1975 S&W Model 57 .41 Magnum

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
I have been working on this deal for a good month and a half off and on and it finally bore fruit today!

A 4" barreled 1975 S&W Model 57 (no dash) in .41 Magnum, a couple boxes of ammo, and a field holster for $707.50. The odd number was because we split the $15.00 VSP call-in cost.

57 003 (2).JPG

It's a N-Frame and has the target hammer and trigger along with the target sights. It has some wear (it was a police revolver) but they are damn hard to find in 4" for some reason for anything under 1K in like condition.

It filled the gaping hole in my S&W N-Frame line-up. ;)

I'll be replacing the stocks as I don't care for the target stocks....I hope to find a set of Ahrends Combat grips for it.

More:

I have been working on this deal for a good month and a half off and on and it finally bore fruit today!

A 4" barreled 1975 S&W Model 57 (no dash) in .41 Magnum, a couple boxes of ammo, and a field holster for $707.50. The odd number was because we split the $15.00 VSP call-in cost.

View attachment 910871

It's a N-Frame and has the target hammer and trigger along with the target sights. It has some wear (it was a police revolver) but they are damn hard to find in 4" for some reason for anything under 1K in like condition.

I'll be replacing the stocks as I don't care for the target stocks....I hope to find a set of Ahrends Combat grips for it.

More:

.44 Magnum is .429 with a nice length on the shell casing ... how does .41 compare to .44 magnum?

View attachment 910871

More:

Nice revolver! I have the 6" version.

What do you mean you were "working on this deal?"

Also, why revolvers over, say, auto or semi-auto?

.41 is actually more efficient. It's a true .41 cal.

How do you mean "more efficient"?

If you absolutely had to chose between the .41 Magnum and the .44 Magnum in a similar S&W revolver, which would you chose?

Please remember that the .44 ammunition is much easier to find and revolvers chambered for .44 Magnum also accept .44 Special.

The .41 Magnum is an excellent round and the 1975 S&W in the OP is an equally excellent sidearm.

I generally chose firearms that are chambered in commonly found calibers.

Thanks,

How do you mean "more efficient"?

If you absolutely had to chose between the .41 Magnum and the .44 Magnum in a similar S&W revolver, which would you chose?

Please remember that the .44 ammunition is much easier to find and revolvers chambered for .44 Magnum also accept .44 Special.

The .41 Magnum is an excellent round and the 1975 S&W in the OP is an equally excellent sidearm.

I generally chose firearms that are chambered in commonly found calibers.

Thanks,

I already did. I chose the .41 magnum. The .41 is not over bore. That means you get a complete burn of powder, while the .44 mag doesn't.

I don't like .44 Spl, it's an ok round, I just have no use for it. The Model 57 is my hiking handgun. Powerful enough to deal with a mad, sick, bear, or mountain lion, and accurate out to 200 yards. I don't carry a longarm, so the handgun has to do it for me.

I already did. I chose the .41 magnum. The .41 is not over bore. That means you get a complete burn of powder, while the .44 mag doesn't.

I don't like .44 Spl, it's an ok round, I just have no use for it. The Model 57 is my hiking handgun. Powerful enough to deal with a mad, sick, bear, or mountain lion, and accurate out to 200 yards. I don't carry a longarm, so the handgun has to do it for me.
If memory serves it found it's calling out west as Cougar medicine.

Marlin made the M1894 lever-action in .41 Magnum but they are about as scarce as the older no-dash pinned and recessed S&W revolvers.

If memory serves it found it's calling out west as Cougar medicine.

Marlin made the M1894 lever-action in .41 Magnum but they are about as scarce as the older no-dash pinned and recessed S&W revolvers.
Yeah, Marlin did, but if I am going to carry a longarm, it's going to be in a rifle caliber.

I've always found a carbine/handgun in the same caliber as prudent.
Some do. I don't. In the woods my Model 57 is excellent out to 200 yards. That's the furthest distance I will have to engage a target.

In the desert, the range is minimum 400 yards. The carbine gives an extra 100 yards. That's just not worth it for me.

I have a Model 94 in .45 Colt that I used for cowboy action shooting, but it is basically a toy.

I would never use it for serious work.

I own a 1976 Ruger .41 magnum Liberty Edition revolver, 6 inch barrel.
Had a buddy help me load a few hundred rounds for it as the cost of boxed ammo was ridiculous.
Thing is a hand cannon.

Are you claiming that all .44 Magnum ammunition is improperly loaded?

I've a reloading set and have been reloading ammunition for 50 years and only improperly loaded ammunition or either a very short barrel leaves unburned powder.

I've also got a Charter Arms "Bulldog" in .44 Spl. that is also about 50 years old, easy to conceal and far more comforting than a .380 auto caliber of the same size.

While I believe that the difference between the .41 Magnum and the .44 Magnum (.429 caliber) is ballistically insignificant, the .44 Magnum ammunition is easier to find and more plentiful in my opinion.

My most recent .44 Magnum is a very accurate S&W Mod. 29 Lew Horton edition (solid / unfluted cylinder, 4" bbl, gold trigger, hammer, cylinder release, target sights etc) so I will admit my bias for the .44 Magnum.

Thanks,

My most recent .44 Magnum is a very accurate S&W Mod. 29 Lew Horton edition (solid / unfluted cylinder, 4" bbl, gold trigger, hammer, cylinder release, target sights etc) so I will admit my bias for the .44 Magnum.
I owned a Lew Horton 29-3 3" for a short time.....It was a fine example of a "well you can if you want but I don't know if you should" revolver.....It was sure a sexy beast though. ;)

Like this one:

Lew-Horton-Smith-Wesson-SW-Model-29-3-101224-.44-Mag-3-Revovler-NO-CA.jpg

Are you claiming that all .44 Magnum ammunition is improperly loaded?

I've a reloading set and have been reloading ammunition for 50 years and only improperly loaded ammunition or either a very short barrel leaves unburned powder.

I've also got a Charter Arms "Bulldog" in .44 Spl. that is also about 50 years old, easy to conceal and far more comforting than a .380 auto caliber of the same size.

While I believe that the difference between the .41 Magnum and the .44 Magnum (.429 caliber) is ballistically insignificant, the .44 Magnum ammunition is easier to find and more plentiful in my opinion.

Thanks,

It's not improperly loaded. It just isn't as efficient as .41. .44 mags can be extremely accurate. That has never been in question. And yes, you are correct about the availability of ammo etc.

I just chose the .41 because it is the best at the job that I need.

It's not improperly loaded. It just isn't as efficient as .41. .44 mags can be extremely accurate. That has never been in question. And yes, you are correct about the availability of ammo etc.

That's all the reason anyone needs to chose any firearm.

I owned a Lew Horton 29-3 3" for a short time.....It was a fine example of a "well you can if you want but I don't know if you should" revolver.....It was sure a sexy beast though. ;)

Like this one:

Lew-Horton-Smith-Wesson-SW-Model-29-3-101224-.44-Mag-3-Revovler-NO-CA.jpg

That's also a very nice looking revolver.

I'm not real crazy about the gold plated hammer, trigger and cylinder release button on my Lew Horton Mod. 29 but do like the solid cylinder and the way it shoots.

Thanks,

That's also a very nice looking revolver.

I'm not real crazy about the gold plated hammer, trigger and cylinder release button on my Lew Horton Mod. 29 but do like the solid cylinder and the way it shoots.

Thanks,
Well it could be worse. ;)

DSCN7281__2_-470619.jpg

I picked this one up several years ago....Why i have no idea. :dunno:

Forum List

Back