Do you travel for the place or the people?

Blues Man

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2016
I haven't traveled extensively but when I do I'm more interested in the place than the people. My next trip is going to be Italy I think because I have always been fascinated by the Renaissance period. People like Galileo, Da Vinci and Michelangelo have always been important historical figures to me.

I want to see the things that interest me more than I want to meet people. On my last trip all I really cared about seeing was some Incan ruins and the rain forest. I'm not into shopping or food or other tourist trap shit. I usually research what I want to see, museums and where to stay in the areas I visit and such

I am quite an extreme introvert anyway but I was wondering how you more seasoned travelers approach a trip.

When younger, we travelled for the place...exploring, educating oneself on new places....

I've done Italy, Milan, Florence, Pisa, Assisi, Venice, Rome, lake Cuomo with much admiration of the artists and Renaissance period of works....but in Italy, it's hard not to enjoy the people and their food as well imo!

As Matt and I got older, our vacations became more about relaxation along with water activities and being pampered, and being at some all inclusive resort on a sunny island with staff waiting on us hand and foot, from drinks to food to massages, and water sports from snorkeling to sailing to deep sea fishing..... Any sunny island with friendly people where the cell phone didn't work! We both were workaholics, and just wanted some peace from it all....

I haven't traveled extensively but when I do I'm more interested in the place than the people. My next trip is going to be Italy I think because I have always been fascinated by the Renaissance period. People like Galileo, Da Vinci and Michelangelo have always been important historical figures to me.

I want to see the things that interest me more than I want to meet people. On my last trip all I really cared about seeing was some Incan ruins and the rain forest. I'm not into shopping or food or other tourist trap shit. I usually research what I want to see, museums and where to stay in the areas I visit and such

I am quite an extreme introvert anyway but I was wondering how you more seasoned travelers approach a trip.
I only travel for people. I'm going to see somebody if I leave the area.

I might get somebody and then go see an area.

Last edited:
When younger, we travelled for the place...exploring, educating oneself on new places....

I've done Italy, Milan, Florence, Pisa, Assisi, Venice, Rome, lake Cuomo with much admiration of the artists and Renaissance period of works....but in Italy, it's hard not to enjoy the people and their food as well imo!

As Matt and I got older, our vacations became more about relaxation along with water activities and being pampered, and being at some all inclusive resort on a sunny island with staff waiting on us hand and foot, from drinks to food to massages, and water sports from snorkeling to sailing to deep sea fishing..... Any sunny island with friendly people where the cell phone didn't work! We both were workaholics, and just wanted some peace from it all....
And I bet you still don't know where one one of the best beaches in the world is. :banana:

And I bet you still don't know where one one of the best beaches in the world is. :banana:
Where?

Matt and I always find a beach, where ever we live, that we lovingly always call, "Our Spot",

Do you want to go to " our spot" today, means do you want to go to the Beach today?

"Our Spot" in Maine, that we found up here around 10 years ago is a private beach area in a State park, that no one knows about...well, a few do.... It's a cove, in the park that is a 100 ft trek through a path through the woods, to a cliff that has a path to climb down to the beach....it only has two parking spots nestled in the woods on the road heading to the main part of the park where there is parking lots and a lighthouse and some ruins from a yesteryear fort and bathrooms...we missed seeing THE two parking slots before the main park for the first 7 years of going to the beach there...!!! We sit under a wild apple tree for shade, on the beach! With cooler and grill

One day on the way home out of the park, we saw the spots, parked there and took the path!

We found paradise! All the way up here in Maine!

In Florida, we found Our Spot, on the side of a causeway, that had all these mangroves down to the water....when we walked through them, we found a private sandy beach we could put our beach chairs and cooler on, and tie off our rafts to the mangroves that we floated in the cove on.... Another great Our Spot beach! :)

So where is this best beach?

Where?

Matt and I always find a beach, where ever we live, that we lovingly always call, "Our Spot",

Do you want to go to " our spot" today, means do you want to go to the Beach today?

"Our Spot" in Maine, that we found up here around 10 years ago is a private beach area in a State park, that no one knows about...well, a few do.... It's a cove, in the park that is a 100 ft trek through a path through the woods, to a cliff that has a path to climb down to the beach....it only has two parking spots nestled in the woods on the road heading to the main part of the park where there is parking lots and a lighthouse and some ruins from a yesteryear fort and bathrooms...we missed seeing THE two parking slots before the main park for the first 7 years of going to the beach there...!!! We sit under a wild apple tree for shade, on the beach! With cooler and grill

One day on the way home out of the park, we saw the spots, parked there and took the path!

In Florida, we found Our Spot, on the side of a causeway, that had all these mangroves down to the water....when we walked through them, we found a private sandy beach we could put our beach chairs and cooler on, and tie off our rafts to the mangroves that we floated in the cove on.... Another great Our Spot beach! :)

It's a little ways from the Causeway and the mangroves where the faggots boofoo.

And I ain't tellin' ya. LOCALS ONLY! :funnyface:

Aw fuck I saw a dude's eyeball get popped at the Causeway. Another guy got stabbed.

Half a mile of solid people like sardines, the stabbed guy was dead by the time the cops got to him, I was going the other way.

The guy that got his eyeball popped, some dude rammed his eye into the corner of a square and chromed sideview mirror.

And that was a late model car at the time. I saw both things happen right in front of me.

Last edited:
It's a little ways from the Causeway and the mangroves where the faggots boofoo.

And I ain't tellin' ya. LOCALS ONLY! :funnyface:

Aw fuck I saw a dude's eyeball get popped at the Causeway. Another guy got stabbed.

Half a mile of solid people, the stabbed guy was dead by the time the cops got to him, I was going the other way.
Well Phooey poo on you!!!

Our spot causeway had no people beaching it!

Where?

Best, most secluded beaches I've been on have been in the Abacos. Can take your boat to a random island and have it to yourself. Even on the populated islands, other people are very sparse. Miles of beach and often nobody.

Gin clear water, great fishing/diving snorkeling. And very few people.

Well Phooey poo on you!!!

Our spot causeway had no people beaching it!
That's because it was daytime.

I don't be tellin' people outside of Florida where the good beach is.

I've been to a lot of beaches, and I know the best one. And I ain't tellin' unless you're from Florida. :funnyface:

CA beaches suck, other country beaches suck, we got the best right here.

I'll give ya the 2nd best one: Pensacola.

deal-with.gif

Last edited:
That's because it was daytime.

I don't be tellin' people outside of Florida where the good beach is.

I've been to a lot of beaches, and I know the best one. And I ain't tellin' unless you're from Florida. :funnyface:

CA beaches suck, other country beaches suck, we got the best right here.

I'll give ya the 2nd best one: Pensacola.

deal-with.gif
I know Pensacola area...beautiful beaches! We lived there when I was really young and dad was stationed there, and my grandparents lived in Ft. Walton Beach a decade or two, before moving back to Alabama....

Matt and I both, are Floridians...Matt was born there! Both of our families live there....

The place usually unless we are visiting someone specific but we tend to stick to places where English is common.

I have traveled extensively, and it's almost always for the place, but that's not entirely a choice. It takes some time, effort, and luck to interact with locals who have anything worthwhile to say, and can speak English.

And not to be commercial, but one of the good things about Viking river cruises is that they frequently have guest speakers who come on board and talk about what it's like to live in the countries you are passing through. They talk about renting a "flat," work, taxes, healthcare, education, food, and other things that you can't learn from a tour guide.

I have traveled extensively, and it's almost always for the place, but that's not entirely a choice. It takes some time, effort, and luck to interact with locals who have anything worthwhile to say, and can speak English.

And not to be commercial, but one of the good things about Viking river cruises is that they frequently have guest speakers who come on board and talk about what it's like to live in the countries you are passing through. They talk about renting a "flat," work, taxes, healthcare, education, food, and other things that you can't learn from a tour guide.
Cruise=trapped on a boat

It's my worst nightmare

Forum List

Back