint, user friendly with a ton of choices. Cinnamon or Mate versions, Cinnamon is the flash and sparkle (so to speak), Mate (pronounced Mah-tay) is for older machines.

Last edited:

Zorin OS and Mint are both built off of Ubuntu and all the drivers come preloaded. If you used and like Ubuntu before I'd recommend Mint, user friendly with a ton of choices. Cinnamon or Mate versions, Cinnamon is the flash and sparkle (so to speak), Mate (pronounced Mah-tay) is for older machines.
And they are all built off of Debian, essentially Debian unstable. Which is why sometimes things go awry when you start tinkering, been there, done that. Debian stable has been put through the paces and since my computer is mostly for work I ended up going there. Although I have two Mint's and XP as well.

The bad news is it is not for beginners and I was only able to install and set it up with the experiences with my Zorin, Mint, Ubuntu and a few other distros. Mangeia was very nice too but KDE eats up too much memory for my 2 gig system.

Downloaded and checked out Zorin OS 9 Core. I can see how those migrating from Windows to Linux would like this one, very, very user friendly. The Core version gives one the option of a Windows XP, Windows 7 or Gnome 2 look, the Ultimate version, aside from having more pre-installed programs and some other extras, allows for the Mac OX look plus two others. The Ultimate and Business versions can be downloaded with a small donation, the Core and Lite (for older machines) are free.
I pretty much have a Mac look now with Cairo Dock. I'm using Debian 7 but it will most likely work with Zorin as well. I had Zorin 5 and 6, they're up to 9 now?

I am using it in a gnome3 environment, which is better than what I had with Mac. I use the Cairo dock the same but also have and activities bar that reveals all virtual desktops and everything running on my dual monitor system. I use three desktops so I have six virtual monitors, I don't know if Windows has that yet, they didn't not long ago.
Windows 9 introduces multi-desktop support but, honestly, it is something nobody wants or needs. I don´t even spam icons on my single Windows 8.1 desktop but put them in the start menu which I have installed. You can get it here:
Windows 8 Tips and Support Page 7 US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

Still waiting for the Windows 9 Preview which will not be published in September but not before October.

Windows 9 introduces multi-desktop support but, honestly, it is something nobody wants or needs. I don´t even spam icons on my single Windows 8.1 desktop but put them in the start menu which I have installed. You can get it here:

Still waiting for the Windows 9 Preview which will not be published in September but not before October.
I have no use for Windoze past XP and I use multiple desktops every day. I leave programs running at size and switch over with an icon. I don't know how you figured no one wants it if they haven't used it.

I have no use for Windoze past XP and I use multiple desktops every day. I leave programs running at size and switch over with an icon. I don't know how you figured no one wants it if they haven't used it.
I minimize programs in that case and keep the overview. Multi-desktops are something linux distros boast of but they have no actual sense.

I minimize programs in that case and keep the overview. Multi-desktops are something linux distros boast of but they have no actual sense.
Are you retarded? Many Linux uses actually use it, it isn't a "boast". Who gives a fuck how YOU do things? I don't have to hunt around for minimized windows, I use various desktops for various functions and the programs are situated just the way I left them on two monitors. I haven't payed for any of the software or updates, you can go boast about what you spent, it won't hurt my feelings.

I wiped the hard drive of the new laptop (the one I bought for my wife and she decided she didn't like..... the keyboard, not the OS) and replaced 8.1 with Win 7. I have no need of Win 8 tips, etc, don't like it, won't use it. Honestly if I wasn't a gamer I'd never use Windows again, not that Windows is that bad of a system it's just I prefer getting an OS that is as good, if not better for free, an OS that is more responsive to it's users. I'd like to see Linux take off if for no other reason than forcing Microsoft to become more consumer responsive.

Not anywhere near as bad as when Ubuntu first came out with Unity, now that looked like something a toddler drew on an Echo sketch.........
I don't disagree. Hated it. It's why a lot of folks went to Mint. That said, you do have the option of using a different desktop environment.

Not anywhere near as bad as when Ubuntu first came out with Unity, now that looked like something a toddler drew on an Echo sketch.........
I don't disagree. Hated it. It's why a lot of folks went to Mint. That said, you do have the option of using a different desktop environment.

Like I've said many times before, I'm not anti-Windows, per se, it has it's strengths and weaknesses just as Linux has it's strengths and weaknesses. This anti-Linux, anti-Windows feud is pretty ridiculous and pointless except for those who have something to gain or lose on a personal (typically money related) basis. I know for years M$ trained techs were brainwashed against opensource, M$ pretty much claimed it was all bad, a lot of these people have learned differently since so M$ did more harm to their credibility then turn more people against opensource. But M$ is like any major corporation that has a near monopoly and will do anything to protect that market share, look at what P&G does to their competition........ M$ is really no different.

I don't know who P&G is but there's no feud from me. The thread is about Windows replacements. The MS fanbois need to start their own thread and quit telling people they should do it their way. MS lost credibility with me after my 1,000th hour getting their shit to work right and constant maintenance. I spend zero time on it now and prefer it that way.

I don't know who P&G is but there's no feud from me. The thread is about Windows replacements. The MS fanbois need to start their own thread and quit telling people they should do it their way. MS lost credibility with me after my 1,000th hour getting their shit to work right and constant maintenance. I spend zero time on it now and prefer it that way.
P & G, Proctor and Gambol, most brand names people by in grocery stores are owned by, affiliated with or "controlled" by P & G.

I wiped the hard drive of the new laptop (the one I bought for my wife and she decided she didn't like..... the keyboard, not the OS) and replaced 8.1 with Win 7. I have no need of Win 8 tips, etc, don't like it, won't use it. Honestly if I wasn't a gamer I'd never use Windows again, not that Windows is that bad of a system it's just I prefer getting an OS that is as good, if not better for free, an OS that is more responsive to it's users. I'd like to see Linux take off if for no other reason than forcing Microsoft to become more consumer responsive.
The tips I posted aren´t directed to you alone but for everyone who reads it. After applying my tips you´d have the feeling to work with an improved Windows 7 that boots faster, offers more features and is even more beautiful.

I don´t consider Linux to be as good as Windows. The jungle of distros gives one a big chance to load crapware that doesn´t support the hardware properly. One can only trust the big distributions halfway. As for the user responsiveness I can only quote Mark Shuttleworth (in context of user complaints) :
"This is not Democracy."

Forum List

Back