Which Type of Traveler are You?

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
PART I: I have noticed that some people, when they travel, take pictures of the "stuff" that they see...Mountains, iconic buildings, castles, Cathedrals, and so on. Other people take pictures of THEMSELVES in front of the stuff that they are seeing and visiting. I tend to be the former type. Who wants to see a picture of ME cluttering up the screen with, say, Mt Rushmore in the background? Nobody. But I know people of both types, and it shows up in all their travel photos.

On the other hand, there are certain iconic things in the world where it is traditional to get a picture of yourself with the thing in the background, to "prove" that you were there. I'm speaking of, say, the Eiffel Tower, the Leaning Tower of Pisa, or the Washington Monument.

Which type of traveler are you, and why do you think that is?

PART II: When someone is visiting your geographical area, is there something iconic (and at least nationally recognizable) that they would want to have a picture of, with them in the foreground?

In my home town of Pittsburgh, the only thing I can think of would be a picture of YOU in front of one of the statues of baseball greats in the background (Bill Mazeroski, Roberto Clemente, Willie Stargell). Or Mister Rogers? Can't think of anything else.

In Pittsburgh? Maybe I would have taken a pic of Mr. Westinghouse, but he didn't like to be photographed.

PART I: I have noticed that some people, when they travel, take pictures of the "stuff" that they see...Mountains, iconic buildings, castles, Cathedrals, and so on. Other people take pictures of THEMSELVES in front of the stuff that they are seeing and visiting. I tend to be the former type. Who wants to see a picture of ME cluttering up the screen with, say, Mt Rushmore in the background? Nobody. But I know people of both types, and it shows up in all their travel photos.

On the other hand, there are certain iconic things in the world where it is traditional to get a picture of yourself with the thing in the background, to "prove" that you were there. I'm speaking of, say, the Eiffel Tower, the Leaning Tower of Pisa, or the Washington Monument.

PART II: When someone is visiting your geographical area, is there something iconic (and at least nationally recognizable) that they would want to have a picture of, with them in the foreground?

In my home town of Pittsburgh, the only thing I can think of would be a picture of YOU in front of one of the statues of baseball greats in the background (Bill Mazeroski, Roberto Clemente, Willie Stargell). Or Mister Rogers? Can't think of anything else.

In 1955 at the Pirates first home game, I had a picture of my high school baseball team taken. The team was kneeling in 3 rows and standing behind us was Bill Virdon, Mazeroski and Clemente. My sister had the picture but she died a few years ago and My BIL and nephew can't locate it. In my estimation, Roberto was the best RF in baseball history and one of the greatest hitters. And Maz is the best second baseman ever. The Great One and Mister No Touch! No one could play a right field wall like Clemente in PGH or Carl Furillo in Bklyn. Maz would rarely catch a ground ball. He would let it skip off the heel of his glove into his throwing hand. As Bob Prince would say: "We had 'em all the way!"

When I was in Pittsburgh, I took pictures of the bridges

There is a marvelous monument to George Westinghouse in Schenley Park, just off of Flagstaff Hill. The pond in front is not well maintained and the memorial itself falls into semi-ruin from time to time, but it is worthwhile for us Pittsburghers to ponder the enormous impact he had on Western Pennsylvania. For Trump fans, Westinghouse is ANOTHER great American who suffered through the occasional bankruptcy, but that doesn't significantly detract from the value that he brought to the country.

In my 5 decades of serious traveling, there are maybe 10 pictures of me.

I never wanted to ruin the poor cameras!

When I was in Pittsburgh, I took pictures of the bridges
Me too. Sewickley Bridge, June 8, 2023.

2023-06-08 06.52.32.jpg

Pittsburgh has a cornucopia of interesting and historic bridges, and some that occasionally fall down. Three rivers.

You know it's funny growing up I would always take pictures of everything when I traveled... but now I hardly carry a camera at all when I travel. I rarely take pictures and if I do it is of something I feel I really need a picture for. Like you though when I do take a picture I like to have myself and family I am with in the picture.

There is a marvelous monument to George Westinghouse in Schenley Park, just off of Flagstaff Hill. The pond in front is not well maintained and the memorial itself falls into semi-ruin from time to time, but it is worthwhile for us Pittsburghers to ponder the enormous impact he had on Western Pennsylvania. For Trump fans, Westinghouse is ANOTHER great American who suffered through the occasional bankruptcy, but that doesn't significantly detract from the value that he brought to the country.
has trump" suffered through bankruptcy?" his partners, shareholders, employees and customers may have "suffered," but i dom't see trump selling pencils on 5th ave.

hell, most people i know can't afford bankruptcy.

-

Forum List

Back