Why there will always be poor people. Poverty has nothing to do with a lack of money. It's a state of mind.

1708693935832.png
Squatter camp Souh Africa

There is an often-repeated formula - almost fool-proof - to get out of poverty and stay out of poverty in America: (1) get as much free education as you can accomplish (at least a HS diploma), (2) get a job - any job - and keep it, and (3) don't have babies until you are married and can afford them.

Problem solved. And the converse is also true. If you ignore these little "rules" your chances of living in endemic poverty are very "good."

Maybe in total

But there are ponds across the country that were once abundant with fish and are now barren

Those with the ability to move to another pond do so, leaving those without the resources behind.

Conservatives will point to the inner cities but it also includes rural America where once abundant forms of income have gone.

WHOOOOSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Conservatives in America - "I work hard for what I have, and so should you. If you choose not to, don't come crying to me to about why you don't have anything".

Liberals in America - "I work hard for what I have, it's ok if you don't. If you choose not to, we will take conservatives money and give it to you".

And this is why Democrats are so successful it buying votes. They managed to ruin an entire race of people by the principle above. And now are well into ruining another whole set of the population to make them as bad as the first people they ruined.
It is not compassion to stick a gun in your neighbor's side, take $100 out of his wallet and give it to a homeless guy on the sidewalk. It's not even compassion if you take $50 out of your own wallet at the same time.

There will always be poverty because poverty is relative. You are only as poor as someone else is rich. Our poor are wildly wealthy compared to the poor of the world.
My young daughter once asked me "Are we poor?". At that time, we were but she had no way of knowing it. I grew up in the 1940's when almost everyone I knew was poor. It didn't bother us as that was just life as we knew it.

I was very poor from 2010 to 2020 because I suffered from medical conditions which were going to make me a cripple. Three operations and an implant allowed me to return to work...I ate from trash cans in the early years before I started getting disability...I was also a single parent during that period. My wife left me because my income disappeared and I had assholes for relatives who claimed I was faking my health conditions....Now, I am a happy mother fucker because I can work full-time and earn a living..

Now, I know a lot of folks are shamers and shiftless but many folks are just confused and undisciplined in their lives and mistakes are made, but yous guys and yer attempts to put down black people is a shame and you should use that energy to teach them a better way to live..

My young daughter once asked me "Are we poor?". At that time, we were but she had no way of knowing it. I grew up in the 1940's when almost everyone I knew was poor. It didn't bother us as that was just life as we knew it.
Indeed, my Ma would tell me about people living in holes in the ground because they were still so poor from the 1930s.

In a book I was reading a family was so poor that they put pieces of newspaper around the windows where drafts would come in. The father was doing this chore when the son said "what do poor people do to stop the drafts when they have no newspaper?"

Now, I know a lot of folks are shamers and shiftless but many folks are just confused and undisciplined in their lives and mistakes are made, but yous guys and yer attempts to put down black people is a shame and you should use that energy to teach them a better way to live..
We have tried to give good advice, but it falls on deaf ears most of the time. People like IM2 tell us not to tell black people how to live their lives. Oh well. :(

Indeed, my Ma would tell me about people living in holes in the ground because they were still so poor from the 1930s.
Thankfully most cities were filled with large old houses that rented cheaply. I remember visiting relatives that lived in such houses and was amazed at all the room they had. These were 'flats', not apartments per se so they had an entire floor to live in. I also remember my dad pressing money into my great uncle's hand as we left from our visits.

So out of all the recipients who got a payment that probably wouldn't cover two months of my family bills, one person blew the money on a trip to Miami.

So what did the rest do?
The statement you make is true for some people. those statements were made to varying degrees when taxes were rising over the last 60 years or so in newspapers. You would always see in the paper local page... besides it's only a dollar a week average.... besides it's only a few dollars a week average.... besides its only.... The point is these taxes are part of thousands of smaller innocuous ones to major extractions from people. And they have added up. Tell the state, local and federal governments to remove the smaller ones. The poor, the working poor and the lower middle class will thank you.

In a book I was reading a family was so poor that they put pieces of newspaper around the windows where drafts would come in. The father was doing this chore when the son said "what do poor people do to stop the drafts when they have no newspaper?"
We would stuff our shoes with cardboard to cover the holes until we could afford to get them 're-soled'. It was ok until it rained, then our feet would be soaked. It wasn't unusual to have a pair of shoes re-soled several times.

Forum List

Back