Most Notorious NFL moments, in general (or from your team)

Mr. Friscus

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2020
Let’s start this off with a bang, I’m a Browns fan

1. "Red Right 88": The Browns lost to the Raiders 14-12 in a 1981 AFC Divisional playoff game. The Browns had the ball on the Raiders' 13 yard line with less than a minute to play. Kicking a field goal wins the game. Instead, "Red Right 88" is called, which involves a pass to the tight end which gets intercepted and ends the Browns season.

2. "The Drive": In the 1986 AFC Championship game, The 12-4 Browns were up 20-13 over the 11-5 John Elway Denver Broncos with 5:32 left in regulation, and the Broncos were backed up on their own 2 yard line, in Cleveland. "The Drive" involved Elway leading a methodical, time-draining drive against an elite Browns defense and rabid home crowd, ending by throwing a 5 yd TD pass to Mark Jackson with 39 seconds left in the game to tie it at 20-20. The Broncos went on to win 23-20 to go to the Super Bowl.

3. "The Fumble": In the 1987 AFC Champsionship game, the 10-5 Browns again faced the 10-4-1 Broncos. The Browns trailed 21-3 at halftime but brought the game back to 31-31 in the 4th quarter. Elway put the Broncos up 38-31, which led to the play on the next Browns posession. The Browns were on the 8 yard line, and QB Bernie Kosar handed the ball off to star RB Earnest Byner who looked to have a relatively easy TD, but a Broncos defender oddly knocked the ball out his grasp on the 3 yard line, of which the Broncos recovered. They ran multiple plays to burn up Cleveland's time outs, and then, up 38-31, intentionally took a safety to avoid a punt return to make it 38-33 with such little time left. Kosar threw up a "Hail Mary" that wasn't answered, and the Broncos beat the Browns again to go to the Superbowl.

4. "Bottle-gate". In 2001, the newly reformed Cleveland Browns were 6-6 and the city was starving for a winning football team after the former Browns moved to Baltimore. The Browns were losign 15-10 to the Jacksonville Jaguars in Cleveland, and with 1 minute left QB Tim Couch hit Quincy Morgan for a 3 yard pass on 4th and 2 to questionably move the chains. Amidst the chaos, Couch hurried the team into formation and spiked the ball with 48 seconds left to prevent looking into the 4th down play. The Refs announced they would look 2 plays back to see if the 4th down was converted, which isn't legal in the NFL, of which they overturned and gave the ball to Jacksonville, ending the game. The Browns fans were enraged, and began chucking mostly plastic but some glass beer bottles onto the field and at the refs. The teams left the field, the refs barely made it out, and were ordered by the league to return later so that Jacksonville could kneel down to complete the game.

5. "The Dwayne Rudd Game": A year after the Browns being NFL doormats for the first 2 years as an expansion team actually made the playoffs in 2001, Week 1 saw the Browns vs. Chiefs, ready to make another promising run. At the end of the game at home in Cleveland, the Browns are up 39-37 with seconds remaining as the Chiefs are out of field goal range and trying to pass for a long TD. A massive Browns pass rush appears to sack Cheifs QB Trent Green, and the game seems all but over. However, the ball was lateraled by Green to another Chiefs player who advanced the ball a few yards as time expired. The problem for the Browns was, in the heat of thinking the play was over with the supposed-sack, LB Dwayne Rudd ripped his helmet off in celebration and chucked it acrossed the field, which is an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. The penalty called for a 15 yard penalty, and put the Chiefs into FG range, and a game cannot end on a penalty. Thus, a timeless down was added so that the Cheifs could kick a game-winning FG to win 40-39.

I'll just stick to some of the notorious Browns moments for now, but what can you guys come up with. And please, share the story.

2019 Ravens Game: The Week 1 contest of the 2019 season had the Dolphins hosting the Ravens, a team that Miami had struggled against in the recent past. Lamar Jackson began his MVP season by completing 17 of 20 passes for 324 yards and 5 touchdowns before being benched for Robert Griffin III, who himself went 6 for 6 for 55 yards and a score. Miami lost 59-10 in what was a nearly unwatchable game

Raiders getting a boatload of Cash & three 1st Round Draft Pics For Jon Gruden ( Then the Raiders had to Play Gruden’s Tampa Bay Team In following Super Bowl )

"The Catch"......Dal/SF, 1981

I actually broke up some furniture over that one. I was young and dumb.

I must have thought it was really important at the time. Now I could give a fuck whether they win or lose.

The Holy Roller. Raiders vs. Chargers. It caused the NFL to rewrite their rules on fumbles in the final minutes of a game.

It was a Super Bowl. And the phrase that pays dividends (grief) was:

“Wide right!”
It pained me to listen to Scott Norwood kill himself over missing that FG in the 30 for 30 Documentary entitled "The 4 falls of Buffalo"... like dude, stop doing that to yourself.

Raiders getting a boatload of Cash & three 1st Round Draft Pics For Jon Gruden ( Then the Raiders had to Play Gruden’s Tampa Bay Team In following Super Bowl )
A lot of people have thoughts on how odd that whole situation was... especially multiple HOF Raiders players who talk about the gameplan being changed last second for no apparent reason. The term "Sabotage" is thrown around by Jerry Rice... that makes my ears perk up a bit.

The Holy Roller. Raiders vs. Chargers. It caused the NFL to rewrite their rules on fumbles in the final minutes of a game.
The Tuck Game , The Sea of Hands , The Ghost to the Post , The Immaculate reception , The Mistake by the Lake , So many Raiders Adventures

A lot of people have thoughts on how odd that whole situation was... especially multiple HOF Raiders players who talk about the gameplan being changed last second for no apparent reason. The term "Sabotage" is thrown around by Jerry Rice... that makes my ears perk up a bit.
The All Pro Center and best Lineman on the team goes on a Bender in Mexico and has a mental breakdown and disappears the day before the Game .

Let’s start this off with a bang, I’m a Browns fan

1. "Red Right 88": The Browns lost to the Raiders 14-12 in a 1981 AFC Divisional playoff game. The Browns had the ball on the Raiders' 13 yard line with less than a minute to play. Kicking a field goal wins the game. Instead, "Red Right 88" is called, which involves a pass to the tight end which gets intercepted and ends the Browns season.

2. "The Drive": In the 1986 AFC Championship game, The 12-4 Browns were up 20-13 over the 11-5 John Elway Denver Broncos with 5:32 left in regulation, and the Broncos were backed up on their own 2 yard line, in Cleveland. "The Drive" involved Elway leading a methodical, time-draining drive against an elite Browns defense and rabid home crowd, ending by throwing a 5 yd TD pass to Mark Jackson with 39 seconds left in the game to tie it at 20-20. The Broncos went on to win 23-20 to go to the Super Bowl.

3. "The Fumble": In the 1987 AFC Champsionship game, the 10-5 Browns again faced the 10-4-1 Broncos. The Browns trailed 21-3 at halftime but brought the game back to 31-31 in the 4th quarter. Elway put the Broncos up 38-31, which led to the play on the next Browns posession. The Browns were on the 8 yard line, and QB Bernie Kosar handed the ball off to star RB Earnest Byner who looked to have a relatively easy TD, but a Broncos defender oddly knocked the ball out his grasp on the 3 yard line, of which the Broncos recovered. They ran multiple plays to burn up Cleveland's time outs, and then, up 38-31, intentionally took a safety to avoid a punt return to make it 38-33 with such little time left. Kosar threw up a "Hail Mary" that wasn't answered, and the Broncos beat the Browns again to go to the Superbowl.

4. "Bottle-gate". In 2001, the newly reformed Cleveland Browns were 6-6 and the city was starving for a winning football team after the former Browns moved to Baltimore. The Browns were losign 15-10 to the Jacksonville Jaguars in Cleveland, and with 1 minute left QB Tim Couch hit Quincy Morgan for a 3 yard pass on 4th and 2 to questionably move the chains. Amidst the chaos, Couch hurried the team into formation and spiked the ball with 48 seconds left to prevent looking into the 4th down play. The Refs announced they would look 2 plays back to see if the 4th down was converted, which isn't legal in the NFL, of which they overturned and gave the ball to Jacksonville, ending the game. The Browns fans were enraged, and began chucking mostly plastic but some glass beer bottles onto the field and at the refs. The teams left the field, the refs barely made it out, and were ordered by the league to return later so that Jacksonville could kneel down to complete the game.

5. "The Dwayne Rudd Game": A year after the Browns being NFL doormats for the first 2 years as an expansion team actually made the playoffs in 2001, Week 1 saw the Browns vs. Chiefs, ready to make another promising run. At the end of the game at home in Cleveland, the Browns are up 39-37 with seconds remaining as the Chiefs are out of field goal range and trying to pass for a long TD. A massive Browns pass rush appears to sack Cheifs QB Trent Green, and the game seems all but over. However, the ball was lateraled by Green to another Chiefs player who advanced the ball a few yards as time expired. The problem for the Browns was, in the heat of thinking the play was over with the supposed-sack, LB Dwayne Rudd ripped his helmet off in celebration and chucked it acrossed the field, which is an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. The penalty called for a 15 yard penalty, and put the Chiefs into FG range, and a game cannot end on a penalty. Thus, a timeless down was added so that the Cheifs could kick a game-winning FG to win 40-39.

I'll just stick to some of the notorious Browns moments for now, but what can you guys come up with. And please, share the story.

"The Catch"......Dal/SF, 1981

I actually broke up some furniture over that one. I was young and dumb.

I must have thought it was really important at the time. Now I could give a fuck whether they win or lose.

That's funny to read because I (without realizing it) tore up the carpet in my mothers living room. I had a handful and it came up in two lines that were perpendicular to each other. My mother just stared at me.

Then Danny White completes a great pass and it looks like a field goal is a real possibility.....but Dallas fumbles the ball away. #%##@@#$%#$%^ #

The playoff Game between the Vikings & Cowboys that Cowboys Receiver # 88 miraculously materialized a ball in the corner of the end zone and the Point after won the game An the Vikings fans rioted and a fan threw and hit a Ref in the head with a 32 Oz Glass Pop bottle giving him Brain Damage

The Tuck Game ,
Such a blunder by the league, and unknowingly changed the league for 20 years.

Bledsoe was "the guy" in New England, and had very good stats to back it up. They were in the Super Bowl 2 years prior. When he got injured, and the backup was injured as well, in came a stiff named Tom Brady who played very small, but did enough game-managing to not lose with an elite defense to maintain serve. This game exposed him, and while it was tough for all, he was absolutely bailed out.

Had that play been called correctly, the obvious "stiff" Brady (at the time) would have been sat back on the bench while the higher octane Drew Bledsoe would have continued to lead the Patriots the next year. The only way Brady was staying at the helm was by being the guy who happened to play QB while the historically great patriots defense dragged him to a Super Bowl.. and he sure took credit for it.

Brady didnt' develop into an elite talent until after he won 3 super bowls.

Forum List

Back