Will Biden end the filibuster and pack the Supreme Court?

task0778

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2017
Texas hill country
Wallace: So my question to you is, you have refused in the past to talk about it, are you willing to tell the American tonight whether or not you will support either ending the filibuster or packing the court?

Biden refused to answer, something the Trump quickly challenged. Here's the colloquy:

BIDEN: Whatever position I take on that, that'll become the issue. The issue is the American people should speak. You should go out and vote. You're voting now. Vote and let your Senators know strongly how you feel.

TRUMP: Are you going to pack the court?

BIDEN: Vote now.

BIDEN: Make sure you, in fact, let people know, your Senators.

TRUMP: He doesn't want to answer the question.

BIDEN: I'm not going to answer the question.

TRUMP: Why wouldn't you answer that question? You want to put a lot of new Supreme Court Justices. Radical left.

BIDEN: Will you shut up, man?

TRUMP: Listen, who is on your list, Joe? Who's on your list?

WALLACE: Gentlemen, I think we've ended this —

BIDEN: This is so un-Presidential.

TRUMP: He's going to pack the court. He is not going to give a list.

These 2 issues are to my mind essential to protecting our democracy. There's a thing called the tyranny of the majority, and it means that 51% of the Congress gets to make legislation that governs 100% of the rest of us. That's why the Senate requires 60 votes to close debate on legislation, so that the minority party is not shutout of the process. That rule is supposed to force compromise and cooperation at some level, otherwise nothing would get done and the electorate doesn't like that. And it was presumed that the both parties would bargain in good faith to gain something for their side and they would work out a deal. Which of course we don't have today, that's why we have made so little progress on the issues that matter to the country as a whole. If the majority party doesn't have 60 votes today, it's gridlock. And I don't think either party is blameless.

So - the fact that Biden will not state that he supports ending the filibuster or maintain it actually tells you he will let the Senate decide if the Dems take the Senate. Trump has said he wants to end it, unless I'm mistaken. But Biden won't say one way or the other and that is political cowardice. All this shit about letting the voters decide but he left out the part where he's being dishonest about the filibuster, packing the court, and other things. I'll be honest here, I believe there are enough Repubs who will not support ending the filibuster; I am not at all sure the same can be said for the Dems.

The other thing is packing the court. With the addition of ACB to the SCOTUS, many Dems are talking about increasing the number of justices on the SCOTUS to where the number of liberal judges would outnumber the number of conservative ones, like maybe changing from 9 to 15. When asked about that, Biden refused to answer the question. Here again, he tells us to go out and vote but he doesn't tell us his position on packing the court. So, we are left with the assumption that his answer is yeah I'm for it if we get the Senate. But he didn't have the guts to say so; one thing about Trump, he ain't afraid to tell us anything. You might not agree with what he says or like the way he says it, by damn you know where he stands.

I don't think allowing 51% of the Congress to decide everything for us is a good thing for our democracy. The opposition should be heard and have some power of their own, and it should be on them as well as the majority party to work in good faith to arrive at the best possible solutions. But if the opposition is totally shut out then the 49% of the people represented by the minority party are have no voice in the decision-making. And that ain't good for our democracy.

Wallace: So my question to you is, you have refused in the past to talk about it, are you willing to tell the American tonight whether or not you will support either ending the filibuster or packing the court?

Biden refused to answer, something the Trump quickly challenged. Here's the colloquy:

BIDEN: Whatever position I take on that, that'll become the issue. The issue is the American people should speak. You should go out and vote. You're voting now. Vote and let your Senators know strongly how you feel.

TRUMP: Why wouldn't you answer that question? You want to put a lot of new Supreme Court Justices. Radical left.

These 2 issues are to my mind essential to protecting our democracy. There's a thing called the tyranny of the majority, and it means that 51% of the Congress gets to make legislation that governs 100% of the rest of us. That's why the Senate requires 60 votes to close debate on legislation, so that the minority party is not shutout of the process. That rule is supposed to force compromise and cooperation at some level, otherwise nothing would get done and the electorate doesn't like that. And it was presumed that the both parties would bargain in good faith to gain something for their side and they would work out a deal. Which of course we don't have today, that's why we have made so little progress on the issues that matter to the country as a whole. If the majority party doesn't have 60 votes today, it's gridlock. And I don't think either party is blameless.

So - the fact that Biden will not state that he supports ending the filibuster or maintain it actually tells you he will let the Senate decide if the Dems take the Senate. Trump has said he wants to end it, unless I'm mistaken. But Biden won't say one way or the other and that is political cowardice. All this shit about letting the voters decide but he left out the part where he's being dishonest about the filibuster, packing the court, and other things. I'll be honest here, I believe there are enough Repubs who will not support ending the filibuster; I am not at all sure the same can be said for the Dems.

The other thing is packing the court. With the addition of ACB to the SCOTUS, many Dems are talking about increasing the number of justices on the SCOTUS to where the number of liberal judges would outnumber the number of conservative ones, like maybe changing from 9 to 15. When asked about that, Biden refused to answer the question. Here again, he tells us to go out and vote but he doesn't tell us his position on packing the court. So, we are left with the assumption that his answer is yeah I'm for it if we get the Senate. But he didn't have the guts to say so; one thing about Trump, he ain't afraid to tell us anything. You might not agree with what he says or like the way he says it, by damn you know where he stands.

I don't think allowing 51% of the Congress to decide everything for us is a good thing for our democracy. The opposition should be heard and have some power of their own, and it should be on them as well as the majority party to work in good faith to arrive at the best possible solutions. But if the opposition is totally shut out then the 49% of the people represented by the minority party are have no voice in the decision-making. And that ain't good for our democracy.

How is this different than Buckeye's packing the court thread?

Trump's cult accusing the democrats of 'packing the courts' brings to mind that old adage about the pot calling the kettle black.

Trump's cult accusing the democrats of 'packing the courts' brings to mind that old adage about the pot calling the kettle black.

Um ... what? If you don't know what packing the court is, you realize you're on the Internet and you can Google it, right?

I thought Trump won that point but then blew it with me when he spoke about 300 justice positions Obama left unfilled. I knew the Senate Republicans were sitting on their ass in refusing to perform their job concerning Supreme Court nominee Garland. But before Trump pointed out "300", I didn't think their neglect was anywhere near that extent. It's not one of those things I would brag about.

More leftist bs.

I thought Trump won that point but then blew it with me when he spoke about 300 justice positions Obama left unfilled. I knew the Senate Republicans were sitting on their ass in refusing to perform their job concerning Supreme Court nominee Garland. But before Trump pointed out "300", I didn't think the extent of their neglection was anywhere near that extent. It's not one of those things I would brag about.

Just to clarify factually

- Obama left 100 judges unfulfilled. It really BTW was a combination of Obama and the Republicans, not just the Republicans. Obama also believed Hillary would win and had no real sense of urgency to fill them

- Trump then filled 300.

But Obama didn't leave 300 unfilled

Last edited:
I thought Trump won that point but then blew it with me when he spoke about 300 justice positions Obama left unfilled. I knew the Senate Republicans were sitting on their ass in refusing to perform their job concerning Supreme Court nominee Garland. But before Trump pointed out "300", I didn't think their neglect was anywhere near that extent. It's not one of those things I would brag about.
Biden blew it in not pointing out that Mitch McConnell blocked those 300 positions
It was not for lack of trying

Biden should reply.......We’ll see

I don’t think he will back the court
Senate filibuster is a Senate decision not the President

Democrat Proposing To His Girlfriend Says He Won’t Reveal Position On Adultery Until After The Wedding.

1602620494604.png

The staunch Democrat said he wants the woman to marry him but won't reveal his position on adultery until the marriage is finalized.

"Listen, I love you, babe, but you don't deserve to know what I think about adultery until you say 'I do,'" he told her during a romantic dinner just after he proposed.​

"No matter how many times his girlfriend asked, Millikers refused to give a straight answer," said the anonymous source. "He said something like: 'Lookie here, Jill! If I tell you right now whether or not I plan to remain faithful to you, that would become the story! This is just a distraction! I think it's better to just get married first with no prenup. Then I'll tell you what I plan to do.'"​

Other things he refuses to reveal his position on include taking showers, putting socks in the hamper, going out drinking with the boys every night, and watching sports all day while he ignores his family.

"You'll find out my positions on these issues once we are married."​

Judging by the look on her face, that girl is not impressed with that ring. "Where'd you get that piece of crap? Walmart?"

And then she says, "I'll let you know my position on sex once we're married."

Um ... what? If you don't know what packing the court is, you realize you're on the Internet and you can Google it, right?

Packing the court is an accurate term what the republicans have been doing for decades.

Your cult is free to try to redefine common terms, but we're under no obligation to go along.

And yes, we know why you tried to redefine it. You've spent decades packing the courts, so you now look like total hypocrites for whining about it. Thus, you're trying to redefine what you did as something different.

Packing the court is an accurate term what the republicans have been doing for decades.

Your cult is free to try to redefine common terms, but we're under no obligation to go along.

And yes, we know why you tried to redefine it. You've spent decades packing the courts, so you now look like total hypocrites for whining about it. Thus, you're trying to redefine what you did as something different.

You're such a stupid douche. There hasn't been any change in the number of justices from nine.

You're stupid as shit. Google what packing the court means, stupid bitch

if court packing is inconsequential, why hide your position on it?

what's the other side of the story? WHAT'S THE OTHER SIDE OF THE STORY?

You're such a stupid douche. There hasn't been any change in the number of justices from nine.

She isn't stupid. She knows she's lying.

Modern Democrats are scum.

Trump cult liars, I point out your lies because it's the morally correct thing to do. That's what drives liberals. The fact that it makes your tears flow is just a happy bonus. We'd still point out your lies even if it didn't make you cry.

Funnier yet is how so many Trump cultists think calling me a woman is some sort of insult. The Trump cult has serious issues concerning women.

These 2 issues are to my mind essential to protecting our democracy. There's a thing called the tyranny of the majority, and it means that 51% of the Congress gets to make legislation that governs 100% of the rest of us. That's why the Senate requires 60 votes to close debate on legislation, so that the minority party is not shutout of the process.
Republicans have lost the popular vote in five or the last seven POTUS elections, yet they have confirmed 15 SCOTUS nominees since Nixon while Democrats have confirmed four; we're dealing with a tyranny of the minority and there's living proof of that reality in the White House today.
%2Fmethode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F79aa10ca-9796-11e5-a1ae-b4940e807761.jpg

Just maybe he is keeping his options open and seeing how things shake out. A honest Supreme Court is vital to a functional democracy. We don't have that anymore as the Republicans are packing the Supreme Court with ideologues.

As to the filibuster, it needs to be rolled back. If McConnell tries to use the filibuster to ensure nothing gets passed then Biden should do this. Try to compromise with Republicans. If that fails then craft a compromise with Democrats and suspend the filibuster.

Again Biden is weighing his options as to increasing the size of the Supreme Court. Mike Lee actually gave a rationale for expanding the Supreme Court but hypocritically says Democrats shouldn't do it. He does it but you better not try it. I suspect the Supreme Court will prove that it is a far right wing extremist court.

Again Biden is weighing his options as to increasing the size of the Supreme Court. Mike Lee actually gave a rationale for expanding the Supreme Court but hypocritically says Democrats shouldn't do it. He does it but you better not try it. I suspect the Supreme Court will prove that it is a far right wing extremist court.
Sheldon Whitehouse did a good job of explaining how the radical right wing has been packing the federal judiciary for decades during his presentation in the Barrett coronation proceedings:

Dark Money & Barrett Nomination: The Link Between Big Polluters & the War on ACA, Roe & LGBT Rights

SEN. SHELDON WHITEHOUSE: My experience around politics is that when you find hypocrisy in the daylight, look for power in the shadows...."

"What’s behind us is now 80 cases, Mr. Chairman, 80 cases under Chief Justice Roberts that have these characteristics.
"One, they were decided (5) to 4 by a bare majority.

"Two, the 5-to-4 majority was partisan, in the sense that not one Democratic appointee joined the five. I refer to that group as the “Roberts Five....'”

"And the last characteristic of them is that there is an identifiable Republican donor interest in those cases, and in every single case, that donor interest won. …

"And it’s important to look at where those cases went, because they’re not about big public issues like getting rid of the Affordable Care Act, undoing Roe v. Wade and undoing same-sex marriage.
donors_trust.jpg

"They’re about (CORPORATE) power."

Koch-Favored DonorsTrust Keeps Funding Anti-Muslim and Anti-LGBTQ Hate Groups

Forum List

Back