.44 magnum is not a self defense round

As a 1st responder i walked into a situation where the deceased ate a .44

Body on floor, blood poring out of the mouth, brains all over the wall

Methinks a .44 can do the job

~S~

The closest I have is a .45 Colt which can be pushed to .44 Mag velocities/energy in a revolver strong enough to take it. Certainly not my USFA SAA, but a Ruger Super Blackhawk, or Redhawk. Reloading opens up a lot of options for these calibers.

For the house I prefer something with less noise, and muzzle blast, like 9MM.

Long as he diddnt get 6 rounds of full house 180 grain in your chest!
Of course he wouldn't. I am not stupid. Despite grandpa gunslinger's odd little fantasies, people don't slowly walk up to you and tell you they are going to knock your ass out to rob you. And anyway, it's more likely I'll be the one acting in self defense, when he has a little hissy and reaches for his hip cannon.

yep, one quick swing... grandpa's brains on the wall, all his guns in my pockets.

No, and your nonsense is just that.

Come into my home with a baseball bat, we all know buck shot does wonders and believe me you will not sneak in my home.

Now stop with your ignorance!

Of course he wouldn't. I am not stupid. Despite grandpa gunslinger's odd little fantasies, people don't slowly walk up to you and tell you they are going to knock your ass out to rob you. And anyway, it's more likely I'll be the one acting in self defense, when he has a little hissy and reaches for his hip cannon.

yep, one quick swing... grandpa's brains on the wall, all his guns in my pockets.

I would pay your air fair to see that. That guy most likely you could pull it off, he is a trickshooter, but some of those old farts wouldn’t shoot you for your attempt, but they would rape your butt with the bat.
They would do nothing but look the other way, because I would crack their old asses before they felt the breeze.

I love the keyboard commados don't know shit, can't do shit but they sure are fun with their hollow threats.

I like my 44 mag. one shot is all i need. Nice thing too is if you are late getting it out you can easily stop a car with one shot to the engine. As for all those autos with magazines is you need to hit your target just as I do and I do hit my target every time.
And you, senorita are utterly full of shit.
A 44 has a ton of impact force but an automotive cast iron engine is out of the realm.
No worries
It's your parents fault for letting you have access to a TV.
( gunsmith since the seventies)

I'll take my FNX Tactical .45 with 16 rounds.
FNX-45-Tactical-618x412.jpg

Those are pretty pistols, especially in the FDE color.

I talked to a police officer this weekend while he was in a Kwik-Trip store buying a box of doughnuts (insert joke here).

He was carrying an FN and said all of La Cross's police officers were using them. They're thinking of changing over to Glocks though.

The thing is a tack driver and has never jammed through the thousands of rounds I've put through it.

Maybe I should change from the Glock 19 I'm carrying. It doesn't seem to be all that accurate.

They're a little pricey.
As shown expect to pay around $2200

Yikes! Too rich for my pocketbook. I bought my G19 while standing out front a gun show a few years back. You get the best deal from people bringing in their guns to sell or trade.

The pistol itself is around $1200.

You know nothing about situational awareness, judging someone's character by their demeanor, they way they're acting, or where their hands are. Most people who carry don't walk down the street with their face in a phone, texting messages.

Trust me, I know about this. All it took was pushing back my coat and putting my had on the visible pistol, and they made a nice wide detour around me.
Of course, that's a lie and never happened. But I would definitely sneak up on you and crack you one, then take what i wanted....if i chose to do so.

Yes, the gun cult thing of admiring firearms and marksmanship and protecting firearm rights is a "goofy" thing, meantime, you are off hiding in a bush somewhere in the dark with a wood bat looking to sneak up on old people to bash their heads in from behind. And that proves what? I mean, besides what we already knew about you?

I'm a member of the "gun culture" and have been for 52 years. I've had a conceal carry permit and have carried every day since 2011. Even though some of my firearms could be called "hunting" guns, I don't hunt that much.

I do collect older guns though, mostly WW2 battle rifles: American Enfields and Springfields, British Enfields, Japanese Arisakas, and German Mausers, and a variety of pistols.

I had two good range days last week: One day I shot up 100 rounds of 6.5 Japanese in a WW2-era Type 38 Arisaka, that I had worked up a handload for. The day before that, I shot 100 rounds of .44 magnum out of a 7" barreled Uberti Cattleman 1873-style revolver, all of which I had loaded. This week it will be some .38 Special I'm working up a load for.

Aside from protection or hunting, firearms are a pastime. No different than golf, or fishing, restoring vintage automobiles, or collecting stamps for that matter. A firearm is nothing more than a machine, and the idea is to tame that machine and get it to shoot the tightest groups you can get.

I've never hand-loaded but my buddy does and says it is enormously cheaper than buying new.

It depends. .44 magnum is perfect for shooting cast bullets out of. Same with .45 colt and the 45/70 and their Ilk. I just bought a rifle in .45 colt and I’m about a week away from owning a consecutively numbered pair of Ruger Blackhawks in .45 Colt/ .45 ACP. A 250+- grain bullet over 8 grains of some fast type powder makes for a decent all around rifle that’s a pleasure to shoot. Black powder is next on my list. I need a hand gun to go with my Musketoon.

DBCB8C9A-4A46-4FD1-94BF-DD3F2E190E90.jpeg

Mine will be a five shot .51 caliber 5 shot Ruger Old Army. It will be my archery back up gun.

Those are pretty pistols, especially in the FDE color.

I talked to a police officer this weekend while he was in a Kwik-Trip store buying a box of doughnuts (insert joke here).

He was carrying an FN and said all of La Cross's police officers were using them. They're thinking of changing over to Glocks though.

The thing is a tack driver and has never jammed through the thousands of rounds I've put through it.

Maybe I should change from the Glock 19 I'm carrying. It doesn't seem to be all that accurate.

They're a little pricey.

Yikes! Too rich for my pocketbook. I bought my G19 while standing out front a gun show a few years back. You get the best deal from people bringing in their guns to sell or trade.

That’s the FN thingy right?

They're a little pricey.

That’s the FN thingy right?

That it is.
I've never shot a better .45.

I think a short-barreled .44 magnum like a Charter Arms Bulldog would be a good self-defense pistol. But I think they only made them in .44 Special..

64420_BULLDOG_Nitride_.44_Spl_2.5in_LF_2048x2048.JPG

You know nothing about situational awareness, judging someone's character by their demeanor, they way they're acting, or where their hands are. Most people who carry don't walk down the street with their face in a phone, texting messages.

Trust me, I know about this. All it took was pushing back my coat and putting my had on the visible pistol, and they made a nice wide detour around me.
Of course, that's a lie and never happened. But I would definitely sneak up on you and crack you one, then take what i wanted....if i chose to do so.

Yes, the gun cult thing of admiring firearms and marksmanship and protecting firearm rights is a "goofy" thing, meantime, you are off hiding in a bush somewhere in the dark with a wood bat looking to sneak up on old people to bash their heads in from behind. And that proves what? I mean, besides what we already knew about you?

I'm a member of the "gun culture" and have been for 52 years. I've had a conceal carry permit and have carried every day since 2011. Even though some of my firearms could be called "hunting" guns, I don't hunt that much.

I do collect older guns though, mostly WW2 battle rifles: American Enfields and Springfields, British Enfields, Japanese Arisakas, and German Mausers, and a variety of pistols.

I had two good range days last week: One day I shot up 100 rounds of 6.5 Japanese in a WW2-era Type 38 Arisaka, that I had worked up a handload for. The day before that, I shot 100 rounds of .44 magnum out of a 7" barreled Uberti Cattleman 1873-style revolver, all of which I had loaded. This week it will be some .38 Special I'm working up a load for.

Aside from protection or hunting, firearms are a pastime. No different than golf, or fishing, restoring vintage automobiles, or collecting stamps for that matter. A firearm is nothing more than a machine, and the idea is to tame that machine and get it to shoot the tightest groups you can get.

I've never hand-loaded but my buddy does and says it is enormously cheaper than buying new.

It depends. .44 magnum is perfect for shooting cast bullets out of. Same with .45 colt and the 45/70 and their Ilk. I just bought a rifle in .45 colt and I’m about a week away from owning a consecutively numbered pair of Ruger Blackhawks in .45 Colt/ .45 ACP. A 250+- grain bullet over 8 grains of some fast type powder makes for a decent all around rifle that’s a pleasure to shoot. Black powder is next on my list. I need a hand gun to go with my Musketoon.

View attachment 222643

Mine will be a five shot .51 caliber 5 shot Ruger Old Army. It will be my archery back up gun.
2400 is a fun powder because of the flame thrower effect in a short barrel. 110 is more realistic. A Blackhawk/Redhawk will take fuckups i 'measuring" the powder. Go careful with a 29.
I only loaded hard to make sure a halfass shot knocked the silhouette pig at 100.Generally I racall 13-15 of 2400 was a hottish 44 special load. Plenty of ass and good an acurate for most anything.
Hot magnum loads are for small dicks and Walmart camo crowds or big game hunters and silhouette guys. 44 special and 45 LC are fine for most anything.
Powerful stuff with a hell of a slap. Compared to .38-9mm crap it's like the difference between being stabbed with a screwdriver or hit by a REAL heavy hammer

I would pay your air fair to see that. That guy most likely you could pull it off, he is a trickshooter, but some of those old farts wouldn’t shoot you for your attempt, but they would rape your butt with the bat.
They would do nothing but look the other way, because I would crack their old asses before they felt the breeze.

I love the keyboard commados don't know shit, can't do shit but they sure are fun with their hollow threats.
Oh you mean the short d*ck gun queers? Yeah, they are a test of one's patience....~S~

View attachment 222643

2400 is a fun powder because of the flame thrower effect in a short barrel. 110 is more realistic. A Blackhawk/Redhawk will take fuckups i 'measuring" the powder. Go careful with a 29.
I only loaded hard to make sure a halfass shot knocked the silhouette pig at 100.Generally I racall 13-15 of 2400 was a hottish 44 special load. Plenty of ass and good an acurate for most anything.
Hot magnum loads are for small dicks and Walmart camo crowds or big game hunters and silhouette guys. 44 special and 45 LC are fine for most anything.
Powerful stuff with a hell of a slap. Compared to .38-9mm crap it's like the difference between being stabbed with a screwdriver or hit by a REAL heavy hammer

Agreed! 2400 does best when pushing magnum loads. I've been mostly shooting 180 grain and 240 grain cast lead bullets, so I keep the velocity down to 800-900 fps or so,. Winchester 231 or HP-38 powder.

I use the 2400 when I'm using jacketed bullets though.

I think a short-barreled .44 magnum like a Charter Arms Bulldog would be a good self-defense pistol. But I think they only made them in .44 Special..

Ruger and Smith offed 2” 44’s. I think the super Redhawk .454 even comes in 3”! And I believe smith even does a snubby .500.

Ruger and Smith offed 2” 44’s. I think the super Redhawk .454 even comes in 3”! And I believe smith even does a snubby .500.

Heck with those .500's. I got to shoot one at the range a few weeks ago and it wasn't pleasant. I can handle recoil just fine but that thing wasn't much fun.

And what situation do you imagine yourself in where you are carrying a baseball bat and will disarm someone with a firearm?

My main concern for self defense is in my home. Do you plan to be able to break down my door, get across the living room, and get to me before I put a couple of large caliber holes in you?

Or are you talking about just walking down the street with a bat and attacking people at random without making any threatening moves first?

It's a great self-defense round in a short-barreled S&W, but the limited capacity of most revolver's cylinders make them a bad choice. I wouldn't want to get shot at while I was trying to reload.

Glock 19 with 15 in the mag, one in the chamber, and two spare magazines is a better choice.

If the fight is still going after firing 6 rounds, you should have spent more time at the range. Hit someone with a 9mm and there is a chance they keep fighting. Especially if they are wearing body armor. But even with body armor, a hit to the body with a .44 Magnum will put them down. It may only be cracked ribs and an inability to draw a breath, but the threat is gone.

I like my 44 mag. one shot is all i need. Nice thing too is if you are late getting it out you can easily stop a car with one shot to the engine. As for all those autos with magazines is you need to hit your target just as I do and I do hit my target every time.
That will certainly come in handy, the next time you are attacked by a target. Or a mannequin.

Sorry to mess with you guys, but this gun cult thing is goofy.

You simply do not understand what the practice at the range does. It creates muscle memory for accurate shooting. No, we do not expect to be attacked by paper targets. But by shooting at those paper targets, over and over and over and over, it becomes easier to do without concentrating on the act itself.

So your knock against guns is that they are not an effective defense against someone sneaking up behind you and cracking you in the head with a baseball bat?

What, pray tell, is an effective defense against such cowardly acts? Martial arts training will not help. Calling 911 will not stop it. Even if cops are close by, they will not be able to stop it. So what is the point of your argument?

Forum List

Back