Will Senator Ted Cruz and “conservatives” ever offer real tax reform?

Take your own advice. Fairness does not mean everyone is treated the same way. Doing so would favor some over others.

That is not equitable. For taxation, equity is a the degree of burden a tax creates. Some taxpayers might not be able to bear the same tax rate as others.

The very definition says otherwise. I even posted it for you.

The degree of burden it creates? In your world, you have to harm someone in order for fairness to be legitimate?

Wow.

Taxes are a burden. The goal of an equitable tax policy is equalization of the burden. It should ensure taxes are no more a hardship on one taxpayer than another. That's why we have a progressive income tax. Rates increase with income because more affluent taxpayers can afford to pay higher rates. The greater taxes amounts are no more a burden than low tax amounts are for a less affluent taxpayer.

The only fair method of taxation is a steeply progressive income tax. Our tax policy should be reformed to add more tax brackets and to increase marginal tax rates at every level to a maximum rate of at least 90% on the top tax bracket. That would spread the cost of American burden fairly.

So, your version of "fair" is to impose a steeply progressive tax upon hard working people living in our nation's inner cities, some of whom have two jobs in order to accumulate wealth and then move out of the inner city, while those across our nation who are too lazy to work two jobs should get a pass on your steeply progressive tax?

Why do you promote such theft?

Taxes are not theft. Theft is an unlawful taking of something of value. Taxes are lawful.

I would like someone to re-introduce the fair tax with this caveat: The prebates need to be raised for the lower incomes. The numbers on the chart need to be doubled at least. The biggest argument against FT is the effect on the poor. I agree and propose changing that so everyone can take home an entire paycheck. It would also be to each states advantage to follow suit.

Any takers?

The only fair method of taxation is a steeply progressive income tax. Our tax policy should be reformed to add more tax brackets and to increase marginal tax rates at every level to a maximum rate of at least 90% on the top tax bracket. That would spread the cost of American burden fairly.

So, your version of "fair" is to impose a steeply progressive tax upon hard working people living in our nation's inner cities, some of whom have two jobs in order to accumulate wealth and then move out of the inner city, while those across our nation who are too lazy to work two jobs should get a pass on your steeply progressive tax?

Why do you promote such theft?

Taxes are not theft. Theft is an unlawful taking of something of value. Taxes are lawful.

Direct taxes which are not apportioned are unconstitutional, and are what Obama uses to redistribute "the wealth" to his pals. Let us take a look at the list who have profited off working people‘s earned wages being transferred to Obama's pals:

• Beacon Power Corp: Received $43 million in federal loan guaranteed in 2009 and also received $29 million in PA grants – Bankrupt in October 2011

• Ener1 (parent company of EnerDel): Received $118.5 million in federal loan guarantees — Bankrupt in January 2012 – has since exited bankruptcy

• Evergreen Solar: Received $58 million in MA loan guarantees (an undisclosed portion sourced from federal ARRA block grant) — Bankrupt in August 2011 with $485.6 million in debt

• Solyndra: Received $535 million in federal loan guarantees in 2009 and $25.1 million in CA tax credit — Bankrupt in August 2011

• SpectraWatt: Received $500,000 in federal loan guarantees in 2009 — Bankrupt in August 2011

• Babcock and Brown: Received $178 million in federal grants in December 2009 (4 months after it went bust) – Bankrupt in early 2009

• Mountain Plaza Inc.: Received $424,000 in federal grants through TN Department of Transportation in 2009 — Bankrupt in 2003 and again in June 2010

• Solar Trust of America (parent company: Solar Millennium): Received $2.1 billion loan guarantee in April 2011 – Bankrupt in April 2012
Other Subsidized Green Energy Companies in decline:

• A123: Received $300 million in federal grants and $135 million in MI grants — Declining orders and have forced multiple layoffs

• Amonix, Inc.: Received $5.9 million in federal tax credits in 2009 through ARRA — Laid off 2/3 of work force

• First Solar: Received $3 billion in federal loan guarantees — Biggest S&P loser in 2011, CEO fired

• Fisker Automotive: $529 million in federal loan guarantees — Multiple 2012 sales prediction downgrades for first car release, delivery and cash flow troubles; Assembling cars in Finland

• Johnson Controls: Received $299 million in federal grants in 2009 — Low demand caused cancellation of a new factory, operating at half capacity

• Nevada Geothermal: Received $98.5 million in federal loan guarantees in 2009 — Defaulting on long-term debt obligations, 85% drop in stock value

• Sun Power: Received $1.2 billion in federal loan guarantees — Debt exceeds assets; French oil company took over last fall

• Abound Solar: Received $400 million in federal loans in 2012 — ½ work force laid off

• BrightSource Energy: $1.6 billion federal loan approved in April 2012 – loan obtained through political connections with the administration; absent the loan, Brightsource’s solar power purchase would have fallen through.

see:Green Energy’s Bankruptcy Blackout

Also see: 80% of Obama green jobs money goes to Obama donors.

JWK

"To lay with one hand the power of the government on the property of the citizen and with the other to bestow upon favored individuals, to aid private enterprises and build up private fortunes [Obama’s Solyndra, Chevy Volt, Fisker, Exelon swindling deals] is none the less a robbery because it is done under forms of law and called taxation." ____ Savings and Loan Assc. v. Topeka,(1875).

I would like someone to re-introduce the fair tax with this caveat: The prebates need to be raised for the lower incomes. The numbers on the chart need to be doubled at least. The biggest argument against FT is the effect on the poor. I agree and propose changing that so everyone can take home an entire paycheck. It would also be to each states advantage to follow suit.

Any takers?

Why do you support the alleged "fairtax" which would enlarge Congress' taxing reach? Why do you support a new 23 percent tax on the purchase of articles of consumption and another 23 present tax upon the sale of labor? And why do you support these two new taxes when Congress' power to lay and collect taxes calculated from profits, gains and other incomes would remain? Are you freaken nuts? Or, have you not studied the actual text of H.R. 25, the alleged fairtax?

Why not support a return to our Constitution's original tax plan which can happen by the following:

House/Senate Joint Resolution

Proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States to repeal the sixteenth article of amendment and end taxes calculated from profits, gains, salaries and other “incomes”.

Section 1: The sixteenth article of amendment to the Constitution of the United States is hereby repealed.

Section 2: Congress is henceforth forbidden to lay ``any`` tax or burden calculated from profits, gains, interest, salaries, wages, tips, inheritances or any other lawfully realized money.

Section 3: This article shall be inoperative unless it shall have been ratified as an amendment to the Constitution by three fourths of the several States, as provided in the Constitution, within seven years from the date of the submission thereof to the States by the Congress.

JWK

Are we really to believe the founder of fairtax.org., Leo E. Linbeck Jr. and Herman Cain, both former ringleaders of the federal reserve banking cartel which plunders our national treasury?

Last edited:
the short and simple answer is no...the Republicans won't do a DAMN thing about tax reforms other than give lip service.

Same as usual.

Are you suggesting that our "conservatives" in Congress are phonies and this is why not one will step forward and actually introduce a joint resolution to amend our Constitution declaring:

Section 1: The sixteenth article of amendment to the Constitution of the United States is hereby repealed.

Section 2: Congress is henceforth forbidden to lay ``any`` tax or burden calculated from profits, gains, interest, salaries, wages, tips, inheritances or any other lawfully realized money.

Section 3: This article shall be inoperative unless it shall have been ratified as an amendment to the Constitution by three fourths of the several States, as provided in the Constitution, within seven years from the date of the submission thereof to the States by the Congress.

I wonder how the public would respond this coming election if our "conservatives" in Congress, instead of constantly giving lip service to "tax reform", would actually introduced such a resolution and make it part of their 2014 campaign. And how would our "conservatives" in the media respond? Would such a proposal to return to our Constitution's ORIGINAL TAX PLAN, as our founders intended it to operate, smoke out those in the media who pretend they are "conservatives"?

JWK

“…..with all these blessings, what more is necessary to make us a happy and a prosperous people? Still one thing more, fellow-citizens—a wise and frugal Government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government, and this is necessary to close the circle of our felicities“. Thomas Jefferson, First Inaugural Address

Take your own advice. Fairness does not mean everyone is treated the same way. Doing so would favor some over others.

Seriously? I think we have a winner for most inane statement of the week, and it's only Monday. If fairness does not mean treating everyone the same, then what else could it possibly mean? This is truly monumental in its gross stupidity and thoughtlessness.

It means managing the treatment so everyone is affected equally. For instance, a 10% tax on a poor man might be too much but a 10% tax on a rich man might not be enough.

Again.. your subjective assumption.. the 'poor' earning man may have everything paid off and no bills.. no kids.. and small expenses.. the 'rich' guy may have a wife, 2 ex wives, 6 kids, 2 mortgages, a settlement payout, vehicle payments, and student loans in excess of 200K

Again, you idiot.. everything you cling to is SUBJECTIVE.. and that is no way to base government policy

Ahhhhhh...tax reform. A topic near and dear to my heart.

But first let me say that Representative Williams is just as wrong today as he was in 1797. The Roman Empire did not fall because of direct taxes any more than it fell because of the tolerance of homosexuality. Blaming the fall of the Roman Empire on the issue du jour goes back to our Founding. :lol:

I am a conservative with a libertarian bent, and so I prefer taxes on consumption over taxes on production. I am also deeply opposed to tax expenditures. Tax expenditures go by many names. Deductions, subsidies, credits, boondoggles, loopholes, etc. They should all be banned. I cannot take any politician who claims to be for tax reform who does not address the outrageous annual tax expenditures which total over $1.2 trillion.

That's per year, folks. Most of the time when you hear somebody bitching about some program costing x billion dollars or x trillion dollars, they are talking about how much it will cost over ten years.

Tax expenditures are costing us $1.2 trillion per year.

What does that mean to you? It means your income tax rate is higher than it should be. It means everyone is forced into a higher tax rate to pay for all these tax expenditures. If you get a tax deduction, or if you have employer health insurance (all employer health insurance receives a giant tax exemption), other people are having to pay for your tax breaks. That makes you no different than someone on food stamps.

Even worse, because we refuse to pay the even higher tax rates it would take to fully cover the cost of these tax expenditures, we force the federal government to end up borrowing the balance. And that, more than any other budget item you can name, is the leading cause of our $17 trillion debt. If you removed tax expenditures, and did not change a single other thing, our government would have a revenue surplus every year.

So we clearly need to enact a ban on tax expenditures.

Tax expenditures exist because our politicians trade them in exchange for campaign cash which ensures a Representative's 98 percent chance of re-election. Take away their ability to put boondoggles in our tax code, and you remove one big incentive to bribe them with campaign cash.

No tax reform will succeed without first removing the ability of our politicians and special interests to corrupt it. You can enact a Fair Tax all day long and it will be rendered immediately ineffective if our politicians and special interests can put $1.2 trillion dollars worth of exemptions in it.

I'll get to the Fair Tax later. I'm kind of a fan. Because, after all, it's a tax on consumption which can replace a tax on production (income tax).

Last edited:

But first let me say that Representative Williams is just as wrong today as he was in 1797. The Roman Empire did not fall because of direct taxes any more than it fell because of the tolerance of homosexuality. Blaming the fall of the Roman Empire on the issue du jour goes back to our Founding. :lol:

I am a conservative with a libertarian bent, and so I prefer taxes on consumption over taxes on production. I am also deeply opposed to tax expenditures. Tax expenditures go by many names. Deductions, subsidies, credits, boondoggles, loopholes, etc. They should all be banned. I cannot take any politician who claims to be for tax reform who does not address the outrageous annual tax expenditures which total over $1.2 trillion.

That's per year, folks. Most of the time when you hear somebody bitching about some program costing x billion dollars or x trillion dollars, they are talking about how much it will cost over ten years.

What does that mean to you? It means your income tax rate is higher than it should be. It means everyone is forced into a higher tax rate to pay for all these tax expenditures. If you get a tax deduction, or if you have employer health insurance (all employer health insurance receives a giant tax exemption), other people are having to pay for your tax breaks. That makes you no different than someone on food stamps.

Even worse, because we refuse to pay the even higher tax rates it would take to fully cover the cost of these tax expenditures, we force the federal government to end up borrowing the balance. And that, more than any other budget item you can name, is the leading cause of our $17 trillion debt. If you removed tax expenditures, and did not change a single other thing, our government would have a revenue surplus every year.

Tax expenditures exist because our politicians trade them in exchange for campaign cash which ensures a Representative's 98 percent chance of re-election. Take away their ability to put boondoggles in our tax code, and you remove one big incentive to bribe them with campaign cash.

No tax reform will succeed without first removing the ability of our politicians and special interests to corrupt it. You can enact a Fair Tax all day long and it will be rendered immediately ineffective if our politicians and special interests can put $1.2 trillion dollars worth of exemptions in it.

I'll get to the Fair Tax later. I'm kind of a fan. Because, after all, it's a tax on consumption which can replace a tax on production (income tax).

After studying your post, I have come to the conclusion you have little, if any, credibility. Why do I say this? Because contrary to what you posted, the "fairtax" [H.R. 25] is a proposal to establish two new taxes [a 23 percent tax upon the purchase of articles of consumption, and, another 23 percent tax upon the sale of labor] while keeping alive Congress' taxing power to lay and collect taxes calculated from profits, gains, and other incomes.

Why not support the following which is real tax reform?

Proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States to repeal the sixteenth article of amendment and end taxes calculated from profits, gains, salaries and other “incomes”.

I wonder how the public would respond this coming election if our "conservatives" in Congress, instead of constantly giving lip service to "tax reform", would actually introduced such a resolution and make it part of their 2014 campaign. And how would our "conservatives" in the media respond? Would such a proposal to return to our Constitution's ORIGINAL TAX PLAN, as our founders intended it to operate, smoke out those in the media who pretend they are "conservatives"?

JWK

“…..with all these blessings, what more is necessary to make us a happy and a prosperous people? Still one thing more, fellow-citizens—a wise and frugal Government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government, and this is necessary to close the circle of our felicities“. Thomas Jefferson, First Inaugural Address

After studying your post, I have come to the conclusion you have little, if any, credibility. Why do I say this? Because contrary to what you posted, the "fairtax" [H.R. 25] is a proposal to establish two new taxes [a 23 percent tax upon the purchase of articles of consumption, and, another 23 percent tax upon the sale of labor] while keeping alive Congress' taxing power to lay and collect taxes calculated from profits, gains, and other incomes.

JWK

FAIRTAX is NOT 23+23...it's 23% PERIOD.

So, it's fair to shoulder one segment of the population with the bulk of the tax burden?

How in ay way is it fair to have the majority of Americans paying nothing?

Ask Thomas Jefferson:

Another means of silently lessening the inequality of property is to exempt all from taxation below a certain point, and to tax the higher portions or property in geometrical progression as they rise.

FAIR is subjective.. period

I agree. I am very uncomfortable with the government being the decider of what is "fair".

It is FAIR in your eyes when you get to pay a lesser rate and someone else who you envy is forced to pay more... and no fucking way does any government deserve 90% of anyone's income

For the sake of accuracy, only income earned ABOVE a certain amount would be taxed at 90 percent.

Back in the day, Reagan once explained that when we had 90 percent top tax rates, he would only work on a few films a year because any income he earned after those first few films would be taxed at 90 percent. All income below that amount was taxed at a lower rate.

So he would stop working until the next year. That was his way of explaining how taxes on production resulted in less production. He made me a convert to consumption taxes over taxes on production.

Last edited:

You just blew your own credibility out of the water since you demonstrated you have no real understanding of the Fair Tax.

The Fair Tax would replace all federal income and payroll taxes. And it is not two new taxes. It is one.

The Fair Tax is about as transparent a tax as it gets, but that premise entirely depends on the total elimination of tax expenditures. Exemptions, credits, etc. You can't allow special interests to have their sacred cows exempt from taxation. That would cause everyone else to have to pay higher taxes just like they do now because of the $1.2 trillion in tax expenditures we have today.

To offset the regressive nature of the Fair Tax, everyone would receive a rebate check each month to offset the taxes paid on necessities. That way, the poor would either break even, or maybe even come out a little ahead, after spending all their money just to survive. A Wall Street broker would be getting the same size rebate check as a minimum wage earner.

If we have no exemptions, credits, etc., then the Fair Tax would be the ultimate transparent tax. No politician would be able to sneak a tax hike by us. We would know instantaneously when our taxes went up. It would be impossible to hide. Likewise, we would know everyone was paying identical tax.

Doesn't get more fair than that!

And if the American people demanded free puppies from the government, the government could say, "Sure! And here is your one percent Fair Tax hike to pay for that!" It would be impossible to shove the cost off onto one particular group of people! Everybody pays!

;)

Last edited:

Au contraire:
The FairTax is a tax reform proposal for the federal government of the United States that would replace all federal income taxes (including the alternative minimum tax, corporate income taxes, and capital gains taxes), payroll taxes (including Social Security and Medicare taxes), gift taxes, and estate taxes with a single broad national consumption tax on retail sales. The Fair Tax Act (H.R. 25/S. 122) would apply a tax, once, at the point of purchase on all new goods and services for personal consumption.

FairTax - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It seems like every time the government reforms taxes, I spend additional hours in paperwork. I think the idea is that if you won't lower taxes then you have to work for them which means finding deductions and credits and keeping a God awful amount of receipts.

It seems like every time the government reforms taxes, I spend additional hours in paperwork. I think the idea is that if you won't lower taxes then you have to work for them which means finding deductions and credits and keeping a God awful amount of receipts.

That is not the way it should be. That is a complete breakdown of the system.

JWK

FAIRTAX is NOT 23+23...it's 23% PERIOD.

I suggest you study H.R. 25 and then get back to me. I would not have posted what I posted if it were not true.

JWK

Are we really to believe the founder of fairtax.org., Leo E. Linbeck Jr. and Herman Cain, both former ringleaders of the federal reserve banking cartel which plunders our national treasury?

You just blew your own credibility out of the water since you demonstrated you have no real understanding of the Fair Tax.

The Fair Tax would replace all federal income and payroll taxes. And it is not two new taxes. It is one.

What is it that I wrote which you disagree with? Your generalized comment contains nothing I wrote to defend.

JWK

If the provisions of the constitution can be set aside by an act of congress, where is the course of usurpation to end? The present assault upon capital is but the beginning. It will be but the stepping-stone to others, larger and more sweeping, till our political contests will become a war of the poor against the rich,-a war constantly growing in intensity and bitterness. 'If the court sanctions the power of discriminating taxation, and nullifies the uniformity mandate of the constitution,' as said by one who has been all his life a student of our institutions, 'it will mark the hour when the sure decadence of our present government will commence.' , Pollock v. Farmers' Loan & Trust Company, (1895)

Tax reform for Republicans means cut taxes for the rich and cut food stamps for children and the disabled.

Forum List

Back