Why are there so many job vacancies?

jwoodie

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2012
I am noticing short staffing, reduced services and/or earlier closing times at nearly every business I patronize. Why is this? I understand that we have a low unemployment rate, but we also have a low labor participation rate. Where have all the workers gone?

Just think if we did what many pretend to support and deported 10 million of the work force.

I am noticing short staffing, reduced services and/or earlier closing times at nearly every business I patronize. Why is this? I understand that we have a low unemployment rate, but we also have a low labor participation rate. Where have all the workers gone?

With our schools teaching kids that they are victims and the media drumming home the same notion, we have created a whole generation that does not value hard work and achievement.

So many have been brought into only go out if you have to or you will die from the virus. Many have the idea that anything below one million a year in salary is beneath them. Many are upset that entry level jobs do not pay $50.00 an hour. Some believe that only the illegals should work, they should be in charge.

And yes I have exaggerated slightly. But the answer is still correct.

Don't forget the capitalist principle of 'supply and demand'. It applies here too.
The pay being offered for the jobs that go unfilled, isn't adequate and so the supply of workers no longer meets the demand. Note: the people don't consider the pay to be adequate.

Higher wages just makes America more non-viable.
Illegal aliens make America more viable.

This is where history tells us that wars of aggression are the only answer.

Further explanations for anyone who asks.

When companies fail to value workers, the people will no longer value work.

But there are several factors at play here. At the entry level it is really a matter of pay. Why work for McDonalds or Walmart at less than $15 an hour when you can run a side hustle and make $25 or more. Here I am talking Uber, Doordash, Grubhub, and others.

Then there is Youtube channels, Tik Tok videos, Facebook pages. It is not that young people don't have a work ethic, it is they are smart and value their independence. The Millennials are getting ready to control the market, wrestling it away from the Boomers, the entire landscape is changing and Covid only accelerated the process. For instance, why drive to the local understaffed, woefully stocked Walmart that probably doesn't have what you are looking for on the shelf. Whose workers look as enthused as prisoners making license plates and hell, you got to wait in line to ring up your own purchases. Sit at home in your boxers, tap your cell phone a few times, and the next day your item arrives delivered directly to your front door.

The LFPR is not really all that low. In June of 2019 we were at 62.9 and today we are at 62.2.

There are a few reasons. Some have to do with the companies and some with the people.

One of the side effects of what took place during COVID is that people are less wiling to do shit jobs for even shitter wages. People were able to cash out during the good times of the market and retire. Families learned how to make it on one salary so many with kids are not going back to work.

Also, there are a lot of stupid rules out there. My son is 20 with a CDL and graduated lineman school. He cannot find a job using either because he is 20 and company insurance will not allow a company to ensure someone under 21. Plus his CDL is only good in one state at a time due to being 20.

People are refusing to work. There was a long, LONG line at the grocery store, with only two checkers open, out of 20 lanes. When it was finally my turn, I asked why they don’t hire more workers. The checker, an older man around 60ish, said the younger people don’t want to work.

The jobs are now paying $17 an hour to move items over a scanner, but people still won’t do it. Too much government assistance provides options.

Don't forget the capitalist principle of 'supply and demand'. It applies here too.
The pay being offered for the jobs that go unfilled, isn't adequate and so the supply of workers no longer meets the demand. Note: the people don't consider the pay to be adequate.

Higher wages just makes America more non-viable.
Illegal aliens make America more viable.

This is where history tells us that wars of aggression are the only answer.

Further explanations for anyone who asks.
It’s adequate for low-skilled work, where a couple combined can earn $70,000. That will cover a modest apartment, groceries, and other basics.

The problem is that it’s hard for employers to compete with Santa Claus (Uncle Sam) and still turn a profit.

It’s adequate for low-skilled work, where a couple combined can earn $70,000. That will cover a modest apartment, groceries, and other basics.

The problem is that it’s hard for employers to compete with Santa Claus (Uncle Sam) and still turn a profit.
Yes, it's hard for employers to compete with Santa's guv'munt, and they fail to do that. That's what makes America unviable.

The jobs that aren't filled don't pay an attractive enough wage. It doesn't matter what excuse you come up with to deny it.

It's always going to be the same slow death of greedy capitalism where the very rich capitalists stiff the people.

That's why China has come up with innovative new ways to make capitalism work.
And that's what Americans won't learn to accept and the reason why America is trying to take out the competition from Russia and China.

Yes, it's hard for employers to compete with Santa's guv'munt, and they fail to do that. That's what makes America unviable.

The jobs that aren't filled don't pay an attractive enough wage. It doesn't matter what excuse you come up with to deny it.

It's always going to be the same slow death of greedy capitalism where the very rich capitalists stiff the people.

That's why China has come up with innovative new ways to make capitalism work.
And that's what Americans won't learn to accept and the reason why America is trying to take out the competition from Russia and China.
No, the jobs that aren’t filled are for ones that require no skills, no education, and can be learned before lunch the first day. They’ve already raised the rate from around $11 around here pre-pandemic to $17 an hour now - a 50% wage hike - and still, no takers. That’s because the government is so generous with slackers that it is more appealing for them to just live off OPM.

The other thing exacerbating it is there is no shame. Going on “relief” (a more apt word) was seen as a last resort when there were no other options, not a respected lifestyle choice.

No, the jobs that aren’t filled are for ones that require no skills, no education, and can be learned before lunch the first day. They’ve already raised the rate from around $11 around here pre-pandemic to $17 an hour now - a 50% wage hike - and still, no takers. That’s because the government is so generous with slackers that it is more appealing for them to just live off OPM.

The other thing exacerbating it is there is no shame. Going on “relief” (a more apt word) was seen as a last resort when there were no other options, not a respected lifestyle choice.
You don't have to make your case with me Lisa. No matter how much you dance around it, the people don't want the jobs.

No shame, no respect for you, and they just don't see the wage offered as enough.

And don't give me your bullshit lies about 15 and 17 bucks being offered for all those jobs.
Except Southern Cal where you still get fkd with 17 bucks an hour.

You don't have to make your case with me Lisa. No matter how much you dance around it, the people don't want the jobs.

No shame, no respect for you, and they just don't see the wage offered as enough.

And don't give me your bullshit lies about 15 and 17 bucks being offered for all those jobs.
Except Southern Cal where you still get fkd with 17 bucks an hour.
They don’t want the jobs because they have options to live off other people’s money. Take away the handouts, and they will be forced to work for a living.

And the $17 an hour is local, so don’t give me your bullshit about California. Here, a young couple in their early 20s with nothing more than high school diplomas could each get a job at Target, and with the signing bonus (I think it’s $5000 each), their income for the year would be $80,000. After taxes, that’s around $5000 a month - just about what I live on.

That amount allows them to rent a decent apartment, put groceries on the table, and gas in the tank. Of course, Biden is making that more difficult as he tries to put that out of reach.

They don’t want the jobs because they have options to live off other people’s money. Take away the handouts, and they will be forced to work for a living.

And the $17 an hour is local, so don’t give me your bullshit about California. Here, a young couple in their early 20s with nothing more than high school diplomas could each get a job at Target, and with the signing bonus (I think it’s $5000 each), their income for the year would be $80,000. After taxes, that’s around $5000 a month - just about what I live on.

That amount allows them to rent a decent apartment, put groceries on the table, and gas in the tank. Of course, Biden is making that more difficult as he tries to put that out of reach.
25% of Americans work for 10 bucks an hour or less. Go play.

25% of Americans work for 10 bucks an hour or less. Go play.
That must be in poorer rural areas where you can rent an two-bedroom apartment for $800. At $20,000 a year, you can afford a $400 a month, shared.

Or, you could get develop some job skills that make you more valuable to employers.

Extra UE benefits ended a looooooong time ago. I blame the businesses themselves fully, 100 percent their fault if they can't find workers. Who is going to work for 20 grand per year? People shouldn't show up for that.

Extra UE benefits ended a looooooong time ago. I blame the businesses themselves fully, 100 percent their fault if they can't find workers. Who is going to work for 20 grand per year? People shouldn't show up for that.
Then people need to learn a skill that makes them valuable to employers. Besides, the $10 an hour jobs are mostly part-time, allowing a student or a spouse to make a little money. VERY few full-time jobs pay $20,000, or if they do, they are entry level and people move up from there.

Right now, the grocery store is paying checkers $17 an hour to scan products and put them in bags OR the customer can scan his own products and put them in a bag himself. Just how much do you expect employers to pay workers to do stuff the customer is doing?

Also, you have no concept of how things work. The more money an employer pays for unskilled work, the higher he has to raise prices. inflation is bad enough as it is.

Forum List

Back