Why are poorer people dumb?

But, but, but.....I have 3 PhD's, 4 offshore accounts worth millions each, top member of Mensa with 300iq and I shop at Walmart all the time.....and I have a friend that is unemployed due to mental health issues and receives welfare, and shops the Farmer's markets, Trader Joe's and Whole Foods.....

yes, I'm being sarcastic to make a point. Level of intelligence has nothing to do with financial status or where you spend your money. I've met several people with college degrees that are dumber than a box of rocks for common sense. I've also met many 'po white trash' that had higher IQ's than others in a higher standard of living. Both rich & poor, smart & challenged shop both types of places. So none are really comparable

Many people make the mistake of equating intelligence with various prejudices about personal worth, ethics, etc.

Smart = Good
Smart people = Good people
Smart people actions = Good people actions
Smart people tastes = Correct tastes

This classic example of reverse prejudice ends up leading people to automatically cast judgements about people's intelligence based on factors that have no relation to their intelligence. If you work in a low level job, you can't be intelligent. If you were, you would have done something better with your life. You would have worked harder to accomplish more. You would have found a way, even though nobody else can seem to figure out what that way should have been. Anything about your personality that invokes a prejudice of "lowly" tastes, interests, or preferences ends up leading to prejudices about intelligence.

It's really quite damaging, but most people just can't get it through their thick skulls. And so, the notion festers.

Because they can't go to school due to having to find some kind of work to feed the family?

Actually, that presumes a rather horrible falsehood. Specifically, the idea that education equals intelligence. They're entirely separate.

As they say on the Venn diagram; a significant overlap.

Greg

:lol: You've just shown that you're neither educated nor intelligent. Really, it's enough to defeat your statement by pointing out that correlation does not imply causation. But that's what I did in my first post, and you didn't seem to catch the drift. So I guess I'm going to have to break it down for you and your fellow mouth breathers.

Let's examine your claim.

By definition, 50% are at least average intelligence, or above. Furthermore, about 70% of people fall within the "average range" as the bell curve graphs. This leaves about 15% who fall in the "above" range, and 15% in the "below range. This gives us two options: 1) Consider "intelligent" to only apply to those above the average range, which would mean that 85% of the population is unintelligent; 2) Consider "intelligent" to include the average range as well as the "above" range. That means that 85% of the population are intelligent.

Either way, your attempt to proclaim some kind of point fails. If we accept such an overlap, then the coincidence becomes meaningless. All it amounts to is saying that most people are intelligent, and most people are educated. Which has about as much significance as pointing out that most people have homes and most people have two kidneys.

On the other hand, if we take the former scenario, very few people are intelligent. Thus, in order for your claim to be true, we should only have approximately 15% of population with a college education. Since in fact a solid 40% of the American population has a college degree, your claim is still false.
The options are poor, educated and intelligent. So you have non-intelligent poor, non-intelligent educated and the middle is occupied by the intelligent poor and intelligent educated. Now do tell me why you can't understand what is obvious to a junior schooler??

You've just shown that you're neither educated nor intelligent.

What a silly thing to say. Have I upset you in the past?? You seem very forgettable.

Greg

But, but, but.....I have 3 PhD's, 4 offshore accounts worth millions each, top member of Mensa with 300iq and I shop at Walmart all the time.....and I have a friend that is unemployed due to mental health issues and receives welfare, and shops the Farmer's markets, Trader Joe's and Whole Foods.....

yes, I'm being sarcastic to make a point. Level of intelligence has nothing to do with financial status or where you spend your money. I've met several people with college degrees that are dumber than a box of rocks for common sense. I've also met many 'po white trash' that had higher IQ's than others in a higher standard of living. Both rich & poor, smart & challenged shop both types of places. So none are really comparable

Many people make the mistake of equating intelligence with various prejudices about personal worth, ethics, etc.

Smart = Good
Smart people = Good people
Smart people actions = Good people actions
Smart people tastes = Correct tastes

This classic example of reverse prejudice ends up leading people to automatically cast judgements about people's intelligence based on factors that have no relation to their intelligence. If you work in a low level job, you can't be intelligent. If you were, you would have done something better with your life. You would have worked harder to accomplish more. You would have found a way, even though nobody else can seem to figure out what that way should have been. Anything about your personality that invokes a prejudice of "lowly" tastes, interests, or preferences ends up leading to prejudices about intelligence.

It's really quite damaging, but most people just can't get it through their thick skulls. And so, the notion festers.

Did you only recently discover this??

Greg

The options are poor, educated and intelligent.

:lmao:

What? Where did you get that from? Stop trying to change your terms just because you got spanked.

So you have non-intelligent poor, non-intelligent educated and the middle is occupied by the intelligent poor and intelligent educated. Now do tell me why you can't understand what is obvious to a junior schooler??

:lol:

The funny thing is that you don't even see how much of a fail that is.

You started out proposing a two term Venn Diagram with allegedly a high amount of overlap. You're now trying to claim a three term Venn Diagram, and claiming two areas of overlap. Here's a pro-tip for you: A three term Venn Diagram has four areas of overlap. :lol:

If you're going to try to logic with me, you're going to have to step up to a much higher level.

What? Where did you get that from? Stop trying to change your terms just because you got spanked.

So you have non-intelligent poor, non-intelligent educated and the middle is occupied by the intelligent poor and intelligent educated. Now do tell me why you can't understand what is obvious to a junior schooler??

You started out proposing a two term Venn Diagram with allegedly a high amount of overlap. You're now trying to claim a three term Venn Diagram, and claiming two areas of overlap. Here's a pro-tip for you: A three term Venn Diagram has four areas of overlap. :lol:

If you're going to try to logic with me, you're going to have to step up to a much higher level.
Now let me get this straight. I suggested that there was an area of overlap in ""Smart people" that included both "smart rich" and "smart poor".You have gone off on tangents that frankly are a tad irrelevant to my point. I honestly couldn't care less. :banana2:

Greg

Now let me get this straight. I suggested that there was an area of overlap in ""Smart people" that included both "smart rich" and "smart poor".You have gone off on tangents that frankly are a tad irrelevant to my point. I honestly couldn't care less. :banana2:

Greg

Boy and girls, this is what happens when someone says something stupid and they get called out on it. They retreat into denial and avoidance. They no longer want to talk to you, because you have won.

Greg

Boy and girls, this is what happens when someone says something stupid and they get called out on it. They retreat into denial and avoidance. They no longer want to talk to you, because you have won.

You are an idiot. You have gone off on a tangent well beyond anything a NORMAL person would consider rational. Putting down ALL YOU KNOW about Venns is a tad silly; it was NOT a point about Venn diagrams but an illustration that you have dumb and smart educated and uneducated. That you missed the point says a lot about your lack of social skills as well as logic. If you cannot stick to the point then it is a matter of relevance. And frankly your "numbers" have more assumptions than a Mary devotional!!

Greg

You are an idiot. You have gone off on a tangent well beyond anything a NORMAL person would consider rational.

:lol: That's what people say when they get pwned. Here, maybe this will help.

doc-vs-patented-preparation-v-butthurt-cream.jpg

Putting down ALL YOU KNOW about Venns is a tad silly;

Oh, I haven't done that yet. :D

it was NOT a point about Venn diagrams but an illustration that you have dumb and smart educated and uneducated.

No, that's not what you said at all. You're changing your story entirely. Your claim was that there was a "strong overlap" between educated people and intelligent people. Would you like to retract your statement and acknowledge you were wrong?

That you missed the point says a lot about your lack of social skills as well as logic.

Oh, I don't bother myself with social skills. I find that being a bit on the schizoid side is the only way to avoid getting tangled up with too many idiots. However, there is no logical emergency exit here for you.

If you cannot stick to the point then it is a matter of relevance. And frankly your "numbers" have more assumptions than a Mary devotional!!

You're the one who brought up Venn diagrams. And there are no assumptions in my numbers. :lol: That's your lack of education showing again. Just because you're ignorant does not mean that my knowledge is an assumption. :lol:

You are an idiot. You have gone off on a tangent well beyond anything a NORMAL person would consider rational.

:lol: That's what people say when they get pwned. Here, maybe this will help.

doc-vs-patented-preparation-v-butthurt-cream.jpg

Putting down ALL YOU KNOW about Venns is a tad silly;

Oh, I haven't done that yet. :D

it was NOT a point about Venn diagrams but an illustration that you have dumb and smart educated and uneducated.

No, that's not what you said at all. You're changing your story entirely. Your claim was that there was a "strong overlap" between educated people and intelligent people. Would you like to retract your statement and acknowledge you were wrong?

That you missed the point says a lot about your lack of social skills as well as logic.

Oh, I don't bother myself with social skills. I find that being a bit on the schizoid side is the only way to avoid getting tangled up with too many idiots. However, there is no logical emergency exit here for you.

If you cannot stick to the point then it is a matter of relevance. And frankly your "numbers" have more assumptions than a Mary devotional!!

You're the one who brought up Venn diagrams. And there are no assumptions in my numbers. :lol: That's your lack of education showing again. Just because you're ignorant does not mean that my knowledge is an assumption. :lol:

And there are no assumptions in my numbers

And you talk about "LOGIC"??? lmao

Let me reiterate. There is OVERLAP with smart educated and smart uneducated. I used the image of a Venn diagram that overlaps. You assume a value for "smart".

By definition, 50% are at least average intelligence, or above.

What is the average of 1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1 and 10000000?? You have ASSUMED something; can you guess what it is??

Furthermore, about 70% of people fall within the "average range" as the bell curve graphs.
You have assumed a Normal distribution.

Of course you have made assumptions, silly!!

Greg

Let me reiterate. There is OVERLAP with smart educated and smart uneducated.

:lol: You're still going? Oh, alright, if you insist....

Your exact words were that there is "a significant overlap" between the intelligent people and educated people. Did you not say that? Yes or no?

You assume a value for "smart".

:lol: No I haven't. I applied scientific knowledge. You're just uneducated.

What is the average of 1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1 and 10000000?? You have ASSUMED something; can you guess what it is??

What? You're rambling nonsensically. :lol:

You really should do some reading. I assume nothing.

Let me reiterate. There is OVERLAP with smart educated and smart uneducated.

:lol: You're still going? Oh, alright, if you insist....

Your exact words were that there is "a significant overlap" between the intelligent people and educated people. Did you not say that? Yes or no?

You assume a value for "smart".

:lol: No I haven't. I applied scientific knowledge. You're just uneducated.

What? You're rambling nonsensically. :lol:

You really should do some reading. I assume nothing.

Then you are a fool. Distributions can be skewed as you well know. Or do you?

Idiot!!

Greg

Talk about making assumptions. Man, you're really ignorant. You haven't the first clue. It would be humorous if not for the fact that you have a right to vote.

Talk about making assumptions. Man, you're really ignorant. You haven't the first clue. It would be humorous if not for the fact that you have a right to vote.

Your responses lack relevance and substance. Pissoff, lightweight!! Are you out of High School yet??

Greg

The working and lower middle class would look more attractive if they ate like the rich!

Someday farmers markets, Trader Joe's, and Whole Foods will replace all the Walmarts!

I have no idea what types of foods you are claiming only the rich eat but from what I have seen with my own eyes, the folks on EBT eat pretty damned good. I've seen obese women and kids rolling their over filled shopping carts to the register laden with ice cream, cakes, donuts, rib eye steaks, center cut pork chops, lobster, halibut, etc., and swipe an EBT card while some poor skinny working stiff rolls his nearly empty cart up to the cashier with a pound or two of hamburger and some buns and fumbles for some cash to pay.

EBT has created a nation of lazy and obese adults and children. It is also taking a toll on medical care.

Poor people have very little options to make regarding life. Their priorities is to eat and survive . I'm sure that if they are given a chance they will work hard towards improvement.
Rich people doesn't mean they are smart either. I know several of them that made very stupid decisions that lead to their downfall.
There's always saying..... You are very smart and intelligent........How come you are not rich?
You are not smart...... How come you are rich?

Forum List

Back