Little League World Series cancelled for the first time.

MarathonMike

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2014
The Southwestern Desert
China Virus is the curse that keeps on giving. Now it's destroyed the dreams of hundreds of thousands of young boys and girls for the quest to get to Williamsport.
I'm so glad my son and I had our shot, I feel terrible for the 12 year olds and their coaches who's one chance has been taken from them.

China Virus is the curse that keeps on giving. Now it's destroyed the dreams of hundreds of thousands of young boys and girls for the quest to get to Williamsport.
I'm so glad my son and I had our shot, I feel terrible for the 12 year olds and their coaches who's one chance has been taken from them.

Damn, that's just so sad.

People can scoff at the importance of sports, but I really believe sports are integral to our country. China Virus has decimated sports at all levels, pro, college, high school, club sports, little league you name it.

People can scoff at the importance of sports, but I really believe sports are integral to our country. China Virus has decimated sports at all levels, pro, college, high school, club sports, little league you name it.
And music. With 100 % of clubs, arenas and stadiums shut down worldwide,
you can imagine the domino effect this could have on the music industry.

This year was going to be my grandsons first year in little league minor league division....team tryouts cancelled....

I just read about this.

I'd rather watch the Little League World Series than the MLB World Series. There's just so much more heart put into the game.

Sad, indeed...

Last edited:
And music. With 100 % of clubs, arenas and stadiums shut down worldwide,
you can imagine the domino effect this could have on the music industry.

It's changing it, no doubt, but it won't ruin it.

I worked in the music industry for 12 years after I retired from the Navy, and saw monumental shifts in how business was conducted in just that short time span from 2001 until 2013.

Once upon a time, I never would've imagined that you'd be able to get your favorite artist's latest album without going to a record store. But technology changed and how we accessed music changed with it. Your favorite band is still going to release new music. They're still going to write songs and they're still going to be featured in Rolling Stone. But touring is something that will take a while to make a comeback.

But you'd be surprised at how much money bands don't make by touring. They may have a guarantee per show, but expenses have to come out of that. While the promoter normally pays for the venue, craft services, etc, the band pays their crew's salaries, pays for their lodging, etc. I've done tour photography for a number of bands, and have seen large and small operations. Barenaked Ladies (who are a fucking blast to tour with) travel with, including me, a crew of eight people: me, two guitar techs, a drum tech, a monitor mix tech, a lighting tech and two tour bus drivers. Union types hired by the promoter take care of the front of house sound.

Conversely, a band like Lynyrd Skynyrd travels with a crew of about 40 people. Each member of the band has his own roadies, they've got half a dozen sound guys, drivers, personal assistants, etc. Of course, they're a much bigger draw than BNL, but the additional money they're paid goes to additional expenses.

The crew for a band like BNL won't feel much negative impact. The guys they take on the road are the guys who show up for video shoots or recording sessions, as well. If they don't tour, they're still working. But the guy who gets paid $500 a night for setting up Gary Rossington's pedal board at every show isn't makin' a dime, and probably won't for a while.

It'll be interesting to see how it all works out in the end. I'm one of the house photographers for two local venues, and the last show I shot was Southside Johnny & The Asbury Jukes on March 10th. It's unheard of to go two months without a shoot but, hey, here we are.

The people who will start making money as soon as things open up will be the local musicians, playing the local clubs. Hell, that's where some of the best music is, anyway!

Damn, that's just so sad.
Yeah but not near as sad as people losing their livelihoods,that’s what is really sad about it all

Forum List

Back