Why does gravity "attract"?

RWS

Gold Member
Sep 24, 2013
Not a simple question. And, based on my theory, not a simple answer...

But the reason why is motion. And only motion. Without motion, there would not be this attraction effect caused by the warpature of space that mass creates.

I have much more to say about it, and it gets to some really crazy subjects such as time-travel, but this is a theory I have been putting forth for a very long time.

The classic example of putting a bowling ball on a trampoline or rubber sheet, and rolling some marbles around it.... ONLY works because it is being done on the Earth. If that example is done in space, the marbles just go in a straight line from where they were thrown.

That example is completely flawed. It takes a new understanding of warpature by mass, and how the motion of that mass can create the illusion of "gravity". Because, it is an illusion. There is no "gravitron" or sub-atomic particle that controls this. It's basic science, that we have thought too much about.

Mass does warp space. But that in itself does not create an attraction. Think of a vacuum cleaner standing still, vs a vacuum cleaner moving along a carpet.

If you're a dog-hair on the carpet, and far enough from the standing vacuum-cleaner, you're totally safe! No matter how long that vacuum cleaner sucks, you're good!

But if that vacuum cleaner starts moving towards you, you better get off ur butt and start moving away at the same pace. Otherwise you will be sucked in.

I'm getting tired, and I have so many parallels, but the point is that without motion, the sensation of "gravity" does not exist. It requires motion. And this gets a lot deeper, to the big bang, but I'll leave it as is for now.

Gravity is an illusion, caused by warpature and motion.

The universe travels in a straight line.

Last edited:
Mebbe it's a form of magnetism.

Is time linear or can it 'fold' on itself?

But the reason why is motion. And only motion. Without motion, there would not be this attraction effect caused by the warpature of space that mass creates.

I have much more to say about it, and it gets to some really crazy subjects such as time-travel, but this is a theory I have been putting forth for a very long time.

The classic example of putting a bowling ball on a trampoline or rubber sheet, and rolling some marbles around it.... ONLY works because it is being done on the Earth. If that example is done in space, the marbles just go in a straight line from where they were thrown.

That example is completely flawed. It takes a new understanding of warpature by mass, and how the motion of that mass can create the illusion of "gravity". Because, it is an illusion. There is no "gravitron" or sub-atomic particle that controls this. It's basic science, that we have thought too much about.

Mass does warp space. But that in itself does not create an attraction. Think of a vacuum cleaner standing still, vs a vacuum cleaner moving along a carpet.

If you're a dog-hair on the carpet, and far enough from the standing vacuum-cleaner, you're totally safe! No matter how long that vacuum cleaner sucks, you're good!

But if that vacuum cleaner starts moving towards you, you better get off ur butt and start moving away at the same pace. Otherwise you will be sucked in.

I'm getting tired, and I have so many parallels, but the point is that without motion, the sensation of "gravity" does not exist. It requires motion. And this gets a lot deeper, to the big bang, but I'll leave it as is for now.

I'll take Einstein's theory (the candied version I can digest) until you get he rough edges off yours.

Strictly speaking, there are no straight lines. The trampoline example would work in space just like on the Earth, but the curves would be hard to notice without instrumentation.

Any static frame used as an example will demonstrate the same principle. A massive object attracts other objects, even light, whether they seem to be moving or not. Reason perhaps is nothing's ever stationary. The universe is expanding causing any object withint in to 'slide' against the fabric of space-time. As with the yanking a tablecloth off a table leaving the objects in place on the table. The objects slid against the fabric. Just as object liek stars and planets slide against the fabric of the universe as it expands. Then galaxies are in motion relative to this expansion. Milky Way and Andromeda are in motion towards each other for instance. Then individual solar systems too are moving around the center of the galaxy. And planets around their host stars. Continents moving relative to the planet (our's at least does.) And of course all molecular motion continues until Ab Zero. Nothing's ever stationary.

Gravity doesn't actually pull objects towards the source. As they know now it's pushing. But that's above my paygrade and the caffeine hasn't kicked in yet so not gonna try and explain that. :)

• Banned
The trampoline example does not work in space. Yes, the bowling ball creates a warpature, but without motion, the marble will not get drawn towards the center.

Imagine a hose with a huge mouth, under water.... If that hose lies dead under water, nothing is drawn into its tip. But move that hose, and things will start to get sucked in. Put a screen on the tip of that hose, and move it along the ocean, and things will start to get stuck to that screen. Only because of the motion. The screen is matter. It keeps us from being sucked into the center of the earth. As that hose moves along, we will be stuck to the screen. That is what we perceive as "gravity". It is just an illusion of warpature and motion. And it requires space-time to have "friction". Some sort of "ether". Maybe that's dark matter, but we'll get there...

But stop that motion, in terms of the initial motion of the universe... and everything will dissipate. Everything falls off the screen on the hose without motion.

And everything in the universe travels in a straight line. The orbits of planets and galaxies is an illusion created by the way we observe them. They're all travelling in a straight line, at an angle from its star, and it creates this illusion of "going around the sun".

Draw a straight line on a piece of paper, left to right. It is a straight line! Now cone that paper, and imagine the narrow end of that cone is the sun. As the sun moves along, we're following the warpature it caused. But we're still travelling in a straight line! The paper doesn't lie! : -)

The trampoline example does not work in space. Yes, the bowling ball creates a warpature, but without motion, the marble will not get drawn towards the center.

Imagine a hose with a huge mouth, under water.... If that hose lies dead under water, nothing is drawn into its tip. But move that hose, and things will start to get sucked in. Put a screen on the tip of that hose, and move it along the ocean, and things will start to get stuck to that screen. Only because of the motion. The screen is matter. It keeps us from being sucked into the center of the earth. As that hose moves along, we will be stuck to the screen. That is what we perceive as "gravity". It is just an illusion of warpature and motion. And it requires space-time to have "friction". Some sort of "ether". Maybe that's dark matter, but we'll get there...

But stop that motion, in terms of the initial motion of the universe... and everything will dissipate. Everything falls off the screen on the hose without motion.

It's all because of the "Big Bang!" Everything is still moving and consequently everything has a weight and a speed in the universe relative to everything else in the universe. On the moon we would weigh so much less we could jump 50 feet.

We don't go around the sun. We simply race ahead of it, fast enough to not get sucked in.

It's all because of the "Big Bang!" Everything is still moving and consequently everything has a weight and a speed in the universe relative to everything else in the universe. On the moon we would weigh so much less we could jump 50 feet.

It's all definitely moving!

But what if movement for an object stopped? In terms of the universe. Think about it.

Movement creates the attraction force for all matter. Without movement, everything would dissapate into fundamental particles, until the formed again.

If two black holes collide, movement may temporarily stop, and all that matter that is drawn in there, can be instantaneously released. A Big Bang. And then the movement starts again, and the illusion of gravity starts over.

So let's say I've got this really long rubber rug... You're standing 100 ft from me. I'm the Sun, you are the Earth.

I pull on that rug really hard because I'm the Sun. I stretch it all around me.

But you're the Earth 100 feet away. You barely feel my tug.

I can pull with all the might my mass allows, but anything that is not instantly sucked in, stays where it is.

Now... let's say i start moving towards the Earth, and pulling that rug as I go.

Suddenly, the Earth needs to start moving away from me, or else I'll pull it in. In order to maintain a stable distance, it has to move away from me at a pace that will keep things equal. And since we observe that we go around the sun, that means we are travelling at an angle to the sun, as it warps the space around us. And it means we're travelling faster than the sun, in terms of the universe.

This is important, because it means something when we use this same example for stars near a black hole.

So let's say I've got this really long rubber rug... You're standing 100 ft from me. I'm the Sun, you are the Earth.

I pull on that rug really hard because I'm the Sun. I stretch it all around me.

But you're the Earth 100 feet away. You barely feel my tug.

I can pull with all the might my mass allows, but anything that is not instantly sucked in, stays where it is.

Now... let's say i start moving towards the Earth, and pulling that rug as I go.

Suddenly, the Earth needs to start moving away from me, or else I'll pull it in. In order to maintain a stable distance, it has to move away from me at a pace that will keep things equal. And since we observe that we go around the sun, that means we are travelling at an angle to the sun, as it warps the space around us. And it means we're travelling faster than the sun, in terms of the universe.

This is important, because it means something when we use this same example for stars near a black hole.

Don't sell the bike shop yet Orville.

There's an effect from gravity on things much further away than you seem to think. We're being effected by the supermassive black hole at the center of the galaxy here on the outskirts of the galaxy. Our Sun is effecting the asteroid belt 2 light years away, the Ort Cloud. That's halfway to the next solar system.

There's a gravitational effect whether it seems to be effected or not.

Draw a straight line on a piece of paper, left to right. It is a straight line! Now cone that paper, and imagine the narrow end of that cone is the sun. As the sun moves along, we're following the warpature it caused. But we're still travelling in a straight line! The paper doesn't lie! : -)

:eusa_eh:
When you curl the paper that line is no longer straight...so your saying the universe is some sort of giant curvature? And if you was to flatten out that shape...all of the motions would become straight lines.
Ok...let's say that is true. Here's where your problem lies...no matter what curve you would create that has straight lines on it...the lines would either have to be moving away or towards each other. Unless practically everything in the universe is traveling in parallel lines, or nearly parallel. And if so, what is attracting them all...and why are they moving at near the same precise speed regardless of mass?

And everything in the universe travels in a straight line. The orbits of planets and galaxies is an illusion created by the way we observe them. They're all travelling in a straight line, at an angle from its star, and it creates this illusion of "going around the sun".

LOL!! So you believe the earth isn't rotating around the sun every 365 days?

Forum List

Back