Why Americans Really Don't Give a Shit about Covid

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh

So here's the thing: People see these reports and horror stories on the Telly every day, but there is a bit of subconscious cognitive dissonance going on. Those horror stories just don't line up with what we observe.

The linked data tells you why your instincts are correct.

It appears that among Americans from birth to 64 years old, there have been recorded thus far about 5.8 million "cases." We all know some non-retired people who have tested positive, so that number jibes. The total number of deaths (all we really care about) of people from birth to 64 years old is about 38 thousand.

So to summarize grossly: There are AT LEAST 116 million Americans between the ages of 0 and 64, and of those 5.8 million have tested positive. So that's one in 20 have tested positive. And if you test positive, about one in 160 of you will die from this dreaded disease. So as an individual between the ages of zero and 64, there is about a one-in-3,000 chance that you will die of the disease. It's not actually that high, but close enough.

And as we all know, the younger you are, the less likely you will get sick and die, and the older you are...

This is why so many people said, "Fuck it" and celebrated T'giving with their families. The risk is tolerably low. And if you took extra precautions with Granny, the actual upside was greater than the potential downside.

Actually, my sister wouldn't let her younger daughter come to thanksgiving because she and her boyfriend weren't practicing quarentine measures... She and her husband are in their 60's and can't risk infection.

The real problem here is that we've been living with TRUMP PLAGUE for 9 months now, and yes, we are all getting a little worn down with it all.

Hopefully, there won't be another spike in a week or so for those who were less careful.

So here's the thing: People see these reports and horror stories on the Telly every day, but there is a bit of subconscious cognitive dissonance going on. Those horror stories just don't line up with what we observe.

It appears that among Americans from birth to 64 years old, there have been recorded thus far about 5.8 million "cases." We all know some non-retired people who have tested positive, so that number jibes. The total number of deaths (all we really care about) of people from birth to 64 years old is about 38 thousand.

So to summarize grossly: There are AT LEAST 116 million Americans between the ages of 0 and 64, and of those 5.8 million have tested positive. So that's one in 20 have tested positive. And if you test positive, about one in 160 of you will die from this dreaded disease. So as an individual between the ages of zero and 64, there is about a one-in-3,000 chance that you will die of the disease. It's not actually that high, but close enough.

And as we all know, the younger you are, the less likely you will get sick and die, and the older you are...

This is why so many people said, "Fuck it" and celebrated T'giving with their families. The risk is tolerably low. And if you took extra precautions with Granny, the actual upside was greater than the potential downside.
Oh, so what precautions do you suggest to take with Granny? Correct me if I'm wrong but most people will sit and eat with Granny at the table right? And even if you didn't invite granny, chances are it will increase the chances of it spreading among the population right? And most people do come in contact with granny on a regular basis, right?

And even if that wasn't true, despite not everybody dying a considerable amount of people are hospitalized right? If enough people get hospitalized care decreases right?

What I get from your post is that you don't really care if people die as long as it isn't someone in your immediate family. Sorry if it sounds blunt but that's how it comes across to me.

They give a shit about Covid. So much so the blob was voted out of office because he botched the response so poorly. It surprised me too.

I don't now, and I've never cared, or believed the hype about this strain of flu- there were several granny's in attendance at the Thanksgiving I attended- me being one of them- in fact most there were granny's- as in older than most of yall- not a one has been diagnosed with anything other than hypocrisy, and that is by me, the flu hasn't bothered them and yes they (and I) go out in public without a mask-

The media made way more of this crap than was warranted- imagine that-

Ok. So, we have a hella lot of people that have COVID-19, recovered from it or didn't in my area. It just is.

Granny cancelled Thanksgiving and she may cancel Christmas. Granny doesn't go inside stores. She doesn't go inside restaurants. She is taking every precaution that she can. I totally respect that. Granny made that decision based on her own needs.

It's not that Americans aren't giving a shit. It's that there are a lot of us that don't need to be micromanaged and make decisions based on our needs. We are all cognizant of those that pretend to take precautions or the ignorance of some of the demands.

Personally I take my health seriously.

I have a couple long standing issues. I had severe asthma as a kid. probably a result of living in a shitty cockroach and mold infested building with a chain smoking drug addict for years. I had to have my spleen removed when I was 18 and that leaves me with a compromised immune system.

So the last thing I want is any type of severe respiratory infection.

What I see is that as usual most people are just plain selfish and don't give a shit if their actions affect anyone else.

Why stupid people don't give a shit about covid.

FTFY

The OP is a terrible human being.
Because he questions the"official narrative"? My my- 3 bldgs collapsed from 2 planes in near identical fashion at near free fall speed- the back of JFK's skull was missing from a shot fired from behind him - the fastest way to end ww2 was to kill 200k civilians, just prior to the Japanese surrender that was inevitable- yeah, he's terrible- count me in, please at being terrible- but, don't forget my mantra is ALL men are created equal and have certain UNalienable rights and I can't find a caveat in ALL-

Actually, my sister wouldn't let her younger daughter come to thanksgiving because she and her boyfriend weren't practicing quarentine measures... She and her husband are in their 60's and can't risk infection.

And there is nothing wrong with that. If they feel they are higher risk that may be a sensible thing to do. That's how it should have been handled from the beginning instead of blanket draconian measure that have plunged millions into poverty worldwide while the billionaire class has profited from it.

There is no dumber a son of a bitch on planet earth, than a Trump supporter.
I don't support any member of the Duopoly- read my sig line- I am an equal despiser- so, try something else, stupid.

Stupid people believe the "official narrative". Period.

360,000 new cases
2700 deaths

Since Thanksgiving day

A total of 1,806,590 new cancer cases and 606,520 deaths are expected in the US in 2020, which is about 4,950 new cases and more than 1,600 deaths each day.

Doesn't seem like covid is that big of a deal at all. 3 times more people will die from cancer than Covid. Makes covid seem like the sniffles to me. In fact cancer seems to have a 30% overall death rate. Covid is less than 1%.

People are going to die, they always have, they always will.

Stupid people believe the "official narrative". Period.

360,000 new cases
2700 deaths

Since Thanksgiving day

A total of 1,806,590 new cancer cases and 606,520 deaths are expected in the US in 2020, which is about 4,950 new cases and more than 1,600 deaths each day.

Doesn't seem like covid is that big of a deal at all. 3 times more people will die from cancer than Covid. Makes covid seem like the sniffles to me. In fact cancer seems to have a 30% overall death rate. Covid is less than 1%.

People are going to die, they always have, they always will.
and we know the covid count has been pumped full of people who died from other causes.

The real problem here is that we've been living with TRUMP PLAGUE for 9 months now, and yes, we are all getting a little worn down with it all.

Hopefully, there won't be another spike in a week or so for those who were less careful.

FTFY
Stay home. Never venture out. Become a hermit.

Forum List

Back