Heisman Goes To The Player With The Most Hype....Not The Best Player

mudwhistle

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2009
Headmaster's Office, Hogwarts
Once again.....the format for Heisman voting proves to be faulty.

QB Jayden Daniels (Who?) wins the Heisman.

The Arizona State transfer who ended up at LSU had a 10-4 season last year and a 9-3 season this year.

His team wasn't even in consideration for the playoffs, yet for some reason the voters think he's a better player than Oregon's Bo Nix, or Washington's Michael Penix jr....even though both of them had better seasons and records.
His team beat up teams like Grambling, Georgia State, and Army, but he lost to Alabama, Florida State, and Ole Miss.
We'll see what happens to him when he gets into the NFL and gets beat up. A running QB doesn't have much of a chance of lasting all the way thru a 17 game season. Just ask Baltimore's Lamar Jackson. A skinny 6'4" 210 lb QB that most tacklers can throw around like a ragdoll won't last very long.
Every tough game he was involved in this year he lost. Unlike Bo Nix or Michael Penix jr. Bo Nix has only lost this year to Michael Penix's Washington Huskeys and both games were by 3 points.

I have to admit.....his highlight reel looks impressive....but that's what most of the voters used to base their voting off of, because LSU didn't have games that were broadcast nationally like the other candidates.

You be the judge.....do you think he's the best player this year?

Last edited:
Dude, if anyone deserved the Heisman, it's Jayden Daniels. That's who.

He had more touchdowns and more yards this season than Joe Burrow, who won the Heisman, and won the BCS national championship in 2019 and went on to be the highest paid NFL quarterback in history, who ALSO played for LSU. He was the first QB in college football history to have 350 yards passing and 200 rushing in the same game. He had 606 total yards in that one game, a season high for anyone in the FBS. He has a 208 passer rating, an NCAA record.

He is, by far, the best QB in the college football this year.

He was also named AP's college football player of the year 3 days ago.

You don't receive the Heisman based on how your TEAM did, you receive it based on how YOU did. He didn't have the defense this year that Joe Burrow enjoyed, so even though he outplayed Burrow, his team didn't do as well. That doesn't mean he shouldn't get the Heisman.

Last edited:
Dude, if anyone deserved the Heisman, it's Jayden Daniels. That's who.

He had more touchdowns and more yards this season than Joe Burrow, who won the Heisman, and won the BCS national championship in 2019 and went on to be the highest paid NFL quarterback in history, who ALSO played for LSU. He was the first QB in college football history to have 350 yards passing and 200 rushing in the same game. He is, by far, the best QB in the college football this year.

You don't receive the Heisman based on how your TEAM did, you receive it based on how YOU did. He didn't have the defense this year that Joe Burrow enjoyed, so even though he outplayed Burrow, his team didn't do as well. That doesn't mean he shouldn't get the Heisman.
I think it depends on your schedule.
If you're playing a bunch of pushovers all the time (but not playing well against teams in your own conference) I think your stats can be deceptive. Bo Nix had more passing yards and a better completion rate. I would argue he had a much tougher schedule as well.

Last edited:
If you're playing a bunch of pushovers all the time (but not playing well against teams in your own conference) I think your stats can be deceptive. Bo Nix had more passing yards and a better completion rate. I would argue he had a much tougher schedule as well.

But FAR fewer rushing yards and far fewer TOTAL yards. Daniels showed himself to be a much more rounded player. Daniels set many more records than Nix. Thus the Heisman.

Bo Nix: 228 rushing
Jayden Daniels: 1,128 yards rushing

Bo Nix: 40 TDs
Jayden Daniels: 50 TDs

'Nuff said.

Last edited:
You can’t make the argument that Oregon played a tougher schedule than LSU.

LSU played 3 teams in the current top 25, 2 in the top 5.

Oregon played 2. 1 in the top 5.

Daniel’s scored 50 TDs this year.

You can’t make the argument that Oregon played a tougher schedule than LSU.

LSU played 3 teams in the current top 25, 2 in the top 5.

Oregon played 2. 1 in the top 5.

Daniel’s scored 50 TDs this year.
Sure....if you're playing teams like Georgia State, Grambling, and Army and you run up the score 72-10.
Note that they didn't beat any top 5 team.
I saw them play Florida State and he looked like shit.
The only team Oregon lost to was Washington....by a total of 3 points.

I'd be willing to bet that Bo Nix will be a better QB in the pros that Daniels.

Sure....if you're playing teams like Georgia State, Grambling, and Army and you run up the score 72-10.

Oh mean like when Ore plays teams like Portland St? All the teams have cupcakes on their schedule.

If the Heisman were the award for who the selection committee thinks will be the best pro QB award that might be relevant. Pretty sure that’s not the criteria though.

I cannot remember a year that this was not said about the Heisman.
The NFL draft is the true awards ceremony, although it's also imperfect as evidenced by the selections of guys like JaMarcus Russell, Ryan Leaf, etc.

Oh mean like when Ore plays teams like Portland St? All the teams have cupcakes on their schedule.

If the Heisman were the award for who the selection committee thinks will be the best pro QB award that might be relevant. Pretty sure that’s not the criteria though.
Portland State isn't a pushover. They're one of the better teams in the Big Sky conference. They have a pretty good talent draw compared to Grambling and Georgia State. A black university and a school that barely can afford uniforms.

The deal here is a running QB is going to score a lot of TDs if the coach leaves him in when they're padding the score against a lousy team. 72-10. Bo Nix was usually pulled by the 3rd quarter once they led by 30 or more points.

How many TDs did Daniels score himself against teams that can't tackle? Then when he plays Ole Miss and Florida State he looks like a high school QB. Sorry, but I watched him and I wasn't impressed. Sure he has a highlight reel, but most of his scores were from out running players that weren't very fast. Something that you'll find on bad teams. But teams like Alabama and Florida State have speed everywhere on the field, and it shows when he had to play them. But Bo Nix played well against everyone.

Portland State isn't a pushover. They're one of the better teams in the Big Sky conference. They have a pretty good talent draw compared to Grambling and Georgia State. A black university and a school that barely can afford uniforms.

The deal here is a running QB is going to score a lot of TDs if the coach leaves him in when they're padding the score against a lousy team. 72-10. Bo Nix was usually pulled by the 3rd quarter once they led by 30 or more points.

How many TDs did Daniels score himself against teams that can't tackle? Then when he plays Ole Miss and Florida State he looks like a high school QB. Sorry, but I watched him and I wasn't impressed. Sure he has a highlight reel, but most of his scores were from out running players that weren't very fast. Something that you'll find on bad teams. But teams like Alabama and Florida State have speed everywhere on the field, and it shows when he had to play them. But Bo Nix played well against everyone.

Interestingly he's the third rated NFL QB prospect for the 24' draft, if he goes pro.

It's hard to know who will make it in the league.
Yet Brock Purdy is leading the best team in the NFL to the playoffs. He was the last pick in the 2022 draft.

Part of the reason Purdy is doing well is because he's surrounded by great players at every position.
If Jayden Daniels is drafted by Arizona or Charlotte he won't have that to look forward to. He may not even start his first couple of seasons wherever he goes. If he tries playing like he has in college he'll be on IR by the 6th game or sooner.

If Jayden Daniels is drafted by Arizona or Charlotte
Chicago owns Carolina's #1 pick and it should be the #1 overall pick. It's unclear if Arizona will move on from Kyler Murray but New England will likely pick in the top 3.

Chicago owns Carolina's #1 pick and it should be the #1 overall pick. It's unclear if Arizona will move on from Kyler Murray but New England will likely pick in the top 3.
So what. I was just giving you examples of bad teams.
Chances are Daniels may not even go in the first round.

Portland State is not a good team. They have a losing record. Along with the vast majority of Oregon's schedule, Portland St, Hawaii, CU, Stanford, Cal, Wash St, Az St, all had losing records and TTU was .500. So 8 of there 13 games were against teams at or below .500. That's 75% of their schedule for those keeping score at home. The other 5 games were 2 against WSU which they lost, Unranked Utah., Ore St, and a USC team who doesn't play defense.

You're banging on teams like Army but they had a winning record, and played a tougher schedule than Portland St. Same with Georgia St.

BTW LSU played 3 teams in the top 10. Winning one of those games. How many wins does Oregon have against top 10 teams again?

Bo Nix was playing in the 4th quarter of their game against 3 win Cal. He scored one of his 6 TD's in the 4th when they were up by 4 scores. You're talking out of your ass.

Forum List

Back