Why does the government investigate sports?

If you recall when democrats gained the majority in Bush's 2nd term the first thing they addressed wasn't the economy or foreign policy. Democrats held a McCarthy like hearing on steroid use in baseball while the economy was tanking. They managed to kick one pitcher out of the Hall of Fame.

The baseball hearing were in 2005, that year that Repubs had 55 Seats in the Senate and 231 in the House...in other words a majority in both. Your memory seems to be a bit biased.

The FBI is involved because these issues go across state lines.

In 1952 Congress passed the wire fraud statute. That statue covers most anything transmitted by means of wire, radio, or television communication in interstate commerce, which is just about everything.

So, blame it on Congress.

I know you're explaining how they justify it, not defending it. So I don't mean this to you but to them. What a load of crap.

How is whether a college basketball player an amateur or not a matter for the Federal government to spend our taxpayer dollars on? And again, the Tour de France and doping? Seriously?

I do see what you are saying and do not totally disagree. But on the other side of the debate, college sports is a $10 billion dollar a year in revenue business.

There is no law that college athletes must be amateurs. That is an NCAA rule. 10th amendment anyone? And again, the Tour de France rules?

Is that really what they are investigating? I thought it had to do with hookers and blow!

That was a different investigation

Oh, sorry! hard to keep up! :21:

The FBI is investigating college basketball. I certainly don't feel sorry for cheaters. As a Michigan alum and fan, this only benefits me. We don't cheat, aren't listed in any of the up to 50 schools named as suspects. We've known that we pay for that.

In 2013, Michigan lost to Louisville in the national championship game. Louisville has been stripped of that title. Michigan may end up being the only final four team that doesn't officially lose making it to the final four.

Also, remember how Lance Armstrong was stripped of his six Tour de France championships.

I don't feel bad for any of the cheaters, but why is it the job of the Federal government to investigate whether college athletes are amateurs or not? And the Tour de France? How is that possibly US Federal jurisdiction?

I don't get it

In 1952 Congress passed the wire fraud statute. That statue covers most anything transmitted by means of wire, radio, or television communication in interstate commerce, which is just about everything.

I know you're explaining how they justify it, not defending it. So I don't mean this to you but to them. What a load of crap.

How is whether a college basketball player an amateur or not a matter for the Federal government to spend our taxpayer dollars on? And again, the Tour de France and doping? Seriously?

I do see what you are saying and do not totally disagree. But on the other side of the debate, college sports is a $10 billion dollar a year in revenue business.
Its revenue is irrelevant. Otherwise, any organization that pays taxes could be subject to employee-management mediation from Big Brother for any reason.

In a phone conversation Thursday afternoon, Pollack explained how the college basketball scandal fell into the crosshairs of the federal government. It can ultimately be traced back to 1952, when Congress enacted the wire fraud statute. That statute expanded upon the mail fraud statute of 1872 that gave the federal authorities jurisdiction in a "very narrow" category of cases involving interstate commerce and the use of telegraphs and the U.S. Postal Service.

Prior to those statutes, the federal government rarely prosecuted crimes, instead leaving them up to the states. Over time, as modern commerce and technology has
expanded so too has the jurisdiction of the federal government, with Pollack saying it now has "the power to prosecute almost any crime" because it's a situation where "the exception swallows the rule."

*more at link*

Why the FBI is getting involved in NCAA sports

Its revenue is irrelevant. Otherwise, any organization that pays taxes could be subject to employee-management mediation from Big Brother for any reason.

I want the FBI to investigate why the referees from Ohio were allowed to referee the 2016 Michigan / Ohio State game. They were so biased and clearly marked our first down in overtime short, which denied us the Big Ten Championship.

Also, I went to a Chines restaurant and used a two for one coupon. There were three dishes. I wanted the middle priced one for free, they demanded I take the cheapest one for free. Where the hell was the FBI?

Neither one of those cases used means of wire to go across state lines! :21:

My point was that enforcing private rules isn't the job of the FBI. You swished on that one, master of rhetoric.

And while true on the second one, the first one was a national broadcast, Michigan played at Ohio State. And you don't see cross state? Seriously? I take back the master of rhetoric I just gave you

If you recall when democrats gained the majority in Bush's 2nd term the first thing they addressed wasn't the economy or foreign policy. Democrats held a McCarthy like hearing on steroid use in baseball while the economy was tanking. They managed to kick one pitcher out of the Hall of Fame.

these laws were passed in 1952 and were bi-partisan

try again, hack.

The FBI is investigating college basketball. I certainly don't feel sorry for cheaters. As a Michigan alum and fan, this only benefits me. We don't cheat, aren't listed in any of the up to 50 schools named as suspects. We've known that we pay for that.

In 2013, Michigan lost to Louisville in the national championship game. Louisville has been stripped of that title. Michigan may end up being the only final four team that doesn't officially lose making it to the final four.

Also, remember how Lance Armstrong was stripped of his six Tour de France championships.

I don't feel bad for any of the cheaters, but why is it the job of the Federal government to investigate whether college athletes are amateurs or not? And the Tour de France? How is that possibly US Federal jurisdiction?

I don't get it

In a phone conversation Thursday afternoon, Pollack explained how the college basketball scandal fell into the crosshairs of the federal government. It can ultimately be traced back to 1952, when Congress enacted the wire fraud statute. That statute expanded upon the mail fraud statute of 1872 that gave the federal authorities jurisdiction in a "very narrow" category of cases involving interstate commerce and the use of telegraphs and the U.S. Postal Service.

Prior to those statutes, the federal government rarely prosecuted crimes, instead leaving them up to the states. Over time, as modern commerce and technology has
expanded so too has the jurisdiction of the federal government, with Pollack saying it now has "the power to prosecute almost any crime" because it's a situation where "the exception swallows the rule."

*more at link*

Why the FBI is getting involved in NCAA sports

A typical lame excuse by a leftist to justify ubiquitous government. What a load of crap

I want the FBI to investigate why the referees from Ohio were allowed to referee the 2016 Michigan / Ohio State game. They were so biased and clearly marked our first down in overtime short, which denied us the Big Ten Championship.

Also, I went to a Chines restaurant and used a two for one coupon. There were three dishes. I wanted the middle priced one for free, they demanded I take the cheapest one for free. Where the hell was the FBI?

Neither one of those cases used means of wire to go across state lines! :21:

My point was that enforcing private rules isn't the job of the FBI. You swished on that one, master of rhetoric.

And while true on the second one, the first one was a national broadcast, Michigan played at Ohio State. And you don't see cross state? Seriously? I take back the master of rhetoric I just gave you

Ah man! :boo_hoo14:

try again, hack.

not to mention the hearings were in 2005 when the GOP had a pretty big majority.

try again, hack.

not to mention the hearings were in 2005 when the GOP had a pretty big majority.

facts confuse them.

try again, hack.

Laws passed 65 years ago were "bi-partisan" is an argument to you?

That's so funny. You would never in a million years say that for something you disagreed with. Flip parties, you flip sides. Then again, you spent the last hour flipping to get he best position for "John"

try again, hack.

I can't think of in any way how that's relevant even if I were a Republican instead of a libertarian.

That's your philosophy? If the GOP did it, then you're bound by it?

try again, hack.

facts confuse them.

Project much?

try again, hack.

I can't think of in any way how that's relevant even if I were a Republican instead of a libertarian.

That's your philosophy? If the GOP did it, then you're bound by it?

All I was doing was correcting the false information put out by whitehall about it being the Dems. I have this weird obsession to point out fake info when I see it

try again, hack.

facts confuse them.

Project much?

as soon as you post a fact, we'll let you know.

or did the information about the law being passed in the 50's confuse pathologically lying trumpflakes?

I don't get it

There are federal laws governing universities, like every other place.

Forum List

Back