Will the United States again respect Science?

As with other disciplines, Americans have been subjected to a contempt for the science of climatology that has festered in the highest echelons of government recently.

The stark disparity between reality and crackpot notions has dire ramifications, and no, ingesting disinfectants will not protect you from the ravages of unchecked fossil fuel consumption.
Climate change is making people sick and leading to premature death, according to a pair of influential reports on the connections between global warming and health.

Scientists from the World Meteorological Organization released a preliminary report on the global climate which shows that the last decade was the warmest on record and that millions of people were affected by wildfires, floods and extreme heat this year on top of the global pandemic.

Separately, a sprawling analysis published Wednesday by the medical research journal The Lancet focuses on public health data from 2019, and finds that heat waves, air pollution and extreme weather increasingly damage human health. It is the most comprehensive annual report yet on the nexus of climate and health, and is routinely cited by climate policymakers. The authors include dozens of physicians and public health experts from around the world.

Both reports make an explicit connection between death, disease and burning fossil fuels.

This foolishness has not only been an embarrassment for the United States that has surrendered leadership in the global crisis. It is a perverse refutation that will have severe economic impact, provoke mass migrations, and destroy quality of life for humans as well as other species.

Will the nation step up to face this enormous challenge that is already wreaking havoc?
Are you really naive enough to realize that the Paris Accord did NOTHING to stop global warming? Are you really so clueless that you can't see that non binding agreement let's China continue to pollute for years while it makes us increase our energy costs now making us even more uncompetitive with them? The Paris Accord was great for China and it SUCKED for the rest of the world!

As with other disciplines, Americans have been subjected to a contempt for the science of climatology that has festered in the highest echelons of government recently.

The stark disparity between reality and crackpot notions has dire ramifications, and no, ingesting disinfectants will not protect you from the ravages of unchecked fossil fuel consumption.
Climate change is making people sick and leading to premature death, according to a pair of influential reports on the connections between global warming and health.

Scientists from the World Meteorological Organization released a preliminary report on the global climate which shows that the last decade was the warmest on record and that millions of people were affected by wildfires, floods and extreme heat this year on top of the global pandemic.

Separately, a sprawling analysis published Wednesday by the medical research journal The Lancet focuses on public health data from 2019, and finds that heat waves, air pollution and extreme weather increasingly damage human health. It is the most comprehensive annual report yet on the nexus of climate and health, and is routinely cited by climate policymakers. The authors include dozens of physicians and public health experts from around the world.

Both reports make an explicit connection between death, disease and burning fossil fuels.

This foolishness has not only been an embarrassment for the United States that has surrendered leadership in the global crisis. It is a perverse refutation that will have severe economic impact, provoke mass migrations, and destroy quality of life for humans as well as other species.

Will the nation step up to face this enormous challenge that is already wreaking havoc?
Yep.

It would have been a different story if we had reelected this buffoon. But we woke up and corrected our fuckup immediately.

And that applies to several different issues. We will recover from this much faster, since it only lasted four years. The stain has only had so much time to set in.

At least the pendulum swing the other way should be a little less bat shit.
Yup, and that would be nice.

Darn those oil companies!!
Providing cheap, useful fuel that Americans need.
Selfless Saints for an ideological cult, to be sure!

- unfortunately, beatific souls that only Angola, Eritrea, Iran, Iraq, Libya, Sudan, Turkey, United States, and Yemen still worship.

Selfless Saints for an ideological cult, to be sure!

Fuck that.

Providing a vital product at a profit.

- unfortunately, beatific souls that only Angola, Eritrea, Iran, Iraq, Libya, Sudan, Turkey, United States, and Yemen still worship.

Is that supposed to make sense?

Fuck that.
Trump's aligning the United States with Angola, Eritrea, Iran, Iraq, Libya, Sudan, Turkey, and Yemen in opposition to all the advanced democracies on earth - as well as every other nation in the global consensus - is applauded by a vanishing number of crackpot ideologues consigned to the fringe. They will mewl, snivel, and whine, but the nation's scientific institutions, its businesses, military, and agricultural interests, will insure that we do not surrender to the ravages of anthropogenic climate change. Mayors of coastal cities prefer not to have them inundated by oceans.

But one example:

Rising waters from the Atlantic Ocean are threatening to submerge America's oldest city and all its historical sights.
Founded by the Spanish in the mid-16th century, St. Augustine, Florida, is the oldest continuously occupied city in the U.S., and runs on a powerful tourism industry of visitors seeking out living history, such as the Castillo de San Marcos fortress.
Waters from the Atlantic regularly flood the city, but residents and officials agree that sea level rise is getting worse.
Screen Shot 2020-12-04 at 7.55.30 AM.png
Cordova Street, St Augustine, Florida
September 20, 2020
St. Augustine is one of many chronically flooded communities along Florida's 1,200-mile coastline, and officials in these diverse places share a common concern: They're afraid their buildings and economies will be further inundated by rising seas in just a couple of decades. The effects are a daily reality in much of Florida. Drinking water wells are fouled by seawater. Higher tides and storm surges make for more frequent road flooding from Jacksonville to Key West, and they're overburdening aging flood-control systems.
Ideologues clinging to their dogma does not prevent the destruction of our coastal communities.

Did you ever stop to think there is no way to destroy this planet?
I do not share your vision of planetary obliteration.

I do share the concern of the vast majority of rational folks who are not constrained by a straitjacket of ideological dogma, that the ravages of anthropogenic climate change must be mitigated so that quality of life on that planet does not seriously deteriorate.

Fortunately, the global community - excluding pariah nations Angola, Eritrea, Iran, Iraq, Libya, Sudan, Turkey, the United States, and Yemen - are willing to rise to the challenge.

Not altruists like dirty fuel profiteers? Oh, my!

The realty that only dogmatic ideologues are in denial of the empirically-confirmed reality increasingly embraced by the global community, military and agricultural authorities, corporate entities, etc., etc., etc. rather disposes of the crackpots who fantasize that it is all a Chinese hoax.

There are also scientists that say the same thing.

Your need to dredge up an opinion piece from over two decades ago by a general practitioner with no climatological credentials is amusing.

Why not regress a bit further and champion an earth-centered empyrean?

Fuck that.
Trump's aligning the United States with Angola, Eritrea, Iran, Iraq, Libya, Sudan, Turkey, and Yemen in opposition to all the advanced democracies on earth - as well as every other nation in the global consensus - is applauded by a vanishing number of crackpot ideologues consigned to the fringe. They will mewl, snivel, and whine, but the nation's scientific institutions, its businesses, military, and agricultural interests, will insure that we do not surrender to the ravages of anthropogenic climate change. Mayors of coastal cities prefer not to have them inundated by oceans.

But one example:

Rising waters from the Atlantic Ocean are threatening to submerge America's oldest city and all its historical sights.
Founded by the Spanish in the mid-16th century, St. Augustine, Florida, is the oldest continuously occupied city in the U.S., and runs on a powerful tourism industry of visitors seeking out living history, such as the Castillo de San Marcos fortress.
Waters from the Atlantic regularly flood the city, but residents and officials agree that sea level rise is getting worse.
September 20, 2020

St. Augustine is one of many chronically flooded communities along Florida's 1,200-mile coastline, and officials in these diverse places share a common concern: They're afraid their buildings and economies will be further inundated by rising seas in just a couple of decades. The effects are a daily reality in much of Florida. Drinking water wells are fouled by seawater. Higher tides and storm surges make for more frequent road flooding from Jacksonville to Key West, and they're overburdening aging flood-control systems.
Ideologues clinging to their dogma does not prevent the destruction of our coastal communities.
So if you're REALLY worried about the destruction of our coastal communities...why on earth would you be in favor of an "accord" that lets China and India continue to increase their levels of carbon emissions for the the next decade? That makes sense to you? Who would be stupid enough to sign THAT?

Did you ever stop to think there is no way to destroy this planet?

I do share the concern of the vast majority of rational folks who are not constrained by a straitjacket of ideological dogma, that the ravages of anthropogenic climate change must be mitigated so that quality of life on that planet does not seriously deteriorate.

Fortunately, the global community - excluding pariah nations Angola, Eritrea, Iran, Iraq, Libya, Sudan, Turkey, the United States, and Yemen - are willing to rise to the challenge.
If China and India were REALLY rising to the challenge as you put it...why wouldn't they match our efforts? Why do they get to continue to pollute for years to come while we lower our carbon emissions at great cost to our economy?

So if you're REALLY worried about the destruction of our coastal communities...why on earth would you be in favor of an "accord" that lets China and India continue to increase their levels of carbon emissions for the the next decade? That makes sense to you? Who would be stupid enough to sign THAT?
Dogmatic ideologues in denial, including those who swallow Trump's nutty claim of a Chinese hoax, would prefer to align the United States with global pariahs Angola, Eritrea, Iran, Iraq, Libya, Sudan, Turkey, and Yemen. They would much rather whine about the shortcomings of their scapegoats rather than engage the community of nations, assume leadership, and hold all nations to rigorous standards.

If China and India were REALLY rising to the challenge as you put it...why wouldn't they match our efforts? Why do they get to continue to pollute for years to come while we lower our carbon emissions at great cost to our economy?
Indeed! Why should not the United States be the leader within the international coalition and hold all nations to high standards.

Sulking in isolation achieves nothing.

There are some things that you cannot (as a human being) solve on this earth. Look, I've witnessed this so-called fight on global warming most of my life. We got lead out of our paint and gasoline being told that would solve our problem. We got rid of fluorocarbons being told that would save the planet. We've outlawed home incinerators, got rid of freon, DDT which brought back bedbugs, got fuel injection engines for cars, now are making our cars out of plastic for better mileage, inserting crap in our gasoline to make it burn cleaner, electric cars, got rid of incandescent light bulbs, better and better home insulation, more fuel efficient furnaces, refrigerators, windows, diesel emission fluid (DEF) for diesel engines and the list goes on and on.

Several years ago a repairman came out to fix my snowblower. I told him the stupid thing won't run on closed choke. He told me they're all like that now because supposedly it makes it run cleaner. Not as much power, but we are saving the planet as he laughed. When my truck kept breaking down, I asked the mechanic WTF was going on with the stupid thing, it's brand new! He told me trucks not only have one computer, but three. They have to work in sync which is difficult to do, especially up north when those computers are sitting in the parking lot in 0 degree weather. Why these computers? To make the engine more fuel efficient. Tractors years ago lasted for many years before they broke down. The only time you seen a mechanic was for oil changes and routine service.

The bottom line is we've been at this problem for decades, and still, nobody is happy. Every time we make something greener, it costs us more money; money people don't realize they are spending because the costs are internal. It's endless.

There are some things that you cannot (as a human being) solve on this earth. Look, I've witnessed this so-called fight on global warming most of my life. We got lead out of our paint and gasoline being told that would solve our problem. We got rid of fluorocarbons being told that would save the planet. We've outlawed home incinerators, got rid of freon, DDT which brought back bedbugs, got fuel injection engines for cars, now are making our cars out of plastic for better mileage, inserting crap in our gasoline to make it burn cleaner, electric cars, got rid of incandescent light bulbs, better and better home insulation, more fuel efficient furnaces, refrigerators, windows, diesel emission fluid (DEF) for diesel engines and the list goes on and on.

Several years ago a repairman came out to fix my snowblower. I told him the stupid thing won't run on closed choke. He told me they're all like that now because supposedly it makes it run cleaner. Not as much power, but we are saving the planet as he laughed. When my truck kept breaking down, I asked the mechanic WTF was going on with the stupid thing, it's brand new! He told me trucks not only have one computer, but three. They have to work in sync which is difficult to do, especially up north when those computers are sitting in the parking lot in 0 degree weather. Why these computers? To make the engine more fuel efficient. Tractors years ago lasted for many years before they broke down. The only time you seen a mechanic was for oil changes and routine service.

The bottom line is we've been at this problem for decades, and still, nobody is happy. Every time we make something greener, it costs us more money; money people don't realize they are spending because the costs are internal. It's endless.
Fortunately, ignoring the empirical data and the analysis of the most savvy among us, pretending that we are not in an intensifying existential crisis of our making that we have a responsibility to address, is no longer a viable option for most folks.

Denial has failed, and aligning with Angola, Eritrea, Iran, Iraq, Libya, Sudan, Turkey, and Yemen rather than assuming a leadership role in the international commitment to address the crisis is not a wise course.

More violent and more frequent storms, inexorable sea level rise, the increase in devastating conflagrations, crop failures, and the ensuing mass human migrations are prospects that do not cause many folks to call for surrender.

Fortunately, ignoring the empirical data and the analysis of the most savvy among us, pretending that we are not in an intensifying existential crisis of our making that we have a responsibility to address, is no longer a viable option for most folks.

Denial has failed, and aligning with Angola, Eritrea, Iran, Iraq, Libya, Sudan, Turkey, and Yemen rather than assuming a leadership role in the international commitment to address the crisis is not a wise course.

More violent and more frequent storms, inexorable sea level rise, the increase in devastating conflagrations, crop failures, and the ensuing mass human migrations are prospects that do not cause many folks to call for surrender.

How many times are you going to cut and paste this bullshit? All you do is repeat the same lies, again and again. You are as worthless as teats on a boar hog!

That's because many of us realize we don't control these things. It's God, or nature if you are not a believer. If you are an AOC fan, you probably think we only have 7 more years until the planet is destroyed.

What you suggest is we go broke trying to control a situation we cannot control, and that's unacceptable to me and the millions like me. Nearly every computer model on climate has been wrong. Cars and factories were not responsible for the end of the ice age. The planet changes, always has, and always will. No other country in the world has dumped the trillions into global warming than the US. So even if you could possibly stop every pollutant in this country, what about these other countries? They don't have our money.

Fear is an emotion that's exciting for many people. We go to scary movies to experience fear, go on rides at an amusement park to feel fear, go to haunted houses during Halloween. If your enjoyment is fear the world will end, that's fine with me. Just don't be digging in my wallet for your enjoyment.

Fuck that.

But one example:

September 20, 2020

Trump's aligning the United States with Angola, Eritrea, Iran, Iraq, Libya, Sudan, Turkey, and Yemen in opposition to all the advanced democracies on earth

What the hell are you talking about? Link?

How much has the ocean level increased?
How much has the land subsided?
How many trillions do we need to spend to make the ocean level drop?

Ideologues clinging to their dogma does not prevent Chicagoans from freezing to death in winter.

How many times are you going to cut and paste this bullshit? All you do is repeat the same lies, again and again. You are as worthless as teats on a boar hog!
Your ideological zealotry is the signature of science deniers.

Upsetting as it may be for you, climatologists are far more qualified to assess anthropogenic climate change than are your ideologues.

That's because many of us realize we don't control these things. It's God, or nature if you are not a believer. If you are an AOC fan, you probably think we only have 7 more years until the planet is destroyed...

I recognize that the ideological basis for your denialism encompasses irrelevant dogma but, yes, humans have had a severe impact upon climate via the emission of industrial greenhouse gases during the last century-and-a-half, and the disastrous consequences are what are undeniable. It is the responsibility of humankind to undo the harm it has done, your gods and your "AOC" having no bearing upon that global commitment.

Again, I have far more confidence in the world's climatologists and all the nations that respect their acumen than I do in a pack of ideologues who rather align with Angola, Eritrea, Iran, Iraq, Libya, Sudan, Turkey, and Yemen.

Fuck that.

Trump's aligning the United States with Angola, Eritrea, Iran, Iraq, Libya, Sudan, Turkey, and Yemen in opposition to all the advanced democracies on earth

What the hell are you talking about? Link?

If you delight in Trump's having joined with Angola, Eritrea, Iran, Iraq, Libya, Sudan, Turkey, and Yemen as pariahs from the world community in the Paris Accord, I'm afraid that his alignment with those nations will be short-lived. You can hold as an article of faith that anthropogenic climate change is a Chinese hoax if that is what your blind faith dictates, but progress is in the offing:

Major Companies Call on Biden to Act on Climate Change
Utilities, banks and car makers signed a statement urging the President-elect
and Congress to enact ambitious climate policy

Forum List

Back