Why do so many Atheist and Christians misunderstand what Hell really is ?

I see it all the time the threat of a loving and just God is literally gonna torment people in fire for the rest of eternity. Why can't people see that it is not literal torment. The torment is being cut off from God ,death cuts us off from God.

Hell is the world of the dead nothing is alive in Hell. I know you will post all your scriptures that make it look like that all people that go to Hell will be tormented but what about the scriptures that show otherwise ?

Do we need to keep the word of God free of contradiction ?

Warning if you post the scriptures that show torment i will post a key scripture that shows what Hell and the lake of fire truly are. So post if you must but what i am looking for is give me your reasons why you believe a loving and just God would torment his children for eternity ? show me how that view goes along with God being loving and just ?
So basically you are saying that hell is the nothingness Atheists say is what happens after death.

Yes a state of sleep.

Joh 11:1 And there was a certain sick one, Lazarus of Bethany, the town of Mary and her sister Martha.
Joh 11:2 (And it was that Mary who anointed the Lord with ointment and wiped His feet with her hair, whose brother Lazarus was sick.)
Joh 11:3 Then his sisters sent to Him, saying, Lord, behold, he whom You love is sick.
Joh 11:4 When Jesus heard, He said, This sickness is not to death, but for the glory of God, so that the Son of God might be glorified by it.
Joh 11:5 And Jesus loved Martha and her sister and Lazarus.
Joh 11:6 Therefore, when He had heard that he was sick, then indeed He remained two days in the place where He was.
Joh 11:7 Then after that He said to the disciples, Let us go into Judea again.
Joh 11:8 The disciples said to Him, Rabbi, the Jews lately have sought to stone You, and do You go there again?
Joh 11:9 Jesus answered, Are there not twelve hours in the day? If anyone walks in the day, he does not stumble because he sees the light of the world.
Joh 11:10 But if anyone walks in the night, he stumbles because there is no light in him.
Joh 11:11 He said these things; and after that He said to them, Our friend Lazarus sleeps. But I go so that I may awaken him out of sleep.
Joh 11:12 Then His disciples said, Lord, if he sleeps, he will get well.
Joh 11:13 But Jesus spoke of his death, but they thought that He had spoken of taking rest in sleep.
Joh 11:14 Then Jesus said to them plainly, Lazarus is dead.

I see it all the time the threat of a loving and just God is literally gonna torment people in fire for the rest of eternity. Why can't people see that it is not literal torment. The torment is being cut off from God ,death cuts us off from God.

Hell is the world of the dead nothing is alive in Hell. I know you will post all your scriptures that make it look like that all people that go to Hell will be tormented but what about the scriptures that show otherwise ?

Do we need to keep the word of God free of contradiction ?

Warning if you post the scriptures that show torment i will post a key scripture that shows what Hell and the lake of fire truly are. So post if you must but what i am looking for is give me your reasons why you believe a loving and just God would torment his children for eternity ? show me how that view goes along with God being loving and just ?
There is a literal hell. The Bible does say that. The scripture refering a seperation from God is refering to life here on earth. When you live a life separated from God is a termed as hell, not the physical hell of eternity. I hope I have helped you in not misrepresenting the Bible.

Explain then why the lake of fire is called the second death and not a place of torment ? And why death and helll are cast into the lake of fire ?

Rev 20:14 And death and hell were cast into the Lake of Fire. This is the second death.
Rev 20:15 And if anyone was not found having been written in the Book of Life, he was cast into the Lake of Fire.

So are they gonna be put death being cast into the lake of fire or are they gonna be tormented.

Anyone who teaches that God will torment people forever are ignorant of the scriptures and should not speak on the subject because you offend the creator not to mention drive people away from God by making him look sadistic.
Heb 9:27* And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:

And who claims that there is torment forever?

Many Christians and atheists refer to this verse.

Rev 20:10 And the Devil who deceived them was cast into the Lake of Fire and Brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet were . And he will be tormented day and night forever and ever.
But more refer to this parable:

Mat 13: 36* Then Jesus sent the multitude away, and went into the house: and his disciples came unto him, saying, Declare unto us the parable of the tares of the field.
37 He answered and said unto them, He that soweth the good seed is the Son of man;
38 The field is the world; the good seed are the children of the kingdom; but the tares are the children of the wicked one;
39 The enemy that sowed them is the devil; the harvest is the end of the world; and the reapers are the angels.
40 As therefore the tares are gathered and burned in the fire; so shall it be in the end of this world.

41 The Son of man shall send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity;
42 And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.

43 Then shall the righteous shine forth as the sun in the kingdom of their Father. Who hath ears to hear, let him hear.

Being cast into fire might hurt a little before death but everything cast in to the fire will be no more it will be destroyed.

Mat 7:13 Go in through the narrow gate, for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and many there are who go in through it.
Mat 7:14 Because narrow is the gate and constricted is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it

1Th 5:2 For you yourselves know accurately that the day of the Lord comes like a thief in the night.
1Th 5:3 For when they shall say, Peace and safety! Then sudden destruction comes on them, as travail upon a woman with child. And they shall not escape.

It's very clear by studying the scriptures God will not torment but he will put to death.

2Th 1:9 who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His power,

Heaven goes by favor; if it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. ~Mark Twain

He also said

Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company. ~Mark Twain

Warning if you post the scriptures that show torment i will post a key scripture that shows what Hell and the lake of fire truly are.
You should probably just get it over with and do it. Really, you should have done it in the first place.

give me your reasons why you believe a loving and just God would torment his children for eternity ?
Because he's anything but. Yahweh is a cruel, sadistic fuck that loves death and destruction. He craves it so much, that he commands his people to do it. Just look at his "holy land", and tell me if that's the work of a loving creator god.
And you are a pea brained fool.

Obviously, you've never read the Bible.

Rev 20:10 And the Devil who deceived them was cast into the Lake of Fire and Brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet were . And he will be tormented day and night forever and ever.

Mat 13: 36* Then Jesus sent the multitude away, and went into the house: and his disciples came unto him, saying, Declare unto us the parable of the tares of the field.
37 He answered and said unto them, He that soweth the good seed is the Son of man;
38 The field is the world; the good seed are the children of the kingdom; but the tares are the children of the wicked one;
39 The enemy that sowed them is the devil; the harvest is the end of the world; and the reapers are the angels.
40 As therefore the tares are gathered and burned in the fire; so shall it be in the end of this world.

41 The Son of man shall send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity;
42 And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.

43 Then shall the righteous shine forth as the sun in the kingdom of their Father. Who hath ears to hear, let him hear.

Being cast into fire might hurt a little before death but everything cast in to the fire will be no more it will be destroyed.

Mat 7:13 Go in through the narrow gate, for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and many there are who go in through it.
Mat 7:14 Because narrow is the gate and constricted is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it

1Th 5:2 For you yourselves know accurately that the day of the Lord comes like a thief in the night.
1Th 5:3 For when they shall say, Peace and safety! Then sudden destruction comes on them, as travail upon a woman with child. And they shall not escape.

It's very clear by studying the scriptures God will not torment but he will put to death.

2Th 1:9 who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His power,
So again, death will be the nothingness Atheists predicted and expect.

There is a literal hell. The Bible does say that. The scripture refering a seperation from God is refering to life here on earth. When you live a life separated from God is a termed as hell, not the physical hell of eternity. I hope I have helped you in not misrepresenting the Bible.

Explain then why the lake of fire is called the second death and not a place of torment ? And why death and helll are cast into the lake of fire ?

Rev 20:14 And death and hell were cast into the Lake of Fire. This is the second death.
Rev 20:15 And if anyone was not found having been written in the Book of Life, he was cast into the Lake of Fire.

So are they gonna be put death being cast into the lake of fire or are they gonna be tormented.

Anyone who teaches that God will torment people forever are ignorant of the scriptures and should not speak on the subject because you offend the creator not to mention drive people away from God by making him look sadistic.
Heb 9:27* And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:

Most will die only before judgment day.

But they will be resurrected for judgment where many will die again.

Joh 5:29 and shall come forth, those who have done good to the resurrection of life, and those who have practiced evil to the resurrection of condemnation.

The ones that are judged and their names not found in the lambs book of life they are cast in to the lake of fire the second death..

You need to study scripture a little more.

Luke 16: 19* ¶ There was a certain rich man, which was clothed in purple and fine linen, and fared sumptuously every day:
20* And there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, which was laid at his gate, full of sores,
21* And desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man’s table: moreover the dogs came and licked his sores.
22* And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham’s bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried;
23 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
24 And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.
25 But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented.
26 And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence.
27 Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father’s house:
28 For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment.

Last edited:

So again, death will be the nothingness Atheists predicted and expect.

Yes, along with many Hebrews and Christians.

Luke 16: 19* ¶ There was a certain rich man, which was clothed in purple and fine linen, and fared sumptuously every day:
20* And there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, which was laid at his gate, full of sores,
21* And desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man’s table: moreover the dogs came and licked his sores.
22* And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham’s bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried;
23 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
24 And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.
25 But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented.
26 And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence.
27 Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father’s house:
28 For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment.

I have demonstrated to you these torments are not literal pain ,the dead are conscious of nothing it is like a state of sleep.

You see, if you had a better understanding of the scriptures you would have understood my message.

Joh 5:29 and shall come forth, those who have done good to the resurrection of life, and those who have practiced evil to the resurrection of condemnation.

The ones that are judged and their names not found in the lambs book of life they are cast in to the lake of fire the second death..

I didn't see the word "most" in the passage I cited. What happens to people who add to the word of God?

I have demonstrated to you these torments are not literal pain ,the dead are conscious of nothing it is like a state of sleep.

You see, if you had a better understanding of the scriptures you would have understood my message.
I understand you are not God and therefore YOUR message is not GOD's message!!!

Last edited:

Since the bible is fiction, it really doesn’t matter.

Insult him all you want. He's not wrong.

True. One can’t be ‘wrong’ about something that doesn’t exist.

In the foretold zombie apocalypse.

Israel still has no temple and you believe the covenant he made with Israel has not been broken ?
I honestly don't give a fuck about his covenants. Yahweh was never about peace, coexistence, or compassion. Not only does he exterminate the non-believers as he wishes, he also imposes harsh punishments (mostly painful death) for infractions of his law. What the fuck is so loving and merciful about that? He makes Vlad Tepes look like a harmless boyscout.

Yes he is gonna ridd the earth of the ones he see's as evil what is sadistic about that ?
Everything. It's called extermination; most people frown upon genocide.

If man has laws and they're broken and we punish the offender is that sadistic ?
Pretty sure cops won't throw you into an everlasting fire for being gay, being the wrong religion, stealing, lying, or blasphemy.

Is what the United States are doing to terrorists sadistic ?
Some of it, yes, but you'll never see me condone, or defend torture, or the actions of the CIA, in the case of their 'black sites'. What's your point?

Let me help you here once again you take a metaphor as literal.

Jesus was the first born from the dead and enter heaven.

Col 1:18 And He is the Head of the body, the church, who is the Beginning, the First-born from the dead, that He may be pre-eminent in all things.

Rev 1:5 even from Jesus Christ the faithful Witness, the First-born from the dead and the Ruler of the kings of the earth. To Him who loved us and washed us from our sins in His own blood,

How do i know what you quoted was a metaphor and not literal. Jesus was the first to be resurrected from the dead to eternal life and lazarus and abraham could not be in heaven because that would mean they were raised from the dead and entered heaven for eternal life.

Nope sorry that was a metaphor you might want to study the scriptures a little more.

I am curious though why are you arguing with the one that agrees with you about the condition of the dead ? Maybe because your belief requires you to see God as sadistic so you don't feel guilty in not accepting him as real and loving but just in his ways ?

I didn't see the word "most" in the passage I cited. What happens to people who add to the word of God?

Well how many people do you think has passed away in 6,000 years ? Read revelations many are soon to die before judgment day.

You guys work on your anger, i have to run to the store and i will discuss this with you when i return if you can be respectful.

I guess with the idea of a physical hell, I'm having a hard time understanding how I'm going to feel any pain (or anything at all for that matter) without nerves and a brain. Someone who believes in infinite torture care to explain?

I guess a loving God prescribes infinite punishment for finite transgressions.

But he loves you.

Eternal death to those who choose poorly.

Thanks for proving my point.

Well how many people do you think has passed away in 6,000 years ? Read revelations many are soon to die before judgment day.

Homo sapiens have existed long before the Bible, and will continue to do so after it.

Let me help you here once again you take a metaphor as literal.

Jesus was the first born from the dead and enter heaven.

Col 1:18 And He is the Head of the body, the church, who is the Beginning, the First-born from the dead, that He may be pre-eminent in all things.

Rev 1:5 even from Jesus Christ the faithful Witness, the First-born from the dead and the Ruler of the kings of the earth. To Him who loved us and washed us from our sins in His own blood,

How do i know what you quoted was a metaphor and not literal. Jesus was the first to be resurrected from the dead to eternal life andlazarus and abraham could not be in heaven because that would mean they were raised from the dead and entered heaven for eternal life.

Nope sorry that was a metaphor you might want to study the scriptures a little more.

I am curious though why are you arguing with the one that agrees with you about the condition of the dead ? Maybe because your belief requires you to see God as sadistic so you don't feel guilty in not accepting him as real and loving but just in his ways ?
Mat 8:11* And I say unto you, That many shall come from the east and west, and shall sit down with Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, in the kingdom of heaven.
12* But the children of the kingdom shall be cast out into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Forum List

Back