What’s wrong with this job?

Anathema, thanks for the update. I hope it all works well for you guys
We will see. Apparently this guy is in his early 20s and has had more of a programming background than an Engineering one. He’s coming to us from the Gas Meter Reading Department.

From what I’m told he’s a hard-charger who wants to change the world. We are a far more laid back department, so it may take a while for him to adjust to our way of doing things.

There’s already been a suggestion that he might fit better in our Analyst position than as a Maps & Records Technician. That position might open up again in a couple years. We’ll have to see what happens.

We will see. Apparently this guy is in his early 20s and has had more of a programming background than an Engineering one. He’s coming to us from the Gas Meter Reading Department.

From what I’m told he’s a hard-charger who wants to change the world. We are a far more laid back department, so it may take a while for him to adjust to our way of doing things.

There’s already been a suggestion that he might fit better in our Analyst position than as a Maps & Records Technician. That position might open up again in a couple years. We’ll have to see what happens.
Anathema, your applicant and I seem to share many attributes. Respectfully, Supposn

Anathema, your applicant and I seem to share many attributes
I’m jut concerned that he’s going to move on quickly when he realizes that innovation is something our department doesn’t really deal with and that there’s a very low ceiling on how far one can advance.

I’m jut concerned that he’s going to move on quickly when he realizes that innovation is something our department doesn’t really deal with and that there’s a very low ceiling on how far one can advance.
I hope your applicant's as intelligent and capable as you fear he may be. Every job requires its own attributes and attitudes. I hope your firm has opportunities and positions that the applicant can be promoted to; that would be best for both him and your firm. Respectfully, Supposn

I hope your applicant's as intelligent and capable as you fear he may be. Every job requires its own attributes and attitudes. I hope your firm has opportunities and positions that the applicant can be promoted to; that would be best for both him and your firm
I hope he is too. I just hope he’s not the type who bangs his head on the metaphorical steel door until he’s concussed, sure he’ll eventually make a dent. I came into the department with a similar mentality. 22 years later I’ve learned my lessons and only take on the battles where there actually a chance that something can be changed. They’re few and far between, which often infuriated me.

He could potentially make a lateral move into Design at some point, but without a 4 year degree his options are seriously limited, as are my own. I have probably 25-30 years left with the company and only one more potential advancement, unless I leave the Union, which I have no interest in doing.

The candidate accepted the offer. He starts on November 14th, assuming that our HR, Labor and IT Departments can get the necessary things done between now and then.

My department at work has posted a new job opening and after three weeks hasn’t had a single response. It’s posted on all the major job boards and websites. I’m trying to figure out why we’re not getting any interest. We’ve never had trouble filling this position before. Here’s the abbreviated job description…

This position offers WFH and flexible schedule options after initial training. Benefits include: employer healthcare, 2 weeks paid vacation, sick time, 401K program, Pension, paid holidays, etc… It IS a Union position with progression and bidding rights.

Not sure why suddenly nobody seems to want the job when just a couple years ago we had an over abundance of candidates.

Lower the pay to $7.25 for the first six months and open it up to any idiot willing to apply. Then bump the pay to $38.40 after 6 months of satisfactory performance. See what happens. Maybe some people are intimidated and afraid they can’t meet the expectations.

My department at work has posted a new job opening and after three weeks hasn’t had a single response. It’s posted on all the major job boards and websites. I’m trying to figure out why we’re not getting any interest. We’ve never had trouble filling this position before. Here’s the abbreviated job description…

This position offers WFH and flexible schedule options after initial training. Benefits include: employer healthcare, 2 weeks paid vacation, sick time, 401K program, Pension, paid holidays, etc… It IS a Union position with progression and bidding rights.

Not sure why suddenly nobody seems to want the job when just a couple years ago we had an over abundance of candidates.

What is going on with the person who previously held the position? Maybe you can entice them to come back.

What is going on with the person who previously held the position? Maybe you can entice them to come back
They moved up to the department’s Supervisor position. The previous Supervisor was promoted to a newly created Department Manager position. There were 3 candidates for the Supervisor position. The other two were from the New York Maps & Records Department.

Lower the pay to $7.25 for the first six months and open it up to any idiot willing to apply. Then bump the pay to $38.40 after 6 months of satisfactory performance. See what happens. Maybe some people are intimidated and afraid they can’t meet the expectations
It’s a Union position, so we couldn’t have done that. Besides, we need someone who can come in and produce work
immediately. Our workload would support another 3-4 Tech positions, but we’re not going to get them.

New guy starts on 11/15. I hope he’s ready to work.

Forum List

Back