Where does the ozone absorption energy go?

rupol2000

Gold Member
Aug 22, 2021
Ozone is believed to absorb ultraviolet radiation. Since radiation has energy, it means that it is energy absorption. Obviously, the ozone layer cannot accumulate it indefinitely. So it must go somewhere.

PS I think I found it. First, O2 dissociates, then it turns into thermal motion.

Last edited:
Ozone absorbs one "high-energy" photon of dangerous UV radiation and then releases two "low-energy" photons of not dangerous radiation ... photons have no mass to be conserved, we only need the combined energy of the released two photons to be the same as the energy of the absorbed photon ... thus conserving energy ... what UV tears apart, the 2nd Law puts back together ...

Indeed we have something of a reverse greenhouse effect ... this incoming parallel energy in the UV photons are absorbed and re-emitting radially ... thus sending some energy back out into space not having contributed to global temperatures ... alas there's not much solar energy getting to us in the UV part of the spectrum ... the sun doesn't emit that much in this frequency interval ...

Ozone is believed to absorb ultraviolet radiation. Since radiation has energy, it means that it is energy absorption. Obviously, the ozone layer cannot accumulate it indefinitely. So it must go somewhere.

PS I think I found it. First, O2 dissociates, then it turns into thermal motion.
Right.
Ozone is extremely valuable since it absorbs a range of ultraviolet energy. When an ozone molecule absorbs even low-energy ultraviolet radiation, it splits into an ordinary oxygen molecule and a free oxygen atom. Usually this free oxygen atom quickly re-joins with an oxygen molecule to form another ozone molecule. Because of this "ozone-oxygen cycle," harmful ultraviolet radiation is continuously converted into heat.
Don't blame Reiny, "heat" being the product any hardcore denier would dance a jig before admitting.
something of a reverse greenhouse effect
:auiqs.jpg:

Right.

Don't blame Reiny, "heat" being the product any hardcore denier would dance a jig before admitting.

:auiqs.jpg:

That's what I said nit-wit ...

Read your own link ...

"In the stratosphere, ozone is created primarily by ultraviolet radiation. When high-energy ultraviolet rays strike ordinary oxygen molecules (O2), they split the molecule into two single oxygen atoms, known as atomic oxygen. A freed oxygen atom then combines with another oxygen molecule to form a molecule of ozone. There is so much oxygen in our atmosphere, that these high-energy ultraviolet rays are completely absorbed in the stratosphere."

Why do you think there's a bump in the temperature trace through this altitude? ... or are you just destroying energy willy-nilly? ... we have to show conservation if it's not obvious ...

And, though now making fart noises while backpedaling, apparently still way too Reiny for any mention of "heat" :sigh2::p

Forum List

Back