Zero-bail policy takes effect in Los Angeles County, ending traditional cash system

Dont Taz Me Bro

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 17, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
I was initially a supporter of zero bail only because I knew someone who several years back was falsely accused of a crime, arrested, and spent the night in jail. He didn't have a lot of money at the time, but he was fortunate enough to have middle class parents he could call the next morning who were able to post his bail. There are a lot of lower income people out there, however, who don't have that option. Had he not had that option, he would have sat in jail for three months until his trial date at which the ADA dropped the case against him anyway because she said the witness was unreliable. Despite that, he still had to pay his parents back for posting the bail, not to mention the attorney's fees, so he was out $5k over a false accusation.

We have a justice system for the wealthy and the poor get jammed up in the system all the time, so I thought the idea of zero bail had merit because it allowed everyone to be on even footing. However, New York went through with this experiment and it's been a monumental disaster. Petty crime skyrocketed in the aftermath and dangerous people are routinely let out on the streets and Los Angeles will be no different. We went from one extreme to the other, but I still think some reform needs to be made so those who are disadvantaged don't get caught up in the system. There has to be a happy medium somewhere.

I was initially a supporter of zero bail only because I knew someone who several years back was falsely accused of a crime, arrested, and spent the night in jail. He didn't have a lot of money at the time, but he was fortunate enough to have middle class parents he could call the next morning who were able to post his bail. There are a lot of lower income people out there, however, who don't have that option. Had he not had that option, he would have sat in jail for three months until his trial date at which the ADA dropped the case against him anyway because she said the witness was unreliable. Despite that, he still had to pay his parents back for posting the bail, not to mention the attorney's fees, so he was out $5k over a false accusation.

We have a justice system for the wealthy and the poor get jammed up in the system all the time, so I thought the idea of zero bail had merit because it allowed everyone to be on even footing. However, New York went through with this experiment and it's been a monumental disaster. Petty crime skyrocketed in the aftermath and dangerous people are routinely let out on the streets and Los Angeles will be no different. We went from one extreme to the other, but I still think some reform needs to be made so those who are disadvantaged don't get caught up in the system. There has to be a happy medium somewhere.

Did he ever think that the reason he needed bail is because he was breaking the law?
My brother spent 8 years in prison.....and to be honest, every convict in the pen will tell you they were innocent.

Lib judges are already doing the Zero-Cash bail thing in Pennsylvania, even though its not a state law here.

A lib judge in the Pitts let some fellow from out of town who was pinched with 9 keys of fentenyl off on zero cash bail.

They like that because it saves them the work of having to have a trial when the defendant absconds.

The Nightmare is just beginning. Constant Criminals will be let out in the street to repeat crimes. There is something to be said for "innocent people in prison" I don't think it's that common. I think its mostly guilty people getting caught and put in prison.

The Nightmare is just beginning. Constant Criminals will be let out in the street to repeat crimes. There is something to be said for "innocent people in prison" I don't think it's that common. I think its mostly guilty people getting caught and put in prison.
I'd say about 65% of the time it is.

Anyone can get hammered at any time for breaking laws.

Meh....

cool.jpg

Such circumstances depend on the scenario and should be judged on a case by case basis. For instance, as much as my wife assaulted me for years, sometimes very violently; she didn't really pose a threat to society at large, just to me. That's quite different from a career criminal who goes down the street searching for a victim to murder. Both circumstances should carry different bail rules.

Last edited:

In 2021 the CA Supreme Court ruled that detaining someone for a long period before a trial was unjust. Many are held for 1 to 3 years without seeing a judge at all. That sucks. Especially if it was a misdemeanor and the defendant can't afford bail, let alone an attorney.
That's what happens when too many are arrested, overcrowded jails, shitloads of cases, and not enough judges or judges that have too many excuses not to stick to their calendar. The costs to hold a prisoner is outrageous. Such a conundrum.

In 2021 the CA Supreme Court ruled that detaining someone for a long period before a trial was unjust. Many are held for 1 to 3 years without seeing a judge at all. That sucks. Especially if it was a misdemeanor and the defendant can't afford bail, let alone an attorney.
That's what happens when too many are arrested, overcrowded jails, shitloads of cases, and not enough judges or judges that have too many excuses not to stick to their calendar. The costs to hold a prisoner is outrageous. Such a conundrum.
If someone is sitting a year waiting for a trial, doesn't that go against your 14th Amendment or whichever number it is?. Furthermore, not even found GUILTY! That is a problem in Ontario also, our corrupt Police State has bankrupted us and destroyed Canadas reputation.

If someone is sitting a year waiting for a trial, doesn't that go against your 14th Amendment or whichever number it is?. Furthermore, not even found GUILTY! That is a problem in Ontario also, our corrupt Police State has bankrupted us and destroyed Canadas reputation.
Most of the counties in CA get their felony trials cleared and resolved within a year. 80% is the statewide average, while counties such as San Francisco were ran at a meager 40%. Because of a DA change there, the cases were brought up to speed then cleared and prisoners were (and are) released for time served. But still, the career offenders are the problem, IMO, and most of them are MI and unemployed/unemployable, use drugs to numb their problem and commit crime to pay for their drugs.
The result is a large percentage of MI housed in CJ, such as LA's twin towers. It is so crowded the LASD shuttle prisoners on buses from location to location daily. It's a financial burden.

I live in Riverside, CA, however,
my wife's parents live near the Inglewood area, and I have a niece that lives in Arcadia.

It's a terrible initiative.

The problem is I do think bail is a scam but at the same time, there are so many people who live in drama that they are regulars in the courthouse, not having it just encourages them to be involved in more drama. I don't have a solution unless it is "three strikes and you are back to posting a bond"

The problem is I do think bail is a scam but at the same time, there are so many people who live in drama that they are regulars in the courthouse, not having it just encourages them to be involved in more drama. I don't have a solution unless it is "three strikes and you are back to posting a bond"

Yeah, something like that could work. I would even go as far as saying that you forfeit cashless bail for any arrest after your first.

That you believe I somehow require your affirmation is a quintessential example of hubris.
You put this out there. Do you expect nobody to comment?

No-bail policies are ridiculous.....and only allow repeat-offenders to get back on the street to offend repeatedly, thus encouraging more crime to take place instead of cutting so-called innocent defendants a little slack.

That's just a stupid lie that is often repeated by cops. WTF is wrong with you? :cuckoo:

Hell, there's serial killers in the penitentiary who freely admit that they were guilty.
I'm sure you can find at least one or two exceptions.

But like an idiot, the one or two exceptions you've heard of, you think that disproves my comment.

Let me ask you, are you saying that our legal system has a habit of convicting innocent people?
Are you saying that this applies to Donald J Trump as well?

Lib judges are already doing the Zero-Cash bail thing in Pennsylvania, even though its not a state law here.

A lib judge in the Pitts let some fellow from out of town who was pinched with 9 keys of fentenyl off on zero cash bail.

They like that because it saves them the work of having to have a trial when the defendant absconds.
:rolleyes: There shouldn't be any bail required for victimless crimes. They are not some sort of danger to anyone else.

Forum List

Back