What’s wrong with this job?

So...you did not read the post.

You are so full of shit it bubbles out your ears. What, exactly, is unclear about, "They have not had a single response?"

You are assuming the OP is telling the truth about this.

Under general supervision, perform all aspects of planning and completion of electric GIS/CAD projects. The preparation and perpetuation of standard maps and records of all electric facilities with physical plant.

Key Accountabilities

• Perform and complete GIS/Tabular 'As Built' design changes for construction and confirming work requests
  • Perform and complete all types of GIS File Manager Model changes and CAD map/drawing changes
  • Modify feeders configurations within GIS in support of facility betterment projects, feeder rearrangements and switching
  • Produce and maintain GIS Map Products utilizing GIS mapping tools
  • Produce and maintain Non-GIS Maps/Drawings utilizing CAD Applications
  • Assist with the design of Conventional Manhole, Duct and URD Systems utilizing GIS/CAD Systems and perform GIS/CAD 'As Built' design changes
  • Provide mapping support and coordination for various initiatives
  • Perform queries of the GIS data model in support of specific asset data requests
  • Provide support to the Regional Control Centers to ensure accuracy of EMS/OMS/DMS and GIS Systems
  • Record on appropriate prints or drawings additions and retirements of facilities as shown on construction and retirement orders and associated completion reports
  • Analyze completion reports and reconcile with information added to or removed from the prints or drawings relating to any asset classes
  • Check construction and retirement orders together with their completion reports in the field against the actual installations and retirements of equipment
  • Ordering and distributing to various departments, prints prepared from standard maps
  • Taking field measurements and physical inventories of electric production, transmission, and distribution plant
  • Check construction and retirement orders together with their completion reports in the field against the actual installations and retirements of equipment
  • Make periodic check of plant property records with physical property in the field
  • Assisting higher classifications with work assignments.
Qualifications

• AAS Degree in Engineering Technology Required
  • Documented 2 years of design experience in Geographic Information Systems Required
  • Documented experience in both cartography and geospatial analysis Preferred.
  • Documented 2 years of experience in Microstation/AutoCAD applications Required.
  • Satisfactory completion of a validated aptitude testing, as determined by the Company
  • Ability to undertake technical work, requiring a limited amount of technical guidance and supervision
  • Proficiency in MS Office Applications
  • Self motivated, taking responsibility for work, supporting it from start to finish
  • Interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to work within a team environment and to interact effectively with all company personnel
  • Must be able to respond off hours for planned or emergency overtime
  • Ability to handle contacts with other districts and departments in connection with job duties
  • Ability to read maps and construction drawings and knowledge of equipment and materials used in electric plant facilities
  • Initiative and ability to make decisions.

There you go. That’s the full text of the job posting, less the employer name. That has been the job description since 2009. We’ve never had any issue filling the position before, at lower pay rates. The company benefits include: healthcare (company pays 70%), vacation, sick time, holidays, an enhanced 402K program, an employer funded Pension (3 year vesting), WFH options, 4 or 5 day work week options, etc…
This is not the job market from 13 years ago. Perhaps it's because it's not my field, but I'm having trouble squaring what reads overwhelmingly like a CAD designer with the filed work and emergency overtime. Vacation is low. HC will eat a chink of that salary as well.

Not b.s. I just had one guy do a paint job for me. His base rate was $52.50 per hour. He's looking for 2 more helpers. Wisconsin.
Ahh..so that was the rate quoted by the painting contractor...for how many workers? How much paint? Expenses?
All these things go into the bid. That base rate probably includes wages for 2.

I'm a bit confused about this;

So the requirement is 2 years design experience and an AS in Engineering Technology.
But you note that "This is a mapping job, not an engineering position."

Perhaps things have changed but my understanding is that engineers design and have at least an BS degree in engineering specific to the engineering discipline.

What is your definition of "design"?

Seems that "BS" is the operative term here.

LOL

Alright then, tell us what is missing, that can explain the reason nobody wants the job
Nothing is missing. We are truly stumped about why nobody has even inquired about it. We were hoping to have someone hired by mid-September. Now it looks like early October at the earliest.

My personal interest is that being short one person has literally doubled my workload.
This is not the job market from 13 years ago. Perhaps it's because it's not my field, but I'm having trouble squaring what reads overwhelmingly like a CAD designer with the filed work and emergency overtime. Vacation is low. HC will eat a chink of that salary as wwell
It’s a CAD/GIS mapping position. We maintain the CAD maps and do QA/QC and revision work on the GIS mapping system. We deal with field employees but don’t do field work ourselves. In the case of storms, EVERYONE who works at a utility company works OT. Even the secretaries, clerks, and meter readers.

Nothing is missing. We are truly stumped about why nobody has even inquired about it. We were hoping to have someone hired by mid-September. Now it looks like early October at the earliest.

My personal interest is that being short one person has literally doubled my workload.

It’s a CAD/GIS mapping position. We maintain the CAD maps and do QA/QC and revision work on the GIS mapping system. We deal with field employees but don’t do field work ourselves. In the case of storms, EVERYONE who works at a utility company works OT. Even the secretaries, clerks, and meter readers.
Then you may want to take this out of the description:

• Taking field measurements and physical inventories of electric production, transmission, and distribution plant
Because to me, that says get out in the field and measure.

Because to me, that says get out in the field and measure
We used to do that. We don’t anymore. The last time the Company allowed us to review the job descriptions was in 2013 (when we were still doing it). In 2017 and 2022 the just negotiated extensions with the Union. The next time we MAY set the chance is 2026.

We used to do that. We don’t anymore. The last time the Company allowed us to review the job descriptions was in 2013 (when we were still doing it). In 2017 and 2022 the just negotiated extensions with the Union. The next time we MAY set the chance is 2026.
So you publish an hopelessly out of date job description and wonder why it may not appeal to applicants? Remember, the same way my resume has to be perfect because I don't get a chance to explain it before the interview, a jd also has to be perfect because you can't explain it to someone who won't apply.

So you publish an hopelessly out of date job description and wonder why it may not appeal to applicants? Remember, the same way my resume has to be perfect because I don't get a chance to explain it before the interview, a jd also has to be perfect because you can't explain it to someone who won't apply
Thst IS the current job description, per the current contract. It will remain that way until at least May 12, 2026. It can’t be changed and we must post the current contract job description as the job posting.

They COULD send us out to do field investigations again. In fact, for certain things we’d be happy to do it.

Thst IS the current job description, per the current contract. It will remain that way until at least May 12, 2026. It can’t be changed and we must post the current contract job description as the job posting.

They COULD send us out to do field investigations again. In fact, for certain things we’d be happy to do it.
AutoCad is a very detailed program. I have been trained in its use. I guess it is possible that with the past two years of scamdemic, maybe there is a shortage of trained people--also, entry level people haven't been working for the last two years so it is possible there is a shortage of people who can meet the experience requirement.

That’s what the current Dept members have been told by the Company. I have no reason to doubt our Supervisor. He wants the job filled ASAP as much as we do.

AutoCAD is a very common piece of CAD software. It’s pretty much the Indio standard. They’re not being specific on which GIS software they want.

We don’t have the time or the capability to train on both of the major software platforms we utilize. There’s a pretty steep learning curve for this position. It’s pretty much all OJT while you’re doing work.

We don’t have a corporate training program for our Engineers or Designers, they’re definitely not going to “waste” (their word, not mine) money on a training program for our department.

AutoCad is pretty common in industry. There is other popular 3D design software but for mapping, the company I work for (a very well known utility), it is AutoCAD. I have never been a hiring manager so have no experience with the variance for applicant but, no doubt, you are finding it difficult to believe as well. There aren't a lot of option. The pay scale and benefits aren't insulting, particularly for an AS degree.

Maybe it is just a market fluke and will turn around after the holiday.

E
In the US, it is pretty standard that a new hire gets 1 week after the first year--two weeks after two years with varying times for the 3-week step.
Ours is 80 hours on the January 1st after you have completed your 6 month probation. 120 hours at 5 years of service. 9 additional houes at years 11, 12, 13,14 & 15 (160 hours total at 15 years). 40 additional hours at 20 years. We can also purchase up to 40 hours of vacation as a benefit each year.

Ahh..so that was the rate quoted by the painting contractor...for how many workers? How much paint? Expenses?
All these things go into the bid. That base rate probably includes wages for 2.
One man. One. Can you read ? Probably not.

Forum List

Back