World Economic Forum Says It Is 'Time to Look Beyond' Private Vehicle Ownership

Generally a great thing.
Feel free to not enjoy it.
The same to you.
Don't presume to force your choice on others.
The irrational fear of this occurring as the basis for resisting flexible thinking and optimal paths forward?

Genuinely tragic.

But there have always been people certain that their truths were eternal, and their fears justified.

How many millions of innocents have died because of such inflexibility?

How many burned or hung because their epilepsy was mistaken for possession by Satan?

There's a rational path forward, and it's car-free.

:)

While there's no cringing desire to force it on others, there's something groovy about owning the solar panels on your vehicle, a la Aptera, that also serve as the structure of the body of the vehicle. No one promised that your ego would emerge unscathed in this debate.
Love it. :)

Flexible thinking/action = Awesome

But such flexibility is only for the strong of mind and spirit.

But the Prisoners' love for cell phones was enhanced and accelerated by the American capitalist gestapo's theft of phone booths, which not only (a la catholicism) got them to genuflect into the screen in the palm of their hand, phone booths were also the symbol of democracy, the very tool of a vibrant democracy.
^ Love.

:)

Like public transportation, people found a better and more convenient way in life. It's all consumer demand. You didn't need government subsidies for personal vehicles just like you didn't need subsidies for cell phones or big screens because these are things the public wanted. Subsidies are used for things people don't want like windmills, solar panels (made in China) and electric cars.
People were propagandized, plain and simple.

And this is often - as with cars - concurrent with criminal conspiracy against the optimal good.

And nobody cares about green cars which is why they need to be subsidized. You have a small group of people that think they're saving the planet that buy them in favorable weather areas, but outside of that, nobody wants them. They are too expensive, have no resale value because the batteries are so expensive to replace, and from what I read, you have to get your electrical service retrofitted to charge them. Who wants all that? Get a real car and save yourself a lot of money.
Some (mostly) great points.

And green cars ain't green of course, and have all the other deadly problems of cars.

It's lipstick on a Nazi.

The globalists will have what is left of the peasants eating plant-based foods if lucky, seaweed and insects. And bottom feeders who are uplifted like Stacy Abrams will be at the table with fresh meats and seafood and the best desserts and expensive liquors and champagnes. And the suckers who vote for this never change.
None of this is untrue.

But the very elites you describe?

They were the ones who pimped the deadly automobile, and forced it upon The People, and destroyed mass transit systems.

Holding the car up as a symbol of freedom is like a prisoner bowing to his ball and chain.

Madness and extreme folly.

Don't look now but China and Bill Gates are working on buying as much farmland as they can afford. China wants land near military installations and Gates is a believer that animals farting cause global warming. China is using their farmland to grow pot and Gates isn't going to allow his farms to be used for livestock. Then you have Dementia increasing the use of ethanol which requires corn to produce.

Food shortage? You bet, maybe not at the immediate but if we allow this to continue, it will be a reality for people down the road.
Some more good points.

But cars have never really made sense.

Some more good points.

But cars have never really made sense.

If they don't make sense for you, don't ever get one. For me and most Americans they make all the sense in the world.

One of my tenants had his gf move in with him. They are elderly like I am, but she doesn't drive or have a car. I think she's going stir crazy in that apartment. The only time she goes out is with him and that's usually only shopping. They are both on disability even though he works part-time and her medical conditions preclude her from using mass transit. I really believe she's going nuts in that little apartment. I have no idea what she's going to do in the winter. I have a large yard and she's welcome to go anywhere on the property which she does.

Some (mostly) great points.

And green cars ain't green of course, and have all the other deadly problems of cars.

It's lipstick on a Nazi.

Agreed. In fact some studies show that to make the batteries, car, and all the crap that goes in it, it's more damaging to the environment than your standard high mileage economy gasoline car.

People were propagandized, plain and simple.

And this is often - as with cars - concurrent with criminal conspiracy against the optimal good.

Nobody propagandized anybody. That's like saying people were propagandized when they got rid of their ice box to get an electric refrigerator, or propagandized when they got rid of their coal furnace for a natural gas model. They are simply better, cheaper, much more reliable and more convenient to own.

Economically viable = That which can be brought into being via propaganda
Wrong.

It means getting what you pay for.

Mass transit is ridiculously expensive to implement in sparsely populated areas. bus or train schedules will not be convenient for people because there will by necessity be fewer of them and they will still need cars to get to terminals

None of this is untrue.

But the very elites you describe?

They were the ones who pimped the deadly automobile, and forced it upon The People, and destroyed mass transit systems.

Holding the car up as a symbol of freedom is like a prisoner bowing to his ball and chain.

Madness and extreme folly.
They made a lot of money, and their power grew with the industrial age and personal vehicles that is part of it. Been around a long time and their goals are closer and closer to seeing the end result.

If they don't make sense for you, don't ever get one.
They don't make sense period.

Tens of millions killed, hundreds of millions injured, non-renewable resources which it took tens of millions of years to create squandered in a mere century on automotive death traps.

But propaganda is very powerful, and the propagandized can be enormously resistant to reality and flexibility.
For me and most Americans they make all the sense in the world.
See above.
One of my tenants had his gf move in with him. They are elderly like I am, but she doesn't drive or have a car. I think she's going stir crazy in that apartment.
Flexible mass transit would be wonderful, yes.

And most cities had systems, but these were damaged and/or destroyed by the sociopathic greed of the automitive industry.

And that's a tragedy and a crime.
The only time she goes out is with him and that's usually only shopping. They are both on disability even though he works part-time and her medical conditions preclude her from using mass transit.
Sounds like some flexible thinking/planning is in order to meet her needs, and those of people like her.

Most places that have mass transit provide wheelchair access for instance - is this not available in Cleveland?
I really believe she's going nuts in that little apartment. I have no idea what she's going to do in the winter. I have a large yard and she's welcome to go anywhere on the property which she does.
I hope flexible mass transit and other solutions derived by flexible thinking and planning can be brought into the picture.

Agreed. In fact some studies show that to make the batteries, car, and all the crap that goes in it, it's more damaging to the environment than your standard high mileage economy gasoline car.
Yeah - electric cars are a lunatic scam built on a lunatic scam.

Nobody propagandized anybody.
This is such an astonishing claim that I scarcely know how to respond.

The last 100 years have been the century of mass propaganda in service of everything from Nazism to the even more deadly automobile.
That's like saying people were propagandized when they got rid of their ice box to get an electric refrigerator,
They were in large part, but sometimes change is positive.
or propagandized when they got rid of their coal furnace for a natural gas model.
See above.
They are simply better, cheaper, much more reliable and more convenient to own.
They can be, but cars are a tragic and criminal disaster - one of the worst habits people have ever been propagandized/forced into by the sociopathic elite.

Ironic that there is opposition to the sensible and inevitable abandonment of the automobile when the elites propose it, but not their imposition of this automotive death trap upon the world.

The hand that holds the mic rules the world.
It means getting what you pay for.
Those that rely on propaganda get vastly increased returns, yes.

That's why they utilize propaganda.
Mass transit is ridiculously expensive to implement in sparsely populated areas.
Hence my repeatedly saying that transit systems must be designed with specific communities in mind; you might want to read the entire thread.
bus or train schedules will not be convenient for people because there will by necessity be fewer of them
See above.
and they will still need cars to get to terminals
See above; tailor the systems to the makeup of the community.

They made a lot of money, and their power grew with the industrial age and personal vehicles that is part of it. Been around a long time and their goals are closer and closer to seeing the end result.
Pretty much.

The modern pharaohs are indistinguishable from the ancient.

This is such an astonishing claim that I scarcely know how to respond.

The last 100 years have been the century of mass propaganda in service of everything from Nazism to the even more deadly automobile.

They were in large part, but sometimes change is positive.

See above.

They can be, but cars are a tragic and criminal disaster - one of the worst habits people have ever been propagandized/forced into by the sociopathic elite.

Ironic that there is opposition to the sensible and inevitable abandonment of the automobile when the elites propose it, but not their imposition of this automotive death trap upon the world.

Nobody proposed anything. Long before the family car people only dreamed of having such a convenience. Most couldn't afford them early on but the first chance they had, they bought a family car.

Now that doesn't mean it makes sense everywhere. In NYC for example driving a car is a disadvantage. High rates of accidents, you spend most of your time stuck in traffic jams, and therefore a waste of time and money. People choose to take a cab, bus or the subway, which is now more dangerous than ever. But until this day, a lot of people in the city still don't own a personal vehicle.

As far as risk goes, people take risks all the time. People jump out of airplanes, climb mountains, hike on dangerously high trails, go skying down steep slopes and risk avalanches. If you live in a bubble your whole life then you really have no life at all. So if you want to go hang gliding or power gliding, go for it. If you want to swim in the ocean, the chances of you getting attacked by a shark are minimal, but the risk is still there.

I hope flexible mass transit and other solutions derived by flexible thinking and planning can be brought into the picture.

It was in the picture, but the majority of people thought it sucked and eventually bought their own vehicle. I know. I remember all the days I had to take the bus to school. It sucked. As soon as I was able to drive a car, I got a parking pass at school and drove myself. Never been happier.

Forum List

Back