Think Linux is Safe?

Ringel05

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2009
Duke City
We just dodged a bullet...... More like a howitzer round........

This backdoor almost infected Linux everywhere: The XZ Utils close call​

The backdoor was discovered because Linux is open source, if it was a closed system it would have infected millions.
It all started when Andres Freund, a Microsoft principal software engineer, became curious about why the SSH remote security code in the Debian Linux beta was running slowly. Freund did some digging and discovered the problem: A chief programmer and maintainer of the xz data compression library, Jia Tan, had put a backdoor in the code. Its purpose? To enable attackers to take over Linux systems.

We just dodged a bullet...... More like a howitzer round........

This backdoor almost infected Linux everywhere: The XZ Utils close call​

Is that just for Debian? That's undetermined as of yet I guess.

I know it's a newer thing, so if your install is older..might be alright!

Not just Debian but all of the "bleeding-edge" beta distributions. None of the production distros were affected.
Uh oh! :aargh:

J/K. I made the mistake of trying that stuff before. Just when you get it going, half the stuff is broken.

And then you do an update and it's more broken. :auiqs.jpg:

I don't deal with icky tarballz at all.

I've never heard anyone claim any system was immune ... not while END_USER.EXE is still in beta testing ... root account password is still 1234? ... you deserve to be hacked ...

Ruh roh.

That's been it's selling point since, well, since...!

I've never heard anyone claim any system was immune ... not while END_USER.EXE is still in beta testing ... root account password is still 1234? ... you deserve to be hacked ...
Let me guess, you've been living in a cave for the last 20 years........... There are large numbers who think because they run ether Linux or Apple they are immune to viruses, etc.

Let me guess, you've been living in a cave for the last 20 years........... There are large numbers who think because they run ether Linux or Apple they are immune to viruses, etc.

Most people don't set passwords either ... do you? ...

Windoze is fertile ground for viruses ... just by sheer numbers ... that's a lot of people who flat don't care about their personal information ... it's not worth sending even "1234" to my computer ...

Most people don't set passwords either ... do you? ...

Windoze is fertile ground for viruses ... just by sheer numbers ... that's a lot of people who flat don't care about their personal information ... it's not worth sending even "1234" to my computer ...
We don't need no stinking passwords........ :rolleyes-41:

Really? :rofl:

You're kidding!! Microsoft being the largest OS by any stretch of the imagination is vulnerable!!?? Say it isn't so!!!!!!

(I hope you recognize sarcasm when you see it........) ;)

So you gave up in 1998 eh?
What, with like SunOS or something? No.

I had been rolling for a few years by 1998.

I was just getting started! :springbed:

I remember Manson and Zelifcam. Woz outed all the phone codes and we could make free calls to anywhere.

Having a computer dialer made for all kinds of shenanigans.

The Wizard of Woz and Manson were Macfags. I wasn't, I was a PC guy, but I respected them, and they respected me.

I was among a very few they'd let hang in their room after I told 'em who I was. Aaron was another.

Oh! And Kali. :auiqs.jpg: Omy I wish I could do that stuff on some forum somewhere..with like..Jehovah scroller. :auiqs.jpg:

I'd just like to find the original ascii texts and save them for posterity. Thing was probably programmed in VB3.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back