Why there will always be poor people. Poverty has nothing to do with a lack of money. It's a state of mind.

We would stuff our shoes with cardboard to cover the holes until we could afford to get them 're-soled'. It was ok until it rained, then our feet would be soaked. It wasn't unusual to have a pair of shoes re-soled several times.

Imagine that! Try finding a cobbler in your city! I remember the last remaining cobbler in my neighborhood in Seattle, as recently as the mid-90's.

In my quest to be prepared for the SHTF, I have bought up the materials, tools and tutorials that will allow me to make shoes the way they used to be made. Haven't gotten much studying done, but I do have the hard copy books.

Imagine that! Try finding a cobbler in your city! I remember the last remaining cobbler in my neighborhood in Seattle, as recently as the mid-90's.

In my quest to be prepared for the SHTF, I have bought up the materials, tools and tutorials that will allow me to make shoes the way they used to be made. Haven't gotten much studying done, but I do have the hard copy books.

Out of curiosity I googled "shoe repair near me" and found three 'cobbler shops' in my city. Whodathunkit?

/----/ We still have them on Long Island. A few make custom sandals, but mostly orthopedics.

The FF listed the duty of the federal government in two sentences "To provide for the national defense". "To promote the general welfare". Somehow we reversed them in the last hundred years.

/----/ We still have them on Long Island. A few make custom sandals, but mostly orthopedics.

How fortunate you are. We NEED to maintain the old arts and keep the skills that have been sent to other countries.

America was built on the fact that Americans knew how to make things.

I also aspire to learn to create textiles at home and as many other goods as we can.

Last edited:
As long as you let people have freedom there will always be poor people.

The only way to not have poor people is to have a freedomless world with totalitarian rule where everyone is forced to be exactly the same. But the ones running the show will still have more than everyone else. You'd have to remove free will from humans.

Even cavemen had rich and poor because some would go out and hunt better and hunt more often and have more meat and more animal fur and so on.

Rich and poor have always existed because not everyone has the same potential. Very few can be Elon musk, more will be poor, and most are middle class. It's always been that way.

The idea every person is equal is a lie and untrue. Levels of potential and ambition vary. It's in our very nature and dna, it isn't some outside influence or stupid societal thing.

I could never be bill gates, bill gates could never be me, and there is some poor wretch out there that could never be me or Bill gates.

Tell that to all the people living in war torn and poverty stricken countries under corrupt leadership that all they have to do is change their state of mind to get out of the abject poverty that are mired in.

Tell that to a woman in Iran who will be beaten if she dares to try to earn her own money that all she has to do is change her mindset improve her finances
#1) Those places aren't 1st world industrialized nations, were such conditions aren't (yet) a problem.

#2) Appeal to emotion isn't an argument.

Limo liberals are content to contribute to food banks along with do-gooder conservatives but nobody wants to get at the root cause of poverty. LBJ's "Great Society" turned out to be the biggest failure in history but taxpayer money is still spent on failed social programs. We are bombarded with cliches that tell us that kids go to bed hungry but today's kids are generally obese. If a parent is too drunk or absent or too stoned to provide for his/her kids they need to be arrested.

You almost gotta laugh that Biden is importing poverty and nobody seems to notice.
Liberals notice, but they are not going to say anything because they are scared of each other.
Scared to death someone might think they are not towing the line.

Personally, I will never live like that.
And that is why I could never be a liberal.

Liberals notice, but they are not going to say anything because they are scared of each other.
Scared to death someone might think they are not towing the line.

Personally, I will never live like that.
And that is why I could never be a liberal.
Actually, we need the workforce.
Unemployment is low and it is difficult to find those who will perform menial labor

The FF listed the duty of the federal government in two sentences "To provide for the national defense". "To promote the general welfare". Somehow we reversed them in the last hundred years.
The only way the government can promote the general welfare is to encroach on the freedoms of people. Not likely to happen.

The only way the government can promote the general welfare is to encroach on the freedoms of people. Not likely to happen.
ridiculous post

A Government of the people, by the people and FOR the people

ridiculous post

A Government of the people, by the people and FOR the people
The government is like the police (they investigate crime, they don't prevent it). They are reactionary, not proactive. We need prevention more than cure.

"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure." Still true.

Forum List

Back