When man tells God, you can't....

Words in a 2000 year old book. He needs an update. God 2.0.
Perhaps try good commentaries...
All I'm saying is that god needs a better PR person. The book? Nah, it's been debunked over and over again. And believers can't even agree on what the book says and means. Time for an update from god, to straighten this whole thing out. You wouldn't welcome that?

You are one of the perplexed. You need a guide. How do I know?

Because you think she is talking about words in a specific book. Instead of the power that words can convey.

But putting that aside your "studies" have brought you into collision with religion. You believe you have studied philosophy and have acquired sound knowledge and have a firm grasp on religious matters, but in reality your childish interpretations of the ambiguous and figurative expressions employed in the holy writings shows you are perplexed and bewildered.
But whose guide? Believers can't all agree on what the bible means. There's so many different sects and viewpoints? I'm for sure not listening to a word salad like you. :lmao:

Because you think she is talking about words in a specific book. Instead of the power that words can convey.

But putting that aside your "studies" have brought you into collision with religion. You believe you have studied philosophy and have acquired sound knowledge and have a firm grasp on religious matters, but in reality your childish interpretations of the ambiguous and figurative expressions employed in the holy writings shows you are perplexed and bewildered.
But whose guide? Believers can't all agree on what the bible means. There's so many different sects and viewpoints? I'm for sure not listening to a word salad like you. :lmao:
The problem isn't which guide, Taz. The problem is you. You aren't serious. But you are perplexed.

The problem isn't which guide, Taz. The problem is you. You aren't serious. But you are perplexed.
So any guide? Mormons, Baptists, Protestants... it doesn't matter? I've always been serious about real proof, it's a cool concept, but severely no real proof.

So any guide? Mormons, Baptists, Protestants... it doesn't matter? I've always been serious about real proof, it's a cool concept, but severely no real proof.
When you are serious. Sure. Why not?

All I'm saying is that god needs a better PR person. The book? Nah, it's been debunked over and over again. And believers can't even agree on what the book says and means. Time for an update from god, to straighten this whole thing out. You wouldn't welcome that?
I am unclear what you intend by "debunked". For example, for 1970s Evangelicals who began promoting the idea that everything in the Bible should be taken literally, Biblical scholars and most other Christian sects, immediately began "debunking" this idea. The same with Bishop Ussher's calculations on the age of the earth. Then there has been the debunking of the late nineteenth century proposal that good people will be "raptured" (meaning disappearing from the face of the earth and landing in heaven). Then there are the people who jumped to the conclusion that when the story of Noah uses the English word earth, that meant the entire planet, not the earth/dirt/land in sight. People need to go back to the original Hebrew to discern this difference.

God is not needed to set this record straight. It was straight to begin with, and there are many, many people today who can straighten out the proposals of those people in the last few hundred years who were convinced they knew better than their own elders. They have already been debunked--God has no need to do what has already been done.

You just take out the nice bits, ignore the icky bits and pretend it's something worthwhile.

Instead of questioning why the icky bits are in there to start with.
Human life and life on earth has ickiness. We would question if those icky bits were not included. Do you have something specific in mind?

I am unclear what you intend by "debunked". For example, for 1970s Evangelicals who began promoting the idea that everything in the Bible should be taken literally, Biblical scholars and most other Christian sects, immediately began "debunking" this idea. The same with Bishop Ussher's calculations on the age of the earth. Then there has been the debunking of the late nineteenth century proposal that good people will be "raptured" (meaning disappearing from the face of the earth and landing in heaven). Then there are the people who jumped to the conclusion that when the story of Noah uses the English word earth, that meant the entire planet, not the earth/dirt/land in sight. People need to go back to the original Hebrew to discern this difference.

God is not needed to set this record straight. It was straight to begin with, and there are many, many people today who can straighten out the proposals of those people in the last few hundred years who were convinced they knew better than their own elders. They have already been debunked--God has no need to do what has already been done.
C’mon, too many people have a different interpretation of the bible. God should come and clear things up. Fo’ shizzle.

You just take out the nice bits, ignore the icky bits and pretend it's something worthwhile.

Instead of questioning why the icky bits are in there to start with.
Human life and life on earth has ickiness. We would question if those icky bits were not included. Do you have something specific in mind?
Why does god make deformed and retarded babies?

C’mon, too many people have a different interpretation of the bible. God should come and clear things up. Fo’ shizzle.
If you wanted, you could clear it up yourself. No one needed to do your work for you as you are quite capable of undertaking the task on your own. I think, maybe, there are other things in your life that have priority over this one? It is not a quick, easy task--and it is not for everyone--even for very good people.

You are unable to love deformed and retarded babies? From time-to-time I work with these special populations (now grown to middle school/high school). They are some of the most amazing people I have ever had the pleasure to know.

If you wanted, you could clear it up yourself. No one needed to do your work for you as you are quite capable of undertaking the task on your own. I think, maybe, there are other things in your life that have priority over this one? It is not a quick, easy task--and it is not for everyone--even for very good people.
So you’re saying that any interpretation that I come up with is good?

Okay, here's the thing, you Christians have been murdering each other for a thousand years over interpretations of what the Bible "Really" means. That is when you haven't been murdering indigenous people for their beliefs, or Muslims or Jews for not believing that shit at all.

"You don't believe in Transubstantiation?"
"Um, nope, doesn't taste like flesh and blood to me, just stale bread and cheap wine!"
"DIE, HERETIC!!!!"

Um, yeah, reject the whole thing as a lot of pagan superstition and have a belief system based on science and reason.

The problem is, you guys leave out the ickiness because you want to deny your Sky Pixie endorsed it. Slavery. Not God's fault, even though he endorses the practice throughout the bible. Never once in the bible do they say Slavery is wrong. (Moses didn't want to end Slavery, he just wanted the Hebrews to return to Canaan).

Witch Burning? Today we know that there aren't women who gain power through selling their souls to Satan. But man, 300 years ago, people thought that shit was totally real and burned women for that. The bible said so.

We are seeing a similar thing with homosexuality today. In 50 years, all the churches will denounce homophobia and perform gay marriages... and try to pretend that wasn't REALLY what God meant.

God doesn't change his mind, but we change ours.

You are unable to love deformed and retarded babies? From time-to-time I work with these special populations (now grown to middle school/high school). They are some of the most amazing people I have ever had the pleasure to know.
No but seriously, why does god makes severely handicapped people?
I know a retarded woman, she’s super nice, but why would god fuck up her faculties so much?

Were the more recent interpretations of Young Earth, Global Flood, Rapture, Everything in the Bible Literal "good interpretations"? Even the tiniest bit of actual research into original language, history, and cultures argues against all of these modern day Western interpretations.

How would you improve the above interpretations? I chose to go back and research the intent of the original author and what he was conveying to his original audience. These latter day interpretations are by people who seem to want to convey something different to their current audience. What is the purpose promoting those differences?

Okay, here's the thing, you Christians have been murdering each other for a thousand years over interpretations of what the Bible "Really" means. That is when you haven't been murdering indigenous people for their beliefs, or Muslims or Jews for not believing that shit at all.

"You don't believe in Transubstantiation?"
"Um, nope, doesn't taste like flesh and blood to me, just stale bread and cheap wine!"
"DIE, HERETIC!!!!"
When did this last murder take place? What was the name of the last person who died for not believing in Transubstantiation? Or, did you make this up? While you are looking up that bit of information, perhaps look up murder statistics on these other groups as well. Or, are you asserting only Christians ever killed anyone?

Were the more recent interpretations of Young Earth, Global Flood, Rapture, Everything in the Bible Literal "good interpretations"? Even the tiniest bit of actual research into original language, history, and cultures argues against all of these modern day Western interpretations.

How would you improve the above interpretations? I chose to go back and research the intent of the original author and what he was conveying to his original audience. These latter day interpretations are by people who seem to want to convey something different to their current audience. What is the purpose promoting those differences?
So how do you know that your interpretation is the right one?

Forum List

Back