Who are some of your favorite Major League Baseball managers, all-time?

bluzman61

Diamond Member
Sep 3, 2019
Valparaiso, Indiana USA
There have been plenty of great managers throughout the history of Major League Baseball. Some of my favorites include - 1) Casey Stengel, he was great at being able to successfully manage the heavily talented New York Yankees for quite a few years. He was somehow able to please his star players, as well as the less talented ones, and bring them into being a cohesive powerhouse. Later, when he managed the New York Mets, in the team's infancy, he was wonderfully funny and honest about how awful the team was. 2) Tony La Russa, possibly the smartest and most analytical manager in the history of baseball, he was always able to take an average team and make it a good team, and take a good team and make it VERY good. He's only one of two managers in Major League Baseball history to manage both American AND National League teams to World Series Championships, once for the Oakland A's and twice for the St. Louis Cardinals. Which leads straight to my #3 pick, George "Sparky" Anderson. Sparky, like Tony, led both American AND National League teams to titles. Sparky led the Cincinnati Reds' Big Red Machine to a couple titles, as well as leading the Detroit Tigers to a title. Here are a few of my favorite managers all-time, who are some of yours?

I always liked Bobby valentine. Not sure how great a manager he was, but he was always embroiled in a controversy. He was interesting to watch, and there was something about his personality I liked, even though he was a wise ass a lot of times

Bruce Bochy (Padres), Whitey Herzog (Cardinals), Tony LaRussa (Cardinals, A's)

My dad's side is from Missouri so I kinda have a soft spot for the Cards, unless they play the Padres of course.

I always liked Bobby valentine. Not sure how great a manager he was, but he was always embroiled in a controversy. He was interesting to watch, and there was something about his personality I liked, even though he was a wise ass a lot of times
Thanks for your reply, Rocko. I BELIEVE Valentine was considered to be a fine manager.

Billy Martin....The tempestuous one-man soap opera only won everywhere he went.

Tony LaRussa... Martin's paladin twin.

Sparky Anderson...A legend.

Joe Torre...A grounded winner...Made it very hard to hate on the Yankees.

Earl Weaver...Second only to Martin in umpire arguing theatrics..."Pitching, hitting, and the three-run bomb."

Earl Weaver...Second only to Martin in umpire arguing theatrics..."Pitching, hitting, and the three-run bomb."
Thanks for your reply, Oddball. Martin would most likely be my #4 choice, and Torre my #5 pick. AND Weaver my #6 pick.

That's a good list. Sparky was a legend.

Leo Durocher of the Brooklyn Dodgers....He epitomized winning!

Leo Durocher of the Brooklyn Dodgers....He epitomized winning!

Thanks for your reply, EEF. He SHOULD'VE won it all, managing the 1969 Cubs. I STILL think they were a better team overall than the Mets, and quite possibly the Orioles, as well, that season.

My favorite is Earl Weaver, as Oddball said he was awesome at arguing with Umpires. But he also managed possibly the greatest starting rotation of the last 50 years, Dobson, Palmer, Cuellar and McNally, all 20 game winners in '71. Of course I grew up in Maryland during the 60s and 70s so I am a tad biased.

Danny Murtaugh and Chuck Tanner. When baseball was baseball and still an American sport.

Danny_Murtaugh_1960s.jpg
Chuck_Tanner_1971.jpg

My favorite is Earl Weaver, as Oddball said he was awesome at arguing with Umpires. But he also managed possibly the greatest starting rotation of the last 50 years, Dobson, Palmer, Cuellar and McNally, all 20 game winners in '71. Of course I grew up in Maryland during the 60s and 70s so I am a tad biased.
Thanks, Mike.

Danny Murtaugh and Chuck Tanner. When baseball was baseball and still an American sport.

View attachment 330241View attachment 330240
Thanks, tb. I really liked Tanner when he managed the White Sox. He helped Dick Allen to perhaps the best season in his career in 1972. Allen won the American League MVP that season, and he deserved it. It's too bad Allen was a headcase throughout his career, and especially towards the end of it. He should've easily made the Hall of Fame with his talent. Oh well.

The test is, which managers made their teams better? Teams that won X games the year before they showed up then X+Y in their first couple years.

Clint Hurdle did that for the Pirates. Leo Durocher, Billy Martin, and many others.

Interestingly, the effect only lasts a couple years, then they have to go. The players have heard it and don't respond anymore.

I have absolutely nothing to add to this.

Perfect!

There have been plenty of great managers throughout the history of Major League Baseball. Some of my favorites include - 1) Casey Stengel, he was great at being able to successfully manage the heavily talented New York Yankees for quite a few years. He was somehow able to please his star players, as well as the less talented ones, and bring them into being a cohesive powerhouse. Later, when he managed the New York Mets, in the team's infancy, he was wonderfully funny and honest about how awful the team was. 2) Tony La Russa, possibly the smartest and most analytical manager in the history of baseball, he was always able to take an average team and make it a good team, and take a good team and make it VERY good. He's only one of two managers in Major League Baseball history to manage both American AND National League teams to World Series Championships, once for the Oakland A's and twice for the St. Louis Cardinals. Which leads straight to my #3 pick, George "Sparky" Anderson. Sparky, like Tony, led both American AND National League teams to titles. Sparky led the Cincinnati Reds' Big Red Machine to a couple titles, as well as leading the Detroit Tigers to a title. Here are a few of my favorite managers all-time, who are some of yours?
Sparky was #1 and then Walter Alston and Tommy Lasorda.

Forum List

Back