Why does the government investigate sports?

kaz

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2010
Kazmania
The FBI is investigating college basketball. I certainly don't feel sorry for cheaters. As a Michigan alum and fan, this only benefits me. We don't cheat, aren't listed in any of the up to 50 schools named as suspects. We've known that we pay for that.

In 2013, Michigan lost to Louisville in the national championship game. Louisville has been stripped of that title. Michigan may end up being the only final four team that doesn't officially lose making it to the final four.

Also, remember how Lance Armstrong was stripped of his six Tour de France championships.

I don't feel bad for any of the cheaters, but why is it the job of the Federal government to investigate whether college athletes are amateurs or not? And the Tour de France? How is that possibly US Federal jurisdiction?

I don't get it

The FBI is investigating college basketball. I certainly don't feel sorry for cheaters. As a Michigan alum and fan, this only benefits me. We don't cheat, aren't listed in any of the up to 50 schools named as suspects. We've known that we pay for that.

In 2013, Michigan lost to Louisville in the national championship game. Louisville has been stripped of that title. Michigan may end up being the only final four team that doesn't officially lose making it to the final four.

Also, remember how Lance Armstrong was stripped of his six Tour de France championships.

I don't feel bad for any of the cheaters, but why is it the job of the Federal government to investigate whether college athletes are amateurs or not? And the Tour de France? How is that possibly US Federal jurisdiction?

I don't get it
Probably because some politician was betting on the team that lost so must be investigated.

I don't get it

The FBI is involved because these issues go across state lines.

In 1952 Congress passed the wire fraud statute. That statue covers most anything transmitted by means of wire, radio, or television communication in interstate commerce, which is just about everything.

So, blame it on Congress.

The FBI needs to be decommissioned immediately. Maybe give their HQ to Habitat for Humanity and do something useful with it

The FBI needs to be decommissioned immediately. Maybe give their HQ to Habitat for Humanity and do something useful with it
How about a Gun Range for Washington DC residents as the basement is already set up with about 10 lanes, just add more per level and it would be very profitable...

What once was a private affair rest assured will become public in an state like ours after the Progressive Era.

Lefties cannot leave well enough alone.

Actually, we could blame Teddy Rossevelt for the Government
being involved. In 1904 after 12 football players were killed
during games. He was on the verge of banning the sport
but liked it and met with Presidents of colleges to attempt
to clean the game up.

They formed the NCAA

I don't get it

In 1952 Congress passed the wire fraud statute. That statue covers most anything transmitted by means of wire, radio, or television communication in interstate commerce, which is just about everything.

I know you're explaining how they justify it, not defending it. So I don't mean this to you but to them. What a load of crap.

How is whether a college basketball player an amateur or not a matter for the Federal government to spend our taxpayer dollars on? And again, the Tour de France and doping? Seriously?

I don't get it

I know you're explaining how they justify it, not defending it. So I don't mean this to you but to them. What a load of crap.

How is whether a college basketball player an amateur or not a matter for the Federal government to spend our taxpayer dollars on? And again, the Tour de France and doping? Seriously?

I do see what you are saying and do not totally disagree. But on the other side of the debate, college sports is a $10 billion dollar a year in revenue business.

I don't get it

I do see what you are saying and do not totally disagree. But on the other side of the debate, college sports is a $10 billion dollar a year in revenue business.

There is no law that college athletes must be amateurs. That is an NCAA rule. 10th amendment anyone? And again, the Tour de France rules?

I don't get it

Its revenue is irrelevant. Otherwise, any organization that pays taxes could be subject to employee-management mediation from Big Brother for any reason.

I don't get it

thanks. watching trump trolls whine is like watching cotton candy spin... a lot of pretty colors, but ultimately nothing but hot air.

I don't get it

There is no law that college athletes must be amateurs. That is an NCAA rule. 10th amendment anyone? And again, the Tour de France rules?

Is that really what they are investigating? I thought it had to do with hookers and blow!

I don't get it

thanks. watching trump trolls whine is like watching cotton candy spin... a lot of pretty colors, but ultimately nothing but hot air.
And sugary goodness.

I don't get it

Its revenue is irrelevant. Otherwise, any organization that pays taxes could be subject to employee-management mediation from Big Brother for any reason.

I want the FBI to investigate why the referees from Ohio were allowed to referee the 2016 Michigan / Ohio State game. They were so biased and clearly marked our first down in overtime short, which denied us the Big Ten Championship.

Also, I went to a Chines restaurant and used a two for one coupon. There were three dishes. I wanted the middle priced one for free, they demanded I take the cheapest one for free. Where the hell was the FBI?

I don't get it

I want the FBI to investigate why the referees from Ohio were allowed to referee the 2016 Michigan / Ohio State game. They were so biased and clearly marked our first down in overtime short, which denied us the Big Ten Championship.

Also, I went to a Chines restaurant and used a two for one coupon. There were three dishes. I wanted the middle priced one for free, they demanded I take the cheapest one for free. Where the hell was the FBI?

Neither one of those cases used means of wire to go across state lines! :21:

I don't get it

So you hate time to kill between "dates?"

If you recall when democrats gained the majority in Bush's 2nd term the first thing they addressed wasn't the economy or foreign policy. Democrats held a McCarthy like hearing on steroid use in baseball while the economy was tanking. They managed to kick one pitcher out of the Hall of Fame.

I don't get it

Is that really what they are investigating? I thought it had to do with hookers and blow!

That was a different investigation

Forum List

Back