What's so unlucky about the number 13?

Ringel05

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2009
Duke City
Seems like it's only unlucky in the west. The number four is considered unlucky in Asia.
Researchers estimate that as many as 10 percent of the U.S. population has a fear of the number 13, and each year the even more specific fear of Friday the 13th, known as paraskevidekatriaphobia, results in financial losses in excess of $800 million annually, as people avoid marrying, traveling or in the most severe cases, even working. But what’s so unlucky about the number 13, and how did this numerical superstition get started?

What’s So Unlucky About the Number 13?

It's my favorite number, and my lucky number.

1645056928789.png

I BELIEVE the origin goes back to the Last Supper. Judas was the 13th and final disciple there. At least that's where I think the idea of 13 being unlucky came from. I used to avoid it when I was younger, now I don't care. It's all a mindset, really. If you believe in something enough, it WILL affect you.

I BELIEVE the origin goes back to the Last Supper. Judas was the 13th and final disciple there. At least that's where I think the idea of 13 being unlucky came from. I used to avoid it when I was younger, now I don't care. It's all a mindset, really. If you believe in something enough, it WILL affect you.

Really? I thought that there were only 12 disciples though.

If you try to meet one offline there's a good chance Chris Hansen will ask you to have a seat over there.
I'd like to know how Hansen knows so much about what 13 year old girls are doing anyway. Somebody should investigate him.

What do you mean?
About what? I don't believe in luck--you are the master of your own destiny. It all depends on your choices in how you handle the events of the day. As for the significance of the number 13--I explained it in post #15. All of those events were of particular note and very significant. That is not to say other numbers haven't been particularly noteworthy as well.

About what? I don't believe in luck--you are the master of your own destiny. It all depends on your choices in how you handle the events of the day. As for the significance of the number 13--I explained it in post #15. All of those events were of particular note and very significant. That is not to say other numbers haven't been particularly noteworthy as well.

Oh, oops I'm sorry I didn't see that before.

Forum List

Back