World Economic Forum Says It Is 'Time to Look Beyond' Private Vehicle Ownership

As your reply contains no substance whatsoever, I accept your concession of the point.
It's interesting how certain conservatives can be in their inflexibility.

A kind of petrified, terrified arrogance which permits none of the flexible thinking or innovation they claim to admire - Yankee ingenuity - and which they say made this country great.

Really, that's what this thread is about.

It's about the dangers of the reactionary mind much more so than the dangers of alleged social engineering driven by elitists.

Your comments serve as concession of this point.

Alas.

:(

Inflexibility - what this thread is ACTUALLY about - is the Achilles Heel of the body conservative.

Between the fascist liberals and the reactionary conservatives, this country is in DEEP trouble...

Inflexibility - what this thread is ACTUALLY about - is the Achilles Heel of the body conservative.

Between the fascist liberals and the reactionary conservatives, this country is in DEEP trouble...

It has nothing to do with inflexibility. It has to do with an idea to make peoples life less enjoyable and present more problems. People not wanting to take a step down in life is not inflexibility.

It has nothing to do with inflexibility. It has to do with an idea to make peoples life less enjoyable and present more problems. People not wanting to take a step down in life is not inflexibility.
I think you're being reasonable, which is great. :)

But a step down?

Did you know that mass transit is safer in every way than car travel?

From fewer fatalities and injuries to much lower crime rates.

And that's not even including the health benefits of walking or biking as part of the mass transit experience.

Cars have really never made sense; they're a deadly error.

But a step down?

And that's not even including the health benefits of walking or biking as part of the mass transit experience.

And yet people accept those risks with having personal transportation. That's how important it is to us.

Cars never made sense? Going to where you want or need to go doesn't make sense? If you become ill in the middle of the night, driving yourself to the ER doesn't make sense? If you forgot you ran out of bread to make sandwiches for lunch tomorrow, driving to the convenient store doesn't make sense?

My mother used to take the bus everywhere she needed to go because everybody else was working and couldn't take her themselves. Mom can't walk a half-mile to the bus stop anymore and she has a lot of medical appointments. Now that I'm retired, I can take her wherever she needs to go. When I take her grocery shopping, she loads the trunk with about five or six bags of groceries, some of them fairly heavy. How would she be able to do that with public transportation? Taxis are an arm and a leg, and outfits like Uber greatly increased their prices as well. It doesn't make sense for her to pay a driver to do what I can do for her free.

So getting rid of personal automobiles is what doesn't make sense if you ask me.

And yet people accept those risks with having personal transportation.
Speaking of cars as just one example of personal transport, I'm not sure how many knowingly do actually.
That's how important it is to us.
Familiarity is important to some, and innovation, evolution and safety important to others.
Cars never made sense?
Correct.
Going to where you want or need to go doesn't make sense?
The belief that cars are the best way to achieve this is HIGHLY debatable.

But that cars are highly unsafe, and have cost the planet tens of millions of lives, and trillions of dollars, is a sad fact.
If you become ill in the middle of the night, driving yourself to the ER doesn't make sense?
Probably not actually.

Many things can distract drivers, rendering them at as much or more risk as were they driving drunk.

Illness is one of them.
If you forgot you ran out of bread to make sandwiches for lunch tomorrow, driving to the convenient store doesn't make sense?
Does it?

Would walking or biking be healthier, or using lettuce instead?

And don't convenience stores generally have lower quality, higher priced items?
My mother used to take the bus everywhere she needed to go because everybody else was working and couldn't take her themselves.
Good to hear. :)
Mom can't walk a half-mile to the bus stop anymore
Bad to hear - I'm sorry. :(
and she has a lot of medical appointments.
Is biking or triking an option for her?
Now that I'm retired, I can take her wherever she needs to go.
That's fine, but is it the only option for her?
When I take her grocery shopping, she loads the trunk with about five or six bags of groceries, some of them fairly heavy.
Okay.
How would she be able to do that with public transportation?
People seem to do okay using public transit in many places, or using other options. In this case, she could carpool with other seniors, utilize home delivery, or use Lyft or Uber.
Taxis are an arm and a leg,
Yeah - bad option.
and outfits like Uber greatly increased their prices as well.
Assuming she lives in a locale somewhat proximate to a grocery store she likes, Lyft or Uber or other options - including those above - might make sense for her.

She could also make an extra trip here and there to reduce the amount of material she purchases on her outings, and thus the bulk/weight.
It doesn't make sense for her to pay a driver to do what I can do for her free.
It may or may not; see above for some thoughts.
So getting rid of personal automobiles is what doesn't make sense if you ask me.
Well, mandating that could be a tough adjustment for some, but with streetcars for instance (as in L.A. before corporate conspiracy and greed artificially imposed the insane conveyance known as the automobile upon everyone) this was MUCH less of an issue.

You just hate people having the freedom to go where they want, when they want, as they want.
^ Bizarre/derailing/hostile/trolling/fallacious/baseless speculation.

And as your reply contains no substance whatsoever, I accept your concession of my points.

:)

Cars have killed tens of millions, and squandered trillions of dollars.

An utter disaster.

But a step down?

Mass Transit only works in densely populated areas.

I for one will never live in a densely populated area because that comes with its own health risks

You do realize you're demonstrating the exact same trait you claim the conservatives have right?

It's nothing but "conservatives are wrong for reasons 1, 2, 3" repeating the same thing over and over again never demonstrating an original or alternative thought, it's always beating the same drum in the same cadence.

You always display the same unwavering rhetoric, never conceding someone else has a valid point and using run around wording.

I'll admit I am a conservative because that's the kind of blue collar area I grew up in. But I can also admit my side isn't always right, no one is because there are very few absolutes in the world.

The belief that cars are the best way to achieve this is HIGHLY debatable.

But that cars are highly unsafe, and have cost the planet tens of millions of lives, and trillions of dollars, is a sad fact.

So does swimming, but we don't outlaw people going into the lake, ocean or swimming pool. It's not the job of society or government to make safety decisions on your behalf. It's global warming up north, we have motorcycle accidents and deaths every week. We don't outlaw them.

Does it?

Would walking or biking be healthier, or using lettuce instead?

And don't convenience stores generally have lower quality, higher priced items?

Nobody is going to the grocery store at 10:30 pm to get a loaf of bread, and you can't substitute lettuce for bread or buns.

Is biking or triking an option for her?

No, my 87 year old mother can't ride a bike. She lives in an area with streets and sidewalks that are hills. She's fortunate enough to still be able to do some yard work with a lot of breaks. Even then I still fear for her safety. Global warming doesn't last long up north. It will be 92 degrees today with high humidity, and it could be snowing in two months from today.

That's fine, but is it the only option for her?

Yep.

People seem to do okay using public transit in many places, or using other options. In this case, she could carpool with other seniors, utilize home delivery, or use Lyft or Uber.

How is she going to car pool when she doesn't drive to take her turn? Why would my mother on social security pay hundreds of dollars a month for taxis or Uber when she has a son that can take here anywhere for free? That would be completely stupid.

Well, mandating that could be a tough adjustment for some, but with streetcars for instance (as in L.A. before corporate conspiracy and greed artificially imposed the insane conveyance known as the automobile upon everyone) this was MUCH less of an issue.

Nobody conspired to do anything. People abandoned street cars and buses for the convenience and safety of personal transportation. I don't have to make plans, look up bus routes, stand in freezing cold weather to get to my doctors appointment. I remote start my car about ten minutes before I leave, and at the hospital in 15 minutes. Given I don't know how long my appointment is going to take, it doesn't matter when you drive there. Whenever they let you out, you just hop back into your car and drive home yourself.

You see most people don't believe in this climate change bullshit. Life is too short. You only have so many days, months and years. Why waste that time waiting for buses or street cars? Maybe you don't have anything important to do with your time, but many of us do. If I or my mother have a series of things to get done, neither of us wants to spend the entire day trying to do them, looking up bus routes, changing buses, standing at a bus stop for an hour, paying ridiculous prices for rides like Uber. I can take my mother grocery shopping, to the bank, to the drug store, and back home in less than three or four hours.

Mass Transit only works in densely populated areas.
Alternate ideas about transit, including forms of mass transit, can work anywhere.

Flexibility is the key; being open to new ideas & considering them rationally is a good thing.
I for one will never live in a densely populated area because that comes with its own health risks
Life is risky, and it's nice to have choices. :)

Another example of how you cannot meaningfully respond to my posts.
^ More non-responsive trolling. Ironic.

Every 6 years, as many people die in cars as Hitler murdered in the Holocaust.

And that's direct deaths, and doesn't take the collateral damage caused by the automobile into account.

Cars = A tragic calamity

Forum List

Back