Would it be illegal to have a lawyer continue to mail letters you wrote before you died at pre-determined intervals after your death?

RandomPoster

Platinum Member
May 22, 2017
Imagine you were dying and you didn't want anyone to know. You pay a lawyer to mail letters you have already written at specific dates from various specified locations. You make sure no one will find your body. Then, once a year or so, your lawyer mails a letter to various people, sometimes government institutions. You give him a list of locations to mail from and they are all different. The letters and envelopes all have your fingerprints on them. Your lawyer agrees to wear gloves when he handles them, so they can not track him down. He has to leave them in post office boxes at scattered locations where there are not likely to be cameras.

This way, no one can prove you are dead and they can not collect life insurance. Could it work? If the lawyer never said you were alive, would he be breaking any law if you never specifically told him why you were doing it or what was in the letters?

I don't think there's any law against a lawyer mailing letters, but the cloak-and-dagger stuff would probably turn off most. They probably wouldn't want to risk their career sending messages where they don't know if what they contain may lead to something illegal.

Imagine you were dying and you didn't want anyone to know. You pay a lawyer to mail letters you have already written at specific dates from various specified locations. You make sure no one will find your body. Then, once a year or so, your lawyer mails a letter to various people, sometimes government institutions. You give him a list of locations to mail from and they are all different. The letters and envelopes all have your fingerprints on them. Your lawyer agrees to wear gloves when he handles them, so they can not track him down. He has to leave them in post office boxes at scattered locations where there are not likely to be cameras.

This way, no one can prove you are dead and they can not collect life insurance. Could it work? If the lawyer never said you were alive, would he be breaking any law if you never specifically told him why you were doing it or what was in the letters?
Why would you carry life insurance if you did not want it paid? It would be better to hire a better lawyer and change your will and beneficiaries in a way where contesting would fail. If it is a fraud scheme, the lawyer might have to be willing to lose his license to support it, so be prepared to pay him a lot, to make it worth is time and loss of future if caught, but I would go with my first suggestion.

Why would you carry life insurance if you did not want it paid? It would be better to hire a better lawyer and change your will and beneficiaries in a way where contesting would fail. If it is a fraud scheme, the lawyer might have to be willing to lose his license to support it, so be prepared to pay him a lot, to make it worth is time and loss of future if caught, but I would go with my first suggestion.

Can a lawyer help you invalidate any life insurance policy others may have taken out on you that you may not know about?

Can a lawyer help you invalidate any life insurance policy others may have taken out on you that you may not know about?
It ain't easy if they are made the payments and can prove an insurable interest. Had it come up. We tried. All it did was delay, but we did not push it to the limit. If you have a situation where this needs to happen, you definitely need good legal representation, not internet posters. Going to cost you some money, probably a lot.

If you have not noticed Insurance companies must have written proof that the beneficiary knows they are a beneficiary if they are spouses or family?

If you have not noticed Insurance companies must have written proof that the beneficiary knows they are a beneficiary if they are spouses or family?
I have had to counsel soldiers (National Guard troops) trying to make their beneficiary their girlfriend their primary instead of their wife of 15 or 20 years.
I was Guard, when they quit paying monthly pay by check, insisting on direct deposit. Some of it was comical as knew a few that were using the check to a mailing address for their extramarital stuff, their wife had no idea about monetarily or otherwise, yet the soldier to dumb to set up another account in a different bank. We used to pay annual training in cash, counting it out and paying it out in greenbacks. Lots of wives had no clue hubby just made thousand$.

It would be easier to cancel the life insurance.

I don't think the lawyer could evade being accused of impropriety. There is no way the lawyer cannot know that there is an intent to deceive the receivers of the mail. And so, it would probably be classified a mail fraud scheme.

It would be easier to cancel the life insurance.

What is he had already signed the life insurance policy except forgot what company it was and his spouse keeps paying the bill? I suppose he could call all the insurance companies he knows of and ask them, although that could be time consuming.

A lawyer will do pretty much anything that a client is willing to pay for.

OP did not establish the lawyer in question knew his client was dead or alive .... the lawyer only knew to mail out letters at specific times to specific people.

This way, no one can prove you are dead and they can not collect life insurance.

Until a search for a death certificate is made.

My mother left me an inheritance that I wasn't aware of until four years after her death.

A lawyer will do pretty much anything that a client is willing to pay for.

OP did not establish the lawyer in question knew his client was dead or alive .... the lawyer only knew to mail out letters at specific times to specific people.

This way, no one can prove you are dead and they can not collect life insurance.

Until a search for a death certificate is made.

My mother left me an inheritance that I wasn't aware of until four years after her death.
There would be no death certificate if you disappear and die in a way that leaves no body.

I believe it could work and could possibly present a spouse even more trouble than just being unable to collect the life insurance.

Rhonda Smith lost much more than her husband, Thomas Smith, the night
he mysteriously disappeared.

Without any knowledge as to his whereabouts, Rhonda spent more than a year
in limbo. The complete lack of explanation for his disappearance left her searching
for answers that never came.

Rhonda was also left in a difficult financial situation. During the course of their
nine-year marriage, Rhonda and Thomas acquired jointly owned property. However,
when she tried to list their home for sale to pay off accumulating bills, she discovered
she could not sell their house without her missing husband's authorization.​

This way, no one can prove you are dead and they can not collect life insurance
Obviously under a Democrat president, there's no law against putting out a contract and having someone murdered, but don't be mailing any letters if you're the target of a legitimate hit, or they'll torture you much, much worse than an instant death by gunshot.

Forum List

Back