Who are some of your favorite MLB Desiginated Hitters (DH) all-time?

bluzman61

Diamond Member
Sep 3, 2019
Valparaiso, Indiana USA
Thanks to a recommendation from a fellow poster and baseball fan, I've decided to ask about this "position". Love it or hate it, the DH is here to stay. I've always liked it, I thought it made the game more interesting and added more offense to the game. My top 5 are - 1) Harold Baines, he IS my favorite MLB player all-time, so I'm a bit biased about this. Baines WAS a good defensive player in the outfield before he started having leg problems. He was a wonderful hitter, and he combined power at the plate with a high batting average. 2) Edgar Martinez, who I actually think is THE best DH all-time, but he's my #2 favorite. He, like Baines, hit for power and a high batting average. 3) Frank Thomas, the "Big Hurt", was a very effective DH, but also a fine first baseman, defensively, before he switched exclusively to DH late in his career. And like Baines and Martinez, he hit for incredible power and a high batting average. 4) Jim Thome, another player, who, like Thomas, was a good defensive player at first base, before switching to DH. He had INCREDIBLE power at the plate, probably even more than Thomas. 5) Ron Blomberg, the VERY first DH in MLB history, he debuted the position in April of 1973, playing for the New York Yankees. He was a very good hitter, with a .293 career batting average, but for some reason he didn't play a whole lot during his short career. So, here are my favorites, who are some of yours?

Last edited:
Thanks to a recommendation from a fellow poster and baseball fan, I've decided to ask about this "position". Love it or hate it, the DH is here to stay.

This will come as news to what's called the "National League". You know --- the original one.

If I had such a thing as a favourite DH it would be the guy who found himself in an interleague game and got a day off from the field where he could actually PLAY, but still got into the game as long as they were going to give him a fake position and an extra batter.

The DH is a dishonest idea. It's based on the self-fulfilling mythology that "pitchers can't hit".

Thanks to a recommendation from a fellow poster and baseball fan, I've decided to ask about this "position". Love it or hate it, the DH is here to stay.

This will come as news to what's called the "National League".

You know --- the original one.

If I had such a thing as a favourite DH it would be the guy who found himself in an interleague game and got a day off from the field where he could actually PLAY, but still got into the game as long as they were going to give him a fake position.
But the National League DOES use the DH in inter-league play AND in the World Series, as you mentioned, my dear Pogo. Now, please list some of your favorite DH's. Otherwise, don't bother replying to this thread again. Thank you.

Thanks to a recommendation from a fellow poster and baseball fan, I've decided to ask about this "position". Love it or hate it, the DH is here to stay. I've always liked it, I thought it made the game more interesting and added more offense to the game. My top 5 are - 1) Harold Baines, he IS my favorite MLB player all-time, so I'm a bit biased about this. Baines WAS a good defensive player in the outfield before he started having leg problems. He was a wonderful hitter, and he combined power at the plate with a high batting average. 2) Edgar Martinez, who I actually think is THE best DH all-time, but he's my #2 favorite. He, like Baines, hit for power and a high batting average. 3) Frank Thomas, the "Big Hurt", was a very effective DH, but also a fine first baseman, defensively, before he switched exclusively to DH late in his career. And like Baines and Martinez, he hit for incredible power and a high batting average. 4) Jim Thome, another player, who, like Thomas, was a good defensive player at first base, before switching to DH. He had INCREDIBLE power at the plate, probably even more than Thomas. 5) Ron Blomberg, the VERY first DH in MLB history, he debuted the position in April of 1973, playing for the New York Yankees. He was a very good hitter, with a .293 career batting average, but for some reason he didn't play a whole lot during his short career. So, here are my favorites, who are some of yours?
Being a Red Sox fan I gotta go with Big Papi.
David Ortiz - 2013 World Series mvp.

Another good thread Mr Bluz - thanks.
1587856588055.png
:beer:

This will come as news to what's called the "National League". You know --- the original one.

If I had such a thing as a favourite DH it would be the guy who found himself in an interleague game and got a day off from the field where he could actually PLAY, but still got into the game as long as they were going to give him a fake position and an extra batter.

The DH is a dishonest idea. It's based on the self-fulfilling mythology that "pitchers can't hit".
DH sucks so I refuse to name one. Can't hit... get out of the game.

Do they still have the DH in every other World Series ? I forgot.

How can you not have Big Papi on that list? Are you serious? SHOCKING!!! LOL

The DH is used in AL parks. If AL wins the All Star game, they get to host the 1st two WS games.
A 10th player is such a farce. Pinch hitter is how you should play, if need be. Strategy is what the game is about.
Old 1st basemen end up as the DH when defensive skills are zip. How do you think they end up at 1B in the first place?

Last edited:

I think they alternate years. One year American League rules, next year National League rules.

I think they alternate years. One year American League rules, next year National League rules.
Ended in 86, then went to rules of the home team.

Being a Red Sox fan I gotta go with Big Papi.
David Ortiz - 2013 World Series mvp.

Another good thread Mr Bluz - thanks.
View attachment 328066:beer:
Thanks, Angelo. Sheet, I forgot about Ortiz! HE would be my #5 pick, and I'll drop Blomberg to #6.

A nice side effect of the DH rule is that it extended the careers of some fan favorite baseball players. Reggie Jackson and Carl Yastrzemski for example.

I just remedied that! See post #12.

This will come as news to what's called the "National League".

You know --- the original one.

If I had such a thing as a favourite DH it would be the guy who found himself in an interleague game and got a day off from the field where he could actually PLAY, but still got into the game as long as they were going to give him a fake position.
But the National League DOES use the DH in inter-league play AND in the World Series, as you mentioned, my dear Pogo. Now, please list some of your favorite DH's. Otherwise, don't bother replying to this thread again. Thank you.

There's literally no such thing as a "favorite" in a position that isn't a position in the first place ("position" after all refers to one's place in what we call the FIELD).

I'm an NL fan. We don't use a DH, the pitcher takes his hacks just like everybody else. You know, like Babe Ruth. So the ONLY time I see a DH used is when my team visits an AL park and gets a bonus of an extra guy in the batting order. Who that is in a given game only depends on who needs a semi-rest, so it rotates.

A nice side effect of the DH rule is that it extended the careers of some fan favorite baseball players. Reggie Jackson and Carl Yastrzemski for example.

That's what we used to have "old timers games" for.

You mean "field" but absolutely agree. And ain't it ironic that when Ohtani came in from Japan he went to the junior circuit where they need this sort of malarkey,

Imagine if baseball were to institute "designated fielders". Batting for 1B tonight will be Adam Dunn. Fielding the position will be Tommy Hutton.

With all due respect...if you don't have Ortiz at number 1...you're out of your mind! Ask any Yankee fan if they didn't think Big Papi was the scariest DH EVAH! :)

With all due respect...if you don't have Ortiz at number 1...you're out of your mind! Ask any Yankee fan if they didn't think Big Papi was the scariest DH EVAH! :)
Actually, I AM out of my mind, and I have several psychiatrists' diagnosei (that doesn't look right, sp.?) that have come to that conclusion. But I'm only HALF nuts, the other half is cashews. And I DO love being unique!

Forum List

Back