Holocaust Remembrance Day

Each year there are fewer and fewer memories left of this....

It's hard to get my mind around these figures.

59427669_10156773236910283_4602008340418002944_n.png

''factories'' that produced death --efficiently/fast
very hard to imagine dozens at a time herded into the ''showers''---to be murdered
last week, I just started watching the TV series Holocaust from 1978...it's very good

Als die Nazis die Kommunisten holten,
habe ich geschwiegen;
ich war ja kein Kommunist.

Als sie die Sozialdemokraten einsperrten,
habe ich geschwiegen;
ich war ja kein Sozialdemokrat.

Als sie die Gewerkschafter holten,
habe ich nicht protestiert;
ich war ja kein Gewerkschafter.

Als sie die Juden holten,
habe ich geschwiegen;
ich war ja kein Jude.

Als sie mich holten,
gab es keinen mehr,
der protestieren konnte.

very hard to imagine dozens at a time herded into the ''showers''---to be murdered
last week, I just started watching the TV series Holocaust from 1978...it's very good

I have a hard time watching those things - that human beings can do those things to one another, and yet they still do. That is what worries me, when the last living memories die.

I have a hard time watching those things - that human beings can do those things to one another, and yet they still do. That is what worries me, when the last living memories die.
.......yes-like I said it's ''almost'' unbelievable .......and that's ''good'' that most people find murder/etc abhorrent--or else we would have big problems......
.....the gruesomeness of the rifle/MG murders is unthinkable/unwatchable also ........shooting hundreds----over and over and over ----

This year's Holocaust Remembrance Day events will take place from Wednesday evening through Thursday. Here are all the official events occurring in Israel.​

(full article online)

Jews who faced antisemitism or who lost family members in antisemitic attacks around the world will join this year’s International March of the Living in Poland, set for April 28 to coincide with Yom HaShoah, Israel’s Holocaust memorial day.

The Jewish Agency’s delegation will include Jews from the United States, Britain, France, Germany, Turkey, India and Argentina, as well as global law enforcement officials who work on tackling hate crimes, it was announced on Tuesday. The delegation will be headed by Michael Siegel, Chairman of the board of trustees of the Jewish Agency.

“It is a solemn honor to bear witness to the horrors of the past, together with a group of brave Jewish sisters and brothers from around the world who have personally born the wrath of today’s antisemitism,” said Siegel. “The Jewish Agency for Israel stands here in support of the March of the Living’s mission to honor the victims of the past, while encouraging the world to remain vigilant on behalf of the victims of the future.”

(full article online)

Pvt. Noa was inspired. The new Israel Defense Forces recruit was walking through a new Holocaust memorial and education center at the army’s largest training base, geared toward newly conscripted soldiers.

“To know that people went through all that, and still chose to immigrate to the country and serve in the army, despite everything, it’s really empowering,” she said, looking at a wall of photos showing Jewish life before the terrors of the Second World War.

This week, as the country marks Holocaust Remembrance Day, or Yom Hashoah, Israel’s national Holocaust Memorial and Museum Yad Vashem will formally open the facility at Ir Habahadim — the army’s “city” of training bases, located just south of Beersheba.

(full article online)

Holocaust survivor Yosef Hershkovitz shares his story on stage with Knesset Speaker Mickey Levy at the Knesset's first Zikaron Basalon event, in honor of Israel's Holocaust Remembrance Day, on April 26, 2022. (Noam Moskowitz/Knesset Spokesperson)
Holocaust survivor Yosef Hershkovitz shares his story on stage with Knesset Speaker Mickey Levy at the Knesset's first Zikaron Basalon event, in honor of Israel's Holocaust Remembrance Day, on April 26, 2022. (Noam Moskowitz/Knesset Spokesperson)

Dimming the lights and speaking in somber tones, the Knesset hosted a Holocaust survivor and dozens of youths for a memorial event Tuesday night, as the country prepares to mark its annual Holocaust Remembrance Day starting Wednesday night.
The event, meant to evoke intimate living room talks popularized in Israel as Zikaron BaSalon (literally parlor remembrance), featured survivor Yosef Hershkovitz, who implored the mostly young crowd to safeguard what they have, speaking from his own experiences in the Holocaust.

“Take care of this country. You don’t know what this is to have it,” Hershkovitz told the audience at what was billed as the Knesset’s first-ever Zikaron BaSalon.

(full article online)

The Arab-Israeli “Together Vouch for Each Other” organization has dispatched a delegation that will mark Yom HaShoah, in Auschwitz in a special ceremony in Arabic, the first of its kind.

The delegation left for Poland on Monday morning. On the eve of Israel’s Holocaust Remembrance Day on Wednesday night, the delegation will hold a ceremony at the Auschwitz extermination camp in Arabic, the first in history.

“It is important for us to make the memory of the Holocaust accessible to Israeli-Arab society and the Arab world,” the organization explained.

(full article online)

Forum List

Back