$15 Minimum Wage Is Speeding Up the ERA of Automation

Automation is a far as it's going to get until someone teaches a machine to think.

According to the company that makes it, the burger maker robot won't make burgers.

Mechanic, no way.

IT Support: That's a good one. With wireless offices I can see less jobs in installation, but fixing a problem requires diagnosis, which requires the human brain.

Janitor: No way

Store Manager/Customer Service Rep: No way. There are machine that will assist the human, but will not replace them.

McDonalds will pay their employees more. The profit in fast food is huge, now they have to share...Boo Hoo!
now I know you are a lying moron, you have a link that the profit in fast food is huge? I do blow hard but I wait for you to prove it

Their margins are enough that the industry is profitable in all the states where the state minimum wage exceeds the federal minimum wage.

For example, the minimum wage in Washington state is $9.47. That's 30% above the federal minimum wage.

Is the fast food industry gone from WA? Did they all go bankrupt?
Automation is a far as it's going to get until someone teaches a machine to think.

According to the company that makes it, the burger maker robot won't make burgers.

Mechanic, no way.

IT Support: That's a good one. With wireless offices I can see less jobs in installation, but fixing a problem requires diagnosis, which requires the human brain.

Janitor: No way

Store Manager/Customer Service Rep: No way. There are machine that will assist the human, but will not replace them.

McDonalds will pay their employees more. The profit in fast food is huge, now they have to share...Boo Hoo!
now I know you are a lying moron, you have a link that the profit in fast food is huge? I do blow hard but I wait for you to prove it

Their margins are enough that the industry is profitable in all the states where the state minimum wage exceeds the federal minimum wage.

For example, the minimum wage in Washington state is $9.47. That's 30% above the federal minimum wage.

that's not the question I asked one dumbo lier.

It was the point of your question.
No it wasn't one dumbo says their is a huge profit in fast food and we know it is false, it is only around 1~6% their is exceptions at high end restaurants, but not the local McDonald's, dennys, Applebee

MacDonald Corp. profit margin is close to 14%.

No it wasn't one dumbo says their is a huge profit in fast food and we know it is false, it is only around 1~6% their is exceptions at high end restaurants, but not the local McDonald's, dennys, Applebee

I said local, you already know they only own 10% of the stores and you do know the franchise fee alone is $250,000

I said local, you already know they only own 10% of the stores and you do know the franchise fee alone is $250,000

Well then Mac Corp can afford to lower its franchise fees.

Correction McDonald's changed it, just looked it up, the new franchise fee is $45,000 plus 4% monthly cash register receipts

Sorry for the mistake, my friend wanted one 10 years ago, instead he opened a subway

Who would that be? Seems you must listen to her/him since you know what they are discussing.

By the way, after expenses, each Walmart employee brings in only around $1.60 per hour worked, or an average of $48 per week for a 30 hour per week employee with their US operations.
I've notice a number of retailers outting in self serve check outs here in the last 6 months. People are using them and for every 4 that go in, it looks like they are replacing around 6 people. Good going, guys!

I'm an American, I don't use self-service checkouts. Self-service is an oxymoron, promoted by a talk show host that is taking Oxy, who's listener base is morons.
I've notice a number of retailers outting in self serve check outs here in the last 6 months. People are using them and for every 4 that go in, it looks like they are replacing around 6 people. Good going, guys!

I'm an American, I don't use self-service checkouts. Self-service is an oxymoron, promoted by a talk show host that is taking Oxy, who's listener base is morons.

And Walmart is raising its own minimum wage paid to well above the federal minimum wage,

so contrary to the propaganda, they can certainly afford to.

Who would that be? Seems you must listen to her/him since you know what they are discussing.

By the way, after expenses, each Walmart employee brings in only around $1.60 per hour worked, or an average of $48 per week for a 30 hour per week employee with their US operations.

And Walmart is raising its own minimum wage paid to well above the federal minimum wage,

so contrary to the propaganda, they can certainly afford to.
please give us a link when any one said propaganda that Wal-Mart couldn't afford to? Hell if you look at the profit margin of Wal-Mart they could afford to raise it up right now to at least $16 bucks an hour and still have good profit.

But why do you get to decide?

P.s. you do know Wal-Mart owns all of it's stores right? 100% not like McDonald's and all the big chains that I am aware of

Last edited:
I used to have that belief, but with the recently paid protesting going on demanding $15 an hour for a job that does not require much of a skill set, I have changed my mind. For goodness sakes, the registers even figure the change for the cashier. One doesn't even have to know basic math. Which many don't, unfortunately. If they did, they might actually be able to move up to higher paying positions. How could anyone handle their finances with more money if they can't even make change?

What does 'skill set' have to do with making the employer all of their profits? Employers create the platform and direct, employees make all of the profit.

If an employee can't 'make change', that's the employers fault through lack of training.

You have a lot of learn about how the world works young man.

It's quite a trick to argue that a higher minimum wage has been causing automation when in fact the minimum wage adjusted for inflation has FALLEN for 45 years.

No sir, that is not the argument. Automation is has been increasing because technology has been increasing. If programed and set up correctly, then machines will do that job better than humans. However, the process of replacing humans in certain industries was not really contemplated, but a $15 a hour minimum wage will make it a reality.

True, but most technology starts out this way and then the bugs gets worked out and the system runs in a functional manner.

But usually that takes decades, if it's ever done.

For the most part we are currently in front of technology.

Examples:

1) Dodge and their incredibly unreliable computers that run everything in their cars including the horn.

2) Ford and their blue-shit engines which have carbon buildup problems that Ford has no fix.

3) Cable companies delivering what they promise.

You really aren't that bright.

More like:
(1) The Computer:
Then:
1344882061_the-worlds-first-computer.jpg

Now:
air-scene0-left-shadow

(2) The cell phone:
Then
images

Now:
upload_2015-5-28_9-53-18.jpeg

(3) Airplane
Then:

upload_2015-5-28_9-54-11.jpeg

Now:
upload_2015-5-28_9-58-26.jpeg

Even some green energy have succeed:
Then:
images

Now:
upload_2015-5-28_10-0-57.jpeg

First they will replace the cashiers. This won't be difficult
Protesters Aren t Going to Like How McDonald s is Reacting to Their Minimum Wage Concerns

Next they will get rid of the cooks. This was built in 2010, but I think $15 a hour will get it into play.
Burger Robot Poised to Disrupt Fast Food Industry - Singularity HUBSingularity HUB

Many Janitorial Jobs will be taken over by machines also.

So what jobs will be left:
(1) Loader of the Food into the burger maker. This could get automated also, but I think it will require a human.
(2) Machine Mechanic: Only 1-3 per location would probably be necessary. It would be a high pay position at least.
(3) IT Support: Ditto
(4) Janitor: I don't think a robot could do it all.
(5) Store Manager/Customer Service Rep: I could see a few working there.

Bottomline there will be far fewer workers in the fast food industry!

And they will have fewer customers.

First they will replace the cashiers. This won't be difficult
Protesters Aren t Going to Like How McDonald s is Reacting to Their Minimum Wage Concerns

Next they will get rid of the cooks. This was built in 2010, but I think $15 a hour will get it into play.
Burger Robot Poised to Disrupt Fast Food Industry - Singularity HUBSingularity HUB

Many Janitorial Jobs will be taken over by machines also.

So what jobs will be left:
(1) Loader of the Food into the burger maker. This could get automated also, but I think it will require a human.
(2) Machine Mechanic: Only 1-3 per location would probably be necessary. It would be a high pay position at least.
(3) IT Support: Ditto
(4) Janitor: I don't think a robot could do it all.
(5) Store Manager/Customer Service Rep: I could see a few working there.

Bottomline there will be far fewer workers in the fast food industry!

And they will have fewer customers.

Why, because that Big Mac might cost you an extra quarter?

Would you invest $750k to $2M+ for a 1% to 6% return? The target net for any restaurant is 20%, not including paychecks and ancillary (company car/vacation home etc.) benefits for principals.

And when the people are replaced(which was going to happen no matter what the wage was, min wage increase has ZERO to do with it), there will be less money for people to spend so they won't eat fast food as much. Fast food industry going down wouldn't bother me one bit. Perhaps people would cook and eat more healthy so we wouldn't have to pay high premiums to support the lazy fat stupid people who eat fast food.

People aren't going to be replaced. AGAIN, we don't have the technology to do that, not today, not tomorrow, not in your great-great Grand kids lifetime.

Correction McDonald's changed it, just looked it up, the new franchise fee is $45,000 plus 4% monthly cash register receipts

Sorry for the mistake, my friend wanted one 10 years ago, instead he opened a subway

Subway is as bad as McDonalds. Ask your friend how he gets restocked with product.

please give us a link when any one said propaganda that Wal-Mart couldn't afford to? Hell if you look at the profit margin of Wal-Mart they could afford to raise it up right now to at least $16 bucks an hour and still have good profit.

But why do you get to decide?

P.s. you do know Wal-Mart owns all of it's stores right? 100% not like McDonald's and all the big chains that I am aware of

No, but like franchise companies they have four-tier profit.

No sir, that is not the argument. Automation is has been increasing because technology has been increasing. If programed and set up correctly, then machines will do that job better than humans. However, the process of replacing humans in certain industries was not really contemplated, but a $15 a hour minimum wage will make it a reality.

Machines will need to think before that occurs. Not something that will occur in the next 100+ years.

Forum List

Back