Would you support this gun reform bill?

I have an idea of a new gun reform bill which I feel would be a fair compromise between both sides of the issue.

The basically layout of the bill is as follows....

1; A complete ban on direct private person-to-person sales & the establishment of Firearms Brokerages.
Under this law, it would be illegal for a gun owner to sale their gun to another person. Instead, all private sales would be required to go through firearms brokerages. These would be private businesses which handle all private sales. They would handle background checks, would hold firearms during required waiting periods, etc. Brokerages would also keep records of all sales, and customers. They would have on record the name, address, and other information of any person who purchased a firearm. This information would only be made available to law enforcement or the government with a warrant signed by a judge.

This is bullshit. Where's the "fair compromise?

Other than for any warranty issues (which can be handled by the purchaser of a firearm), what would be the purpose of maintaining a database of everyone who buys a gun, and what gun they purchased?

2; A complete ban on all full auto weapons, and all attachments and modifications which allow a semi-auto weapon fire at a full auto or near full-auto rate. Possession of a functional full-auto weapon, except by military or law enforcement, or licensed private security firms would be a federal felony.

When was the last time a fully automatic weapon was used in a mass shooting?

Fully automatic weapons are currently almost impossible to get as it is, and those who go through the time and expense aren't exactly the 18 year old loaner types who are going to shoot up a grocery store...

3; A ban on public carry of all firearms which are not properly holstered. In other words, no more carrying rifles and shotguns around.

This is stupid. Just as there's a proper way to carry a handgun, so is there a proper way to carry a rifle and/or a shotgun...

And no carrying sidearms unless they are in a proper holster. Again this wouldn't apply to on-duty law enforcement, military, or licensed private security firms who are actively performing their duties.

I have a .25 caliber pistol which fits quite nicely in my front jeans pocket, and I'll continue to carry it there regardless of any law. What's the intent of the requirement to have a firearm in a "proper holster", and what, exactly, would that be?

4; Active prosecution of any state or local clerks or officials who fail to properly log mental health or criminal histories into the federal background check database. Cases of neglect, would result in misdemeanor charges. Cases where a person is found to have intentionally refused to properly report this information would result in felony charges.

Who's doing the reporting of these histories?

5; Automatic accomplice charges for all cases where a gun is knowingly sold to a criminal. What this means is that if a personally knowingly and intentionally sales a gun to a criminal, they will be automatically charged as accomplices to any crimes committed using that gun. If the criminal uses the gun to murder someone, the seller will be charged with murder.O

I don't necessarily have an issue with this...

6; No second amendment rights to any person who is a member of any organization which is designated as a terrorist group, a criminal organization, or is currently being investigated for a violent and/or gang related crime.

This is a tough one.

For shits & giggles, let's say I'm a member of MS-13 (I'm a 60 year old white guy, so it's not likely, but work with me). I renounce my membership in that gang.

What happens then?

Chicago is gun city. The Governor just made those laws last month, give it time.
-------------------------------------------------------

Illinois is a trailblazer the fight against ghost guns. President Joe Biden's Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives has focused on ghost guns since taking office, recognizing the unprecedented threat these unregulated weapons pose. President Biden's administration has taken similar steps to Illinois on the national level to reign in ghost guns, requiring serialization and reclassifying these build kits as firearms.

Because ghost guns are cheaper and easier to acquire than conventional firearms, they are more accessible to young people. Already in May of 2022, at least two Illinois teenagers were charged with possession of ghost guns, including one case where a loaded ghost gun was brought to a high school. ISP has worked on 28 cases concerning ghost guns in May of 2022 alone.
So, no then...Chicago has been among the most restrictive of 2a rights for decades, and that hasn't worked.

But, I know, if we could just do more, right?

Typical liberal response to failure of Democrat policy.

Chicago is gun city. The Governor just made those laws last month, give it time.

Illinois is a trailblazer the fight against ghost guns. President Joe Biden's Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives has focused on ghost guns since taking office, recognizing the unprecedented threat these unregulated weapons pose. President Biden's administration has taken similar steps to Illinois on the national level to reign in ghost guns, requiring serialization and reclassifying these build kits as firearms.

Because ghost guns are cheaper and easier to acquire than conventional firearms, they are more accessible to young people. Already in May of 2022, at least two Illinois teenagers were charged with possession of ghost guns, including one case where a loaded ghost gun was brought to a high school. ISP has worked on 28 cases concerning ghost guns in May of 2022 alone.
McDonald vs City of Chicago.

Know what you're talking about first.

And blacks are increasingly waking up to the fact that Dems don't give a shit about anything but their vote.
Youtube keeps showing more and more blacks showing videos of blacks saying they're not listening to demofks at or around election time because they all now see they only talk smack up to elections and then ignore them right afterward. It's getting hilarious the wake up.

Youtube keeps showing more and more blacks showing videos of blacks saying they're not listening to demofks at or around election time because they all now see they only talk smack up to elections and then ignore them right afterward. It's getting hilarious the wake up.
/----/ That's why they are importing democrat voters from Mexico.

I have an idea of a new gun reform bill which I feel would be a fair compromise between both sides of the issue.

1; A complete ban on direct private person-to-person sales & the establishment of Firearms Brokerages.
Under this law, it would be illegal for a gun owner to sale their gun to another person. Instead, all private sales would be required to go through firearms brokerages. These would be private businesses which handle all private sales. They would handle background checks, would hold firearms during required waiting periods, etc. Brokerages would also keep records of all sales, and customers. They would have on record the name, address, and other information of any person who purchased a firearm. This information would only be made available to law enforcement or the government with a warrant signed by a judge.

2; A complete ban on all full auto weapons, and all attachments and modifications which allow a semi-auto weapon fire at a full auto or near full-auto rate. Possession of a functional full-auto weapon, except by military or law enforcement, or licensed private security firms would be a federal felony.

3; A ban on public carry of all firearms which are not properly holstered. In other words, no more carrying rifles and shotguns around. And no carrying sidearms unless they are in a proper holster. Again this wouldn't apply to on-duty law enforcement, military, or licensed private security firms who are actively performing their duties.

4; Active prosecution of any state or local clerks or officials who fail to properly log mental health or criminal histories into the federal background check database. Cases of neglect, would result in misdemeanor charges. Cases where a person is found to have intentionally refused to properly report this information would result in felony charges.

5; Automatic accomplice charges for all cases where a gun is knowingly sold to a criminal. What this means is that if a personally knowingly and intentionally sales a gun to a criminal, they will be automatically charged as accomplices to any crimes committed using that gun. If the criminal uses the gun to murder someone, the seller will be charged with murder.

6; No second amendment rights to any person who is a member of any organization which is designated as a terrorist group, a criminal organization, or is currently being investigated for a violent and/or gang related crime.
SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED . Period.

3; A ban on public carry of all firearms which are not properly holstered. In other words, no more carrying rifles and shotguns around. And no carrying sidearms unless they are in a proper holster. Again this wouldn't apply to on-duty law enforcement, military, or licensed private security firms who are actively performing their duties.

5; Automatic accomplice charges for all cases where a gun is knowingly sold to a criminal. What this means is that if a personally knowingly and intentionally sales a gun to a criminal, they will be automatically charged as accomplices to any crimes committed using that gun. If the criminal uses the gun to murder someone, the seller will be charged with murder.

Nope.

1. This would be bastardized to make it illegal for one friend to share a firearm with another while hunting or target shooting.

2. Nope.

3. So once you unholster your weapon to defend yourself you are committing a crime?

4. LOL good luck getting that past the public sector unions and their dem cronies

5. That's already illegal, just called selling a firearm to a criminL

6. Who gets to decide that?

No. Amendment II
2; A complete ban on all full auto weapons, and all attachments and modifications which allow a semi-auto weapon fire at a full auto or near full-auto rate.
No. Amendment II
3; A ban on public carry of all firearms which are not properly holstered. In other words, no more carrying rifles and shotguns around.
No. Amendment II
4; Active prosecution of any state or local clerks or officials who fail to properly log mental health or criminal histories into the federal background check database.
No. Amendment X
5; Automatic accomplice charges for all cases where a gun is knowingly sold to a criminal.
We already have this at the federal level.
No. Amendment I, II, V.

A good number of mass shootings were done using guns the shooter bought legally, despite histories of mental illness and/or having felonies on their criminal record, both of which would have caused them to fail a background check. They were able to get the guns legally because their histories were not reported to the federal government and were not included in the background check system. This is either negligence on the part of the clerks who are supposed to do the reporting, or a willful and intentional choice to not file the information to be included in the background check system. Several mass shootings could have been prevented if the information had been properly reported, causing the shooters to be unable to pass the background checks.
The federal govern,ent cannot force the states to participate in the enforcement of a federal program.

The NRA is a gun manufacturing lobby, with it's leaders all owning millions of dollars in tock in those companies.
Welcome to the 1st Amendment.
They have a long history of opposing any and all refrms or laws which would negatively effect the profits of gun makers., including opposing background checks for mental illness, because crazy people tend to like to own guns.
Free speech.
I would would take any claims made by anyone associated with the NRA with a grain of salt.
What about claims made by the Brady Campaign , Moms Demand Action, Everytown for Gun Safety, and Democrats?

Those city gangsters are just gonna willfully surrender their firearms?

Forum List

Back