Your dream destinations

Saigon

Gold Member
May 4, 2012
Helsinki, Finland
Given the money and given the time - where in the world do you most dream of going?

Zamzibar, Mauritius, Paris or Jersualem...where would you most like to spend your next vacation?

I had always wanted to go to Paris. I'd been to a lot of other places. I finally got Paris last summer.

It exceeded expectations... which was the best part of the trip.

Paris is an incredibly beautiful city.

it really is. we stayed at a hotel opposite the tuilleries and could walk to the louvre and the champs elysee. the scale and grandeur was phenomenal. but more than anything, i'd always heard that parisians are rude... snotty... don't like americans. and we were treated so well. everywhere we went, people went out of their way to help us and try to communicate even if my french and their english were both bad.

best food, too. at one point, we found a cafe on the river just across the bridge from notre dame, and sat there having the most wonderful meal and watching people go by.

Jillian -

I LOVE Paris too - although I guess most people do!

The funny thing is that they have this reputation for being so rude. My French is terrible, but I've always got good service there, and to me they are no ruder than people in any other big city.

Jillian -

I LOVE Paris too - although I guess most people do!

The funny thing is that they have this reputation for being so rude. My French is terrible, but I've always got good service there, and to me they are no ruder than people in any other big city.

i suspect a lot of it depends on how you approach people when you're a visitor in their country.

I had a dream the other night...

... dat I was in So. Africa.

You could do a lot worse.

People tend to fixate on the crime in Jo'burg, but it really is a country of immense beauty. Amazing people, great food, and a fascinating (if turbulent) history.

I can't recommend it highly enough.

I want to go to Saudi Arabia for religious reasons. And I want to see Germany, I don't have a big thing for Europe though. But I know I'm going to Gaza this summer.

What totally astounded me when I livited Paris in 72, was the fact that it looked much like I'd imagined it would look.

Not sure it still does though. Skyscrapers exist there now that weren't there back then.

But I too, found the French to be excellent hosts.

My wife and I are currently planning an African Safari.

We want to go in the next 3 years before we turn 50.

I'm thinking it will be a month long trip

What totally astounded me when I livited Paris in 72, was the fact that it looked much like I'd imagined it would look.

Not sure it still does though. Skyscrapers exist there now that weren't there back then.

But I too, found the French to be excellent hosts.

It looked exactly like I thought it would.

Totally agree about them hosting.

I hope to go back.

My wife and I are currently planning an African Safari.

We want to go in the next 3 years before we turn 50.

I'm thinking it will be a month long trip

Wonderful idea - and in a month you have time to see a huge amount.

I always recommend Namibia (Estosha) and South Africa (Kruger) as the best places to see big animals, but with a month you could also do something like the waterland at Okavango in Botswana.

Free free to message me if you need any info.

Given the money and given the time - where in the world do you most dream of going?

Zamzibar, Mauritius, Paris or Jersualem...where would you most like to spend your next vacation?

I have already been to both, China and Egypt. I am on a medication pump and it is no longer advisable for me to go international. AND our safety is not expected off shore.
But there are still a lot of places in THIS country I've never seen, Yellowstone, Yosemite. You know, all those places that Ansel Adams found so photogenic. Also, California wine country, Bug Sur, the Rockies.

My dream destination is always Amsterdam. Love the people and the atmosphere.

It is totally unique. I'm never entirely sure what I think of it - but there is nowhere else like it at all.

My wife and I love to walk in big cities, and Ansterdam is one of our favorites, the markets, the shops, the architecture, just everything about it. I especially like going to concerts at the Club Paradiso, an excellent venue. If you are a beer drinker, having a Heineken in Amsterdam is as good as having a Guiness in Dublin. And of course, being able to legally go into a coffee shop and have a smoke just takes the cake.

Forum List

Back