What’s wrong with this job?

Anathema

Crotchety Olde Man
Apr 30, 2014
The Olden Days
My department at work has posted a new job opening and after three weeks hasn’t had a single response. It’s posted on all the major job boards and websites. I’m trying to figure out why we’re not getting any interest. We’ve never had trouble filling this position before. Here’s the abbreviated job description…

Maps & Records Technician B

Salary $38.40 an hour.

Under general supervision, perform all aspects of planning and completion of electric GIS/CAD projects. The preparation and perpetuation of standard maps and records of all electric facilities with physical plant.

Qualifications
  • AAS Degree in Engineering Technology Required
  • Documented 2 years of design experience in Geographic Information Systems or AutoCAD Required.
  • Satisfactory completion of a validated aptitude testing, as determined by the Company
  • Must be able to respond off hours for planned or emergency overtime.

This position offers WFH and flexible schedule options after initial training. Benefits include: employer healthcare, 2 weeks paid vacation, sick time, 401K program, Pension, paid holidays, etc… It IS a Union position with progression and bidding rights.

Not sure why suddenly nobody seems to want the job when just a couple years ago we had an over abundance of candidates.

My department at work has posted a new job opening and after three weeks hasn’t had a single response. It’s posted on all the major job boards and websites. I’m trying to figure out why we’re not getting any interest. We’ve never had trouble filling this position before. Here’s the abbreviated job description…

This position offers WFH and flexible schedule options after initial training. Benefits include: employer healthcare, 2 weeks paid vacation, sick time, 401K program, Pension, paid holidays, etc… It IS a Union position with progression and bidding rights.

Not sure why suddenly nobody seems to want the job when just a couple years ago we had an over abundance of candidates.
Looks good to me..but..a lot of folks are not into mandatory overtime and emergency call-ins.

Is the overtime time and a half or straight time?

I need a job, but I don't have a degree in engineering.

I doubt engineering is a degree most of these Wokers are NOT going for, as it entails actual brains and intelligence.

Engineering is slowly becoming a thing of the past. Even though it is a basic need for civilization.

I need a job, but I don't have a degree in engineering.

I doubt engineering is a degree most of these Wokers are NOT going for, as it entails actual brains and intelligence.

Engineering is slowly becoming a thing of the past. Even though it is a basic need for civilization.
Well we have to make room for pronoun studies and gender education

I need a job, but I don't have a degree in engineering
Engineering Technology. It’s a 2 year degree in the principles of engineering. It’s not a 4 year engineering degree.

More and more often places are not looking for 4 year degrees engineers because of the salary expectation of 4-5 year degree holding engineers.

The required experience is pretty specific. Couldn’t anyone with an engineering degree learn the job?

The vast majority of people seeking employment simply do not meet those qualifications.

Offer better pay.

The required experience is pretty specific. Couldn’t anyone with an engineering degree learn the job?
Again, it’s not an engineering degree they’re looking for. It’s an engineering technology or GIS degree. This is a mapping job, not an engineering position.

We don’t have the capability/time to teach both our major software platforms to someone. They need to know at least one of them already or they’re going to end up behind very quickly.

Offer better pay.
$38.40 for an entry-level position isn’t enough? Too bad. That’s a contractually mandated rate. Current rate for the ultimate progression job on the roster is currently $44.53 an hour. 3% contractual raises through 2025.

Offhand as a retired engineer, I'd say that the main problem I see there other than the measly 2 weeks vacation (in Europe, they start at six), is the SALARY. It's a little light in the loafers and should be more like $50/hr. You mention them looking for 2-year associate degrees-- -- sounds like a skimpy process whereby they are choosing cheap over experience and quality. You get what you pay for and that is probably why the positions need filled. . . . they're just not willing to pay.

Why work there when I can go elsewhere, do the same work and make $50-$75 an hour?

There is a lack of qualified applicants, keyword being 'qualified'. Perhaps that location is not a preferred destination, although WFH would remediate that.

Why work there when I can go elsewhere, do
For about the fifth time…

THIS IS NOT AN ENGINEERING JOB!!!

This is a mapping position. What would be a drafter/designer position in a regular engineering office. That’s why the job title is “MAPS & RECORDS TECHNICIAN“ not Engineer. a 4 year degrees engineer would be overqualified educationally and under qualified in terms of experience.

I'm a bit confused about this;

So the requirement is 2 years design experience and an AS in Engineering Technology.
But you note that "This is a mapping job, not an engineering position."

Perhaps things have changed but my understanding is that engineers design and have at least an BS degree in engineering specific to the engineering discipline.

What is your definition of "design"?

For about the fifth time…

THIS IS NOT AN ENGINEERING JOB!!!

This is a mapping position. What would be a drafter/designer position in a regular engineering office. That’s why the job title is “MAPS & RECORDS TECHNICIAN“ not Engineer. a 4 year degrees engineer would be overqualified educationally and under qualified in terms of experience.

Well, all I can say is glancing over the job requirements regardless of what they CALL the position, I wouldn't take it for $38/hr. Maybe I would if it literally WAS an entry level position straight out of school with no previous experience required, but with years of experience doing that work required, a person switching jobs is certainly looking to move up into a better pay grade than just $38/hr.

$38.40 for an entry-level position isn’t enough? Too bad. That’s a contractually mandated rate. Current rate for the ultimate progression job on the roster is currently $44.53 an hour. 3% contractual raises through 2025.
There is only so many people out there who are qualified for the job. They would have to be fucking stupid idiots to take a job that pays less than what they can make somewhere else.

Do you really want to hire a bunch of fucking stupid idiots? Would that be a wise business decision?

And on top of that, you're a grumpy old man. Who the fuck would want to work with you? :dunno:

Last edited:

Forum List

Back