50 Open Source Replacements for Windows XP

So basically what you did was take a machine that wouldn't run Vista and up without a BIOs upgrade and ran an equivalent (to Vista +) Linux distribution on that machine, probably a 64 bit as opposed to 32 bit (64 bit was unstable on older machines at that time) and that's where your making your comparison from.........?
You are aware of the scientific method..... right? One doesn't test compare grapes and watermelons to prove both are supposed to be the same thing, one tests different varieties of grapes to make valid comparisons of similar items.
No, Ubuntu 10.10 isn´t a 2014 OS, the MB isn´t cheap or something and you cannot conclude from Vista to Linux. Its like comparing grapes with watermelons. Its some years ago, btw.
If you wanted to make a valid comparison then Ubuntu 8 or 9 would have worked better. What's funny (strange) is I have an older home built machine, Asus M4A78 Pro mobo, Phenom IIx2 with 2 gigs of RAM DDR2, which ran Ubuntu flawlessly, even 11.10 (with Unity), which I hated. Switched over to Mint and ran that for another couple of years with no problems. Right now it's dual booted with Windows 7 and Ubuntu 13.10, runs like a charm. :dunno:
It´s how it is. Period. You cannot except that all OS´s will work properly on all computers.
Of course they don't but the only ones I have ever had any issues with are P4s and earlier with later versions of Ubuntu and Mint and like Iamwhatiseem I've loaded both on multiple machines though with me it was for neighbors and friends without problem. I lived in a mostly Hispanic neighborhood for years and ended up being the goto guy for all their computer needs. Once they used Linux, and realized I would only charge them for installation and/or reconfiguring they loved it...... obviously. But more than that, they loved the OS, I had so many comments about how they liked it more than Windows.
Me, I'll continue to use both Win 7 and Linux, as for Win 8, not no, hell no, Win 10??????? Not sure, depends on a couple of things, one would be that they bring back the old Windows game package that ended with the introduction of Win 8, I despise their new approach and hate the available games mostly from an ascetic and play stance.
If those guys like Linux, fine - no problem for me.
I have unetbootin that allows me to download various distros (or use already stored images) and store them directly to an USB-stick. Very easy.
I've always advocated that it's always a personal choice, I know people that want to switch to Linux but are either gamers or use business (office) applications that LibreOffice and OpenOffice have yet to work the compatibility bugs out of. As these programs become more and more compatible we'll probably see a larger migration over to Linux. With the direction M$ seems to be going in I'll probably end up running Win 7 in a VM within Linux Mint but I'm not a teensomething raised on cell phones, notebooks and tablets, I still like my 17" laptop and huge powerful desktops with 24" monitors....... don't have to wear my reading glasses......... :D

I've always advocated that it's always a personal choice, I know people that want to switch to Linux but are either gamers or use business (office) applications that LibreOffice and OpenOffice have yet to work the compatibility bugs out of. As these programs become more and more compatible we'll probably see a larger migration over to Linux. With the direction M$ seems to be going in I'll probably end up running Win 7 in a VM within Linux Mint but I'm not a teensomething raised on cell phones, notebooks and tablets, I still like my 17" laptop and huge powerful desktops with 24" monitors....... don't have to wear my reading glasses......... :D

I'll second that...in March I'll turn the big 5-0...I can't see the tiny screens either.
The beauty of Linux, especially Mint, is the simplicity, scalability and customization. You can make the GUI your own in every way. Although I did see a review in Win 10 where you will be able to customize window actions...hee hee...how many years has Linux offered that? I customized windows actions, and used transparent windows when I was in IT and that was the late 90's!!
I agree with "to each his own", but I do get pissed whenever M$ fanboys start with their "there is no real alternative to Windows" and "Linux is so haaaarrrrddd and doesn't work".
Modern Linux releases are awesome. It just works, it's fast and best of all STAYS FAST. Unlike every WIndows PC I have ever owned - they get slower and slower as the antiquated registry system gets more and more clogged.
Linux is better. And I don't say that because of an embedded dislike for M$...I say that because it is better. In my opinion of course.

I build my own rigs, and I build them to play the heavy graphics games. Because I built for the heavy load, I am still running an Intel Q9400 dual quad core processor with 8 gigs of RAM and the NVIDIA GTX 660 graphics card. I built my system in 2009, but rather than install Windows 7 at the time, software I had no idea about, I installed Windows XP Pro 64 bit. XP 64 bit gave me a bit of a problem because much of the software that I was to install in the future, such as Turbo Tax, searched for 32 bit Windows XP updates. Windows XP 64 bit only required 2 patch updates, not 4 like Windows XP 32 bit, but each new app that I tried to install would stop on the fact that I didn't have the 4th patch. As a result, I would have to go into the files and manually load the software. When I purchased my wife's new laptop, I was forced to learn Windows 8. I eventually installed Windows 8 on my desktop. I have no problem with it. I go past the Metro and go to the desktop setting, which looks surprisingly just like XP. No, I won't install Windows 8.1. Windows 8 works just fine for me, now.

I once tried to install Redhat Linux on an old IBM laptop. The install would run for about an hour so I would leave and do something else. Invariably when I returned, I was met with an error message that Linux failed to install due to incompatibility with the hardware. I gave up, but even if I had a PC with Linux, I see no use for it, since Linux is incompatible with the games I play. Let Linux come out with compatibility to play games, and I would switch. If that were to happen, I could see Linux charging for its software, but even still probably giving Microsoft a run for the money. Anything that could break up the Microsoft monopoly control of the worldwide market would be good.

I once tried to install Redhat Linux on an old IBM laptop. The install would run for about an hour so I would leave and do something else. Invariably when I returned, I was met with an error message that Linux failed to install due to incompatibility with the hardware. I gave up, but even if I had a PC with Linux, I see no use for it, since Linux is incompatible with the games I play. Let Linux come out with compatibility to play games, and I would switch. If that were to happen, I could see Linux charging for its software, but even still probably giving Microsoft a run for the money. Anything that could break up the Microsoft monopoly control of the worldwide market would be good.
The problem with game producers and Linux is "opensource", The vast majority of game producers are afraid if they write for Linux their product will be hacked and freely disseminated costing them large amounts of lost revenue. In truth they could write in protections to minimize this potentiality but why bother as Linux only makes up a small fraction of the market and it costs money to write or rewrite their products for Linux.
Steam has started working with games for Linux but currently the options are extremely limited. Give it time, the move to make certain Linux distros more and more user friendly with the ability to run programs/games written for M$ (much to the chagrin of the Linux purists) is still in it's infancy.

The problem with game producers and Linux is "opensource", The vast majority of game producers are afraid if they write for Linux their product will be hacked and freely disseminated costing them large amounts of lost revenue. In truth they could write in protections to minimize this potentiality but why bother as Linux only makes up a small fraction of the market and it costs money to write or rewrite their products for Linux.
Steam has started working with games for Linux but currently the options are extremely limited. Give it time, the move to make certain Linux distros more and more user friendly with the ability to run programs/games written for M$ (much to the chagrin of the Linux purists) is still in it's infancy.
The games are hacked and distributed for free also on Windows. They sell them anyway. However, they fear that nobody would buy a copy of their games for Linux.

One of the major problems I faced with Windows XP 64 bit was the lack of drivers for hardware devices. Previously when I ran the 32 bit version of XP, there were drivers for my old Sony Cybershot camera. As soon as I made the move to the 64 bit version, I discovered I could no longer download my pictures to my desktop, and Sony refused to create drivers for the 64 bit version. I had to switch to 64 bits, since my new PC was based on a 64 bit system. When I went to Windows 8, all my problems about missing drivers were resolved. Though Win8's interface took some getting used to, I am happy with it, just the same.

One of the major problems I faced with Windows XP 64 bit was the lack of drivers for hardware devices. Previously when I ran the 32 bit version of XP, there were drivers for my old Sony Cybershot camera. As soon as I made the move to the 64 bit version, I discovered I could no longer download my pictures to my desktop, and Sony refused to create drivers for the 64 bit version. I had to switch to 64 bits, since my new PC was based on a 64 bit system. When I went to Windows 8, all my problems about missing drivers were resolved. Though Win8's interface took some getting used to, I am happy with it, just the same.
A CPU with 64 bit support doesn´t force one to use a 64 Bit Operating System. XP 64 is a rarity end ever was so there may be driver issues. Some Vista/7 drivers work for XP 64, however.

As for Windows 8, there are some tools available for download in the Windows 8 Tips and Support thread, that make Windows 8 far better to use.

Last edited:
The games are hacked and distributed for free also on Windows. They sell them anyway. However, they fear that nobody would buy a copy of their games for Linux.
I know their games are hacked on Windows, I got the gist of what I posted from a couple of articles I read about 6 years ago where the big games developers were asked why not, that was their response. Apparently the old stigma attached to the word "opensource" (a stigma perpetrated by M$ I might add) and a fear they would lose or not make money (no sales and loss due to theft) that most simply hadn't considered it.
Also the Linux user demographics are changing, the purists are becoming a smaller and smaller cabal as more people like me have been discovering Linux, people who want a plug and play experience without the learning curve being too steep, Zorin, Mint and Ubuntu definitely meet that need. And we would be willing to pay for programs, games and even Mint or Ubuntu though not a lot for the OSs....... At least not what M$ charges for their products, maybe something more affordable for most people like a $20 or $25 outlay.
Heck, even though Linux makes up a small fraction that still equates to millions of users, sounds like a small but untapped market to me.

I know their games are hacked on Windows, I got the gist of what I posted from a couple of articles I read about 6 years ago where the big games developers were asked why not, that was their response. Apparently the old stigma attached to the word "opensource" (a stigma perpetrated by M$ I might add) and a fear they would lose or not make money (no sales and loss due to theft) that most simply hadn't considered it.
Also the Linux user demographics are changing, the purists are becoming a smaller and smaller cabal as more people like me have been discovering Linux, people who want a plug and play experience without the learning curve being too steep, Zorin, Mint and Ubuntu definitely meet that need. And we would be willing to pay for programs, games and even Mint or Ubuntu though not a lot for the OSs....... At least not what M$ charges for their products, maybe something more affordable for most people like a $20 or $25 outlay.
Heck, even though Linux makes up a small fraction that still equates to millions of users, sounds like a small but untapped market to me.
Given that only 4 out of 10 games make money, who wonders that Linux is not a question. Hell, the whole PC as gaming platform was questioned few years ago. Fortunately, digital distribution gave that development a new direction and the PC has become an important platform again. Before that, many PC games were just cheap portings of the console versions or were not even released for PC for a time.
Shuhei Yoshida Only Four Out of Ten PlayStation Games Make Money but Sony Will Always Support Talent DualShockers

As for Windows 8, there are some tools available for download in the Windows 8 Tips and Support thread, that make Windows 8 far better to use.

You must have stepped away before finishing your sentence above... I'll help - "As for Windows 8, there are some tools available for download in the Windows 8 Tips and Support thread, that make Windows 8 far better to use by making it like Windows 7 as much as possible.
:eusa_angel:

You must have stepped away before finishing your sentence above... I'll help - "As for Windows 8, there are some tools available for download in the Windows 8 Tips and Support thread, that make Windows 8 far better to use by making it like Windows 7 as much as possible.
They simply combine the advantages of both making it the favorite OS.

No that is Windows 10. They wouldn't dream of doing that without charging for it.
Most of the tools for undoing the 8 screw up was not made by Microsoft. So they copied what everyone was already doing and called it a new OS...yay!
Oh - I almost forgot...they added multi-desktop. Always thinking of the consumer needs those guys!

No that is Windows 10. They wouldn't dream of doing that without charging for it.
Most of the tools for undoing the 8 screw up was not made by Microsoft. So they copied what everyone was already doing and called it a new OS...yay!
Oh - I almost forgot...they added multi-desktop. Always thinking of the consumer needs those guys!
Not really. The Windows 10 start menu is not really a good replacement for the Windows 7 menu. Startisback however is a full featured start menu with all the Win7 features plus more.

Yep, I hated XP 64.

Those were my main Linux years, when XP sucked ass. Once Vista/7 came out, there really was no reason for Linux anymore. I still keep a copy of Ubuntu in duel boot, but virtually never use it. Sure, some Windows programs run poorly under wine, but most don't run at all.

I run Windows 7 Ultimate on my desktop, have zero issues with it. I7 4770K @5.04, 16gb 2100 - never have a hint of problem. I run Window 8.1 on my Surface Pro 3 - greatest machine ever built - and have no problem with it.

PC games were dying a decade ago. While Pirates claimed that had nothing to do with it, that people just liked consoles better, the advent of STEAM and the clones turned that around. Today PC games outsell all the consoles combined, it is the biggest game platform available, with Android nipping at it's heals.

The change was simple, using STEAM as DRM is fairly non-intrusive to the user. I find STEAM to be great, no CD or DVD's, no silly keys, no DRM shit to fuck up my machine - yeah Ubi, I'm talking to you.

Linux will get games through STEAM and Origin, but no one is going to release them in general, they would sell one copy which would find it's way to 500 million machines. But remember that games need horsepower. I spend in the realm of $5-600 for a graphics card every couple of years. The guy running Mint on 200mHz Celeron isn't going to find a pleasurable experience running AC Blackflag.

PC games were dying a decade ago. While Pirates claimed that had nothing to do with it, that people just liked consoles better, the advent of STEAM and the clones turned that around. Today PC games outsell all the consoles combined, it is the biggest game platform available, with Android nipping at it's heals.

The change was simple, using STEAM as DRM is fairly non-intrusive to the user. I find STEAM to be great, no CD or DVD's, no silly keys, no DRM shit to fuck up my machine - yeah Ubi, I'm talking to you.

Linux will get games through STEAM and Origin, but no one is going to release them in general, they would sell one copy which would find it's way to 500 million machines. But remember that games need horsepower. I spend in the realm of $5-600 for a graphics card every couple of years. The guy running Mint on 200mHz Celeron isn't going to find a pleasurable experience running AC Blackflag.
The guy running Mint on 200mHz Celeron isn't going to be buying those type of games.......... but you knew that, right?

Yep, I hated XP 64.

Those were my main Linux years, when XP sucked ass. Once Vista/7 came out, there really was no reason for Linux anymore. I still keep a copy of Ubuntu in duel boot, but virtually never use it. Sure, some Windows programs run poorly under wine, but most don't run at all.

I run Windows 7 Ultimate on my desktop, have zero issues with it. I7 4770K @5.04, 16gb 2100 - never have a hint of problem. I run Window 8.1 on my Surface Pro 3 - greatest machine ever built - and have no problem with it.

Hilarious...thanks for the laugh this morning!
Yeah...Vista was better than XP...:lmao:
Wine running Windows programs...:eusa_eh:...here we go again...you don't grade an OS by how well it does/does not run applications designed for a different OS through an emulator. :dunno:
Surface Pro 3 greatest machine ever built....:laugh2:

tatuaje-windows.jpg

Welp, not replacing XP, obviously but will never move beyond Win 7 after my M$ experience today. Replaced an old smaller HD with a nice new large HD a month ago, did a fresh load with the legally purchased and activated Win 7 disc I used on the old drive. Today I get the black screen with Windows 7, Build 1706, This is not a genuine Windows (or something like that). Tried activating and the damn activation was still spinning a hour later so I closed it out and called tech support. Explained what I did, gave them the product code and they told me it was an invalid key, I would have to buy a new one......... :wtf:
Basically they told me it was pirated, BULL SHIT!!!!! Told them they just lost another customer. Looks like M$ just forced me to chose and I'm not choosing M$.......... Maybe I should learn to write high graphics games for Linux........ :eusa_whistle:

Forum List

Back