J.T. Realmuto: it's all about Numero Uno

Pogo

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2012
Fennario
Subject: J.T. Realmuto, first-string catcher, Philadelphia Phillies
Current location: Miami; Current team location: Toronto
Issue: Narcissistic-Obsessively Bold-Ass Lame Loser Syndrome ("NOBALLS")

Subject is starting catcher/field captain for his team, contending for playoffs. Top half of the batting order hitter, outstanding defender.

Why is he in Miami while his team is in Toronto? Injury? Nope. Perfectly healthy. The reason he's not in Toronto is because he's ineligible to enter Canada, as he's not vaccinated for COVID.

Let's let him explain why that is.
>> “It’s an extremely unfortunate situation,” Realmuto told reporters on Monday. “I’m a healthy 31-year-old professional athlete. I just didn’t feel a need to get it. I’ve had COVID a couple times, super-mild symptoms, back when it first came out.

"When it came time to decide whether I needed the vaccine or not, talking to doctors that I knew and told them my story, I decided I didn’t think I needed it. I wasn’t going to take it just because I was told, basically. What’s money? I’m not going to let Canada tell me what I do and don’t do with my body. For a little bit of money, it’s just not worth it.” <<

(money reference: he's being docked over a quarter of a million dollars for missing the two games. Get that? A sum most of us take years to make, he makes in two days, yet can't be bothered to show up).

(link: J.T. Realmuto on missing Blue Jays series: 'Not going to let Canada tell me what I do with my body' )

Yes, that's a real quote. Realmuto is leaving his teammates shorthanded because he wants to throw a "me me me and did I mention ME" hissyfit. Because woOOOooo, scary needle. :50:

So last night the team had to run its backup catcher Garrett Stubbs (who did very well and should probably become the primary catcher since he actually SHOWS UP), but lost their game by one run, to a struggling Blue Jays team. In a one-run game a player who habitually turns in 20 home runs a year, could have made the difference. One or two games could also make the difference in making or not making the playoffs. But No Can Do, because he "didn't feel the need". Unreal.

But no, it's all about "ME" and my "don't feel the need". Dude can take foul balls off the mask at 100 mph and block the plate against really big runners coming full speed, somehow.... just can't deal with a tiny needle.
As the late Phils broadcaster Rich Ashburn would say: Hard to believe, Harry.

Notice how he says it's "unfortunate", as if it were not his conscious choice and just "happened" out of frickin' nowhere. WHO KNEW there was a trip to Canada on the schedule, other than everybody?

Notice how he also somehow selectively "forgets" that MLB, and the MLBPA contract he plays and gets paid under, ALREADY tells him and all the other players what they can and can't do with their bodies (e.g. regular drug testing). Not to mention what MLB and his team already "tells him what do do" with uniforms, practice times, batting order, curfews, etc.

But never mind that, because ME ME ME, and I can just sit back and blame "Canada" and say "it's unfortunate". Elsewhere he says "my teammates know how I feel about them". No doubt they do, after this self-absorbed tantrum, left to fend for themselves without his bat or stellar defense because he got hung up on "I DON' WANNA". :ahole-1:

This is poison for a team. They oughta trade him right now, preferably to TORONTO. Or second-best, to any other team in the American League East, where he'd be forced -- or should I say "told what to do" -- to go to Toronto tp play for his team in multiple series every season. Let's see how many games he gets to sit out in Miami THEN. The wimp.

Absent that, the next-best scenario might be for Toronto and Philadelphia to face each other in the playoffs, and see what kind of lame-ass excuses he comes up with THEN.

If this was your teammate how would you like hearing this malarkey?

Last edited:
Another it's-all-about-me player was described this way by his manager:

"Templeton doesn't want to play in St. Louis. He doesn't want to play on (artificial) turf. He doesn't want to play when we go to Montreal. He doesn't want to play in the Astrodome. He doesn't want to play in the rain. The other 80 games, he's all right." -- Whitey Herzog

They traded him away too. In return they got a guy named Ozzie Smith.

I think the guy is an idiot for not taking a safe vaccine, but there are a lot of idiots out there. I don’t find fault with him choosing to put what he feels is his health first. I don’t see this as an act of selfishness

Forum List

Back