50 Open Source Replacements for Windows XP

I minimize programs in that case and keep the overview. Multi-desktops are something linux distros boast of but they have no actual sense.
Are you retarded? Many Linux uses actually use it, it isn't a "boast". Who gives a fuck how YOU do things? I don't have to hunt around for minimized windows, I use various desktops for various functions and the programs are situated just the way I left them on two monitors. I haven't payed for any of the software or updates, you can go boast about what you spent, it won't hurt my feelings.
I am going to outsource programs to my bedroom´s windows to keep them in readiness but who gives a fuck...

Downloaded and checked out Zorin OS 9 Core. I can see how those migrating from Windows to Linux would like this one, very, very user friendly. The Core version gives one the option of a Windows XP, Windows 7 or Gnome 2 look, the Ultimate version, aside from having more pre-installed programs and some other extras, allows for the Mac OX look plus two others. The Ultimate and Business versions can be downloaded with a small donation, the Core and Lite (for older machines) are free.
I pretty much have a Mac look now with Cairo Dock. I'm using Debian 7 but it will most likely work with Zorin as well. I had Zorin 5 and 6, they're up to 9 now?

I am using it in a gnome3 environment, which is better than what I had with Mac. I use the Cairo dock the same but also have and activities bar that reveals all virtual desktops and everything running on my dual monitor system. I use three desktops so I have six virtual monitors, I don't know if Windows has that yet, they didn't not long ago.
Windows 9 introduces multi-desktop support but, honestly, it is something nobody wants or needs. I don´t even spam icons on my single Windows 8.1 desktop but put them in the start menu which I have installed. You can get it here:
Windows 8 Tips and Support Page 7 US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

Still waiting for the Windows 9 Preview which will not be published in September but not before October.
I wiped the hard drive of the new laptop (the one I bought for my wife and she decided she didn't like..... the keyboard, not the OS) and replaced 8.1 with Win 7. I have no need of Win 8 tips, etc, don't like it, won't use it. Honestly if I wasn't a gamer I'd never use Windows again, not that Windows is that bad of a system it's just I prefer getting an OS that is as good, if not better for free, an OS that is more responsive to it's users. I'd like to see Linux take off if for no other reason than forcing Microsoft to become more consumer responsive.
The tips I posted aren´t directed to you alone but for everyone who reads it. After applying my tips you´d have the feeling to work with an improved Windows 7 that boots faster, offers more features and is even more beautiful.

I don´t consider Linux to be as good as Windows. The jungle of distros gives one a big chance to load crapware that doesn´t support the hardware properly. One can only trust the big distributions halfway. As for the user responsiveness I can only quote Mark Shuttleworth (in context of user complaints) :
"This is not Democracy."
Once again, to each their own, you have you opinion, others have theirs (concerning Linux), such is life. I don't dis Windows 8, I just don't like it, it's a personal preference, hell I user beta tested it and told M$ they needed a separate classic interface to offer, I wasn't the only one telling them that, one of my reports to them was simple, "can you say New Coke?". Looks like they're finally listening...... sorta........

Downloaded and checked out Zorin OS 9 Core. I can see how those migrating from Windows to Linux would like this one, very, very user friendly. The Core version gives one the option of a Windows XP, Windows 7 or Gnome 2 look, the Ultimate version, aside from having more pre-installed programs and some other extras, allows for the Mac OX look plus two others. The Ultimate and Business versions can be downloaded with a small donation, the Core and Lite (for older machines) are free.
I pretty much have a Mac look now with Cairo Dock. I'm using Debian 7 but it will most likely work with Zorin as well. I had Zorin 5 and 6, they're up to 9 now?

I am using it in a gnome3 environment, which is better than what I had with Mac. I use the Cairo dock the same but also have and activities bar that reveals all virtual desktops and everything running on my dual monitor system. I use three desktops so I have six virtual monitors, I don't know if Windows has that yet, they didn't not long ago.
Windows 9 introduces multi-desktop support but, honestly, it is something nobody wants or needs. I don´t even spam icons on my single Windows 8.1 desktop but put them in the start menu which I have installed. You can get it here:

Still waiting for the Windows 9 Preview which will not be published in September but not before October.
I wiped the hard drive of the new laptop (the one I bought for my wife and she decided she didn't like..... the keyboard, not the OS) and replaced 8.1 with Win 7. I have no need of Win 8 tips, etc, don't like it, won't use it. Honestly if I wasn't a gamer I'd never use Windows again, not that Windows is that bad of a system it's just I prefer getting an OS that is as good, if not better for free, an OS that is more responsive to it's users. I'd like to see Linux take off if for no other reason than forcing Microsoft to become more consumer responsive.
The tips I posted aren´t directed to you alone but for everyone who reads it. After applying my tips you´d have the feeling to work with an improved Windows 7 that boots faster, offers more features and is even more beautiful.

I don´t consider Linux to be as good as Windows. The jungle of distros gives one a big chance to load crapware that doesn´t support the hardware properly. One can only trust the big distributions halfway. As for the user responsiveness I can only quote Mark Shuttleworth (in context of user complaints) :
"This is not Democracy."
Once again, to each their own, you have you opinion, others have theirs (concerning Linux), such is life. I don't dis Windows 8, I just don't like it, it's a personal preference, hell I user beta tested it and told M$ they needed a separate classic interface to offer, I wasn't the only one telling them that, one of my reports to them was simple, "can you say New Coke?". Looks like they're finally listening...... sorta........
The large number of distributions and their compatibility issues are not an "opinion" but a fact. As for Windows 8, you are right. That issue is solved by the startisback menu. I have to visit the Modern UI not even once.

"This is not Democracy."
...and Microsoft is? Is that your point? Any distro I've tried had a demo so you don't even need to install it to test out hardware. What crapware are you blathering about? You are completely clueless.

The large number of distributions and their compatibility issues are not an "opinion" but a fact.
Hey asshole, I have a ten yo computer with a lot of peripherals. Every distro I've tried ran them all. I can plug my tablet and cell phone in and they too are mounted and identified. Are you claiming the latest Windows is backward compatible to everything? That was not my experience with previous upgrades, I often had to upgrade some hardware. Your ill informed and wrong headed opinions are no more than a juvenile slinging shit on a wall hoping something will stick, and who knows why? It makes no sense.

"This is not Democracy."
The large number of distributions and their compatibility issues are not an "opinion" but a fact. As for Windows 8, you are right. That issue is solved by the startisback menu. I have to visit the Modern UI not even once.
Funny how you infer your opinion isn't an opinion........... based on incompatibilities between different distros........ Speaks volumes....... Clutch at straws much?
Seriously, that steel trap you call a mind is a bad as Iceweasle and his anti-Windows position.
The different distros based on the percentage of the market Linux itself has is inconsequential to the fact that the primary two (used by the vat majority) can talk to one another, I mean come on, that's your excuse for what makes Linux a bad OS??!!!! You're joking, right?

Funny how you infer your opinion isn't an opinion........... based on incompatibilities between different distros........ Speaks volumes....... Clutch at straws much?
Seriously, that steel trap you call a mind is a bad as Iceweasle and his anti-Windows position.
The different distros based on the percentage of the market Linux itself has is inconsequential to the fact that the primary two (used by the vat majority) can talk to one another, I mean come on, that's your excuse for what makes Linux a bad OS??!!!! You're joking, right?
Which distro can't "talk" to another? All of the ones I've tried read and wrote to other Linux partitions as well as Windows and Mac so I don't know what you mean. And my "anti-Window" position is me relating my personal experience and why I have little use for it these days, NOT what I dictate somebody else needs or should prefer. Get your facts straight.

Which distro can't "talk" to another? All of the ones I've tried read and wrote to other Linux partitions as well as Windows and Mac so I don't know what you mean. And my "anti-Window" position is me relating my personal experience and why I have little use for it these days, NOT what I dictate somebody else needs or should prefer. Get your facts straight.
Never said you dictated to anything to anyone, simply that you have an anti-Windows bias, just like he has an anti-Linux bias. Ya shouldn't read into what isn't there.

Never said you dictated to anything to anyone, simply that you have an anti-Windows bias, just like he has an anti-Linux bias. Ya shouldn't read into what isn't there.
I didn't read into it, I'm speaking from personal experience, he's speaking about things he knows nothing about so it isn't "a bias just like his".

The large number of distributions and their compatibility issues are not an "opinion" but a fact.
Hey asshole, I have a ten yo computer with a lot of peripherals. Every distro I've tried ran them all. I can plug my tablet and cell phone in and they too are mounted and identified. Are you claiming the latest Windows is backward compatible to everything? That was not my experience with previous upgrades, I often had to upgrade some hardware. Your ill informed and wrong headed opinions are no more than a juvenile slinging shit on a wall hoping something will stick, and who knows why? It makes no sense.
So you´re the Caliph of the Linux State?

"This is not Democracy."
How was I talking about compatibility issues between distros?

I mean that hardware will probably not work with many distros. Webcams, Printers, etc.

"This is not Democracy."
How was I talking about compatibility issues between distros?

I mean that hardware will probably not work with many distros. Webcams, Printers, etc.
The VAST majority of people using Linux use Ubuntu, Mint and Fedora none of which have hardware issues except with a VERY few manufacturers when they introduce new hardware. Generally the big three write code for those very quickly so it's pretty much a non-issue.
And Iceweasle, according to Bleipriester, he's tried Linux and had issue with it, like you had issues with Windows..... Stop reading more into my statement then is there.
Hell if you two wanna battle back and forth all day long it's no skin off of my nose but if either on of you don't want to look like rabid adherents ya might consider opening up your minds and get past your personal experiences.
Years ago i had a piece of shit Toyota 4 Runner, one bad experience didn't turn me against Toyota, we own one now that's 10 years old and still going strong with only a cople of parts needing replacing.

The VAST majority of people using Linux use Ubuntu, Mint and Fedora none of which have hardware issues except with a VERY few manufacturers when they introduce new hardware. Generally the big three write code for those very quickly so it's pretty much a non-issue.
And Iceweasle, according to Bleipriester, he's tried Linux and had issue with it, like you had issues with Windows..... Stop reading more into my statement then is there.
Hell if you two wanna battle back and forth all day long it's no skin off of my nose but if either on of you don't want to look like rabid adherents ya might consider opening up your minds and get past your personal experiences.
Fuck you, you condescending prick. Who do you think you are? Everybody that used Windows or Linux had issues at some point. You are just babbling trying to look like you know what the fuck you're talking about. You don't. You don't even know what open source is. What would the "big three" write code for the same hardware? Two are based on Debian. Open up your own mind and learn something or don't pontificate on it.

Fuck you, you condescending prick. Who do you think you are? Everybody that used Windows or Linux had issues at some point. You are just babbling trying to look like you know what the fuck you're talking about. You don't. You don't even know what open source is. What would the "big three" write code for the same hardware? Two are based on Debian. Open up your own mind and learn something or don't pontificate on it.
My, my, what a sensitive little baby you are. I guess you can consider me condescending and when some thin skinned little buttwipe like you takes exception then yeah, it's condescending......... Hell you're so focused on being offended you have no clue what I'm referring to, too bad, thought you were more mature than that, obviously I was wrong. Think I just heard the recess bell ring, time for you to go out and yank on some little girls pig tails.......

My, my, what a sensitive little baby you are. I guess you can consider me condescending and when some thin skinned little buttwipe like you takes exception then yeah, it's condescending......... Hell you're so focused on being offended you have no clue what I'm referring to, too bad, thought you were more mature than that, obviously I was wrong. Think I just heard the recess bell ring, time for you to go out and yank on some little girls pig tails.......
You little prick. This thread is about Linux programs, not "how do I rescue my frail ego because someone uses a different OS than Windows". You've offered nothing but condescension and empty rhetoric. Go start your own thread or find one of the million Windows forums and like each others' asses if that's what you need. If you misrepresent what I said I will call you on it.

You clearly don't know what you're talking about and don't even have any idea what open source is, so don't blame others' for your shortcomings.

You little prick. This thread is about Linux programs, not "how do I rescue my frail ego because someone uses a different OS than Windows". You've offered nothing but condescension and empty rhetoric. Go start your own thread or find one of the million Windows forums and like each others' asses if that's what you need. If you misrepresent what I said I will call you on it.

You clearly don't know what you're talking about and don't even have any idea what open source is, so don't blame others' for your shortcomings.
Boy oh boy did I touch a nerve!! Yo Sputz, you need some serious counseling, if nothing else a mentor who's emotional maturity is at least a couple of years advanced of yours.... That would be be around 14 years of age..........
Here, maybe this will make you feel older:

moustache-pacifier.jpg

Boy oh boy did I touch a nerve!
Go fuck yourself, asshole. You've got nothing to offer to anybody.
And you have? :lmao:

Ya know, the fact that something I posted, something so trivial sent you over the edge, is quite telling. I haven't seen such a fragile ego since elementary school.
Dud, you need to grow the fuck up.

Sorry, not elementary, more like junior high school...........

Last edited:
Ya know, the fact that something I posted, something so trivial sent you over the edge, is quite telling. I haven't seen such a fragile ego since elementary school.
Dud, you need to grow the fuck up..
You need to disappear, which is going to happen a few seconds from now. You continue to derail the thread and make it personal with nothing to offer. You don't have the power to make people "go over the edge" you stupid little ****.

Dud, you need to grow the fuck up..
You need to disappear, which is going to happen a few seconds from now. You continue to derail the thread and make it personal with nothing to offer. You don't have the power to make people "go over the edge" you stupid little ****.
:lmao:

You're the one who went "postal" over a simple statement, gonna need a crowbar to get your head out of your ass. Hell, if you hadn't of lost it we wouldn't be having this back and forth right now. :thup:
Oh and the wittle whiner is gonna report me.......

Tantrum.jpg

Go ahead Sputz, this aughta be good....... :lmao:

Forum List

Back