$15 Minimum Wage Is Speeding Up the ERA of Automation

First they will replace the cashiers. This won't be difficult
Protesters Aren t Going to Like How McDonald s is Reacting to Their Minimum Wage Concerns

Next they will get rid of the cooks. This was built in 2010, but I think $15 a hour will get it into play.
Burger Robot Poised to Disrupt Fast Food Industry - Singularity HUBSingularity HUB

Many Janitorial Jobs will be taken over by machines also.

So what jobs will be left:
(1) Loader of the Food into the burger maker. This could get automated also, but I think it will require a human.
(2) Machine Mechanic: Only 1-3 per location would probably be necessary. It would be a high pay position at least.
(3) IT Support: Ditto
(4) Janitor: I don't think a robot could do it all.
(5) Store Manager/Customer Service Rep: I could see a few working there.

Bottomline there will be far fewer workers in the fast food industry!

And they will have fewer customers.

Why, because that Big Mac might cost you an extra quarter?

I don't eat fast food very often. The type of people they would be unemploying do however. Unemployed customers bad for business.

Protesters Aren t Going to Like How McDonald s is Reacting to Their Minimum Wage Concerns

Next they will get rid of the cooks. This was built in 2010, but I think $15 a hour will get it into play.
Burger Robot Poised to Disrupt Fast Food Industry - Singularity HUBSingularity HUB

(1) Loader of the Food into the burger maker. This could get automated also, but I think it will require a human.
(2) Machine Mechanic: Only 1-3 per location would probably be necessary. It would be a high pay position at least.

Automation is a far as it's going to get until someone teaches a machine to think.

According to the company that makes it, the burger maker robot won't make burgers.

Mechanic, no way.

IT Support: That's a good one. With wireless offices I can see less jobs in installation, but fixing a problem requires diagnosis, which requires the human brain.

Janitor: No way

Store Manager/Customer Service Rep: No way. There are machine that will assist the human, but will not replace them.

McDonalds will pay their employees more. The profit in fast food is huge, now they have to share...Boo Hoo!
Restaurant profit margin is about 2.7%. McDonald's does better at 6-8%/
That means $190,000 for the average franchise.
The typical dentist office nets 14.9%

Automation is a far as it's going to get until someone teaches a machine to think.

According to the company that makes it, the burger maker robot won't make burgers.

Mechanic, no way.

IT Support: That's a good one. With wireless offices I can see less jobs in installation, but fixing a problem requires diagnosis, which requires the human brain.

Janitor: No way

Store Manager/Customer Service Rep: No way. There are machine that will assist the human, but will not replace them.

McDonalds will pay their employees more. The profit in fast food is huge, now they have to share...Boo Hoo!
Restaurant profit margin is about 2.7%. McDonald's does better at 6-8%/
That means $190,000 for the average franchise.
The typical dentist office nets 14.9%

Link.

Some people pay a lot of money to develop skills in college, other people can work for less as part of the cost of their ' education' in the real world. Ive had to do it myself and never bitched about it.

Guy, we have pilots and adjunct professors who can't make ends meet. The notion that you just need to get the skills, and the one percenters will stop screwing you is delusional.
Speaking as an adjunct professor, you haven't much of a clue whether we can make ends meet, or not. All things considered, I make about $35/hr as an adjunct. Consider also, that simply acquiring a college degree, or some certificate are worthless enterprises unless one applies said skills, education, or training. Too many young people recently having completed the requisite public schooling are of the opinion that just sucking oxygen out of the same space as a professor entitles them to 4.0 GPA and that they should earn something in the $50,000-$100,000 range upon completion of whatever university training they endure. I'm just glad I teach technical skills and am not forced to grade their writing skills. Most "graduates" of the public school system are functionally illiterate.

And they will have fewer customers.

Why, because that Big Mac might cost you an extra quarter?

I don't eat fast food very often. The type of people they would be unemploying do however. Unemployed customers bad for business.
Not as long as fast food places can accept food stamps, SNAP, etc.
Fast Food Chains Getting Into the Food Stamp Act - ABC News

Some people pay a lot of money to develop skills in college, other people can work for less as part of the cost of their ' education' in the real world. Ive had to do it myself and never bitched about it.

Guy, we have pilots and adjunct professors who can't make ends meet. The notion that you just need to get the skills, and the one percenters will stop screwing you is delusional.

Low minimum wages, give kids who know absolutely nothing a chance to be hired, and learn. If you force them to make 15 dollars an hour, they will get passed up for a harder working Mexican or guatemalan because a employer will most likeley think twice. Now who is screwing who? well, yes, its the one Percenters in Washington. The more they spread fairness, the higher the body count goes up.

I couldn't of said it better

The public thinks the average company makes a 36 profit margin which is about 5X too high - AEI Carpe Diem Blog AEIdeas

Which proves ol mighty one percenter wrong as usual again

He is wrong about restaurant profit percentages.

He is wrong about automation

He is wrong about business in general

What do you want to bet that he'll say his is bigger than mine!

Hey Quasimodo,

You dare to post a neoconservative blog to discredit me? That's way to easy. Neoconservative 'truths' are nothing but faith related, no substance.

Let's take Walmart.

Walmart, like all large business is multiple tiered. You have Walmart Stores, inc./Sams Club, which is publicly held. Then procurement, logistics, and transportation which are all taking profit and are privately held by the Walmart seven. So saying that Walmart takes only 3.5% net cash is a quarter-truth, because he didn't include the entire company.

Then, since he hasn't read a paper in the last three years, didn't mention that Walmart is on a stock buy-back program.

The family that owns Wal-Mart may be selling 15.6 billion in stock shares - Business Insider

How much revenue do you think Walmart spent last year to do that? Wouldn't that have an effect on net?

I love 'finance investments in charity.' Can you spell 'tax deduction.'

I used to have that belief, but with the recently paid protesting going on demanding $15 an hour for a job that does not require much of a skill set, I have changed my mind. For goodness sakes, the registers even figure the change for the cashier. One doesn't even have to know basic math. Which many don't, unfortunately. If they did, they might actually be able to move up to higher paying positions. How could anyone handle their finances with more money if they can't even make change?

What does 'skill set' have to do with making the employer all of their profits? Employers create the platform and direct, employees make all of the profit.

If an employee can't 'make change', that's the employers fault through lack of training.

It's a lack of education, I would hire them to begin with.

Some retailers are just automation fail.

The local CVS didn't even bother to renovate, so you have three empty checkouts with no one in them 24/7, and machines in a corner of the store.

There is just one employee that stands around, and is meant to show customers how to use the machines.

You obviously can't get prescriptions from there, as there is no one at a counter to provide them to you.

To be fair this is just an inner-city store, and there is a fully functional CVS near a Supermarket where I am at.

I used to have that belief, but with the recently paid protesting going on demanding $15 an hour for a job that does not require much of a skill set, I have changed my mind. For goodness sakes, the registers even figure the change for the cashier. One doesn't even have to know basic math. Which many don't, unfortunately. If they did, they might actually be able to move up to higher paying positions. How could anyone handle their finances with more money if they can't even make change?

What does 'skill set' have to do with making the employer all of their profits? Employers create the platform and direct, employees make all of the profit.

If an employee can't 'make change', that's the employers fault through lack of training.

A lack of education because Republicans have been gutting public education?

A lack of education because Republicans have been gutting public education?

More lies from the liar. The US pays some of the highest per capita on education and yet receive middle of the road results. Keep spewing the lies. Please tell us what your utopia company does to educate all. Let's see, you have an extensive training program that teaches the three Rs and your company pays for all of it, if they decide to go into any field you pay for it all and by virtue of all things great and small you produce doctorates to all employees and pay them all 1 million a year and still have profits that go through the roof.

They can be programed to react to variables.

If it were that easy we'd not have to drive our cars.

That is almost here, of course you being in a cutting edge business, you would know that...oops, I forgot you lied.

Self-driving cars have been in research for more than two decades and they continue to run into stuff. No time soon will they be available.

Within the decade.

Forum List

Back