When neighbors believe that their cats are entitled to kill your birds.

Rikurzhen

Gold Member
Jul 24, 2014
From the UK:

An Oxford University educated research chemist has issued his cat-owning neighbours with leaflets warning them of "drastic action" if they continue to let their animals roam free and kill the birds in his garden.

Dr Clive Mowforth claims he has received arson threats in response to the leaflets after he told owners they should control their cats and stop letting them roam free to "murder" dozens of birds in his specially redeveloped garden. . . . .

“In the last week alone, cats have killed a jackdaw, a blackbird and a house sparrow,” said Dr Mowforth.

“I was watching the sparrow whilst eating my dinner. She was sat quietly enjoying the food in the evening sun when a cat leapt right onto the shoulder-height table, grabbed the bird and ran off. This was the final straw.”

The 57-year-old said he has spent more than 10 years converting the garden at his Gloucestershire home into a “paradise for birds” and set up video surveillance when he noticed how numbers had fallen and how many were being killed.​

And here's the response from one of the cat-owning neighbors:

Amanda Woods, 39, who has two cats in the street, said: "There is nothing you can do to stop your cats going in other people's gardens - unless you have house cats.

"One of the cats is my nine year old son's cat and he got really upset when he saw the letter.

"We all got leaflets through the door, it's all over Facebook.

"If he doesn't like cats in his garden there are things he could do about it.​

So because she doesn't want to restrict her cats to her own property nor keep them as indoor cats, the problem of her cats killing the birds on his property is not her concern and all responsibility falls on the bird-lover to patrol his property to keep the cats out?

The better solution is to just make the cats disappear. Let the owners search for them forever. People will soon get the message.

He has no right to kill someone's pets. That said, the cats owners should be more cooperative. The bird lover should fence his yard or secure it someway to keep the cats out. And the cat owners should help him to do it. You know, behave neighborly.

They are not his birds. Just because they go into his yard doesn't mean they belong to him. He has no right to stop the cats from killing them, unless there are rules that the local council has set out.

He has no right to kill someone's pets. That said, the cats owners should be more cooperative. The bird lover should fence his yard or secure it someway to keep the cats out. And the cat owners should help him to do it. You know, behave neighborly.

That's backwards. The cat owners should either fence their property and leash their cat or keep their cats indoors.

What you're proposing is the shifting of responsibility onto the bird-lover when in fact the responsibility lies with the cat-owner who opens his door and shooes his cat outside.

Secondly, I'm pretty sure that cats aren't put-off by fences. They have this super-ninja move called "a jump" which works to make fences ineffective.

The responsibility would lie with the cat owner if the next door neighbor acted owned the birds on his property. As it is, he does not - and is simply encouraging birds to shit all over the neighbors lawn. What about that?

They are not his birds. Just because they go into his yard doesn't mean they belong to him. He has no right to stop the cats from killing them, unless there are rules that the local council has set out.

All he has to do is shoot the cats and the problem is solved. Alternatively he can trap the cats and then release them 50 miles away and that also solves the problem. Now the cats can kill all the birds they want to eat but 50 miles from his house.

True. The birds do not belong to him. The cats are someone's pets. But people have a responsibility to control and contain their pets. Understanding that not everyone welcomes your fuzzy friend into their environment should prompt you to better contain you furry companion.

All he has to do is shoot the cats and the problem is solved. Alternatively he can trap the cats and then release them 50 miles away and that also solves the problem. Now the cats can kill all the birds they want to eat but 50 miles from his house.

You miss the point and that is that the birds are NOT his pets - the cats are. He is encouraging a menace by allowing birds on his property.

True. The birds do not belong to him. The cats are someone's pets. But people have a responsibility to control and contain their pets. Understanding that not everyone welcomes your fuzzy friend into their environment should prompt you to better contain you furry companion.

True - but my guess is that the cats wouldn't venture into the yard if the lure of birds wasn't there. The bird man is causing the problem by encouraging the birds.

You miss the point and that is that the birds are NOT his pets - the cats are. He is encouraging a menace by allowing birds on his property.

:lol::lol::lol:
gotta love a true rebel......you rock, Noomi.

Put the cat in a sack and dump it into a forest 50 miles away.

Let the cat owners wonder where their pet is and let them beat themselves silly for being so irresponsible as to let their pets roam free. They could certainly suspect the bird-man but suspicion isn't enough to do anything with.

You hate cats, we get it. Now fuck off, you hateful freak.

I don't hate cats. I hate self-involved, selfish cat owners who think it's not their responsibility to control their pet and who put that responsibility onto the bird-lover.

I don't know what the law is in the UK but in many US states property owners have the right to shoot pets who are on his property disturbing the animals on his property. This guy set up a bird sanctuary, and to me that qualifies just like if he set up a chicken coop.

Forum List

Back