$15 Minimum Wage Is Speeding Up the ERA of Automation

GHook93

Aristotle
Apr 22, 2007
Chicago
First they will replace the cashiers. This won't be difficult
Protesters Aren t Going to Like How McDonald s is Reacting to Their Minimum Wage Concerns

Next they will get rid of the cooks. This was built in 2010, but I think $15 a hour will get it into play.
Burger Robot Poised to Disrupt Fast Food Industry - Singularity HUBSingularity HUB

Many Janitorial Jobs will be taken over by machines also.

So what jobs will be left:
(1) Loader of the Food into the burger maker. This could get automated also, but I think it will require a human.
(2) Machine Mechanic: Only 1-3 per location would probably be necessary. It would be a high pay position at least.
(3) IT Support: Ditto
(4) Janitor: I don't think a robot could do it all.
(5) Store Manager/Customer Service Rep: I could see a few working there.

Bottomline there will be far fewer workers in the fast food industry!

Protesters Aren t Going to Like How McDonald s is Reacting to Their Minimum Wage Concerns

Next they will get rid of the cooks. This was built in 2010, but I think $15 a hour will get it into play.
Burger Robot Poised to Disrupt Fast Food Industry - Singularity HUBSingularity HUB

(1) Loader of the Food into the burger maker. This could get automated also, but I think it will require a human.
(2) Machine Mechanic: Only 1-3 per location would probably be necessary. It would be a high pay position at least.

They tried it out here a few years back. Didn't work very well. Maybe they've worked out the bugs but the #1 issue was cash customers...and the line behind people trying to get a $1 to feed properly.

Most locations are drastically understaffed to start with...

No change is coming.

This is sort of why I'm not a Republican anymore. That you would begrudge people a living wage to a point where you'd spend a shitload of money on a machine that would be less reliable than a person is just crazy, but it shows the anger and stupidity of the Conservative Stockholm Syndrome.

Hey, here's the thing. So those poor people won't have jobs. Will they

a) Dutifully starve their families to death so the rich have a place to ride their Dressage Horses

or

b) Vote for Democrats who will create a bunch of government jobs and benefits so they can feed their families.

You see, if you Wingnuts had a fucking brain, you'd be getting behind a living wage, because when people are earning their own money, they really won't like the government taking it from them.

But if they are earning not enough to get by and have to get Medicaid, Section 8 and Food stamps, you've made them a Democrat for life.

I've notice a number of retailers outting in self serve check outs here in the last 6 months. People are using them and for every 4 that go in, it looks like they are replacing around 6 people. Good going, guys!

I've notice a number of retailers outting in self serve check outs here in the last 6 months. People are using them and for every 4 that go in, it looks like they are replacing around 6 people. Good going, guys!
I've preferred using human cashiers to the automated versions, mostly because I realize that such machines can (and will) replace the check-out clerks. Unfortunately, there are factions about who fail to understand that businesses are not charities. People who start and run businesses are in business for one primary purpose...make money. If government mandates are issued that force business owners to become charities, many will cease to exist, many others will find another way to cut costs and make money. Rather than discouraging business, truly concerned persons would be finding ways to encourage them to be brought into existence, or to have companies bring jobs back to the US.

I used to have that belief, but with the recently paid protesting going on demanding $15 an hour for a job that does not require much of a skill set, I have changed my mind. For goodness sakes, the registers even figure the change for the cashier. One doesn't even have to know basic math. Which many don't, unfortunately. If they did, they might actually be able to move up to higher paying positions. How could anyone handle their finances with more money if they can't even make change?
I've preferred using human cashiers to the automated versions, mostly because I realize that such machines can (and will) replace the check-out clerks. Unfortunately, there are factions about who fail to understand that businesses are not charities. People who start and run businesses are in business for one primary purpose...make money. If government mandates are issued that force business owners to become charities, many will cease to exist, many others will find another way to cut costs and make money. Rather than discouraging business, truly concerned persons would be finding ways to encourage them to be brought into existence, or to have companies bring jobs back to the US.

They tried it out here a few years back. Didn't work very well. Maybe they've worked out the bugs but the #1 issue was cash customers...and the line behind people trying to get a $1 to feed properly.

No change is coming.

True, but most technology starts out this way and then the bugs gets worked out and the system runs in a functional manner.

No change is coming.

True, but most technology starts out this way and then the bugs gets worked out and the system runs in a functional manner.

True.

What has always gotten me to shake my head was when you go to some retailers, they have these automatic check-stands. Now the whole thing is based on watching the television and doing what it tells you. Somehow, America who has a society based on watching television appear totally stumped when faced with watching television in a store and following simple rules.

Anyway, NPR's Planet Money did a story about this. Those working at Chili's, Applebees, and Panera needn't worry too much.

Kinda funny about the reason people like going to Chik Fil A;...the experience is much better than that of McDonalds partly because they train their employees. Now it appears they may be willing to give up that edge.

This is sort of why I'm not a Republican anymore. That you would begrudge people a living wage to a point where you'd spend a shitload of money on a machine that would be less reliable than a person is just crazy, but it shows the anger and stupidity of the Conservative Stockholm Syndrome.

a) Dutifully starve their families to death so the rich have a place to ride their Dressage Horses

or

b) Vote for Democrats who will create a bunch of government jobs and benefits so they can feed their families.

You see, if you Wingnuts had a fucking brain, you'd be getting behind a living wage, because when people are earning their own money, they really won't like the government taking it from them.

But if they are earning not enough to get by and have to get Medicaid, Section 8 and Food stamps, you've made them a Democrat for life.

I didn't agree with it and automation scares the hell out of me. Look at manufacturing. We are in the mist of an reshoring boom from the 3rd world but that has NOT equated to a boom in manufacturing jobs. The prime reason for the reshoring boom is the exact reason their isn't a boom in manufacturing jobs - automation. US manufacturing automation (like German automation) is more efficient, effective and cheaper than human labor in the 3rd world. Yet automation doesn't require all the workers that previous manufacturing generations required.

Reshoring Will Continue as U.S. Manufacturing Booms in 2015 Reshoring Initiative

Yes is scares me. Will automation stop at unskilled labor and manufacturing? I do think so. Accounting is already getting nipped into, I could see it one day being replaced by automation. Investment banking? Without a doubt. Pilots and chauffeurs? Will happen before 2020. Doctors and Dentist? To some degree I think both will be severely diminished! Pharmacists? I am surprised they are not already gone. Lawyers? Yep.

It scares me to think what will be left for a much larger population.

I used to have that belief, but with the recently paid protesting going on demanding $15 an hour for a job that does not require much of a skill set, I have changed my mind. For goodness sakes, the registers even figure the change for the cashier. One doesn't even have to know basic math. Which many don't, unfortunately. If they did, they might actually be able to move up to higher paying positions. How could anyone handle their finances with more money if they can't even make change?
I agree that I have been re-thinking my position on this, too. If it's a matter of entry-level employment opportunities for unskilled workers, that's one thing. But when I am faced with even greater price increases because a "living wage" is demanded, well...I just cannot afford those wages. Oh, when you think about it, all of us who have worked to increase, improve, or acquire marketable skills, we will be taking a de-facto pay cut. Employers will certainly not be able to provide commensurate increases for those of us who do give a hoot about self-improvement through education and training.

No change is coming.

Bugs get worked out lots faster when there is a reason to do so.

Cool, bring it on. But just remember, you'll still have to deal with the poor and unemployed masses. They won't be magically disappearing. The 'Bot-Revolution' mat not be what it's cracked up to be.

They'll automate even at the current wage.

What was the minimum wage when the self-service gas pump came along?

So I guess if a machine can do the job at the equivalent of a dollar an hour,

American workers will be expected to work for 99 cents.

And conservatives couldn't be happier.

They'll automate even at the current wage.

What was the minimum wage when the self-service gas pump came along?

Spot On. They've been working on it for many years. It's all about the greed. Always has been, always will be.

So I guess if a machine can do the job at the equivalent of a dollar an hour,

American workers will be expected to work for 99 cents.

And conservatives couldn't be happier.

Yeah, i'll never get them rooting for Americans to make less money and be unemployed. Their hateful greed has driven them mad. More Americans poor and unemployed will not be a good thing.

They won't just magically disappear. They'll still be here and will have to be dealt with. There's a whole lotta flaws in their Robot-Revolution fantasy.

Automation is a far as it's going to get until someone teaches a machine to think.

According to the company that makes it, the burger maker robot won't make burgers.

Mechanic, no way.

IT Support: That's a good one. With wireless offices I can see less jobs in installation, but fixing a problem requires diagnosis, which requires the human brain.

Janitor: No way

Store Manager/Customer Service Rep: No way. There are machine that will assist the human, but will not replace them.

McDonalds will pay their employees more. The profit in fast food is huge, now they have to share...Boo Hoo!

I'm an American, I don't use self-service checkouts. Self-service is an oxymoron, promoted by a talk show host that is taking Oxy, who's listener base is morons.

or

Yeah because only republicans make stuff like this..........

or

very small businesses wont be able to automate, many of them will also have to cut their employees and maybe not survive, but its not because they are greedy republicans.

its costly to run a business above and beyond the 8 , 10, or 15 dollar wage, there are often other costs associated with each employee. In some businesses, there is a big learning curve and some employees actually cost there employers money when they Fuck jobs up. especially in manufacturing. Lesser pay until they get better at what they do is warranted. its better than losing your job, or not getting the job at all.

Some people pay a lot of money to develop skills in college, other people can work for less as part of the cost of their ' education' in the real world. Ive had to do it myself and never bitched about it.

Forum List

Back